Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Has the Google app poo poo the bed for anyone else recently? My wife and I both have Samsung S7 Edge phones with the most recent version of Android our carrier will allow (7.0) and since upgrading the Google app has become unresponsive for us both. Not only is the search bar unresponsive (typing a query and hitting enter does nothing), but launching the app itself leads to a blank page with the Google logo and a perpetually spinning loading icon. People in various places recommend clearing the app's cache, but that hasn't solved the problem for either of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

LastPass is at it again!

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Montalvo posted:

Has the Google app poo poo the bed for anyone else recently? My wife and I both have Samsung S7 Edge phones with the most recent version of Android our carrier will allow (7.0) and since upgrading the Google app has become unresponsive for us both. Not only is the search bar unresponsive (typing a query and hitting enter does nothing), but launching the app itself leads to a blank page with the Google logo and a perpetually spinning loading icon. People in various places recommend clearing the app's cache, but that hasn't solved the problem for either of us.

No issues here (Pixel XL). Maybe it logged you out or something? Although I'm not sure how you'd log in again if you can't open the app. Sorry, that's the best I got.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Montalvo posted:

You guys aren't in the Google app Beta are you?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Is there a recommended video player that can handle multiple audio tracks and subs?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Toshimo posted:

Is there a recommended video player that can handle multiple audio tracks and subs?

MXPlayer and VLC media player I think can handle both of those.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

incogneato posted:

No issues here (Pixel XL). Maybe it logged you out or something? Although I'm not sure how you'd log in again if you can't open the app. Sorry, that's the best I got.

Opening the app is fine, but this is all that happens:

I'm going to try to log out of my Google account from the phone's settings and see what that does.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Montalvo posted:

I'm going to try to log out of my Google account from the phone's settings and see what that does.

Weird. That big grey box at the top of your second image is where it should show you logged in with an account. Does hitting the little arrow there let you log in? Or is there a place to log in if you poke around settings?

It's very likely nothing to do with being logged in, though. I don't want to imply I have any idea what I'm talking about.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Montalvo posted:

I just encountered this too. Uninstalling updates seemed to fix it for me.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Ughhhh. I just opened Play Music and it signed me out for some reason. I logged back in and the 15 or so albums I downloaded on it were deleted for some reason.

I have it set up to use my SD card but all my photos and the music I uploaded from my pc are all still there so it looks like GPM just randomly shat the bed.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Jigoku posted:

Ughhhh. I just opened Play Music and it signed me out for some reason. I logged back in and the 15 or so albums I downloaded on it were deleted for some reason.

I have it set up to use my SD card but all my photos and the music I uploaded from my pc are all still there so it looks like GPM just randomly shat the bed.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I resolved the Google app issue by going into the app information page for it, navigating to storage -> manage storage, and then telling the app to delete everything. Let's see if it reoccurs.

E: nope, already broken in the same way again. Nice one Google!

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 22, 2017

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

When using Android Pay, do I need to open anything before using it or is my phone just always ready to be tapped on stuff?

I'm not crazy about it, but I'd like to give it a try

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

The Duggler posted:

When using Android Pay, do I need to open anything before using it or is my phone just always ready to be tapped on stuff?

I'm not crazy about it, but I'd like to give it a try

I would like to know this too. I've been using it on the vending machine at work, and the behavior seems inconsistent. Sometimes my phone screen can be off and it works fine, other times the screen is on yet it still wants me to input my pin and tap it another time afterwards.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
It needs to have authenticated via PIN or fingerprint within a certain amount of time which may not correspond directly to what you have your phone's security too. I had the best results by turning the screen off and unlocking my phone via fingerprint reader right before I made the purchase.

Not sure what it does if you have no screen lock or use a pattern.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

THF13 posted:

It needs to have authenticated via PIN or fingerprint within a certain amount of time which may not correspond directly to what you have your phone's security too. I had the best results by turning the screen off and unlocking my phone via fingerprint reader right before I made the purchase.

Not sure what it does if you have no screen lock or use a pattern.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll just have to try it out and see what works and what doesn't

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Quick, this $399 app is free for now!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor.ai_penitax.richpremium&hl=en

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

It says you might also like Donald Trump

Hmm

hrmm

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

It says you might also like Donald Trump

Hmm

hrmm

Google didn't get big by screwing up their ad profiling: one of the other available apps from that developer (also $400 discounted) is Toilet Simulator PRO

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Montalvo posted:

I've been having the same issue on my pixel. Restarting the phone fixed it, but it's pretty annoying. Not in any beta.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

THF13 posted:

I can only comment in regards to the UK but there is no time out in the way described here. In fact all of this is entirely incorrect. Though the US is pants-on-head stupid when it comes to payment systems so maybe things there really do work in the preposterous way that you describe, I've never read anything to that effect.

Android Pay requires that you have a secure lock screen to function at all. You cannot even add a card without meeting that requirement. Transactions under £30 require the screen to be on but nothing else. They work just like a contactless payment on a card. No authorization needed, no unlock needed, they basically just work Transactions above £30 require the device to be unlocked, just as you would need to enter your PIN to use your card on a terminal.

Your phone should not ever perform an NFC payment with the screen off as the hardware is supposed to be disabled in this state to prevent fraud. If your phone genuinely does that then I would recommend returning it as it is broken.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Tunga posted:

I can only comment in regards to the UK but there is no time out in the way described here. In fact all of this is entirely incorrect. Though the US is pants-on-head stupid when it comes to payment systems so maybe things there really do work in the preposterous way that you describe, I've never read anything to that effect.

Android Pay requires that you have a secure lock screen to function at all. You cannot even add a card without meeting that requirement. Transactions under £30 require the screen to be on but nothing else. They work just like a contactless payment on a card. No authorization needed, no unlock needed, they basically just work Transactions above £30 require the device to be unlocked, just as you would need to enter your PIN to use your card on a terminal.

Your phone should not ever perform an NFC payment with the screen off as the hardware is supposed to be disabled in this state to prevent fraud. If your phone genuinely does that then I would recommend returning it as it is broken.

Sorry if I wasn't too clear. The screen definitely needs to be on to make an NFC transaction. What I was suggesting was turning the display off and unlocking via your fingerprint right before making an Android Pay transaction since using the fingerprint to unlock your phone also turns the display on.

I definitely have had the screen on with the phone unlocked and been prompted to re-enter my PIN in the past. I used to have a phone without a fingerprint reader so I would set the phone to only lock after it had been asleep for the longest possible time it would let me. To avoid the issue I just started locking and unlocking my phone right before using Android Pay.

Not sure about the over/under $30 thing in the US, I've been prompted for a PIN in the past on a $1 McDonalds coffee.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
In case anyone is curious about the Google app issues I've been posting about -- I had a look on the Play store for reviews from people of the app with the same phone as I do and it sounds like it's an issue affecting S7 Edge owners on Verizon.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

You got Samsung'd

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

THF13 posted:

Not sure about the over/under $30 thing in the US, I've been prompted for a PIN in the past on a $1 McDonalds coffee.

It's part of the contactless spec that, every so often, when performing a contactless transaction you'll need to input a PIN anyway. This is to ensure it's still in the owner's possession.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Montalvo posted:

In case anyone is curious about the Google app issues I've been posting about -- I had a look on the Play store for reviews from people of the app with the same phone as I do and it sounds like it's an issue affecting S7 Edge owners on Verizon.

I got lucky then because I'm having no issues with s7e on Verizon with the latest updates installed.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Has anyone's facebook app been acting up recently? Like I can't pull to refresh anymore and going to most recent just shows nothing except a loading circle. I've tried wiping the app's storage and relogging in but that didn't do anything.

Like I'd just use their website but that's lovely too with its randomly deciding I can't go further back into to timeline.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Evil Vin posted:

Has anyone's facebook app been acting up recently? Like I can't pull to refresh anymore and going to most recent just shows nothing except a loading circle. I've tried wiping the app's storage and relogging in but that didn't do anything.

Like I'd just use their website but that's lovely too with its randomly deciding I can't go further back into to timeline.

Use Friendly instead. It has messenger built in too (never tried this but it says it's there)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I just opened Google+ for the first time and it has a bunch of my contacts who are following me. I'm fairly sure none of them purposefully did this. Does it do a link by contacts phone number or something? It didn't show me as following anyone...

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

syscall girl posted:

Use Friendly instead. It has messenger built in too (never tried this but it says it's there)

Thanks this actually works.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Are app updates as slow for everyone else as for me? It took more than 15 minutes to update 6 apps earlier. It would be quicker if I uninstalled and then reinstalled them.

Evil Vin posted:

Thanks this actually works.

Same here! And it lets me block the people you may know section which Facebooks own app couldn't even load for me anyway.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
So I just got a Galaxy S7 and, understandably, am looking for a launcher to replace TouchWiz. What's the hotness these days?

I've read the OP but it hasn't been updated since 2015, a more innocent time when saying the words "President Trump" in a serious context would get you committed to an asylum.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

rolleyes posted:

So I just got a Galaxy S7 and, understandably, am looking for a launcher to replace TouchWiz. What's the hotness these days?

I've read the OP but it hasn't been updated since 2015, a more innocent time when saying the words "President Trump" in a serious context would get you committed to an asylum.

Nova Launcher is pretty drat good.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, this was always my go-to when I needed a new launcher.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yep. Nova is good if you want to customize a bunch of stuff, otherwise you can grab the Pixel Launcher APK or Google Now Launcher and those are both good.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yea I've been using it for years. Always a solid choice

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

sleepwalkers posted:

Yep. Nova is good if you want to customize a bunch of stuff, otherwise you can grab the Pixel Launcher APK or Google Now Launcher and those are both good.

Are there any plus/minuses to those two compared to Nova? I've been using Nova forever but I'm curious.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

sleepwalkers posted:

Wait, the Pixel doesn't just use the google now launcher?

Is the Pixel launcher the new "official" google launcher then? Or is it just the usual google fragmentation?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It's the new official launcher. Now Launcher was supposed(ly) to be discontinued back in February, but they're probably just letting it hang around until Pixel Launcher is available on more devices. Officially it can't be installed on many yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CascadeBeta posted:

Are there any plus/minuses to those two compared to Nova? I've been using Nova forever but I'm curious.

The only thing I can think of is that you can swipe left of home for Google Now, on Nova you can't unless you root and install it as a system app iirc. Unless I missed a new development, it used to be that way. I can't root my S7 Edge :(