Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Whatever happened to Toaster Pastry and his Echo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

freelop posted:

My missus earns a fair bit more than me as an optom compared to an engineer but our finances are shared so it doesn't matter who earns most

Do you mean this literally, like a joint checking account?

Cause I've anyways found my co-workers who do this, are always arguing about money. My wife and I maintain completely separate bank accounts, and have agreed upon responsibilities for bills and expenses. We argue about dumb poo poo but rarely money because the bills are paid and whatever money is spent is earned by the person spending it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

We have a joint accounts, savings and checking, and never argue about money ever. My wife is an accountant so naturally she takes care of everything, it's awesome.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Rented a car cuz the air bnb is in a weird, middle-of-nowhere neighborhood and parked in the driveway. About to fall asleep when I hear honking and get a text message 5 minutes later. We had blocked the garage (which I had believed to be unused as I'd never seen a car there) and I had to move the car so that they could put theirs in it. It's a Porsche Panamera 4S :stare: Was not expecting that.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Previa_fun posted:

Whatever happened to Used Sunlight Sales? Dude owned a bunch of land in the midwest (I want to say KS or OK?) and made some good posts detailing the machines and tools he used.

Then he just disappeared.

poo poo, I forgot about that guy. His posts were really cool in a land-management sort of aspect. I remember him bulldozing a lot of invasive trees.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

everdave posted:

He stopped by my place a year or two ago in a 63 Corvette and seemed like he was doing well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo there's a fully loaded Yaris hatch with a stick for sale for $4k back home. I wanted one so bad when they came out.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
That could be a real giggle. So tiny!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want a tiny car so much! Gonna have to zip over and check it out when I get home.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
festiva with a bp swap.
its' a riot.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

everdave posted:

Speaking of the Echo... I found out tonight that if you ask Amazon to "Play artist Pink" (I was in a weird mood) you get a really bizarre playlist that alternates between Pink, and Pink Floyd. Apparently Alexa/Echo thing can't figure out that one of them is one word, and one is two words.

Of course I've bitched for over a year to Amazon that it can't find music that I own in my own music library (group called Delain) no matter how I pronounce it or ask.

I don't think I have to worry about our robot overlords taking over with their fantastic Artificial Intelligence in my lifetime.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Trigger warning: trigger

Gunchat: bought a small thing this week. It's just like my other 1911 except that it's tiny :3:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cage posted:

Seriously. Just the differences in salary that you guys are mentioning are more than what I even make.
On the few occasions I've let Americans know how much I earn as an engineer (a "real" one with a degree, working in first tier aerospace), they've looked at me like :staredog: and I've half expected them to send me a care package or something.

But I earn a fairly ok/reasonable amount for my job here in the UK, and I don't feel especially hard done by. I had a point a few years back where I was hammering the overtime and earning more than anyone else in my broad circle of friends, but it was neither truly sustainable or, ultimately, worth the hassle.

Just make sure you earn enough, and don't sweat how other people are doing if you're happy with your lot in general.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I made 80% of the money through my 10 year marriage and I still resent my ex wife for it. Even divorced we'd both be so much farther ahead in life if she'd just been able to get and keep a job. Of course it's really not the amount she contributed, but the lack of contribution while simultaneously blaming me for our quality of life was just too much.

Biodome posted:

I'm in Denver for the weekend with my girlfriend and it's taking a little to get used to the slower speed limits. Also, our rental car has a horrible knocking sound when turning on the a/c. It goes away after a few seconds, though. Actuator?

Anyone got any fun suggestions of things to do or places to check out while we're in Denver? Places to eat?

Sorry I missed this. Red Rocks park is great to go and get some scenery and imagine how awesome concerts sound there. The Buckhorn Exchange is a very historic Colorado restaurant and it's just south of downtown and right on the light rail if you want to get hammered. A little farther out of town is The Fort restaurant, similar food as the Buckhorn but a little different atmosphere. They sell a whiskey shot with gunpowder in it. I always get one when I go to feel manly. The Clifford Still museum is pretty amazing if you like impressionist art.

Unfortunately it's too early to get to the top of a 14er unless you go skiing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

On the few occasions I've let Americans know how much I earn as an engineer (a "real" one with a degree, working in first tier aerospace), they've looked at me like :staredog: and I've half expected them to send me a care package or something.

But I earn a fairly ok/reasonable amount for my job here in the UK, and I don't feel especially hard done by. I had a point a few years back where I was hammering the overtime and earning more than anyone else in my broad circle of friends, but it was neither truly sustainable or, ultimately, worth the hassle.

Just make sure you earn enough, and don't sweat how other people are doing if you're happy with your lot in general.

Salary/cost of living comparisons always looked terrible from UK to USA, but then you hear how much people are spending on family health insurance, for example, or you compare housing costs and just shrug.

In bad financial gossip, my brother told me last week his sister in law just signed a 38 year mortgage. She's 32. Between her and her boyfriend they spend about £1k on food a month. They were amazed to hear you could buy frozen prepackaged meat. I predict some loving awful schadenfreude as they discover how to be adults the hard way.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

as they discover how to be adults
Oh, I just sidestepped that bit entirely.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

scuz posted:

That could be a real giggle. So tiny!

They're tiny, but roomy. I have a coworker who had the first US generation (then named "Echo"). He's 6'6", about 310 lbs., and got in it at a dealership as a joke, thinking he'd look like The Hulk in a VW Bug, but actually fit. It was cheap, got good gas mileage, and was roomy enough for a big guy, so he bought it to destroy commuting. It never did die. He finally replaced it with a Mk 4 (I think) GTI.
He would have bough the current generation, but they lowered the roof just enough to cramp him. At 6'2", I still fit in one fine.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

InitialDave posted:

You earn less but you have like 6 weeks of vacation and actual workers rights and free healthcare and Americans absolutely can't comprehend how much of their cheque is secretly for the healthcare costs they will get

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

At work these days we have this great thing where we can bank hours we worked overtime and accumulate them and use them as leave. Obviously I lose out on any OT premium but if I only bank my weekday time I'm losing out on the extra .33 vs Saturday .5 or Sunday 1.0 multiplier. Some people are getting an extra 2 weeks holiday out of this, the company don't pay OT premium on banked hours, everyone's happy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

At work these days we have this great thing where we can bank hours we worked overtime and accumulate them and use them as leave. Obviously I lose out on any OT premium but if I only bank my weekday time I'm losing out on the extra .33 vs Saturday .5 or Sunday 1.0 multiplier. Some people are getting an extra 2 weeks holiday out of this, the company don't pay OT premium on banked hours, everyone's happy.
TOIL (Time Off In Lieu) is pretty standard most places, isn't it? I normally take the OT money, because I don't actively need the extra time, and I don't get that much OT now anyway, but technically I don't get OT on my contract, so it's usually preferred that I take the hours off.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

angryrobots posted:

Cause I've anyways found my co-workers who do this, are always arguing about money. My wife and I maintain completely separate bank accounts, and have agreed upon responsibilities for bills and expenses. We argue about dumb poo poo but rarely money because the bills are paid and whatever money is spent is earned by the person spending it.

We have our personal accounts that we get our paychecks into with auto debits set up that move an agreed amount into a 3rd account which the bills/mortgage come out of.
Online banking owns

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

angryrobots posted:

Shared everything here, too. I pay all the bills, she makes most of the money. We work as a team and there are no issues.

I have to encourage her to spend money and she tolerates my buying of random things, mostly because I've established a long track record of making money on the things I do. Sure, there's always a chance (probability) of taking a loss at some point, but overall, the system has worked for a long time with no issues.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

TOIL (Time Off In Lieu) is pretty standard most places, isn't it? I normally take the OT money, because I don't actively need the extra time, and I don't get that much OT now anyway, but technically I don't get OT on my contract, so it's usually preferred that I take the hours off.

If it is then great, this is the first place I've worked that implemented it, but they refuse to call it TOIL because that has negative connotations :v: so it's TOB and TOL, bank and leave.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

Shared everything here, too.

Hey that's great if if works for you guys.

My wife's hobby is horses and fox hunting (ie group riding in the woods and fields early in the morning in fancy clothes while drinking. There's never a fox). Her play money is staying separate from mine. :haw:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

angryrobots posted:

My wife's hobby is horses and fox hunting (ie group riding in the woods and fields early in the morning in fancy clothes while drinking. There's never a fox). Her play money is staying separate from mine. :haw:

Do you also use your play money to dress up in fancy clothes and go drinking in the woods in the early morning?

Will you be my friend?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

angryrobots posted:

My situation is similar to yours except historically I make about twice what my wife made. Still do but it's a severance check.

We each contribute a set amount to the joint accounts while retaining separate personal accounts. I control the joint accounts for the most part otherwise things don't always get paid on time and the joint debit card gets used at tractor supply/rural king for horse and goat stuff. I usually discuss major purchases out of the joint accounts with her and we agree before it's made. This covers stuff like home, farm and vehicle maintenance. It all works out and we rarely fight about money.

Except for tax time when I get pissed that I paid 4x as much as her yet we still owed money.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

spog posted:

Do you also use your play money to dress up in fancy clothes and go drinking in the woods in the early morning?

Will you be my friend?

You can be my friend, but I dress plainly and limit my drinking to after noon. My hobby used to be cars, but at this point it's property and farm management. Most of that is building or repairing fence seems like.

When we bought this place three years ago, the pastures had been abandoned for so long they were solid bramble, interspersed with junk trees. This was last midsummer:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

spog posted:

Will you be my friend?

I didn't know LARPing was still a thing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

If it is then great, this is the first place I've worked that implemented it, but they refuse to call it TOIL because that has negative connotations :v: so it's TOB and TOL, bank and leave.

In this area I've always heard it called "Comp time". The Phoenix Police department used to have unlimited comp time, but the officers work so many OT hours on the regular (or used to, not sure about now) that they eventually had to cap the comp time and force the officers to take OT pay after a certain point because there was so much built up comp time that scheduling was becoming a real problem, which of course led to even more comp time as everyone covering for the people taking time off was working OT.

I'm salaried, so I get jack for working OT. I actually prefer salary though, as long as the management is cool, because I don't have to worry about how many hours I work as long as I get my job done. Taking time out for doctor's appointments, visiting the DMV, doing a charity event, etc. do not impact my pay, and as long as I let them know in advance everyone is fine with it. There have been a few fairly short periods where things sort of went to hell and I put in stupid hours for a bit, but overall I think it balances out. Several co-workers and I go out for lunches pretty regular and usually don't get back to the office for 90 minutes or even 2 hours on Friday's, and nobody cares because we aren't punching a clock.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The Locator posted:

In this area I've always heard it called "Comp time".

That's what it's called for me too. If I take my OT as Comp, I can use it like leave, but after a year, it "expires" and I get paid at my OT rate.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

funny Star Wars parody posted:

You earn less but you have like 6 weeks of vacation and actual workers rights and free healthcare and Americans absolutely can't comprehend how much of their cheque is secretly for the healthcare costs they will get

Yes, but as a US-er with a good job and some bit of seniority, I do have 6 weeks of vacation, all the trickledown wealth from billionaires a person could possibly want (thanks Reagan!), $25k worth of my company's money given annually to insurance companies whether I need health care or not, and The Right to Quit My Job If I Don't Like Conditions.

The vacation is pretty nice, I can go on a 2 week vacation and have earned back two of the ten days spent by the time I return.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yes, but as a US-er with a good job and some bit of seniority

You do realize how rare this is, right?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Geoj posted:

You do realize how rare this is, right?

ya for real and even if it isnt rare and every person with seniority gets it, it's going to take me 10 years to get to that point, not as soon as I'm hired like in the First World.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I broke the chain on my road bike going up a hill. Too much raw power and torques. RAWR.

Then I had to remove a couple links and limp it home. :(

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
They used to give out musclecars for $3500 and houses for $8k so don't begrudge me my 6 weeks vacation that everyone could potentially maybe earn if they are just willing to spend 15 years shackled to a corporation.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

They used to give out musclecars for $3500 and houses for $8k so don't begrudge me my 6 weeks vacation that everyone could potentially maybe earn if they are just willing to spend 15 years shackled to a corporation.

Takes me 30 years for 6 weeks.

Schedule:
2 weeks to start (pro-rated on when during the year you get hired)
3 weeks @ 3 years
4 weeks @ 10 years
5 weeks @ 20 years
6 weeks @ 30 years.

So yea, I'll be 75 years old (if I'm still alive and working here) when I get my 6th week.

Still, decent benefits, good insurance, the sick time is separate from vacation (2 weeks per year), plus 10 holidays (including 3 floaters) and good management that lets me work 4 x 10's and take off on Friday for an extra day off once in a while if I'm leaving town.

Also have 6 weeks of major medical time off per year (which I hope I never use) and they are great to reservists, paying the difference between their salary and military pay while they are deployed. They also pay my full salary if I'm on jury duty.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Good luck staying at a company that long. There's absolutely no loyalty, and most companies now will lay you off the second the market stumbles. Also, loving outsourcing (I may be bitter about that).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She said yes!

Please no Facebook shout outs yet, we're trying to get ahold of a few family members first!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo there's a fully loaded Yaris hatch with a stick for sale for $4k back home. I wanted one so bad when they came out.

Rhyno posted:

She said yes!

Please no Facebook shout outs yet, we're trying to get ahold of a few family members first!

Congrats man!

But do you think your family members will care about your being given permission to buy a Yaris?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

She said yes!

Congrats dude!

• Locked thread