Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
It's maybe 2 minutes out of an hour plus of free entertainment. Just skip ahead you baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This goes beyond WHM, but it's always a pet peeve when podcast hosts have something they want to say before the point of the episode (be it ads or something else) and don't provide a time code to the actual meat. I hate playing the "how long should I hold the skip button to skip the flotsam but not the content?" game.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I gotta press the skip ahead button 4 times? Fuccccccckkkkkkkk that!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

VolticSurge posted:

So,I'd fallen off the WHM wagon,and I'm just getting caught up. I'm wondering-I've heard they started having ads. Are they really obnoxiously shilling Lootcrate/Draft Kings/some other stupid thing? If they are, I might have to stop listening to these guys,which would suck because I love them.

They've had ads for years but their new network makes them do mid-show ads and they're super awkward and annoying because since the show itself is one long uninterrupted improv session they have to go back and edit them in with awkward inorganic "...AND TODAY'S EPISODE IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY HARRY'S RAZORS!" transitions that completely break up the flow of the show. The one compromise they were able to get is that they play Spanish Flea in the background of their ads so it's easier to skip through it since when the music stops you know the show is back on.

Joe the Strummer posted:

I'll never understand the hate for the ads. Just let these guys make some loving money.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I am sure this newest iteration of this argument will bring insightful new ideas to the forefront and not just be a bunch of people saying the same loving things until the next episode drops and some moron brings it up again in about a month

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
If you are that upset about them having ads I hope you don't listen to them because you deserve the least amount of enjoyment in your life as possible

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Midnightghoul posted:

If you are that upset about them having ads I hope you don't listen to them because you deserve the least amount of enjoyment in your life as possible

:yossame:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MisterBibs posted:

This goes beyond WHM, but it's always a pet peeve when podcast hosts have something they want to say before the point of the episode (be it ads or something else) and don't provide a time code to the actual meat. I hate playing the "how long should I hold the skip button to skip the flotsam but not the content?" game.

They are seriously not that long to start with, what is even the point of skipping them? Setting aside the dumb idea to advertise exactly how to skip your ads.

Do you guys kick over your TVs in disgust or throw your car radio out your window on I-95 whenever you are faced with the unholy horror of people telling you about products you may be interested in? Hope you can at least enjoy your favorite sporting event without disturbing everyone else by yelling about what a disgrace to the very concept of sport Coca-Cola is.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If you're that upset at having to listen to people complain about ads then just don't read it. It's not like you can't skip past them anyways. :rolleye:

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I can't really begrudge the guys for trying to make an extra buck or two, seeing as A) the show is free outside of the side stuff you get through Patreon (which are ad free, incidentally, or at least The Nexus definitely is) and B) they're solid dudes who put out a consistently great show. Besides, the ads take like a few seconds to skip so I don't see why they're such an inconvenience.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It's fine if they want to make more money, but you can't blame people for not wanting to hear the same stupid commercial about square space or harry's for the millionth loving time regardless of how funny they are. This is not a minority of opinion as 99% of people skip ads on youtube if they are able.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hate ads on websites because they usually interrupt what I'm reading, break the flow of the site, and sometimes clicking the X to exit the ad will instead leave the page altogether to bring me to the advertiser's page.

But on WHM, it's at least audio brought by the guys and they go out of their way to be entertaining. Spanish Flea is a brilliant touch too. I'll listen to the ad once or twice before skipping the same as in a later episode.

Plus there was that time when they had to advertise Draft Kings and you could tell they HATEd it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I think the reason the WHM ads come across as so jarring is because the show's shtick is to make fun of everything, so to suddenly hear the guys being sincere is offputting.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HysykOPK4dU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9L6MRL74Vo

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The only ads I don't care for are the squarespace ones because you can tell they're having a really hard time making them funny

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

They are seriously not that long to start with, what is even the point of skipping them?

Because a lot of podcasters, WHM included sometimes, don't just read the copy they are given, but elaborate on it enough just to be annoying and no longer "not that long to start with".

Making gags and riffs about needing to shave isn't going to make me want to get Harry's stuff more. Read the damned copy.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Oh I also dislike the loot crate ads because the concept of loot crates just makes me cringe

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

This is so loving cringe worthy.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

goddamn I miss Ronnie B ruining live reads. RIPD, Little Carby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Amr4K_afMY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXR-e0AjSic

Man I wish I could find his old "Ashley Madison dot coooom! We love to have seeeex! Finally, you get to try anal!" song

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Giant Bomb had really great ads when Vinny Caravella was still on it. Him and Jeff Gertsmann had an ongoing bit for SquareSpace where Vinny would pretend to be an aspiring businessman with new ventures every single time. They were actually pretty funny and part of the show that I enjoyed and looked forward to.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

WHM ads are fine. Saying that they're "SHILLING" is loving idiotic. Do you even know what a shill is? Hint: it doesn't involve Spanish Flea.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Hey guys. Mortal Kombat cartoon AD went up.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Hockles posted:

Hey guys. Mortal Kombat cartoon AD went up.

Is there a `Number of episodes since Chris Cabin mentions Zoo` counter? If so, it needs to be reset back to 0.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
On the off-chance anyone hasn't seen that Saturday Morning Watchmen cartoon Steve mentioned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

goddamn I miss Ronnie B ruining live reads. RIPD, Little Carby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Amr4K_afMY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXR-e0AjSic

Man I wish I could find his old "Ashley Madison dot coooom! We love to have seeeex! Finally, you get to try anal!" song

His set of reads for i57 ignite caffeine pills were so funny I actually went out and bought a bottle of it.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

duz posted:

Is there a `Number of episodes since Chris Cabin mentions Zoo` counter? If so, it needs to be reset back to 0.

The Edging counter can be reset as well, though does it count if Steve brings it up instead of Eric?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Ok so Edging
Zoo
What else

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Catch 'em in bed....

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I could have a counter Marc!

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Hang up on em!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You can keep it.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Mom! Get over here!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Figure it out!

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
It's bone-chilling

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
If yerrrr yoooosin the saaaame joke over and over, you might be a podcaster.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've always been partial to "...So, he's dead."

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Gleep Glops

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
don't tell me it didn't happen

I saw it happen

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

They are GETTING the CHAIR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
They only said it once but I nearly crashed my car from laughing so hard so:

They finally locked up the "eat poo poo!" lady!