Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice
The sunder is a good ship - I use it as a point blank "gently caress you, youre overloaded" ship. 1 autopulse, 2 ion pulser, 2 annihilator pods, safety overrides, and expanded magazines make for fun times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Majestic posted:

Well, just had a save file corrupt on a level 35 character. Make sure you keep a few backup copies. I've got one from a few hours earlier, but that's enough to stop me playing for a little while.

I might add my Starsector folder to Dropbox so it auto-backs it up, cause the thought of losing my 5 hour save is scary.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fart Cannon posted:

The sunder is a good ship - I use it as a point blank "gently caress you, youre overloaded" ship. 1 autopulse, 2 ion pulser, 2 annihilator pods, safety overrides, and expanded magazines make for fun times
I was goofing off in the simulator this morning and I have this fantasy now of running a core of sunders built to fight with beams at 1000 range, maybe supported by a couple of herons. How are those these days, btw? With the recent changes to fighters I might make one of those my flagship.

And while I'm at it, can someone remind me what's up with the gryphon's missile autoforge? I can't seem to roll that ship in the mission simulator, so I can't test it out myself. I vaguely remember it being nerfed to only autoforge once per battle. Is that right?

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 23, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I still can't get over my obsession with tactical lasers and graviton beams.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, I find I'm all about the long-range stuff in this game. Doubly so when outfitting ships for my officers. The great thing about the Sunder is that you can stick two gravitons on there and a tachyon lance in the middle. All three have 1000 range, and with their accuracy they're excellent at a distance. Once they knock down the shields, the emp on the lance really starts loving with enemy systems, and then it's usually game over for them. I don't even bother with missiles on Sunders, at least not when I give it to my little buddies. Better to focus their skills on the beams and the ship on flux management.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Getting the level 3 salvage skill and then finding spooky old abandoned research labs full of alpha AI's is a great way to get ridiculous money. Also surveying gets pretty boring and grindy fast.
Also gently caress these "Salvage" teams. They are neutral and nice in civilized space but the moment they spot you in deep space they turn red and try to "salvage" your fleet.

The game has become 10x better now that I learned sustained burn has no downsides and is just go-fast mode. It seems more fuel efficient for long trips plus it saves tons of supplies since you get there twice as fast (unless you gently caress up and drive through a huge warp storm). Quite a learning curve still on this game but it's rewarding to figure out. Took a while to figure out how much fuel and supplies you really need for a mission. If you plan on venturing out beyond civilized space (and you pretty much have to make real money) a tanker and cargo ship are a must. I do wish there was more to do in civilized space, all the bounties and missions take you way the gently caress out.

It is exactly as fuel efficient because fuel is calculated based on your burn speed, but it is substantially more supply efficient because that is calculated based on time.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah it explains everything about sustained burn inike a 2 sentence tool tip lol. The only thing is it cuts your acceleration so moving out of the way of incoming fleets is difficult if you don't see them

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I am a junkie for Phase Lances and buy them whenever I see them and put them on as many ships as I can.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Kenshin posted:

I am a junkie for Phase Lances and buy them whenever I see them and put them on as many ships as I can.

I'm more of a missile/torpedo person. I do keep at least a few fast frigates with tac lasers around just force the other side to keep shields up and not opportunity vent.

Nothing is quite as satisfying as vaporizing a cruiser with a concentrated torpedo barrage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The tachyon lance on a sunder is fuckin' great, you just tap it and it zaps right through the enemy shield and melts a hole through them. Using one of those with a drover in support making GBS threads out wasp drones is amazing.

Also the drover has four small missile mounts so obviously you pack expanded missile racks on it and use it as GET hosed option against a single enemy target.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 23, 2017

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

I just stick salamanders on everything that isnt a dedicated missile boat. Also most of the new carriers look dumb.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

AirborneNinja posted:

I just stick salamanders on everything that isnt a dedicated missile boat. Also most of the new carriers look dumb.

Counterpoint, the new carriers look cool and good.

I can't wait to see what modders do with new events/surveying/unknowns to massively bulk out the exploration of uninhibited space.
0.8 has laid such a fantastic foundation, far more than earlier versions, for mods to create content.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

AirborneNinja posted:

Torpedos are in a really good place right now. Hammers are a super cheap way to punch above your weight. If you can maneuver around back a destroyer with your frigate and launch a salvo up the proverbial tailpipe it will all but take it out of the fight.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Holy poo poo.

I saw the thread, said to myself "It hasn't actually updated, there's just 300+ new posts of bullshit."

I was Wrong. :)

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Man, trying to track down a derelict in the "outer reaches" of a solar system is some real bullshit

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Soup du Journey posted:

Man, trying to track down a derelict in the "outer reaches" of a solar system is some real bullshit

yep

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Retro42 posted:

Torpedos are in a really good place right now. Hammers are a super cheap way to punch above your weight. If you can maneuver around back a destroyer with your frigate and launch a salvo up the proverbial tailpipe it will all but take it out of the fight.

Even in the last version hammers were excellent, they're so cheap there is no reason not to stick them in every missile slot you aren't using and fire them all off against a vaguely weakened target.

The changes to Sabot SRMs are also great, they're EMP/Kinetic shotgun missiles now.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Soup du Journey posted:

Yeah these suck. I don't think there is a way to narrow them down either, the "neutrino indicator" perk does not find derelicts and the active ping ability's range is short enough that it's a lot slower to stop, let the ping run, start, move, etc than it is to just fly around at max burn speed.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

The Neutrino detector seems completely useless. Outside of showing the obvious stuff like the suns and the planets it just seems to give constant false positives.

Thankfully the rest of the sensor skills are borderline broken.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's a really neat concept and it looks and sounds great but ... yeah I don't think it does anything useful at all :shrug:

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
Man, I am sitting on 5 survey datas and I have no idea who to sell it to. I haven't found anyone that screams, "I DO COLONIZATION!" yet. I do hope that I can start up and run colonies in the future.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah after spending half an hour chasing my tail like a mutt I just wound up modding my sensors to be a billion times more powerful, finding the fricking thing (literally five small boxes from the edge of the system map, btw...), and then setting the sensors back to normal.

The neutrino detector is total garbage; he should just change it so it only picks up derelicts. That way I'd actually carry around the stupid volatiles and use the dumb thing

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Wind Tempest posted:

Man, I am sitting on 5 survey datas and I have no idea who to sell it to. I haven't found anyone that screams, "I DO COLONIZATION!" yet. I do hope that I can start up and run colonies in the future.

Tri-tach is the most reliably profitable buyer, I've found. Sell price is reportedly based purely on stability, and their ports in Hybrasil are usually 9-10, since no one smuggles where everything is legal.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
They take up a negligible amount of space in my hold, so I usually fly around with a ton of them until I find a place that buys the Class I data for 1,750 and then I come back with transponders off, sell it all on the black market, and take the rep hit.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
What's the best way to get a battleship in the new patch without pledging to one of the main factions?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

What's the best way to get a battleship in the new patch without pledging to one of the main factions?

Salvage a [D] mod one after a battle and recover it? Or get lucky in a derelict salvage?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

Tri-tach is the most reliably profitable buyer, I've found. Sell price is reportedly based purely on stability, and their ports in Hybrasil are usually 9-10, since no one smuggles where everything is legal.

Sindria also gets pretty good stability since it's a military dictatorship :v

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Retro42 posted:

Salvage a [D] mod one after a battle and recover it? Or get lucky in a derelict salvage?

Or just wander aimlessly and find a 14th battleground onslaught with a couple of D-mods on one system outside of the core worlds :v

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Loopoo posted:

I've got a shitfest of junk ships, but I can't get myself to part with them. My fleet, as it stands, is capable of defending itself, but it drains so many supplies and fuel that I'm not earning enough to maintain it in the long run. Genuinely considering downsizing it to go chasing down smaller pirate fleets.

This is a good practice. Buy storage at a market or use the abandoned terraforming platform by Asharu for free. No sense bringing along ships that you don't actually use often.

Also it may be worthwhile to pick up a couple Phaetons or even a Prometheus and buy up a bunch of fuel from Sindria to add to your stockpile. I've never ever used a Prometheus before this version and now I have two. I don't take them on the long trips but they are useful for transporting cheap fuel from Sindria to my home market for storage.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

CaptainWinky posted:

This is a good practice. Buy storage at a market or use the abandoned terraforming platform by Asharu for free. No sense bringing along ships that you don't actually use often.

Also it may be worthwhile to pick up a couple Phaetons or even a Prometheus and buy up a bunch of fuel from Sindria to add to your stockpile. I've never ever used a Prometheus before this version and now I have two. I don't take them on the long trips but they are useful for transporting cheap fuel from Sindria to my home market for storage.

Never a bad thing to buy cheap fuel. Especially when the occasional procurement mission shows up for bulk fuel in XXX system.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're running a junker fleet I would suggest getting the skill that makes d mods also reduce your maintenence costs.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Which small ballistic pd do you folks prefer: light dual machineguns or vulcan cannons? Trying to figure out how to defend my Sunders

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

CaptainWinky posted:

Prometheus only costs 2x the supplies to maintain of a Dram iirc so there's not really reason not to take one unless you're worried about it getting blown up. With Navigation it doesn't even slow you down in Sustained Burn mode :shrug: I think Sustained Burn is a bit too good in concept though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Butt Pirate, nice :thumbsup:

Soup du Journey posted:

Which small ballistic pd do you folks prefer: light dual machineguns or vulcan cannons? Trying to figure out how to defend my Sunders

Things may have changed but I felt like Vulcans' range was too short to break the higher HP ordnance before they hit, which is the stuff you really need to worry about (torpedoes).

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 23, 2017

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Soup du Journey posted:

Flesh Forge posted:

Things may have changed but I felt like Vulcans' range was too short to break the higher HP ordnance before they hit, which is the stuff you really need to worry about (torpedoes).

I like to keep at least a few medium ballistic heavy ships loaded up with flak cannons on fleet PD. Frees up those slots for railguns and other offensive toys.

Wolf's actually fit the job at PD well for a cheap price too. LR PD lasers are nice plus can make good offensive weapons in a pinch.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

Dual lights only have 50 more range (300-250) and have less then half the dps of a vulcan (208-500)
Duals have better accuracy but again, fire less then half as fast as a vulcan (500-1200)
Individual shots do the same damage but MGs fire in 5-round bursts rather then a bullet hose like the vulcan.

Of course if PD is really an issue you should try putting more of the best ship in the game LASHERS in your fleet to screen for your capitals. Or to just win the fight by themselves.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Soup du Journey posted:

Vulcans are better for missile defence, generally, as they simply hose down a wide area with fire. Machineguns have more application as close in brawl weapons because they will shred shields. Vulcans, on the other hand, can make for a devastating finisher on an unarmored target but at substantial risk to your ship.

Both have their appeal, really. I would say MGs probably get better if you go for range buffs because their accuracy and better range will make them more effective on a cruiser with targeting mods, especially if you get auto targeting lead predictors because their accuracy requires you to lead the target, the vulcan works well even without lead prediction, but its accuracy means it doesn't get much more effective when you buff its range.

For most situations, if you aren't sure, go with vulcans. If you're kitting out a capital ship, machineguns may be better. Energy weapons in general offer better small PD options however, as tac lasers will create an excellent no fly zone for fighters and LR PD lasers can create an effective anti-ordinance screen. However medium and large mounts offer flak guns for ballistics, it may be worth it, with the superb power of fighters in this update, to create some dedicated PD destroyers with flak guns.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 23, 2017

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

NightfallGemini posted:

So I finally got myself an Onslaught, a Prometheus, an Atlas and a decent carrier fleet as backup with a mil to spare.

This fully operational, undamaged Remnant battlestation still completely destroys my sorry rear end. The hell do I do now?

Buy some more onslaughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I'm hoping Blackrock gets updated soon. The relatively slow speed of non-Tritach vanilla ships is messing with my playstyle.