Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He's just a hired goon that the mob hires and he doesn't come across particularly smart, just really strong. His mask also looks pretty silly.

The creators of the show were more or less forced to use him by DC since they were making their big push for him in the comics, and it's obvious they weren't happy about it. Like the only moment he gets that's kind of neat is when he almost kills Robin in one move when they first meet.

I mean it's not a terrible take on the character like Batman and Robin or anything, but it stands out in a show that often went out of its way to elevate villains that were considered silly or forgettable that Bane is one of the few that comes across way less interesting than the comic book version.

Then in New Batman Adventures, he was put through that show's usual horrendous redesign wringer and turned into a gimp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Lurdiak posted:

Then in New Batman Adventures, he was put through that show's usual horrendous redesign wringer and turned into a gimp.

Really, Scarecrow was the only one who came out of that better, right? Everyone else was either about even (rarely) or way worse?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't remember seeing much of TNBA but i remember seeing like, a thread on another forum discussing the evolution of Poison Ivy's designs. TAS Ivy was pretty much just a sexy redhead and nothing else in terms of design. TNBA made her look a bit more distinct IIRC.

The Batman had my favorite Ivy design because she actually looked like a plant lady.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

catlord posted:

Really, Scarecrow was the only one who came out of that better, right? Everyone else was either about even (rarely) or way worse?

Scarecrow had 2 different costumes after the redesign and one of them was pretty awful too.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Scarecrow had 2 different costumes after the redesign and one of them was pretty awful too.

Oh? I was thinking the creepy preacher look.

I actually have to confess, I've not seen much B:TAS, I wasn't allowed to watch it when it was on because my mom had a thing about violent shows and now it's never been on Netflix, so I've seen way more Batman Beyond since they had that for a while. I wish WB was less scattershot with what DC stuff they put on Netflix, there's a lot I'd love to see.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't remember seeing much of TNBA but i remember seeing like, a thread on another forum discussing the evolution of Poison Ivy's designs. TAS Ivy was pretty much just a sexy redhead and nothing else in terms of design. TNBA made her look a bit more distinct IIRC.

The Batman had my favorite Ivy design because she actually looked like a plant lady.

The original B:TAS costumes looked like people in costumes. In TNBA they looked like cartoon characters.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

catlord posted:

Oh? I was thinking the creepy preacher look.

I actually have to confess, I've not seen much B:TAS, I wasn't allowed to watch it when it was on because my mom had a thing about violent shows and now it's never been on Netflix, so I've seen way more Batman Beyond since they had that for a while. I wish WB was less scattershot with what DC stuff they put on Netflix, there's a lot I'd love to see.

BTAS is on Amazon Prime Video. It's also well worth the $20/set to own it. I grew up watching it, but it absolutely holds up in 2017. The noir setting is perfect.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

catlord posted:

I hate Undertaker Scarecrow so the entire series is batting zero for me.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

BTAS is on Amazon Prime Video. It's also well worth the $20/set to own it. I grew up watching it, but it absolutely holds up in 2017. The noir setting is perfect.

It's true. There are definitely some very bad episodes and the animation quality can vary wildly between "gorgeous" and "good lord what is this", but on average the series is DC's best and easily the best take on Batman ever.

Even The New Batman Adventures, which I find to be such a step down that it's more like falling all the way down the stairs, has some pretty fun stuff.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 24, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Like Critters, the best episode out of any TV show ever made

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The tie-in comics to BTAS, The New Batman Adventures, and Batman Beyond are (largely) very good, too.

I really like Batman Beyond's aesthetic, setting, soundtrack, and the dynamic between Terry and Bruce, but unfortunately that show has way more mediocre and bad episodes than good ones. The good ones are really good, though, as is the animated film. And speaking of animated films, Mask of the Phantasm is maybe the best Batman film ever?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

The tie-in comics to BTAS, The New Batman Adventures, and Batman Beyond are (largely) very good, too.

I really like Batman Beyond's aesthetic, setting, soundtrack, and the dynamic between Terry and Bruce, but unfortunately that show has way more mediocre and bad episodes than good ones. The good ones are really good, though, as is the animated film. And speaking of animated films, Mask of the Phantasm is maybe the best Batman film ever?

Didn't one of the Batman Beyond tie-ins feature that storyline with Bruce and Barbara having a kid that was really bad?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think that came way later with the Batman Beyond 2.0 comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

Didn't one of the Batman Beyond tie-ins feature that storyline with Bruce and Barbara having a kid that was really bad?

Roth posted:

I think that came way later with the Batman Beyond 2.0 comics.

Yeah that uh, that wasn't in the comics I read. I know DC started publishing a Batman Beyond comic in their usual house style and in an apparently different continuity years later, that's probably what you're thinking of.

The one I read had an issue where Terry has to babysit Etrigan on the one night in the year he gets to run wild without Jason Blood holding him back, which was the funniest poo poo.

Also, this:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If DC ever does get that whole DC Unlimited thing going, I would love it if they put the DCAU tie-in comics on there.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Animated nothing, I think Mask of the Phantasm might just be the best Batman film period.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjAFbEP0wK4

Although since you mentioned BB, Return of the Joker is my personal favorite Batman movie.

Also, were The Batman's tie-in comics any good?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Animated nothing, I think Mask of the Phantasm might just be the best Batman film period.

That's what I... I, uh...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Batman '66 is the best Batman film ever. But Mask of the Phantasm is probably number two.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Speaking of Adam West, one of my favorite BTAS episodes is the Gray Ghost. Just a really nice tribute to the '66 show, and it came at a time when West was still being mocked for "ruining" Batman.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

That's what I... I, uh...

You're right, I misread your post. Sorry.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Speaking of Adam West, one of my favorite BTAS episodes is the Gray Ghost. Just a really nice tribute to the '66 show, and it came at a time when West was still being mocked for "ruining" Batman.

I only noticed this literally five minutes ago but at the end of the episode, the Gray Ghost poster also has on its billing Matt Hagen, the man with a million faces.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Has anyone from behind the scenes of BTAS ever explained why they went with Hagen instead of Basil Karlo as their Clayface? He's got much more in common with the Karlo from the comics, much like how their Tim Drake is basically Jason Todd.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Basil Karlo might be too on the nose as a Boris Karloff reference.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The only thing that I don't absolutely love in the DCAU is how relentlessly bleak Beyond's premise is. And how they tied it off with that JLU episode.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

SonicRulez posted:

The only thing that I don't absolutely love in the DCAU is how relentlessly bleak Beyond's premise is. And how they tied it off with that JLU episode.

I don't see how Beyond is any more bleak than Batman classic. Is there one particular aspect of the story that makes you feel that way, or is it something in the overall tone?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

haitfais posted:

I don't see how Beyond is any more bleak than Batman classic. Is there one particular aspect of the story that makes you feel that way, or is it something in the overall tone?

When Batman is in his prime it's up to you to imagine how his story and life might play out. But Beyond shows us an Old Man Bruce who is lonely and grumpy and arguably a failure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

haitfais posted:

Well, Beyond's basic premise assumes a world where Batman (and arguably the Justice League as a whole) made no significant good in the world beyond preventing it from dying and it's s megacorporation-run future-city where Bruce Wayne lives alone and abandoned in his lovely mansion. Any glimpse of Batman's old villains shows a depressing and unhappy fate for them except maybe Grandma Harley whose own granddaughters end up as murderous gang members, following (maybe unknowingly) in her fate.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I made the mistake of conflating TAS Batman with comic book Batman when making that comparison. Compared to TAS, Beyond is less than optimistic, at best.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Remember when Beyond was supposed to be the lighter "Batman in high school" show compared to TAS? The episode I think of when I remember that is April Moon, which ends with a guy about to get loving murdered.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I also somehow forgot that Return of the Joker contains one of the darkest scenes of any Batman story ever.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I actually really dislike Beyond and by extension Return of the Joker for that specific reason. I really hate the idea that the best adjusted Batman basically ever still ends up estranged from everyone he was close to, and his crusade is ultimately a complete failure with Gotham being largely worse than it was before. When DC does pointless, grimdark torture violence in the comics everyone calls them out on it but for some reason what happens to Tim is considered a Good Story. I guess I mostly have this objection because of how great BTAS is, and how wonderfully it captured the best parts of Batman's history, and then the creator turns around and decides, actually nah let's make him a bitter failure and brutally torture his plucky teenage sidekick. Oh and he knocked up his son's girlfriend, who's like twenty years younger than him.

Bad taste in my mouth.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Also, were The Batman's tie-in comics any good?

Semi random aside on that note, I work in a clothing shop and our children's department recently got some licensed The Batman socks in. They're brand new with a 2017 copyright date and everything.

Merchandise for a show that finished almost a decade ago, aimed at children who weren't even born when it was on. Why?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

purple death ray posted:

I actually really dislike Beyond and by extension Return of the Joker for that specific reason. I really hate the idea that the best adjusted Batman basically ever still ends up estranged from everyone he was close to, and his crusade is ultimately a complete failure with Gotham being largely worse than it was before. When DC does pointless, grimdark torture violence in the comics everyone calls them out on it but for some reason what happens to Tim is considered a Good Story. I guess I mostly have this objection because of how great BTAS is, and how wonderfully it captured the best parts of Batman's history, and then the creator turns around and decides, actually nah let's make him a bitter failure and brutally torture his plucky teenage sidekick. Oh and he knocked up his son's girlfriend, who's like twenty years younger than him.

Bad taste in my mouth.

I suspect it bothers people less because, for good or ill, BTAS is a finished story. It isn't a happy one but the themes of Batman gradually failing and what leads to that, as well as the actual change and development in the characters, means it has an actual arc with actual consequences. What happens to Tim is horrible but is a genuine end to a character's arc (regardless of which version of the story you choose) and gives him a finale. I do think BB is incredibly dark as a series it it also isn't completely without optimism. The eventual ending of the story after all is a new Batman who is not making the mistakes of the old one.

(That said the "Batman knocked up Barbara" thing from the comics is stupid as poo poo and nobody mentions it because of that.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's a mention that something happened to most of the heroes involving Ras' at some point, which can probably explain why so few of them are around and why Bruce is so bitter. I don't mind a dystopian future, because those are the fun kind of futures, and Blade Runner rules. Epilogue can gently caress off, though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Lurdiak posted:

There's a mention that something happened to most of the heroes involving Ras' at some point, which can probably explain why so few of them are around and why Bruce is so bitter. I don't mind a dystopian future, because those are the fun kind of futures, and Blade Runner rules. Epilogue can gently caress off, though.
Epilogue would be perfectly fine with most people if they didn't make Terry Bruce's literal son. I still really like it and its a good optimistic ending to the DCAU.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

Epilogue would be perfectly fine with most people if they didn't make Terry Bruce's literal son.

Well that's kind of the point of the entire episode, so yeah.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
To all the people saying that Batman Beyond depicts a future where Batman has failed...

...did you think he was going to fix crime forever, or something?

Is the Kingdom Come scenario, where has has a fleet of Bat-drones running de-facto martial law on Gotham preferable?

He's the guy who punches muggers and saves the world from immortal terrorists. He's not going to single handedly fix apathy, greed, and corruption.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

AlternateNu posted:

I imagined he would be more like pre-Crisis or Earth-2 Superman. Older. A little more sentimental. Willing to joke around and meet Batman as Bruce without all the sparks or animosity we saw in the TNBA/STAS 3-part crossover when they found out each other's identities.

Edit: Interesting note to that. I remember being pleasantly surprised when they remembered Louis in the list of dames old Bruce was fondly remembering in the Ra's episode of Batman Beyond.

Considering the twist of that episode, your typo of a guy's name for Lois is pretty apt.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

jscolon2.0 posted:

Considering the twist of that episode, your typo of a guy's name for Lois is pretty apt.

...Huh? I don't remember this. Care to elaborate?

I've mostly gotten over the whole aspect where Terry is Bruce's literal son. It's actually the retcon aspect that bothers me. They overwrote his fake-dad's reproductive material with Bruce's? That's just screwed up on a lot of levels.

I kind of like the twist that Terry never tells Bruce (because it doesn't matter, ultimately) and in his "fantasy" for lack of a better word, "Bruce" also doesn't seem to think it matters. Terry is his own person who does things his own way and seems to be on course to have the happy ending Bruce never could.

Also, gently caress all y'all, I really liked The New Batman Adventures and mostly didn't mind the redesigns, especially Preacher Scarecrow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reinanigans posted:

...Huh? I don't remember this. Care to elaborate?

The twist in the Ra's episode was that Ra's had stolen his daughter's body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

ImpAtom posted:

The twist in the Ra's episode was that Ra's had stolen his daughter's body.

This was revealed after "Talia" kissed Bruce earlier in the episode.