Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Any lucky getting more Australian ones chitoryu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gridlocked posted:

Not yet. Like German ones, prices shoot up to nearly $100 for a day's worth of food. Especially since I have a vacation coming up at the end of May, I should probably refrain from dropping $200 on military food for the Internet.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

This isn't written in french; you should sue.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 24, 2017

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Russian IRP-P kasha was the worst thing I've eaten that wasn't covered in fungal masses. The taste was actually pretty inoffensive but there was something about it that made me gag. Maybe the smell? It was awful anyway. Potato stew was good though.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I'm convinced that kasha is intentionally bad. I hated every variety as a child.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I love buckwheat, but I've never had kasha. It seems like something that should be impossible to gently caress up.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Halloween Jack posted:

I love buckwheat, but I've never had kasha. It seems like something that should be impossible to gently caress up.

Maybe it's​supposed to make you heave.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It's probably just the pork products that make it grody, I've had some good kosher kasha.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Never had military ration kasha, but nana and mom made kasha varnishkes all the time; it seems like you'd have to try really hard to make it bad. It's like rice or oatmeal or something.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I've only had Kasha made simply with sugar and poppy seeds, I imagine if it was home made with some sort of pork it would be fine.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Quite possibly, it's just that military stuff seemed to overflow with congealed processed pork.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Overflowing with congealed processed pork - The Military Food Thread

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Quite possibly, it's just that military stuff seemed to overflow with congealed processed pork.
For that specific reason, a lot of these rations seem like they'd be just fine to eat fried in a pan, and utterly repulsive to eat cold from the can.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

For that specific reason, a lot of these rations seem like they'd be just fine to eat fried in a pan, and utterly repulsive to eat cold from the can.

One thing I've discovered during heating is that the solid fat loves to melt when heated, which means your food ends up swimming in a pool of grease. There's basically no reasonable way to clean the grease off before eating no matter how thorough you are with draining, so it ends up inevitably coating your mouth.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Having solid fat melt like that meant that you could pick some mushrooms or something and throw them in the pan with your food while camping. Is that not done in the West?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Raid some farm for eggs and forage for mushrooms, make a gourmet omelet

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm firmly in the camp of "enough grease to make it better when refried but not so much that it grosses you out when cold".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ensign Expendable posted:

Having solid fat melt like that meant that you could pick some mushrooms or something and throw them in the pan with your food while camping. Is that not done in the West?

Do you mean civilian camping or soldiers camping out eating rations? Civilian campers in America usually carry dehydrated meals like Mountain House, off-the-shelf canned food like Campbell's soup and Spam, or off-the-shelf ready to eat foods like pouches of Starkist tuna.

For the military, all the field rations are sealed packages that contain exact quantities of prepared dishes and don't need to be thrown in a pan at all; they just get boiled in the bag if they need any cooking.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

chitoryu12 posted:

For the military, all the field rations are sealed packages that contain exact quantities of prepared dishes and don't need to be thrown in a pan at all; they just get boiled in the bag if they need any cooking.

Surely someone has made a novelty foam blob labelled "rock or something" to market to are troops. I don't want to live in this world if there ain't.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

All I can find after literally minutes of Googling is that Joe Paine, of Georgia, has designed "Or Something", which you can use to prop your MRE on as it's heating.

Nothing else, though. I can't show you how it looks, or anything else. Sorry.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Someone made an MRE cake and posted it on Cake Central.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Awesome, what flavour is it?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Awesome, what flavour is it?

Omelet

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ensign Expendable posted:

Lol most american are terrified of having to do any foraging. I was always told that every mushroom and berry was poisonous and would kill me, and that all the plants had grown out of dog piss and toxic waste, or were for decorative purposes only. Plants dont taste good, silly! Now eat these completely unrelated vegetables from the STORE, where it's safe. What do you mean they don't taste good and you have zero connection or interest in eating them and want colorful cartoon cereals instead?!?!

This is why America is fat. And it's why I'm rebelling and learning how to forage on my own, which is a little scary but it's hard to find these real life 'experts' i'm supposed to consult.

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

Suspect Bucket posted:

I was always told that every mushroom and berry was poisonous and would kill me

To be fair you really should not be foraging for mushrooms unless you know what you're doing. A young destroying angel looks like a button mushroom, until you die of organ failure five hours later. False morels cause seizures, and you shouldn't even bother with boletes because the poison ones and the tasty ones look exactly the same.

Foraging for tiny wild strawberries in the woods is pretty great though.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
please don't actually go foraging for mushrooms unless you know exactly what you're doing

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

please don't actually go foraging for mushrooms unless you know exactly what you're doing

Some, like true/false morels, are actually pretty easy to distinguish when you know what to look for. Others are so hard that even experienced mushroom hunters won't take the risk.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

If I'll ever go trekking in the wild I'd bring my own mushrooms, dried mushrooms are light and safe.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I just knew which mushrooms were guaranteed to be safe rather than heap every fungus into the basket indiscriminately.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Reiterpallasch posted:

That's what I'm saying. The experts we are supposed to have in our back pockets when foraging are just not available to most people. But thanks for the advice. I sure am a dumbshit and need constant reminding to not put unfamiliar plants and funguses in my mouth! :lolplant:

I have been out and trying to learn foraging on and off for years now. I am taking it VERY slowly and carefully, and have passed up many things out of fear of identification. I've done classes with this guy, he's super cool. No mycology though. http://www.eattheweeds.com/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 26, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The other difficulty (as the Eat the Weeds guy, who's a local to my area, talks about in some of his articles) is that plants don't always look exactly like they're supposed to in guidebooks. The US and Canada have just about every climate range possible, from rain forests to scorching deserts and from temperate woodland to snowy mountains. While the same plants may grow in areas 1000 miles apart, they aren't necessarily going to look the same. In unlucky circumstances, a poisonous plant may closely resemble a safe one or vice versa. Foragers have called Florida one of the hardest states to forage in because the long periods of hot weather and short spurts of freezing cold can greatly change the appearance and characteristics of plants from other climates.

The only real way you can learn to forage in the United States is by learning your individual area in detail.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Not yet. Like German ones, prices shoot up to nearly $100 for a day's worth of food. Especially since I have a vacation coming up at the end of May, I should probably refrain from dropping $200 on military food for the Internet.

Mate I have a friend in the army who's offered me them for nothing. If I come good on that order, I'll let you know asap

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

McSpergin posted:

Mate I have a friend in the army who's offered me them for nothing. If I come good on that order, I'll let you know asap

I will take you up on it!

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Surely someone has made a novelty foam blob labelled "rock or something" to market to are troops. I don't want to live in this world if there ain't.

If I recall correctly, Kiwi Dude on Youtube (whose videos are mostly MRE reviews from various countries) has a rock which has been painted to say "or something" which he uses regularly, which I think is the best of both worlds.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Unfortunately, it's not a huge reunion. But I received delivery of the 2013 revision of the Chinese ration, so once I finish eating it I'll be able to post a comparison review. Spoilers: it's actually worse.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Obtained a 10 menu crate of british army MREs. First ones ever. This will be interesting. No frhs, just boil in bag.

anomalous_pariah
Jul 14, 2017

Silver Alicorn posted:

Oh hey this is probably a good thread for me to dump some of these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKNGPMefJ_A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f55ZjXt7rrc

I've taken MREs camping before and they've always intrigued me so I will def. be watching this thread.

thanks, i guess

WAIT DID YOU POST SOMETHING ON RED PANDAS?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

anomalous_pariah posted:

WAIT DID YOU POST SOMETHING ON RED PANDAS?

Check ✅ me out on tumblr! 😜

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

chitoryu12 posted:

I have run into two menu b australian ones. Chitoryu, PM me if you want one. Will do you a significantly better price (cost of postage to you). I'm keeping the other for me. Trip report - so far I have only had the chocolate ration and it was basically just cheap shelf fresh chocolate. Not great but not terrible, edible at best

Menu B is as follows:
Braised Beef
Chicken pasta and vegetables
Golden pumpkin soup
Plus the usual stuff

Feel free to PM. We can organise something independently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Silver Alicorn posted:

Check ✅ me out on tumblr! 😜

I, buh, what? red pandas? Is this some sort of in-joke I'm missing?

• Locked thread