Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Aw, mother of poo poo. I have to do this on my S54 in the next couple of weeks and now I'm scared.

Was it like this when you opened it, or did you do something that I shouldn't? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I had a 206sw with the opposite problem, the bolt/cage rattled itself undone and dropped my spare on the road behind me at 70mph like laying a mine.

Right into the front grill of the saab 6 inches off my arse.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I don't know what that is but I want to play it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You've never heard of Spy Hunter?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

My god, you've never heard the theme tune, either!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbpHrD8wXWo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81C72HYJm_M

spog fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 24, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So many hours and quarters wasted on this game.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Locator posted:

So many hours and quarters wasted on the Macromedia Shockwave version of this game.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

I think I spent basically all of my childhood in that dingy swimming pool arcade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqw6yRlWc2c

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 24, 2017

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

I had a 206sw with the opposite problem, the bolt/cage rattled itself undone and dropped my spare on the road behind me at 70mph like laying a mine.

I laughed way too hard at this. I imagine the Saab driver wondering if you had a button on the dash labelled "Release the spare!"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Speaking of spare tires and Rube Goldberg type poo poo with pickup trucks, got a 98 Expedition.

A few months ago I got a burr up my rear end to actually look on how to change it. Ugh, may need a key through the rear bumper (I don't have the key nor know if I need one) but have the handle under the hood. No problem, you can break off the plastic tamper thing somehow. Then I read that probably the hole to release the winch mechanism will be lodged up with dirt and other debris. Then, once you get past that...whatever you do, do not raise it back up again because you will damage the mechanism without a load on the cable.

And of course, those spare tire wenches don't come cheap.

Thanks Ford.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ford used the same setup on the F-150s.

Try looking up where the spare tire is on a Caravan. :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Ford used the same setup on the F-150s.

Try looking up where the spare tire is on a Caravan. :v:

That's the one that's up somewhere in the middle of the car, right?

edit: Yep, that's the one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBDsymYS6X0

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 25, 2017

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

HandlingByJebus posted:

Aw, mother of poo poo. I have to do this on my S54 in the next couple of weeks and now I'm scared.

Was it like this when you opened it, or did you do something that I shouldn't? :ohdear:

We (I) snapped it off when trying to re-open the splined shaft after test fitting the new bearing/washers.

It was not broken when opened, and it wouldn't have been broken if we followed directions re: impacts not ratchets. http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/s54_vanos_rattle_procedure

edit: nothing about this job seems "hard". Fiddly, german, but not "hard".

GrantC fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 25, 2017

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Colostomy Bag posted:

Speaking of spare tires and Rube Goldberg type poo poo with pickup trucks, got a 98 Expedition.

A few months ago I got a burr up my rear end to actually look on how to change it. Ugh, may need a key through the rear bumper (I don't have the key nor know if I need one) but have the handle under the hood. No problem, you can break off the plastic tamper thing somehow. Then I read that probably the hole to release the winch mechanism will be lodged up with dirt and other debris. Then, once you get past that...whatever you do, do not raise it back up again because you will damage the mechanism without a load on the cable.

And of course, those spare tire wenches don't come cheap.

Thanks Ford.

Key is the same as your ignition key, at least on my 06. Pretty easy to do, and supposedly it doesn't damage the mechanism to wind it back up without a load so much as it won't come back down. I wound mine back up anyway with no problem....

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

Key is the same as your ignition key, at least on my 06. Pretty easy to do, and supposedly it doesn't damage the mechanism to wind it back up without a load so much as it won't come back down. I wound mine back up anyway with no problem....

On the newer ones, the hole for the mechanism is just a lock tumbler covering a hole in the bumper. On older fords, it was like a round cylinder thing almost like a wheel lock key that you stuck on the end of the jack tools and jammed way up in the bumper hole.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

It was probably too close for the safety to disengage and did not detonate. To prevent this behavior in the future, simply disable the safety or set a shorter range and fire away.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I know a lot of people who would money for the ability to do this anytime someone was on their rear end.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I know a lot of people who would money for the ability to do this anytime someone was on their rear end.

the p38 dropped an axle vibration damper into the grill of a tailgating audi.

...those dampers ain' light.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Mention Spy Hunter, but no love for Bump 'n' Jump?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdwZfH10zD4

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 25, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cursedshitbox posted:

the p38 dropped an axle vibration damper into the grill of a tailgating audi.

...those dampers ain' light.

seems appropriate...

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

seems appropriate...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

TotalLossBrain posted:

It was probably too close for the safety to disengage and did not detonate. To prevent this behavior in the future, simply disable the safety or set a shorter range and fire away.
Range to target. One ping Linglong only.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Darchangel posted:

That's the one that's up somewhere in the middle of the car, right?

edit: Yep, that's the one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBDsymYS6X0

Holy poo poo that's dumb.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

slidebite posted:

Yeah but it's dumb once or twice a decade. Stow n Go is awesome all the time.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

seems appropriate...

I need that on my MG

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Applesnots posted:

I need that on my MG

To hold the bumper on, no doubt.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

slidebite posted:

how often do you have to use a spare tire though, really?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh for sure, but I'm imagining some soccer mom with a flat in the middle of nowhere at night totally confused with their spare.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That's what AAA is for.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, AAA is what everyone should actually use when poo poo goes wrong.

Save the I CAN FIX IT MYSELF!! heroics for when its back in your garage.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

slidebite posted:

Oh for sure, but I'm imagining some soccer mom with a flat in the middle of nowhere at night totally confused with their spare.

To be fair, said soccer mom is going to be just as confused with a regular spare in the trunk.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bring back continental kits :colbert:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Jonny Nox posted:

Yeah but it's dumb once or twice a decade. Stow n Go is awesome all the time.

I bet that nut gets all gunky with the typical assorment of escaped cheerios, capri sun straw bags, capri sun, and those twist off lids to juice bottles that look like starships.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Just to add to my earlier complaints about punctures, went out a minute ago to find one of my rear tyres totally devoid of air.

So I guess it'll be a full new set in my future, once I can change the dead tyre for my spare. I swear my car must have read my post and been like "you what mate?" And punctured itself.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
At least it has a spare tire. Economy cars these days aren't even getting a spare, just a can of fix-a-flat, a 12v tire inflator, and a hearty "good luck".

Doesn't do you much good if you have a blowout.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BloodBag posted:

I bet that nut gets all gunky with the typical assorment of escaped cheerios, capri sun straw bags, capri sun, and those twist off lids to juice bottles that look like starships.

Trigger warning that poo poo; for all the nasty smoker's cars, ultra-poor-people's cars who were a few hard accelerations from snapping ball joints off, and redneck heaps that were actively disintegrating around you, minivans that regularly carried large amounts of kids without as-regular cleaning were the absolute worst to get into for any amount of time.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
I think in the UK it's still law to have an actual spare wheel. But we get those dumb safety spare ones that are super skinny usually and made with strict limits on speed/mileage I think.

Sitrep: pumped up the tyre and it's lasted me home at 15mph, bucketing down with hail and rain so didn't fancy putting the spare on.

I did however pack a big hammer, small hammer and a chisel my boot incase I need to persuade the spare tyre cage to drop.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cars with sticker prices under $20,000 should have sealed and waterproof interiors so you can pressure wash it "as a courtesy" any time one of them rolls into the shop.

No cushions either, just hard plastic.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Captain Hair posted:

I think in the UK it's still law to have an actual spare wheel. But we get those dumb safety spare ones that are super skinny usually and made with strict limits on speed/mileage I think.
No, goo and compressor is the order of the day in many cases.

Plus with some manufacturers (i.e. BMW) you get the joy of runflats, which are a loving abomination.

xzzy posted:

Cars with sticker prices under $20,000 should have sealed and waterproof interiors so you can pressure wash it "as a courtesy" any time one of them rolls into the shop.

No cushions either, just hard plastic.
The early Range Rovers were like this, basically carried over from the traditional Landies. Flat floor with no real sill, you can literally hose them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Spares should be tweels, trailer wheels also, gently caress the lower efficiency.