Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

The only thing I can think of is that you can swipe left of home for Google Now, on Nova you can't unless you root and install it as a system app iirc. Unless I missed a new development, it used to be that way. I can't root my S7 Edge :(

Yeah, as far as I know, you can't. You can map Google Now to a gesture but a left swipe isn't one of the available ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

DemonMage posted:

It's the new official launcher. Now Launcher was supposed(ly) to be discontinued back in February, but they're probably just letting it hang around until Pixel Launcher is available on more devices. Officially it can't be installed on many yet.

Huh, cool. I always assumed people were saying Pixel launcher as shorthand for "the google now launcher on the pixel" or something, so I never bothered looking into it.

It's not available for me on my MXP, so I'll just wait. I could get the apk from somewhere but...:effort:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

E: misread

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

DemonMage posted:

It's the new official launcher. Now Launcher was supposed(ly) to be discontinued back in February, but they're probably just letting it hang around until Pixel Launcher is available on more devices. Officially it can't be installed on many yet.

I thought it was limited to only pixel devices, no?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I saw reports of it opening up to one or two other devices back in February, but nothing I own. Maybe it was just rumors/bullshit.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Google Now Launcher has been removed from the Play Store and if you want the Pixel Launcher you'll have to sideload it.

To answer your question, they were two similar but separate things but now one is gone and the other is exclusive to the Pixel.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It's still in the Play store (for now)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.launcher&hl=en

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Personally, I tried the Pixel launcher when I first got the phone and switched to Nova launcher because I hated the Google now icon on the main screen. So far it honestly seems identical to Pixel launcher, except I have the Google now button in my taskbar instead.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Alrighty, Nova Launcher it is! Thanks guys.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Action Launcher 3 is pretty great as well if you're looking for something that is close to the stock Nexus/Pixel launcher but more configurable.

Configuring Nova Launcher to look like the stock Pixel launcher is much too arduous a process.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 25, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

Configuring Nova Launcher to look like the stock launcher is much too arduous a process.

And as far as I can tell, it's not even doable.

Specifically, you can't set the "Google widget" (whatever we call it) to only be on the first screen and you can't make it use round assets the way the Pixel Launcher does.

I'd really like to use it but I just use the Google stream to the left far too often and the little things that I'd tweak in Nova (mainly cleaning up the app drawer) just isn't worth giving it up even if I could make it look identical.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Specifically, you can't set the "Google widget" (whatever we call it) to only be on the first screen and you can't make it use round assets the way the Pixel Launcher does.

I'd really like to use it but I just use the Google stream to the left far too often and the little things that I'd tweak in Nova (mainly cleaning up the app drawer) just isn't worth giving it up even if I could make it look identical.

You can, just not if you set it as a persistent search bar, since... it'll be persistent in that case. Otherwise, it's just a placable widget via the normal widget selector. And if you mean round icons when you say round assets, you can do that, as well. It can still be arduous, but I believe it'll use round icons if they exist and you can download one of many stock round icon packs to mess with.

Again, it's 100% more work than just using the Pixel launcher, but unfortunately the Pixel launcher won't default to round icons on non-Pixel devices, so (AFAIK) it's the only way to get something approximating the Pixel look. Not being able to swipe for Now sucks, but for some it's not a massive deal.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I dunno I think I got pretty close (got an icon pack from the play store to make it look a lot better imo)

The biggest exception obviously is no google now screen to the left, which I use regularly on my Pixel and miss dearly. That widget at the top is only on the home screen, if I add more screens it's not present.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

CLAM DOWN posted:

I dunno I think I got pretty close (got an icon pack from the play store to make it look a lot better imo)

The biggest exception obviously is no google now screen to the left, which I use regularly on my Pixel and miss dearly. That widget at the top is only on the home screen, if I add more screens it's not present.

Just do what I did, expand the dock to 6 icons and add Google now to it.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

sleepwalkers posted:

so (AFAIK) it's the only way to get something approximating the Pixel look.

Action Launcher 3. But doesn't have the swipe functionality either.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

Action Launcher 3. But doesn't have the swipe functionality either.

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't clear. I just meant custom launchers there, not specifically Nova.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
It might be one of those scenarios where you can only still see it if you've had it installed before.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Medullah posted:

Just do what I did, expand the dock to 6 icons and add Google now to it.

I use double-tap to open Google Now.

CLAM DOWN posted:

That widget at the top is only on the home screen, if I add more screens it's not present.

Use the persistent search bar in Nova settings. It'll only show the date, but will persist on all pages instead of just the one.

bunky fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 25, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

datajosh posted:

It might be one of those scenarios where you can only still see it if you've had it installed before.

I can see it even when not logged into my Google Account

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

datajosh posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. The Pixel Launcher doesn't seem to be compatible with any phone besides the Pixel (although I hear it works if you install the apk directly). Since it's marked as incompatible, it won't actually show up in the play store at all if you try to search with a non Pixel phone, so there's no real way to even know it exists unless you read about it somewhere else. The Google Now Launcher is there no matter what though.

Also here's something fun I ran into trying to find it on the play store on my phone: It won't show in the play store, so you have to Google it instead. Except, you can't use the Google app/search bar, because while it'll bring up a link to the store page, tapping it just brings up an item not found error. You have to do a Google search through chrome to bring up the same exact page and suddenly the link opens the store page properly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

You can, just not if you set it as a persistent search bar, since... it'll be persistent in that case. Otherwise, it's just a placable widget via the normal widget selector. And if you mean round icons when you say round assets, you can do that, as well. It can still be arduous, but I believe it'll use round icons if they exist and you can download one of many stock round icon packs to mess with.

Again, it's 100% more work than just using the Pixel launcher, but unfortunately the Pixel launcher won't default to round icons on non-Pixel devices, so (AFAIK) it's the only way to get something approximating the Pixel look. Not being able to swipe for Now sucks, but for some it's not a massive deal.

Thanks! I didn't realize there was a Nova widget for the search bar, I only knew about the one from the Google app.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah I've got that icon pack in my wishlist from the last time you recommended it in case I ever did go back to Nova. I think I'm going to stick with the Pixel Launcher for now but at least my two major complaints have been addressed. Thanks again! :)

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

LastInLine posted:

Thanks! I didn't realize there was a Nova widget for the search bar, I only knew about the one from the Google app.

Yeah I've got that icon pack in my wishlist from the last time you recommended it in case I ever did go back to Nova. I think I'm going to stick with the Pixel Launcher for now but at least my two major complaints have been addressed. Thanks again! :)

What is that icon pack? I'm also digging the pixel look.

Another request: is anyone aware of a wallpaper changer app which will cycle through photos from a specific Flickr user or Flickr album?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

rolleyes posted:

What is that icon pack? I'm also digging the pixel look.

This one! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ciaostudio.pixeliconpack

It updates pretty regularly and is totally worth the price.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Am I being an idiot? Im trying to mark photos in my gallery as favourites as there are some that I repeatedly show and that'd make it much easier to do. I don't see an option.
I downloaded QuickPic too and also don't see an option.

This must be possible and if it needs a different gallery then I'd love a recommendation but it seems like I must be missing something obvious.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sad Panda posted:

Am I being an idiot? Im trying to mark photos in my gallery as favourites as there are some that I repeatedly show and that'd make it much easier to do. I don't see an option.
I downloaded QuickPic too and also don't see an option.
Just add them to an album?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Is there a decent alternative for Airdroid out there? I think it fucks up and crashes every other time I try to send texts from my desktop. :mad:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

On Terra Firma posted:

Is there a decent alternative for Airdroid out there? I think it fucks up and crashes every other time I try to send texts from my desktop. :mad:

I use mightytext. I pay for it, but it's worth it for me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

On Terra Firma posted:

I love Pushbullet, but I understand it is a bit controversial due to the cost. I stay under the monthly limit for now so can use the free version.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I love Pushbullet, but I understand it is a bit controversial due to the cost. I stay under the monthly limit for now so can use the free version.

Seconding the love for Pushbullet. I happily pay the $5/mo because I would blow through the free version's limits in a matter of days.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Tunga posted:

Just add them to an album?

Yeah, this is what I'd do if I wanted to continually find the same photos over and over. Just title your album Favorites or something. I can't see how that would be substantially different than a favorites tag anyway.

Then again I'm assuming this is from Google Photos, where albums are pretty easy to make and review. I can't speak for other gallery apps. (but seriously, use Google Photos, it amazing and probably Google's best app)

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Yesterday, Android Police mentioned that Messenger Lite is now available in 132 additional countries (US, UK, CA not included), and now it looks like Facebook Lite is also generally available. At least it's available here in Denmark.

I'm honestly not really sure how I feel about the Lite version. It's great that you don't have to deal with this over-bloated piece of code that is the regular version, but the Lite version just feels "off" somehow.
Then again I'm not furiously checking my social media every 5 minutes, so I might not be the best judge.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Just installed an Apk of messenger lite and vastly prefer it. I just want a simple chat client and on first impression it seems to be that.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Yeah I should have specified that I meant the Facebook Lite app felt "off".

The Messenger Lite looks great so far - a no nonsense chat client.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Fart of Presto posted:

Yesterday, Android Police mentioned that Messenger Lite is now available in 132 additional countries (US, UK, CA not included), and now it looks like Facebook Lite is also generally available. At least it's available here in Denmark.

I'm honestly not really sure how I feel about the Lite version. It's great that you don't have to deal with this over-bloated piece of code that is the regular version, but the Lite version just feels "off" somehow.
Then again I'm not furiously checking my social media every 5 minutes, so I might not be the best judge.
The screenshots of FB Lite make it look like a Java dumbphone app from over a decade ago

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
A bit more with Messenger Lite, can't archive conversations. For someone who likes the idea of Inbox Zero that's a bit of a pain.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Protip: use the Facebook mobile site instead of the app at all if you want to avoid bloat or whatever

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Metal is a wrapper for the Facebook mobile site that is very good and functional, I even sprung some monies for the pro version (I forgot what it adds).

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is there an android app to automatically submit FCC complaint for do not call registry violations? I am getting more and more spam calls lately and its driving me insane. Is the FCC capable of even enforcing this poo poo in any way?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
I hate to play devil's advocate here, but honestly ever since I got my Pixel I've had the regular facebook app reinstalled and there's zero problems with it. No "bloat" or lag of any kind and no effect on battery life (i only charge my phone every 2 days). Same goes for Messenger but that one's always been fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ahh, but does the official remember if you set your feed to chronological order yet? That's been my biggest beef with it (and their site) - I don't want your crazy algorithm-generated order!