Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I completely forgot about that. That gives me a reason to rewatch Kimmy Schmidt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There is an unwritten contract our society has all signed to simply treat all Muppets as if they are real celebrities and it's kind of amazing to be honest.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

rydiafan posted:

Best possible thing would be a secret District 9 sequel where the prawns invade halfway through some big budget romantic comedy.

Somewhere I have a rough draft of pretty much this.

It turns when they're laying in a field watching for shooting stars, which turn out to be alien dropships.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burkion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6-4ssFHryM

You know, this is actually incredibly sweet.

...I am not going to cry over a sappy YouTube music video about the show with the puppets making yakety yak over bad films with a man.... I... I'm not crying... YOU'RE CRYING! DON'T LOOK AT ME! :cry:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Isometric Bacon posted:

Oh man. I just finished Beast in the Hollow Mountain. I think this is my favourite one yet. Such a slow plodding movie, and BAM! Crude stop motion dinosaur out of nowhere!

I've seen worse westerns. I've seen better ones too, of course.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gaz-L posted:

...I am not going to cry over a sappy YouTube music video about the show with the puppets making yakety yak over bad films with a man.... I... I'm not crying... YOU'RE CRYING! DON'T LOOK AT ME! :cry:

Why is it raining in here?

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Man I can only imagine how they'd react to some of them(I imagine their brains would break at any of the Decade movies, or the OOO's/Den-O/Ichigo & Nigo crossover movie), although a couple I think would legitimately work for MST3K purposes if they had dubs(ZO & J especially come to mind, although both are short enough they wouldn't need any trimming for time and indeed would probably need a short or two to reach the proper episode length)

I don't really think Super Sentai/Kamen Rider movies would work on MST3K. (Objectionable content, licensing costs, and language aside.) Their biggest problem is they assume that you've watched their respective series and don't go into the background of the basic plot and characters because they assume the only people who are going to care and pay theater prices to see them are fans of the shows and (if they're actually kids) their parents. (Which isn't a good thing to do to begin with, but these movies are designed to sell toys and it works so I doubt they care.) It seems like it would just create a bunch of annoying cheap "Who is THIS guy?! What the gently caress are they talking about?! Where did THAT come from?! OMG EXPLAIN MOVIE!" riffs. That doesn't seem fair to the movie or the viewers.

On the subject of movies that we wish they'd do, I'm hoping someone brings Maria Mirabela to their attention. It's a Romanian-Russian kids movie from the early 80s. It seems to be a classic in both countries, but from what I remember from seeing it as a kid (the hole in the wall video store my parents rented movies from had a copy of one of its English dubs) it was pretty cheesy. One of the dubs also apparently has some... questionable lip syncing choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbWV24AwD6k

My other dream pick is Rock & Rule, one of the early 80s adult animated films that came off the heels of Heavy Metal and Ralph Bakshi's stuff. Though I'm not sure what they'd do with the drug sequences in that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kPP45npLaQ

Adnachiel fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 26, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Isometric Bacon posted:

Oh man. I just finished Beast in the Hollow Mountain. I think this is my favourite one yet. Such a slow plodding movie, and BAM! Crude stop motion dinosaur out of nowhere!

It's probably been over a decade since I watched it, but wasn't From Dusk Till Dawn like this (if it wasn't revealed in the trailer, trailers back then were even worse than today at spoiling movies)? Standard action/hostage movie, and then suddenly vampires? I remember reading a review that mentioned this, but I don't remember how long into the movie it was.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

BJPaskoff posted:

It's probably been over a decade since I watched it, but wasn't From Dusk Till Dawn like this (if it wasn't revealed in the trailer, trailers back then were even worse than today at spoiling movies)? Standard action/hostage movie, and then suddenly vampires? I remember reading a review that mentioned this, but I don't remember how long into the movie it was.

Pretty much exactly half-way. But yeah, that movie comes to mind.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Adnachiel posted:

I don't really think Super Sentai/Kamen Rider movies would work on MST3K. (Objectionable content, licensing costs, and language aside.) Their biggest problem is they assume that you've watched their respective series and don't go into the background of the basic plot and characters because they assume the only people who are going to care and pay theater prices to see them are fans of the shows and (if they're actually kids) their parents. (Which isn't a good thing to do to begin with, but these movies are designed to sell toys and it works so I doubt they care.) It seems like it would just create a bunch of annoying cheap "Who is THIS guy?! What the gently caress are they talking about?! Where did THAT come from?! OMG EXPLAIN MOVIE!" riffs. That doesn't seem fair to the movie or the viewers.

Yeah, you'd need a movie more like, Kamen Rider the First, or Ultraman the Next. A movie that stands on its own and doesn't tie into the TV series.

They could maybe do something with The First

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Keromaru5 posted:

Personally, I've always wanted to see an otherwise grounded, real-world movie, like a crime drama or a romantic comedy, where one of the characters just happens to be played by a Muppet. Not even an existing Muppet, either. Instead of simply hiring an actor, they would just have Jim Henson's shop construct one. No one ever calls attention to it, it's never relevant to the plot, it's just how they decided to fill that role.

Fox gave you Greg The Bunny and you didn't watch it!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Fox gave you Greg The Bunny and you didn't watch it!

Blah!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bicyclops posted:

There is an unwritten contract our society has all signed to simply treat all Muppets as if they are real celebrities and it's kind of amazing to be honest.

This is part of why The Muppet Christmas Carol works so well. No one questions the fact that half the cast are Muppets.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bicyclops posted:

I genuinely wish I could watch a big budget Hollywood movie that was mostly intended as a serious genre piece that out of nowhere just has a huge monster stomp his way into the movie during like the last fifth.

I guess the closest I can think of is when, halfway through the psychological mystery of The Forgotten, some guy just flies off into the sky in the middle of talking.

Burkion posted:

I mean, you almost have that with 10 Cloverfield Lane

Was going to post this after I saw Bicyclops' post.

BJPaskoff posted:

This is also a great answer.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah it's pretty great

Adnachiel posted:

On the subject of movies that we wish they'd do, I'm hoping someone brings Maria Mirabela to their attention. It's a Romanian-Russian kids movie from the early 80s. It seems to be a classic in both countries, but from what I remember from seeing it as a kid (the hole in the wall video store my parents rented movies from had a copy of one of its English dubs) it was pretty cheesy. One of the dubs also apparently has some... questionable lip syncing choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbWV24AwD6k

My other dream pick is Rock & Rule, one of the early 80s adult animated films that came off the heels of Heavy Metal and Ralph Bakshi's stuff. Though I'm not sure what they'd do with the drug sequences in that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kPP45npLaQ

Kinda why I suggested ZO & J, those two are completely standalone movies, if they had dubs they'd be almost perfect for the show(only problem being that both of them are pretty short, so you might need to do them as a double feature or something)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Burkion posted:

God dammit, this video made me feel feelings.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

The Jenny prayer DEAR LORD, MAKE ME A BIRD. MAKE ME A BIRD SO I CAN FLY, FLY FAR AWAY FROM HERE in Carnival Magic absolutely demolished me.. Biggest laugh of the series, for me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

God dammit, this video made me feel feelings.

It's the lyrics for the chorus plus the rapid cutting through the three main eras (and I'm not sure where the actual shots are from, but it could easily be Jonah/Hampton/Baron, Mike/Bill/Kevin and Joel/Trace/Josh in the shots) because, well, if you put a random episode on and closed your eyes.... you might not notice a difference beyond slightly different voices and maybe Mike would make a Seinfeld reference, Joel would do Cheers and Jonah might do Two Broke Girls.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Chernabog posted:

Does anybody know if the netflix show is US only? I can't find it :smith:

Currently yeah. You'd have to use a VPN from a us location.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Heh, The Loves of Hercules was amazing. I loved the riffs for the giant sun face with the Droopy voice and pretty much anything about Herc's voice ("I sound like Ren"). Also, that has to be the most insane ending to an episode ever. :stare:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I believe it's available in English speaking countries, so it includes Canada, UK and maybe Australia? Friend of mine in Mexico says it's a no-go there.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Egbert Souse posted:

Heh, The Loves of Hercules was amazing. I loved the riffs for the giant sun face with the Droopy voice and pretty much anything about Herc's voice ("I sound like Ren"). Also, that has to be the most insane ending to an episode ever. :stare:

"Weird sexy clown lady."

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Awww well... thanks.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I thought Netflix cracked down on that.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Also, I think the enhanced sight gags reached a peak with Servo getting swatted away by Hercules

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Mister Kingdom posted:

I thought Netflix cracked down on that.
It's kind of an ongoing battle, Netflix did crack down and there was a period of about 3 months where I couldn't access US Netflix via Getflix ( from Australia ), but now I can again.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Netflix only seems to care when a major newspaper writes about these new fangled things called VPNs and how that lets people outside the US watch US Netflix. A month later when the studios have stopped pestering Netflix about it, they go back to ignoring them.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

I know there's at least one PIA server that Netflix isn't blocking, but it's a lucky draw to get it.

Burkion posted:

*sniffle* I can't believe that after all these years, MST3K has somehow managed to improve Glee.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Burkion posted:

At first I saw that this was a youtube link and figured it was a host segment or song or something from an episode I haven't seen yet (I'm going slow, only up through 11x05), but I took a risk and clicked on it.

For everyone going slow like me, if you've seen 11x01, this contains no spoilers* and is wonderful and please excuse me I have something in my eye. :3:

* Okay okay, there are a couple of one-second-no-audio clips I didn't recognize. It doesn't spoil any jokes or plots or anything, how's that?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, I think the enhanced sight gags reached a peak with Servo getting swatted away by Hercules

The quadcopters in Avalanche did it for me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

duz posted:

Netflix only seems to care when a major newspaper writes about these new fangled things called VPNs and how that lets people outside the US watch US Netflix. A month later when the studios have stopped pestering Netflix about it, they go back to ignoring them.

I mean, there's no reason for them to care unless they're actually getting pressure about it. It cuts down on the angry subscriber emails about region-locked content that they have no control over, which some customer service department probably has to log and put in a chart in Sales Force. Their original programming is starting to take some priority away from selection in terms of staying competitive with peers, but keeping a good selection is still definitely high on the list.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

One place they definitely did not miss a beat is the musical segments. The Beach Boys UFO riff is extremely good.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy poo poo, Wizards 2 is garbage.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's with the random bubble screenwipes?

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Pollyanna posted:

It's hiding edits

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Then they need more bubbles to hide their hidden edits.

I mean, if carbon fibre composites are stronger than ordinary polymers, then surely carbonated Kingachrome would be an improvement.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Pollyanna posted:

Since the sets are flat backdrops they can't use a cut to another angle to disguise using multiple takes so the bubbles in Kinga's liquid video tech are there to do the job.

They filmed the entire season in two weeks so it appears they weren't able to do more than a couple of takes on the host segments.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
After rewatching a bunch of the episodes, I've really gotten used to Tom and Crow's new voices, so really props to Vaughn and Hampton for their work. I read an interview with Vaughn who said Joel told them to not sound like the previous dudes and it's a good decision.

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/features/837939-baron-vaughn-talks-playing-tom-servo-on-the-new-mst3k#/slide/1

I think I laughed a lot at Tom's Hercules voice in Loves of Hercules. In fact, in that episode, I believe all three of them have their own wormy Hercules voice and it's great.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Compendium posted:

After rewatching a bunch of the episodes, I've really gotten used to Tom and Crow's new voices, so really props to Vaughn and Hampton for their work. I read an interview with Vaughn who said Joel told them to not sound like the previous dudes and it's a good decision.

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/features/837939-baron-vaughn-talks-playing-tom-servo-on-the-new-mst3k#/slide/1

Yeah, it's pretty clever. He's trying to make the characters more like archetypes than personas. It fits with this idea of making MST3k into a dynasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
If you enjoyed Loves of Hercules, I highly recommend the Rifftrax of Bloody Pit of Horror. More Mickey Hargitay, and he's not just chewing the scenery; by the end he's swallowing it whole.

Also, that video got me MSTie too. (Seriously, how am I the first one to make that joke?)