Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Oldsmobile posted:

Still have studded tires on. Going to put summers on and then I'll do it.

Sparky smokey burnout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

They'd probably just clink everywhere and ruin a perfectly good set that I'll still use next winter.

Winters have been getting a lot less snow and ice last five or so years so it's really hard on the spikes as it is.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Well after waiting like 8 months I think it's finally new phone time. I passed on getting the Google Pixel when it came out, and it's been sold out ever since then. Now the LG G6 and Samsung S8 are out it doesn't even seem like the XL is that great of a deal. The Pixel XL has no water resistance. Also has no expandable memory, and no 64G option. 28Gigs is not gonna be nearly enough so I gotta pony up $100bux for a 128G model which means I'm gonna be pushing $1000 for a loving phone? No thanks. Besides, the new Google Pixel phones are gonna be out in 6 months anyway. I can't really wait that long so I'm thinking it's LG G6 time or I just stick with Samsung's TERRIBLE touchwiz UI and get the S8.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
cat s60. 5 mos and i've still yet to kill the fucker. thats a record boys.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If there was a sprint one I'd be all over it

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I don't care about the price difference I'm 100% glad to not have an Android phone any more

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Oldsmobile posted:

They'd probably just clink everywhere and ruin a perfectly good set that I'll still use next winter.

Winters have been getting a lot less snow and ice last five or so years so it's really hard on the spikes as it is.
May as well put them in the shed and get a used set of wheels to put good summer tyres on.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

I don't care about the price difference I'm 100% glad to not have an Android phone any more

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

Yea I miss win-mo, but they're not relevant anymore. :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Android will always be better, heretics :colbert:

Now excuse me, I'm gonna go hack the neighbors with my Kali Linux distro on my phone

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

Yea I miss win-mo, but they're not relevant anymore. :(

:gary::gary::gary:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Oldsmobile posted:

Oh god, I bought a 1-series BMW. Now what?

Get rid of those cheap arse plastic hub caps and steelies

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

Get rid of those cheap arse plastic hub caps and steelies

Ditch the back seats, too. They're vestigial at best.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Oldsmobile posted:

It really seems kind of like they just took a 3-series and stuck smaller body on that.

I guess they didn't have a small car platform but really needed one in the market or something.

Back seat's kind of cramped but fine for kids.

To be fair, that statement still works for back seats in the 3 series (E and F series).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

scuz posted:

Ditch the back seats, too. They're vestigial at best.

At that point, just cut off the rear part of the roof and make it a ute.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Android will always be better, heretics :colbert:

Now excuse me, I'm gonna go hack the neighbors with my Kali Linux distro on my phone

Better at having new vulns and 0 days, ya

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

funny Star Wars parody posted:

The worst 0 Day Apple has that it isn't fixing is the obnoxious fanboi-ism that surrounds it.

I

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
On my way home tonight I saw a Tesla Model S "drag race" a late 90's Mustang.

It went about how you would expect it to go.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Apple hasn't had any of tho....

https://www.wired.com/2016/09/top-shelf-iphone-hack-now-goes-1-5-million/

Oh.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

mariooncrack posted:

On my way home tonight I saw a Tesla Model S "drag race" a late 90's Mustang.

It went about how you would expect it to go.

The Mustang accidentally pit-maneuvered the Tesla off the line?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Heartbleed

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

"accidentally"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Today was my birthday and we went to a seafood place and I ate a one pound tuna steak rare and it was supremely good

Also good was the Caesar salad topped with anchovies I'm so fully holy poo poo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Everybody got hit by heartbleed.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Today was my birthday and we went to a seafood place and I ate a one pound tuna steak rare and it was supremely good

Also good was the Caesar salad topped with anchovies I'm so fully holy poo poo

Anchovies are good as hell idk why they're the go-to "gross" food, it's basically seasoning.

And it may not be sustainable, but drat if tuna ain't fuckin' delicious, pretty much no matter how it's cooked.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Everybody got hit by heartbleed.

https://www.google.com/amp/appleinsider.com/articles/14/04/18/how-apple-dodged-the-heartbleed-bullet/amp/

Enourmo posted:

Anchovies are good as hell idk why they're the go-to "gross" food, it's basically seasoning.

And it may not be sustainable, but drat if tuna ain't fuckin' delicious, pretty much no matter how it's cooked.

I don't think I'll be able to live when tuna is extinct

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Edit: Beaten

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

The opposite, actually. The road they decided to race on kind of a curve so the Tesla pulled ahead....and started drifting into the Mustang's lane.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 27, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

"accidentally"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_OUGYul7bQ

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

I don't think I'll be able to live when tuna is extinct
Happy bday man.

I like to think I'm pretty environmentally conscious but not in this case. I'm going to eat as much ahi as I can until it's all gone. Hopefully the mercury poisoning gets me first.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Rhyno posted:

"accidentally"

Tesla got between the Mustang and the pedestrians.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Another day, another plumbing disaster at work to totally unfuck...

loving tee under the 2" solenoid cracked, so now EVERYTHING has to come out Ann be rebuilt and replaced cos it's all wrong and all poo poo.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Oldsmobile posted:

Oh god, I bought a 1-series BMW. Now what?

Which one which one which one?

Ask me anything, I know way too much about those things.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Ferremit posted:

Another day, another plumbing disaster at work to totally unfuck...

loving tee under the 2" solenoid cracked, so now EVERYTHING has to come out Ann be rebuilt and replaced cos it's all wrong and all poo poo.

Oh god. Thanks for reminding me I need to add a check valve/backflow to my irrigation line.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So glad we dont get freezing here... Considering the park I mostly work in (Belair National Park) has probably close to 1000 Hunter I-25 sprinklers in it, and gently caress trying to fix freeze damage on that mess

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I don't understand why people have sprinklers in the North East, it rains here all the time morons! Spend the money on a heated driveway or something.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well disappointing news for housechat. The buyers who bought our current home had the deal on their home collapse yesterday which triggered the sale condition on our deal with them since they don't have the financing ability to pull off 2 homes.

More of a pain in the rear end than a huge deal for us, but still, it was nice having it done. I guess the husband and wife are heartbroken and sent us an email via their our realtor to let us know that they're going to do everything they can do to sell their house right away to buy ours and might already have another buyer lined up. Since it's not like its their personal fault of course they can give us another offer, but back on the open market it goes after we move out over the next couple days.

On the plus side, I don't need to buy a new washer, dryer and deep freeze after all.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

By deprecating OpenSSL. That's not really a fix.

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-49/product_id-15556/Apple-Iphone-Os.html

TL;DR: The idea that iPhones are more secure than other things is laughable. If its human made and programmed, its gonna have exploits and zero days. iPhone is no exception to this. Neither is Android.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy2Fv_4i4eA

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 27, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

By deprecating OpenSSL. That's not really a fix.

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-49/product_id-15556/Apple-Iphone-Os.html

TL;DR: The idea that iPhones are more secure than other things is laughable. If its human made and programmed, its gonna have exploits and zero days. iPhone is no exception to this. Neither is Android.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy2Fv_4i4eA

lmfaooooo

Deprecating a lovely lib full of bugs that led to literal billions of devices having a massive vuln any idiot could exploit isnt a fix? Meanwhile some company is paying millions for a vuln that whole teams take forever to find? Ok.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

lmfaooooo

Deprecating a lovely lib full of bugs that led to literal billions of devices having a massive vuln any idiot could exploit isnt a fix? Meanwhile some company is paying millions for a vuln that whole teams take forever to find? Ok.

Dude, if you are buying a closed source phone for its security, you're paying for ignorance. Sorry. Gave you a whole list of exploits, but please, continue to pretend you are super secure because you bought an Apple product.

No product is perfectly secure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Apple products and Unix in general avoided security problems for a long time as the end user was targeted. As that has changed then the holes in both are becoming more apparent because rather than seeing what was happening to Windows and taking steps to avoid it while it was not an issue it was ignored and now they have the same issue that MS had with Windows a decade ago. Maybe not quite as bad but still a similar situation.

Depreciating OpenSSL helped but I doubt it was done with any kind of foresight to the issues that became apparent later and the usual Apple view of not wanting to support stuff they didn't need to.

• Locked thread