Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

You know, those letters were sent to his wife, who was sending letters back and was into this poo poo

What I'm saying is that he was just a pervert with an active sex life and it's unfair to compare him to raperaperaperape statistics raperaperape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

theironjef posted:

We wanted to ride the zeitgeist of the Talislanta Kickstarter happening, so we covered Talislanta. Some other edition. It is impossible to read in a week, this is a lot like reading an RPG by James Joyce.

At the risk of being a China Mieville fanboy, this reminded me of a less focused, more excited Mieville joint with it's wild abundance of different races. Specifically the Bas-Lag books, which had human protagonists (mostly) and a supporting cast of all sorts of poo poo. The "Roman Robots building stuff" was rad, sort of between the Construct Council and the Anophelii mosquito people. Which mostly just reminds me that I'm sad the Bas-Lag rpg never happened. Plus Mieville's work has the sweet sweet current of anti-capitalist sentiment in the background.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Oh, I'm sure the creator of Far West will put that license to use any time now.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

At the risk of being a China Mieville fanboy, this reminded me of a less focused, more excited Mieville joint with it's wild abundance of different races. Specifically the Bas-Lag books, which had human protagonists (mostly) and a supporting cast of all sorts of poo poo. The "Roman Robots building stuff" was rad, sort of between the Construct Council and the Anophelii mosquito people. Which mostly just reminds me that I'm sad the Bas-Lag rpg never happened. Plus Mieville's work has the sweet sweet current of anti-capitalist sentiment in the background.

I tried to find a "A China Mieville fan! Get him!" meme but apparently it's okay. I would have figured it would be easy what with the invective lobbed at me for liking Neal Stephenson.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Bas-Lag RPG is impossible, the license is in the hands of Gareth Michael Skarka.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
My only memories of Talislanta are asking about playing a sneaky assassin and getting pointed to one to some femme fatale race with poisoned lips.

Never did actually play for some reason. :ssh:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Doresh posted:

But which Element of Harmony is Batman's?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26xxQcGDjxY

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'll be honest, I thought you were going to link this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2p02DfyzCE

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

theironjef posted:

invective lobbed at me for liking Neal Stephenson.

:confused:

Why would anyone hate you for liking Neal Stephenson? He writes enjoyable books.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

LatwPIAT posted:

Why would anyone hate you for liking Neal Stephenson? He writes enjoyable books.

no you see only some kind of simpleton would read a book to have fun and furthermore

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
The most Joycean RPG is Unknown Armies, since Avatars are normal people reenacting mythical archetypes, just like the characters in Ulysses (there are even charts with their mythological correspondences to Humors/Numbers/Colors etc).

I had an idea for a campaign where Dublin-based Bibliomancers & Cliomancers fought to preserve Dublin exactly as it was on Bloomsday, the date Ulysses takes place, but it might be too niche.

And China Mieville somehow started his brilliantly weird worlds by playing standard D&D, but I'm not sure how.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Is taking things personally some inborn nerd trait, or is it something that we learn, and hopefully un-learn later? Because Jesus, I may have opinions on Stephenson's writing, but I'd never slag someone for enjoying it.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think a lot of it is because of how deeply nerds tend to define themselves by the media they consume.

If a nerd likes something, then they have trouble accepting any criticism of it, because they see it as an attack on themselves.

On the other hand, if a nerd doesn't like something, then they feel attacked by the people who do like it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I read Stephenson books to have a fun story and also kind of learn interesting asides (that may or may not be true - good to look that sort of thing up later). He puts a lot of research into his work but isn't afraid to change things for the sake of a story.

But on a personal level he seems to lean a bit libertarian and while I don't think he's a neoreactionary, a lot of them use his terminology and language.

And REAMDE was awful.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Bieeardo posted:

Is taking things personally some inborn nerd trait, or is it something that we learn, and hopefully un-learn later? Because Jesus, I may have opinions on Stephenson's writing, but I'd never slag someone for enjoying it.

It's the same identification instinct that drives people wear branded sports team jerseys (for cities they're not even from, even!) and then riot over how the team in question performs. Humans naturally seek to associate themselves with larger groups, and mutual consumption and interest is an easy route to that effect.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

bewilderment posted:

I read Stephenson books to have a fun story and also kind of learn interesting asides (that may or may not be true - good to look that sort of thing up later). He puts a lot of research into his work but isn't afraid to change things for the sake of a story.

But on a personal level he seems to lean a bit libertarian and while I don't think he's a neoreactionary, a lot of them use his terminology and language.

And REAMDE was awful.
REAMDE is a dumb book for three-quarters of its length but the final 1/4th is actually kind of awesome. Not really worth the slog to get through it though.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I liked REAMDE. :shobon:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Talislanta seems pretty neat, but if you've got more than 15 races you should really offer race creation rules instead.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I generally enjoy Stephenson but all his books end way too abruptly. It's like his editor calls and tells him the book he's been writing for the last thirty months is due tomorrow at noon.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

LatwPIAT posted:

his pacing is not great, his fans are insufferable, and he's turned into more and more of a obnoxious ron paul libertarian over time

the second is connected to the third

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
also people have Strong Opinions about snow crash, whether the YT sex scene is glamorized rape and raven's whole... deal

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Talislanta at least has substance to its weirdness. Jorune just used the cliche of giving stuff weird names to make things fantastical.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Rifts World Book 10: Juicer Uprising, Part 13: "Sneaking into Los Alamo will brand the character as a dangerous monster invader who will be hunted down and either driven from the territory or slain."

A torso the size of all Texas.

Let's power through ten pages of Texas. We'll get more than we'll ever need of that with Lone Star...

Los Alamo
By C.J. Carella with Kevin Siembieda

Founded by survivors from the Texas National Guards and the regugees they'd rescued, Los Alamo is a largely human community with some mutant animals and D-Bees located near the ruins of Austin, Texas. However, they survived largely by creating a massive minefield they called the "Border", but they started to open up to caravans a half-century ago. Just a few years ago, they finally developed formal relations with surrounding communities, but turned down an offer by Lone Star to join the Coalition. The Pecos Empire and vampire raiders are disorganized but recurring threats to the city. No talk of a border wall. Located near the Colorado river, they largely rely on a otherdimensional plant they call the "Purple Pine" that only vaguely looks like a pine. They harvest fruits known as "purples", which are a citrus-like cruit that's a staple food due to the plant's ability to grow in the arid climate. Packs of ostrosaurs (not-velociraptors) are a local menace.

Originally run by so-called "robber barons" who were elite landowners and ranchers, the wealthy leaders of the community just took on the name of "barons". The governor role is held by a the B.I.C. (Baron-in-Chief), which is an inherited position, but the B.I.C. can choose whoever they want as their heir. The current B.I.C. is Morris Mellon, a gold-digger that married into wealth and believes in open trade for the city. He gets to appoint a number of officials, while there are elected Councilmen who handle minor administrative tasks like dog catching or garbage collection. Trials are short and Texan, and repeat offenses tend to get offenders in a minefield without a map. It's a modern modest city, and even has a train that now travels to other nearby communities. They've also been importing a lot of weapons (mainly Northern Gun), but recently the Naruni arrived and struck a deal with the B.I.C. that resulted in the majority of their arms now being Naruni. In fact, the reason the Coalition was rebuffed was that Los Alamo didn't want to break their agreement with the Naruni.

Having raided a military facility near Austin, Los Alamo gained the technology to produce Juicers and has used it since its inception. Now, there are no less than ten "body chop-shops", and Titan Juicers and Psi-Hound Juicers were first made here. They're considered to be local heroes that sacrifice their lives for the defense of the community, regardless of the modern reality of Juicer culture. In turn, many Juicers feel a sense of community responsibility and tend to police the worst amongst themselves.

Because Los Alamo is fairly desirable to live in, they have a strict immigration and vagrancy laws, but that doesn't stop illegals from moving into the rougher areas of town where they avoid notice. Humans tend to dominate and D-Bees tend to receive prejudice due to past conflicts with monsters and the Pecos Empire. However, racism tends to be covert and pervasive rather than overt or violent. Similarly, they tolerate but don't care for magic, and magic-related crimes tend to receive more severe punishment. Psychics are treated more fairly, considered to be a "natural" phenomenon.

Most civilians are familiar with combat due to ongoing small-scale conflicts, apparently, and know how to fend for themselves more often than not. We get a long breakdown of their units from armored companies to air wings. Unlike the writeup for Kingsdale, none of them particularly have any character, it's just a list of troop types and percentages and-

:geno:

Pillbox is smaller than the fence.

Places of Interest

Once again, only what's interesting to bring up.
  • The Border is a minefield that stretches as far as 50 miles around the city (uh, that's a lot of mines?), and incoming roads instruct incoming people to slow to 20 MPH and stay on the road. "Monstrous looking" D-Bees and those suspected of being raiders are turned away, and shot upon any refusal. There are also automated turrets that'll attack anybody who makes it through the minefield. Don't even try, PCs!
  • The Deathdancer Bar is, naturally, a bar for Juicers and mercs. Fighting is common, but defenestration is frowned upon. It's run by a headhunter named Joe! Hardaway!, who is so hard he was friends with Crazy! Lou!, the super-edgelord from earlier in the book. The respect for Crazy Lou was why he opened a bar for hard dudes with hard lives.
  • The Remaker Body-Chop-Shop is associated with local government, and you can get a Juicer conversion here in return for three years of military service. It's run by Dr. Joelle Monelli, who is rumored to have formerly worked with Reid's Rangers (the rear end in a top hat vampire hunters from Vampire Kingdoms, and it's said she's trying to put together enough money to fund an assassination of Doctor Reid or Planktal-Nakton. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy in any case, but I'm afraid Reid and his rangers are here to stay.
  • Freaksville is the D-Bee slum, and city utilities are spotty or nonexistent here. Still, the D-Bees tend to stick together. A gang of D-Bees all the Freak Fighters have struggled to make sure criminal organizations don't get a foothold here, as well as fighting human supremacists and supernatural predators. I feel like it's Carella giving the more positive spin here.
  • The Naruni Trading Depot was built as part of their local agreement, and they also sell civilian electronics and vehicles in addition to weapons and equipment, but some consider them to sinister destroyers of local business, like an alien Wal-Mart. Well, alien-er.

That's Los Alamo, we're not done with communities yet, but randomly we get:

That Uprising isn't in the text yet, slow down, Crazy Lou!

Notes Regarding Juicers & Other Kingdoms

Skipping some of the ones already covered here.
  • The Pecos Empire has some rough Juicer conversion facilities, while their nearby community of New Del Rio has more extensive facilities that service Pecos raiders.
  • Ishpeming (aka Northern Gun) develops Juicers, but we're told we'll have to wait until a future world book for that... that is, Rifts® World Book 33: Northern Gun™ One, available 17 years later.
  • Lazlo and New Lazlo allow Juicer conversions, but there are enforced counseling sessions to try and discourage potential Juicers before they're allowed to undergo it.
  • The Federation of Magic may have Juicer or Crazy conversions, wait for that book! Dragon Juicers and Murder-Wraiths are definitely created there.
  • The New German Republic has gotten some but not all of the more advanced American Juicer technology. Some in the NGR military are suggesting mass usage of Juicers to try and gain a decisive victory against their gargoyle enemies, but they're not desperate enough to try it yet.
  • Europe doesn't have much in the way of Juicers outside of the NGR, but the Poznan Collective in Poland has some facilities for Juicer creation.
  • Japan has illegal regular Juicer conversions, and Ninja Juicers are created by... ninjas, of course.
  • South America mainly sees Juicers in the Southern half of the continent, and there's "JAEP" Euro-styled lesser Juicers as well.
Next: The reckoning draws near.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 27, 2017

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Seveneves is two books, one that's really good and one that's 200 pages of orbital mechanics and insanely stupid future-racism.

Uh, something thread-relevant.

Really enjoying the 13th Age dissection. Like it when the reviews talk about how the mechanics fit together and work (or don't always, in 13th Age's case). I never could quite get my head around how to use the icon die - even as a full storygamer swine, I just didn't get what it was supposed to represent or how to use it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BinaryDoubts posted:

Really enjoying the 13th Age dissection. Like it when the reviews talk about how the mechanics fit together and work (or don't always, in 13th Age's case). I never could quite get my head around how to use the icon die - even as a full storygamer swine, I just didn't get what it was supposed to represent or how to use it.

That's because it isn't actually very well defined and honestly, a lot of stuff it does is stuff that's better done by talking to your players and finding ways to use their Icon choices as a guideline rather than rolling dice to see if their section of the plot actually comes up today.

I mean I guess they're fine for if you prefer to improv more, but given how you need to fairly carefully plan out fights and ration healing and all, I find 13A really isn't a very good game to go full improv on.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think the biggest piece of information missing from ARB's Juicer Uprising review is how many Teslas each Juicer type can lift.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

For a moment I thought you were referring to that stupid juicer appliance that's on the news lately.
If the Juicero could lift cars it might be worth the price.

E: was there ever a kitchen appliances RPG?

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 27, 2017

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

his pacing is not great, his fans are insufferable, and he's turned into more and more of a obnoxious ron paul libertarian over time

That's a good reason to hate Mr Stephenson, less of a good reason to hate people who like his books.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Mors Rattus posted:

The Bas-Lag RPG is impossible, the license is in the hands of Gareth Michael Skarka.

Who is Gareth Michael Skarka?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PurpleXVI posted:

The author behind Far West

http://www.isfarwestoutyet.com/

quote:

Far West is 1945 days past the Kickstarter deadline.

Serf
May 5, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Gareth Michael Skarka?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I know of him only because of the big flamewar he had.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

E: was there ever a kitchen appliances RPG?
Engine Heart.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

He's a guy who doesn't release games and gets very mad at people who ask him what he did with the kickstarter funds for said games.

EDIT: I just looked up what he's been doing lately and he's still playing the victim complaining about the backers being mean to him, five years after Far West was supposed to release.

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 27, 2017

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
So, FATAL & Friends, I have some ...developments... that I'm going to share here. I'm running MAID tomorrow. The table is myself, two guys, and two girls. Our D&D campaign wrapped in early February and this is our gag session / get back together for the first time. We've agreed to go 'weapons free', for lack of a better term. All the weird poo poo is on the table, everyone has been made aware of what they're in for and that they can back out at any time. There may be safe words.

The setting will be a demonic library from the D&D campaign, I'll be reprising my role as the sex-positive, succubus librarian. I'm open to any suggestions as to what I should have on hand to include. Gin is already on hand.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

A bunch of d6s and a pizza should be fine, if everyone knows what they're getting into?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

For a moment I thought you were referring to that stupid juicer appliance that's on the news lately.
If the Juicero could lift cars it might be worth the price.

He was, one of the gimmick lines of the Juicero was that it gave off four tons of force, "enough to lift two Teslas".

I think it's pretty much a given, however, that Juicer could certainly squeeze a Juicero bag by hand. So at least two Teslas.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

So, FATAL & Friends, I have some ...developments... that I'm going to share here. I'm running MAID tomorrow. The table is myself, two guys, and two girls. Our D&D campaign wrapped in early February and this is our gag session / get back together for the first time. We've agreed to go 'weapons free', for lack of a better term. All the weird poo poo is on the table, everyone has been made aware of what they're in for and that they can back out at any time. There may be safe words.

The setting will be a demonic library from the D&D campaign, I'll be reprising my role as the sex-positive, succubus librarian. I'm open to any suggestions as to what I should have on hand to include. Gin is already on hand.

MAID doesn't naturally generate much creep unless you're using Table 51b, the Trauma or Complexes tables, the Seduction rules, the Items table... which may sound like a lot, but all of that stuff is Optional with a capital "O", so it's up to you how deep you want to dive. Though the term "Lolita" was probably inadvisable to use in character generation, regardless of the actual intent.

That's not a defense of the game's creep, but just pointing out it's relatively easy to avoid some of the more problematic elements depending on how you want to roll.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I want to give the benefit of the doubt to Ewen Cluny and assume he at least meant 'lolita fashion' rather than the other meaning, even if the author may not have.

E: it is so weird to me that the Japanese guy who wrote Maid also wrote Golden Sky Stories.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

I want to give the benefit of the doubt to Ewen Cluny and assume he at least meant 'lolita fashion' rather than the other meaning, even if the author may not have.

E: it is so weird to me that the Japanese guy who wrote Maid also wrote Golden Sky Stories.

It basically refers to a character that looks young, small, or cute. Which absolutely has some problems when put alongside adjectives like sexy, but the player can interpret it in less skeevy ways.

If you think that's weird, then... y'know, I'm not even going to mention it. Yeah, it's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oh, I'm sure dude's done some other real weird stuff.

It's kind of fascinating.