Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Prey isn't developed by Bethesda, only published by them. It's from Arkane, the people that brought you Dishonoured series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MZ posted:

Prey isn't developed by Bethesda, only published by them. It's from Arkane, the people that brought you Dishonoured series.

The same Dishonoured 2 that was broken on pc?

Yikes.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

DoctorGonzo posted:

The same Dishonoured 2 that was broken on pc?

Yikes.

It was fine on PS4. I've no idea, I don't have a gaming PC.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Demo was pretty meh, floaty shooting, dull enemies, awful sound design, 'choose your own path through this door!' literally puts key card a meter away, etc.
Even if that's just the opening area it's a good illustration of why you shouldn't demo the most boring part of a game.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

I haven't gotten that far yet so it looks very much like a spoiler.

It's not really a spoiler unless even simple game mechanics are spoilers

Persona 5 spoiler: I fused a demon.... and then i gave it a skill that drained the element it was supposed to be weak against!!!! :twisted:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Do you think that people should know what boss mechanics are in a game before they even start playing it? That learning how bosses work isn't​ a part of jrpgs?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

irlZaphod posted:

Cool, Spoilers.

It's an optional thing you'd never see if you play normally and have to search out for it to actually fight, and the characters bring it up the very first time you visit the dungeon. I'm a huge
proponent of not spoiling anything in that game because i think it's the best game I've ever played and want people to go into blind, and even I think that's not a spoiler at all.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Thank you for putting me off playing persona 5 by revealing approx 300 seconds of a 400 hour long game

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Again, it looked like a solution to beating a boss/enemy in the game, not "basic game mechanics".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Do we think knowing about doing literally the exact same thing to beat The End ruins MGS3?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Snak posted:

Do you think that people should know what boss mechanics are in a game before they even start playing it? That learning how bosses work isn't​ a part of jrpgs?

The Reaper has been a gameplay mechanic in P3, P4, and P5, it has always had zero plot relevancy and you're usually not even SUPPOSED to fight it or beat it without some kind of exploit. Hell, most people probably won't even encounter it. I understand wanting to avoid spoilers, but if something as innocuous as that counts as a spoiler for some people, then it will become pretty hard to actually discuss video games, imo

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Hey if persona 5 is so good maybe you should go play it rather than whining about spoilers in a online forum.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I should've been less vague, but the reaper isn't really a boss and unless you're in the habit of dropping your controller in the random gen dungeons you'll never see it.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Macarius Wrench posted:

Thank you for putting me off playing persona 5 by revealing approx 300 seconds of a 400 hour long game

Thanks for spoiling that the game is 400 hours long, fuckface... i'm 399 and a half hours in and you ruined the surprise!!!!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Macarius Wrench posted:

Hey if persona 5 is so good maybe you should go play it rather than whining about spoilers in a online forum.
Edgy posting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Andrast posted:

The gameplay is poo poo and the story is bad.

Nah.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Do we think knowing about doing literally the exact same thing to beat The End ruins MGS3?

You really wouldn't consider sharing secret tricks to a boss a spoiler? Is the fun of discovering things ona first playthrough just not a factor for you at all?

Like, for real, when MGS3 had just come out, you wouldn't consider it a spoiler to say you csn set the clock on your ps4 ahead and The End will die of old age?

Edit:

Motto posted:

I should've been less vague, but the reaper isn't really a boss and unless you're in the habit of dropping your controller in the random gen dungeons you'll never see it.

So it's more like an easter egg?

Snak fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 27, 2017

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Snak posted:

You really wouldn't consider sharing secret tricks to a boss a spoiler? Is the fun of discovering things ona first playthrough just not a factor for you at all?

Like, for real, when MGS3 had just come out, you wouldn't consider it a spoiler to say you csn set the clock on your ps4 ahead and The End will die of old age?

I remember reading about that when MGS3 came out, and i thought "hey, neat trick!" and kept playing MGS3

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

irlZaphod posted:

Edgy posting.

Yeah well its true, if it was the gaming masterpiece everyone keeps implying folk would be glued to their screens playing it rather than whining on a forum about spoilers.

Its why people who get triggered from spoilers annoy me so much. Go play the loving game if you are so invested!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Macarius Wrench posted:

Yeah well its true, if it was the gaming masterpiece everyone keeps implying folk would be glued to their screens playing it rather than whining on a forum about spoilers.

Its why people who get triggered from spoilers annoy me so much. Go play the loving game if you are so invested!

The game's 80-100 hours long. Most of us have jobs. Bingeing something of that length is inadvisable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe they haven't had the chance yet? What a stupid talking point.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I would hate if my enjoyment of things relied on mystery. More power to the folks that need that i guess.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Snak posted:

Edit:

The Reaper is always presented as something you're supposed to avoid (because for the vast majority of the game it will slaughter you)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Regardless, tripping over potential spoilers untagged in the general PS4 thread is no fun, even casual, D-grade spoilers like the existence of The Reaper in P5.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 27, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
At some point you have to just disengage from the threads that repeatedly spoil the thing you want very badly to remain unspoiled, I've done that here in the past. It's not practical to expect several dozen goons to holds themselves up to your personal standards indefinitely, especially if those standards are clearly much higher than average.

Conversely, do try not to be a dick and put some thought into tagging things if you're talking about a very recently released game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Snak posted:

More like a consequence in enemy form. Think the Ghost in Spelunky or something.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's less that my enjoyment on things relies on mystery, and more that I recognize the fun in discovering stuff for myself. None of these little tidbits being dropped in this thread are going ruin the game, but each one is also something I don't get to discover or be surprised by. I've never played a persona game before and I am looking forward to getting P5 after finals in 3 weeks.

I'm not "being triggered", the game isn't "being ruined", but I also think it would be considerate to not keep sharing these things in the general ps4 thread, where multiple people have made it clear we don't want Persona spoilers. This is like the third time this has come up. Whether you agree or not, why not just err on the side of being nice?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's really not a spoiler, it's not even a boss actually, it's just a powerful enemy that appears if you sit still in a dungeon for a few minutes. And it's not a story dungeon, it's the randomly generated dungeon that you can go to any time

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Cool. Now I know even more about it. You guys really have this figured out.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Snak posted:

Persona 5 has a turn-based battle system

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Snak posted:

Lmao chill, you're making this into a huge deal and it's really not at all

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This thread always gets real saucy on Thursday mornings.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Persona 5 has a turn-based battle system

That changes when the Reaper goes in for a grab with it's scythe arms, you have to complete a minigame to escape.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Snak posted:

You're a big baby. Hope that helps.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the reaper has been in persona since 3 (and is even in some of the spinoffs like pq), it's not a spoiler that it exists. that's like saying that you can swap between personas in battle is a spoiler

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
They tell you the reaper will come get you if you stay too long in Memento's literally the first time you go there. The way he worded it seems spoilerly but is really just a weird oversight, there is 5 days on the calendar of "flu season" that can inflict it with a status that kills it in 3 turns if you fight him during those days. Presumably due to an oversight, since he is immune to all other status effects and supposed to be hard. Basically it's a super soft spoiler of a minor exploit. I wouldn't be surprised if you easily go the entire game without seeing the Reaper normally. My spoilered text is basically what the exploit is in case you don't want to know.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The only thing I'm making a big deal about is that people insist on being dicks about it. Does finding out about the reaper mechanic ruin the game for me? No. But in response to it, i say "I would rather find out about those things on my own" to which someone responds with more information about it?

Like why do you always gotta be such edgelords in defining and quantifying why the stuff you're saying isn't technically any kind of spoilers, when several people, including me, have asked for that to be kept out of this thread? Oh, I get it, this is something awful, so if we can't handle being trolled, that's on us.

Whatever.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
I think the way that he worded it led to it intentionally seeming much worse than it is, while it was an offhand comment it probably didn't need to be posted in that way even though it was just drawing attention to the weird way you can kill it with the exploit. At the very least he could have just said there is a boss that <spoiler text in tags> but it truly was minor ultimately what he said since it is explicitly explained very quickly in game to you.

Scorps fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Snak posted:

The only thing I'm making a big deal about is that people insist on being dicks about it. Does finding out about the reaper mechanic ruin the game for me? No. But in response to it, i say "I would rather find out about those things on my own" to which someone responds with more information about it?

Like why do you always gotta be such edgelords in defining and quantifying why the stuff you're saying isn't technically any kind of spoilers, when several people, including me, have asked for that to be kept out of this thread? Oh, I get it, this is something awful, so if we can't handle being trolled, that's on us.

Whatever.

Uh it's just cool to talk about games and how they work