Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

S.J. posted:

If I loving loved Dawn of War 2, am I gonna be upset with this game or what

I love more micro-heavy RTS's

DOW2 is my favourite 40k game and I loving hated playing the beta of this as did my beta exploration friend. Please bear in mind that I only really like single player RTS games and the squad element/characterisation/rpg-lite of single player DOW2 was my jam for a long, long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Right now it's a macro vs macro blobfest, but I don't see why micro techniques like stutter stepping wouldn't work against melee heavy armies at the start.

Blobbing gets you destroyed in this game by a half decent player.

It's very micro intensive. Elites punish A-clicks pretty handily.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So people have been going on and on about how the game plays, or how it looks, but nobody has mentioned one of the most important core features of a dawn of war game.

Are any of the voiced lines real stinkers? Something as dumb as boreale would be enough to justify the game to me.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

S.J. posted:

Orks are literally my spirit animal so that's cool to hear

Orks are a fungus, not an animal.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FoolyCharged posted:

So people have been going on and on about how the game plays, or how it looks, but nobody has mentioned one of the most important core features of a dawn of war game.

Are any of the voiced lines real stinkers? Something as dumb as boreale would be enough to justify the game to me.

The voice cast is almost entirely new, so I'm not expecting the same level of hamminess that you get from hiring former Dragon Ball Z actors.
I mean, how do you top the cast they got for Retribution?

Compare this to the DOW3 voice actor video and just see the difference in crazed enthusiasm between the two. Keith Ferguson is DA GROT and nobody else will top him.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 27, 2017

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

FoolyCharged posted:

Don't know about a stinker but I was caught off guard when a deathstorm pod loudly declared "PURGING HERETICS AND/OR XENOS".

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FoolyCharged posted:

I played the orks and can only remember an ork unit saying something like ''taking resource point. Wats a resource point''
I remembered it because I did a severe eye roll

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Like it wasn't even cockney it was like just caveman grunting from memory.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Did they bury the lede here or is this some kind of mix up?

E: yeah they very much buried the lede.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/dawn-of-war-3/dawn-of-war-3-map-editor

Artum fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 27, 2017

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Do I need to download the whole game if I played the open beta?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

KingEup posted:

So there was a good DoW3 in development and then abandoned in favour of a more accessible game: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=4BZVg2gFSDg

That said I'm glad the DoW3 team wanted it to be a welcoming game with appeal to a broader audience :gay:

Wasn't DoW2 with its lack of base building, smaller armies with sturdier units that can easily retreat much more welcoming to a broader audience?

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Relic says 5 minutes but steam says 3 hours. Which is it most likely?

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
It's live. Restart Steam.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
People saying you get a ton of xp for elites and skulls in single player campaign . I'm hopeful this alleviates having to unlock crap in a multiplayer grind but we'll see. Haven't seen anyone comment on if the multiplayer gains have changed

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I just hope that they learned their lesson with CoH2 and aren't going to do stupid lottery doctrine upgrades.

I bought the game on sale on GMG, please refer back to my previous quote.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I just hope that they learned their lesson with CoH2 and aren't going to do stupid lottery doctrine upgrades.

I bought the game on sale on GMG, please refer back to my previous quote.

Hoping it remains 25% off tomorrow, when I get paid.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Comrayn posted:

People saying you get a ton of xp for elites and skulls in single player campaign . I'm hopeful this alleviates having to unlock crap in a multiplayer grind but we'll see. Haven't seen anyone comment on if the multiplayer gains have changed

Dunno about multiplayer but I got 100 skulls and 3 levels on Gabriel for completing the very first mission on normal. I also started with 500 skulls. The elites I looked at costed around 200. Progression doesn't seem bad.

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
What are the elites like? I'm curious to know what the full list for each race is. I'm hoping to see a melee knight as well as some actual ranged terminators for SM in particular.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Zaodai posted:

I probably will during the summer sale. :negative:

:same:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

So if I hate people and would probably only play the single player campaign and the skirmishes/multiplayer with the AI, am I still likely to get enjoyment from this game?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

WMain00 posted:

So if I hate people and would probably only play the single player campaign and the skirmishes/multiplayer with the AI, am I still likely to get enjoyment from this game?

Reviews have been mixed on the campaign, most I have heard say that it mostly gears you up for MP, good or bad. It is probably still fun but maybe not worth sticker price

If you hate people have you considered killing them in MP? :getin:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

WMain00 posted:

Maybe. It's only been out for a few hours. I just spent time customizing my orks. I have not even played the single player stuff yet.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Reviews have been mixed on the campaign, most I have heard say that it mostly gears you up for MP, good or bad. It is probably still fun but maybe not worth sticker price

If you hate people have you considered killing them in MP? :getin:

Because 9 times out of 10 I suck at playing against people in multiplayer RTS :(

I fare better when i'm playing against the computer. I gather the multiplayer has the option to play against the computer, yeah?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

WMain00 posted:

Do you like Warhammer 40k? Do you like RTS? If yes to either then yes you will get enjoyment.

I dont think most people even in this thread would say it's not fun. The issue is more of if you'll be disappointed if it's not a return to 1 or 2. That or if the price of admission is a significant cost to you. I think it's fun to play but it's a bit pricey for me.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Solarflare posted:

What are the elites like? I'm curious to know what the full list for each race is. I'm hoping to see a melee knight as well as some actual ranged terminators for SM in particular.

Space Marines:
Kill-Team Ironmaw (versatile ranged squad, 2 EP)
Librarian Jonah Orion (support caster, good for trapping enemies and helping allies escape, 3 EP)
Chapter Master Gabriel Angelos (melee tank with lots of disruption, 4 EP)
Chaplain Diomedes (melee and shooting, buffs nearby allies with special melee attacks, 4 EP)
Terminator Squad (shooting heavy infantry squad, can teleport and launch missiles, 6 EP)
Assault Terminator Squad (melee heavy infantry squad, very tanky, can teleport, 7 EP)
Venerable Dreadnought (shooting/melee walker, can overcharge its plasma cannon for a big blast at the cost of overheating and becoming slowed, 7 EP)
Imperial Knight Paladin (shooting/melee super walker, powerful chainsword attacks, 9 EP)
Imperial Knight Solaria (shooting only super walker, various nukes, 10 EP)

Da Orkz:
Stormboyz (jump melee squad, 2 EP)
Weirdboy Zappnoggin (glass cannon ranged nuker, 3 EP)
Da Kommando (stealthy crowd control hero, 3 EP)
Warboss Gorgutz (melee tank, can spin to damage and slow nearby enemies and deflect shots, 4 EP)
Big Mek Wazmakka (support character, creates scrap and builds temporary turrets, 4 EP)
Meganobz (heavy infantry squad with various abilities, 6 EP)
Mad Dread (melee walker with big drills, can build tunnels, 7 EP)
Beauty Da Morkanaut (shooting/melee super walker, creates forcefields to protect allies, 9 EP)
Gorkanaut (shooting/melee super walker, can launch its rocket fist into orbit and pull down an asteroid to crush its opponents (!!!) 9 EP)

Eldar
Striking Scorpions (stealth melee hunter squad, 2 EP)
Farseer Macha (nuker, has a spear she can throw and has abilities that trigger based on its position, 3 EP)
Ranger Ronahn (powerful sniper/scout hero, 3 EP)
Jain Zar (melee assassin, damaging and fast but somewhat vulnerable, 4 EP)
Warp Spiders (teleporting ranged squad, 5 EP)
Autarch Kyre (melee hero, can start flying like a skimmer and drop grenades on enemies, 5 EP)
Wraithlord (melee walker, can teleport other Wraith units to itself, 7 EP)
Wraithknight (shooting only super walker, 9 EP)
Wraithknight Taldeer (melee only super walker, can imprison enemies in stasis, 9 EP)

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I actively chose not to pre-order this then caved and just bought it because I have always loved and will always love 40k and it's goofy poo poo. :sigh:

Is there a discord or group that anyone else is in for this? I am bad at RTS games so I appreciate pointers a ton

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

TwingeCrag posted:

I actively chose not to pre-order this then caved and just bought it because I have always loved and will always love 40k and it's goofy poo poo. :sigh:

Is there a discord or group that anyone else is in for this? I am bad at RTS games so I appreciate pointers a ton

I don't think so, just the steam group in OP. So I made one.

https://discord.gg/eGyn5tz

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
is this game super poorly optimized or something? i have a 1080 and an i6700k and it's auto-detecting the worst possible settings, but it's still running pretty poo poo on only 'high' settings.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

is this game super poorly optimized or something? i have a 1080 and an i6700k and it's auto-detecting the worst possible settings, but it's still running pretty poo poo on only 'high' settings.

I don't have the full version yet, but the beta ran extremely smooth on high on my i3-2100 and GTX 960.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that's just it, the beta ran fine on my system. not sure why this is any different.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I can't figure out how to set up a skirmish vs the AI. There are three difficulty levels shown, but then it says I can't add an AI to a Quick Match. I don't see any other match type. Any assistance much appreciated.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Lorini posted:

I can't figure out how to set up a skirmish vs the AI. There are three difficulty levels shown, but then it says I can't add an AI to a Quick Match. I don't see any other match type. Any assistance much appreciated.

I think you need to go to the "custom" tab under the multiplayer tab.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

ilmucche posted:

Orks are a fungus, not an animal.

First, they're a hybrid DNA strand

Second, do not challenge me on ork lore. Please, seriously, I've sperged out too many times in the past already and I don't know if I can handle it

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

They do reproduce via spores though, at least. :science:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Oh for sure. Orks are by far the best part of Warhammer. That's a fact.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Imagine playing any Warhammer game and NOT choosing orks. That would be pretty messed up.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Nope for some reason the auto detect is super pessimistic. Its optimised fine.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Popete posted:

Imagine playing any Warhammer game and NOT choosing orks. That would be pretty messed up.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
The campaign missions give LOTS of elite XP, and quite a few skulls to boot. I am playing on Hard, but even still the first mission gave me five Gabe levels and the second three Gorgutz levels. I was a little worried about a potential grind, but if this keeps up that won't be the case at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Hoping my r9 270 wont melt.

• Locked thread