Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

But you did say that iCrap are in someway enterprise ready. I'm saying they arent at all :p . Plus I just had to take the chance to bash the poo poo out of these loving awful things :D
Look at it this way. I work for a big American company. Corporate policy is that the smartphones issued to everyone who "rates" one are iPhones.

"Enterprise ready" as determined by IT guys gets pounded into the dirt by what can be sold to people at a decision-making managerial level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Your Windows admin is an idiot if that's even close to true

Turn your monitor on lol

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

srs tho android4lyfe

I'm kinda more at the point of "does it work? does it run the apps I like? how's the battery life?" over everything else (unless it has Samsung TouchWiz, then you can throw that poo poo into the nearest fire).

I prefer Android, I've never owned an iDevice, but I wouldn't say no to an iPhone. I just hate the price tag.

Beverly Cleavage posted:

quoting for truth. Also, I have an android and iOS phones. Probably a winmo device somewhere in a drawer... Am I sperg king?

I have a Palm Treo 650 sitting here. :colbert:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
All mobile phones suck because life was better before they existed* #LEAVEITOBEAVER

*offer may not apply to minorities, gays, women, or nerds who champion iphones on the internet

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Pah! For true phone security, you can't beat Windows Phones.

Half of our staff have phones that can access email/calendar, but not the Internet.

The other half can access the Internet, but not their email/calendar.

You will change from the first group to the second if you ever forget or mistype your password.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ether Frenzy posted:

All mobile phones suck because life was better before they existed* #LEAVEITOBEAVER
I think you mean "every OS sucks".

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Capitalistic consumerism is killing us all

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I am a hateful soulless void but I got a sweet phone

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

I am a hateful soulless void but I got a sweet phone
We count that as "Apple".

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

InitialDave posted:

We count that as "Apple".

I said a sweet phone.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Capitalistic consumerism is killing us all

Not empty quoting.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Sorry to break up phone chat, but taking in a ballgame with my dad's season seats:

Two seats right up on the upper deck rail along the right field line pretty much facing the left field foul pole. Great view of the whole field and pretty much on top of home plate. He's hoping if they make another playoff run this year the seats will pay for themselves.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Geoj posted:

Sorry to break up phone chat, but taking in a ballgame with my dad's season seats:

Two seats right up on the upper deck rail along the right field line pretty much facing the left field foul pole. Great view of the whole field and pretty much on top of home plate. He's hoping if they make another playoff run this year the seats will pay for themselves.

Nice! You better be getting a hot dog with Stadium Mustard though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geoj posted:

That's awesome man. I live about ten minutes from the Rays stadium (Tropicana field) and the best seats are in the upper deck right behind home plate, I can usually get them for $15. Love baseball and love the Rays, having a MLB ballpark so close to home is the poo poo.

This shot is from further up for maximum wide angle:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

I think you mean "every OS sucks".

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...RBdefGg5Nm-nmMg

Well, I did jinx myself. HR fuckstick finally left a voice message (after claiming that he had tried to call, like 3 times - never once to my cell phone, mind you, which number I left every time I called. Fuckstick.) letting me know that they had decided to separate. I'm not "fired" per se, as he said specifically that I am eligible for Cobra and Unemployment. I've just been let go. Not sure how I'm going to put this one on the resume.

I got a month of paid vacation out of the deal while they farted around making up their minds, I guess, and I still get my accrued 4 days of vacation on my final paycheck, so could have been worse.
:toot:

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Upper deck seats are great. Except when you're in watching the game go into extra innings on a windy evening at AT&T Park.

Hope Matt Duffy heals up well and comes back strong for the Rays.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Ether Frenzy posted:

*offer may not apply to minorities, gays, women, or nerds who champion iphones on the internet

Massively true

I lost my smartphone in January last year and went back to a Nokia brick and extremely loved not having constant email/facebook/etc connectivity. Then my gf made me get another smartphone because she wanted me to have constant connectivity. Boo. Also my insurance company bought me a new iPhone 6 without asking me, instead of just paying me out money. Double boo

Also I have an android work phone and it sucks and I don't know how to use it

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Between losing a friend, a good friend losing her mother, finding the bottle again, and getting hit with sadbrains stuff, my financial situation has gone to poo poo over the past couple of weeks (mostly from not working... I get paid twice a week, for that week's work, instead of the typical 1-2 week delay you get in a W2 job).

Just got both student loans put into hardship forbearance for a bit, started working again this week, and I'm finally starting to feel halfway decent again, mentally and physically. (oh yeah finally have the drinking back down to "can actually function", with a goal of "no alcohol period" pretty quickly). Now I just gotta scramble to make rent.

My old roommates asked if I'd let them move back in for $200. Ahahaha... I need to scare up money quick, but I'd rather live in my car vs let them in again. Besides, I know it'd be one excuse after another about where the $200 is every day until I got sick of them again, they still owe me several hundred.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 28, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

monsterzero posted:

Upper deck seats are great. Except when you're in watching the game go into extra innings on a windy evening at AT&T Park.

Hope Matt Duffy heals up well and comes back strong for the Rays.

Unless you're in a dome :smug:

Looking forward to Duffy coming back, and we also acquired an injured Colby Rasmus who is almost fully recovered, can't wait to watch him play for the Rays. Lately they have had issues closing out games after a strong start, if they can figure out how to finish they'll be a tough team to beat.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Darchangel posted:

Well, I did jinx myself. HR fuckstick finally left a voice message (after claiming that he had tried to call, like 3 times - never once to my cell phone, mind you, which number I left every time I called. Fuckstick.) letting me know that they had decided to separate. I'm not "fired" per se, as he said specifically that I am eligible for Cobra and Unemployment. I've just been let go. Not sure how I'm going to put this one on the resume.

I got a month of paid vacation out of the deal while they farted around making up their minds, I guess, and I still get my accrued 4 days of vacation on my final paycheck, so could have been worse.
:toot:

Sucks, but at least it didn't come out of left field as a huge surprise. For the resume since it was a contract position, you can just put that the contract work ran out (which it sort of technically did) and the contracting company didn't want to keep paying you without a position to slot you into. I'm sure a real resume writer person could dress that up and but a nice bow on it somehow.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I'm at Titans stadium for the draft and I'm bidding on a 99 LS400 on eBay with 75k miles

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

the spyder posted:

I've got a HP Elitebook with a 256GB SSD I was just about to put in Goonmart for $250.

I may hit you up on that, I got a esata cable and am about to clone my HDD to the SDD i have and see if that is all it needs. Just looking to spend as little as possible right now.

So I've been watching a lot of tv while running and the creaking of the machine is requiring me to crank up the volume quite a bit. Thing is, I run at night and don't want to disturb the fiance. So I want to grab some wireless earbuds to run with but I'd need to pipe the tv through them. Is there a bluetooth dongle I can buy that I can plug into the audio out jack and sync to a set of headphones?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

monsterzero posted:

Kind of had this going on tonight, wind blowing off the lake made the 60 degrees by the end of the game feel like 45.

We ran out after the game to Michael Symon's barbecue restaurant Mabel's and just sitting inside out of the wind feels like a sauna.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I may hit you up on that, I got a esata cable and am about to clone my HDD to the SDD i have and see if that is all it needs. Just looking to spend as little as possible right now.

So I've been watching a lot of tv while running and the creaking of the machine is requiring me to crank up the volume quite a bit. Thing is, I run at night and don't want to disturb the fiance. So I want to grab some wireless earbuds to run with but I'd need to pipe the tv through them. Is there a bluetooth dongle I can buy that I can plug into the audio out jack and sync to a set of headphones?

Oh yeah the best seller on Amazon is $28 like 6k reviews

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Google "Bluetooth transmitter". You'll probably have to come up with a RCA -> 3.5mm cable for most of them. Quality ranges from lol to so-so.

e: also if you have a Fire TV (or Fire TV Stick) on that TV, you may be able to pair bluetooth headphones with that, and just turn the TV volume down to 0. Obviously only works if you're watching content from the Fire TV.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 28, 2017

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01EHSX28M/ref=psdc_10110414011_t3_B00I59VBH4

You want something like this. You want to make sure what you buy is a bluetooth transmitter. Most only are receivers only.

My experience with these wasn't great. I used my headphones with a bunch of different devices so I'd have to repair every time and it was a pain in the rear end. Different device though, so your mileage may vary.

I'd recommend just getting a tablet and watching things off that if possible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a tablet and it's a huge pain to keep it wedged in place. I moved the the in there to make it easier to distract myself.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

I have a tablet and it's a huge pain to keep it wedged in place. I moved the the in there to make it easier to distract myself.

It's not supposed to be a suppository

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's not supposed to be a suppository

NOW YOU TELL ME

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man. Some poo poo happened at my school club last week. I'd rather not go into details, but an ongoing bad thing in a certain club project was made right, with consequences for project funding for the entire club, including mine. We'll recover but some hella cool poo poo I wanted to try and do for a senior design project is almost certainly not gonna happen, and for once the bad thing actually was something completely and utterly out of my control.

Ethically it was the right move, but I'm lowkey more and more highkey pissed off that the bad thing was begun in the first place, and perpetuated long enough to affect me.

E: Guess my senior design project will be a loving hardware rack or something. Which is fine and all, but man the poo poo I had planned would have been dope.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The sellers of the house we are in talks to buy signed off on our repair addendum to fix almost everything we asked for after the home inspection. :holymoley:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Rhyno posted:

Might be more than you want to spend, but I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SOU2Y0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

a few years ago when I was living with my in-laws and wanted to not disturb them/shut out all the noise of the house and they work amazingly well. You can buy additional headphones and hook them up to the same receiver.

I use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008U23F3E/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to hook them up to my TV's optical out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Previa_fun posted:

The sellers of the house we are in talks to buy signed off on our repair addendum to fix almost everything we asked for after the home inspection. :holymoley:
Good for you. The buyers that I had the deal fall apart on last night had a stronger deal on their house today and asked if they could make the same offer again, but accelerating possession all the way to May 12, 2 weeks from tomorrow which is almost a month earlier than they originally asked with the earlier deal. That's a pretty darn fast close for someone that needs financing :stare:

Works for us since we've started to move in to the new house already, I just hope they're able to get their mortgage poo poo lined up in time more for their sake since once they take there conditions off (next week) they are committed.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Went to the local brewery last night for a company party. Got drunk, got ripped on by a coworkers wife who I've interacted with fairly frequently (to be fair, everyone at that end of the table caught some flak from her) and got a hilarious snapchat this morning to the effect of "I don't quite remember last night, but I was told that I owe you an apology. Please don't be angry with me." All told, a good night with much entertainment had by all. :toot:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We've started our wedding planning. She wants a sort of regular wedding so we're looking for a venue where we can get married and go right to the reception. Looking for affordable places and found a few options so far. And it looks like my parents are each going to give us a chunk of money for this so it won't be a massive financial burden. Aiming for 100-150 guests, buffet catering and cheap rear end beer and wine.

I can't even put into words how wonderful I feel when I see how happy this has made her. I wish I'd had my poo poo together years ago.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Previa_fun posted:

I stole my house (like literally had people offering 25k+ over what they were asking while we were just signing my homemade contract where they agreed to fix everything the inspector found). The wife of the seller finally threw a bitch as I was having them fix a leaky when running outside faucet. Sorry not sorry. I got the house 5k under ask and they paid closing (literally was walking by as they were putting for sale by owner sign up told them I would take it ran back to my apartment and gave them my life savings in cash down payment and drew up a homemade contract on notebook paper). I still don't know how it worked out.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh good, and my final tomorrow is at 10, not noon like I thought (the class normally starts at 1230, thought the exam slot would be afternoon)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you think 2 less hours is going to make a difference you were boned a long time ago buddy :v:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Just repeat the mantra:

Tired, but strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Do what I did and tell the missus that you don't care and let them plan it all

It especially worked out for me since we had a double wedding and her identical twin and her mum just love planning things, all I had to do was show up A+ 10/10

• Locked thread