Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Kenshin posted:

Put 3x phase lances on that Harbinger and never look back. With the ship system you can overload many cruisers before they can defend themselves.

This is like the fourth time you've sung the praises of the phase lance, and i really have to ask; are you getting paid by Phase Lances Incorporated or something?

In terms of damage per second per OrdPoint, they're fairly okay, but they combine the worst aspects of strike and beam weapons - both long cycle time, and they only deal soft flux to shields. The Heavy Blaster is only 2 OP more for hard flux, which is a tradeoff i'd make nine times out of ten.

Observe, as a paltry Condor stands me off unto CR death, because soft flux doesn't cause pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Ceebees posted:

This is like the fourth time you've sung the praises of the phase lance, and i really have to ask; are you getting paid by Phase Lances Incorporated or something?

In terms of damage per second per OrdPoint, they're fairly okay, but they combine the worst aspects of strike and beam weapons - both long cycle time, and they only deal soft flux to shields. The Heavy Blaster is only 2 OP more for hard flux, which is a tradeoff i'd make nine times out of ten.
Have you actually tried them though?

Sustained DPS isn't everything: phase lances are huge spikes of damage with perfect aim. Doesn't really matter that they only deal soft flux due to how much they do. You can kill most frigates in a single volley of 3 and the ones that don't die outright are overloaded (with only one or two vanilla exceptions I can think of)

Spike damage is especially good for phase cloaking ships: uncloak, do damage, re-cloak. With the time dilation it gets even better. Combine that with the Harbinger's ship system...

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 28, 2017

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

phase lances are great if you want to kill an overloaded destroyer or make a big hole in a cruiser - or just kill a frigate outright.

but yes, they are terrible at doing the groundwork of dealing with shields.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They were better back when they had emp damage but burst damage beams tend to not have the usual beam problems if you use enough of them.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Gobblecoque posted:

I managed to find a Harbinger (phase destroyer with a cool system that causes a targeted ship to take increased damage) on the black market a while ago and man it and the ion pulsar are just made for each other. I stick one in the central mount alongside a pair of heavy blasters. It's really fun and effective to phase behind an enemy, hit them with an ion pulsar burst to make them flameout, and then tear into them with the blasters.

I tend to take a Phase Lance for anti-armour duties and then double down on weapons with charges. Even Burst PD are quite effective on phase ships when opportunities present themselves, with the 3 or 4 times faster multiplier on charge recharging times while slinking beneath the waves phased out. Slightly lower DPS but amazing piece of mind utility

Unfortunately even anti-fighter missiles can threaten a phase ship, particularly now they can acquire new targets on the fly. Phase ships (that still have CR) tend not to die unless they actively make a positioning mistake but an abundance of ordnance in an area can stifle opportunities. Not dying is no fun if there aren't also opportunities to kill ships. The utility of making a small safe harbour in the battlefield at will generates a lot more reasonable kill opportunities

Stevefin posted:

I picked this up after seeing how much time has passed? how does one get past the salvaging tutorial? I either seem to loose all my crew to accidents, the field is empty, or I wonder about to see if it will tick over, and a fleet yells and kills me about not having a transponder

Are you salvaging the field the script expects? Just in case; check the description of where the field it wants you to salvage is located

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've always been a heavy blaster guy, people like phase lance more?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Heavy blasters are awesome but they fill different roles, they are more sustained damage and like the other dude said, generate hard flux on shields. I like heavy blasters on slower, less agile ships, phase lance on quicker and phase ships.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Phase Lance has longer effective range against small targets and is a bit more flux efficient. It's nowhere near as good against strong shields but it chews up frigates and most destroyers.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

TheWetFish posted:

I've put a quick pic and hurried explanation up on the Wayfarer wiki page. Feel free to criticise my appalling ms paint skills or otherwise constructively comment.
http://starsector.wikia.com/wiki/Wayfarer

In fairness to the discussion, adding some form of snarky line regarding Wolf pilots not considering the Wayfarer a real combat ship might not be remiss

You are doing the Lord's work, thank you.

I have an AI hammerhead with two arbalests and two railguns, should I replace them with anything better?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Need some phase freighters and phase tankers for full on blackops fleets.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I finally found a fully armed and operational AI fortress. I had grown weary like some dragonball character unable to find a good challenge, it kicked my rear end. I'm very excited to power up and come back.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

A phase tanker sounds amazing. I'm imagining a Prometheus painted dark blue and named "YOU CAN'T SEE ME" with the ship's name stencilled on the hull.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Anticheese posted:

A phase tanker sounds amazing. I'm imagining a Prometheus painted dark blue and named "YOU CAN'T SEE ME" with the ship's name stencilled on the hull.

Reminds me of the smuggling industrial ships from Eve online.

It's actually a pretty great idea, some sort of freighter with a much lower sensor signature and phase shifting

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Phase Lances & Heavy Blasters are both pretty good in their distinct niches. I preference Phase Lances if I want to jab a small hole through armour and follow up with pinpoint damage in a short time frame, whereas the Heavy Blaster is simple, self-reliant, brutally sustained damage

Phase Lances have slightly more armour penetration than Heavy Blasters at 625 v 500, respectively and 2 OP cheaper. I haven't specifically checked at which armour levels that distinction becomes meaningful and I probably should :raise:

I like my phase ships being efficient, surgical and multi use but there's also something to be said for putting brutal damage where ever you like

Dodoman posted:

You are doing the Lord's work, thank you.

I have an AI hammerhead with two arbalests and two railguns, should I replace them with anything better?

Hammerheads are exceedingly versatile at what they can do. Arbalests & railguns are cheap & effective at good ranges. If that's what you're after then they're great.

You did mention only two railguns and no missiles though. Maybe check out the Luddic Path variant of the Brawler?
Once a competent engineer has overhauled them they're disproportionate amount of fun in a relatively tiny package, much like the Hammerhead. Defences and flux pool are a lot more limited as it is a frigate hull but that's also frigate deployment costs for the same role, roughly 25% less. A good pick when a destroyer isn't quite necessary but punching above your weight still is
http://starsector.wikia.com/wiki/Brawler

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

dis astranagant posted:

Phase Lance has longer effective range against small targets and is a bit more flux efficient. It's nowhere near as good against strong shields but it chews up frigates and most destroyers.

Heavy Blaster offers more raw power, especially sustained power for ships that can handle it, but the flux cost is absolutely enormous so for most ships it's functionally a strike weapon; they get a few seconds of overwhelming firepower, and then they need to back off again and cool down. The phase lance works similarly, but with a more manageable appetite for flux and better range on small ships where Advanced Optics give a stronger boost than an ITU.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I finally found a fully armed and operational AI fortress. I had grown weary like some dragonball character unable to find a good challenge, it kicked my rear end. I'm very excited to power up and come back.
I'd crushed a damaged station earlier so I wasn't expecting much more but this thing totally wrecked my rear end. I brought an absolutely overwhelming force but didn't deploy half of it at the beginning because I was being a cheapskate on supplies.
Personally lost like 3 capitals myself while the AI sat back at a safe distance and watched me make an rear end of myself.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Phase logistics ships is an excellent idea and you should mod this in immediately. Insanely expensive to operate, presuming they will have a logistics profile consistent with other phase ships

This brings up something else worth discussing. There have been changes across the board on fuel & cargo space. Presumably this is to make some of the less than top of the line combat ships more meaningful & inciting choices. Dedicated logistics ships impose their own costs, with either Civilian Hulls significantly screwing with the fleet sensor profile or notably more expensive maintenance profiles. Taking more logistically minded combat ships can make a huge difference when it results in reduced need for dedicated logistics

These changes feel a lot more impactful in this version with the changes to sensor profile calculation heavily disincentivising larger Civilian Hulls and the general downgrading of fuel storage putting a lot of pressure to be fuel efficient. Cargo storage per light year fuel cost is more meaningful now and potentially brutally so, with a harsh negative feedback loop of fuel storage per light year fuel cost also being non-trivial

Particularly impactful for small fleets is the coarse 1 minimum fuel per light year cost per ship. A fleet of many small ships can have a reasonable supply profile in-system and then quite disproportionate fuel pressures in hyperspace

Phase logistics ships with expensive maintenance are a logical extension to this, much as phase combat ships are an extension of Low-tech & High-tech distinctions. It's a fantastic idea, make it so

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I still wanna see a mod where the ships passively buff each other and work in concert to be greater than the whole. Like having a flux tanker that siphons excess flux from ships with the corresponding hullmod, or an AWACS ship that enhances weapons.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ErKeL posted:

I'd crushed a damaged station earlier so I wasn't expecting much more but this thing totally wrecked my rear end. I brought an absolutely overwhelming force but didn't deploy half of it at the beginning because I was being a cheapskate on supplies.
Personally lost like 3 capitals myself while the AI sat back at a safe distance and watched me make an rear end of myself.

Starsector :allears:

Things like this occurring on a regular basis is an excellent indication of how well designed this game is regarding meaningful choices.

Also the AI clowning the unwary or unprepared :razz:

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Anticheese posted:

I still wanna see a mod where the ships passively buff each other and work in concert to be greater than the whole. Like having a flux tanker that siphons excess flux from ships with the corresponding hullmod, or an AWACS ship that enhances weapons.

It looks like the dev is really on the ball with this idea. You've already got Nav Relay and ECM/ECCM hullmods in 0.8a providing significant fleet bonuses. The befits of a critical mass advantage in those areas incidentally also incentivises mounting those hullmods on logistics ships and having them present in battles, which further feeds into the logistic ship maintenance & fuel per light year mechanics

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ErKeL posted:

Yeah, I just went in and threw everything I had at it, luckily I had more than I could deploy and had backup cruisers and carriers to fill in the gaps once my legions and eagles started to go down. Luckily I was able to salvage and restore everyone, but RIP about 1,000 crew :(

It was a fun and long battle. I was impressed with my own AI for actually orbiting with the station and seemingly knowing which of the 3 sections were most safe to be. The ships that died were ones that went out of formation from the pack. Spent most of the battle popping out with my medusa from behind a capital ship, unloading 4-5 heavy blaster shots, falling back to vent. By the end of it was in critical CR situation but we pulled together and did it.

Wish there was more of a reward. A ton of AI cores, great. Was hoping for some super rare hullmod data or weapons or just, some sort of unique/rare reward. I guess a few million worth of AI cores and enough faction points to make everyone love me is nice.

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
I think the game wants me to become an oil tycoon. I have salvaged a Dram, 3 Phaetons and a Prometheus Tanker. Once I am done exploring the sector I might take up fuel delivery and see where that takes me.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

I just bought the game a few days ago and holy poo poo is it fun, however I keep finding myself in a constant battle with supplies.i never seem to have enough to keep my fleet going after a fight or two. Is there a trick to gathering supplies I'm missing?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

The only real trick to speak of with supplies is always salvage derelicts and disabled ships unless it's one you really want, and only deploy what you need to in fights. Generally, if you can't win a battle without deploying your whole fleet and doing so would break your supply bank, you shouldn't have picked that fight.

There's quite a few skills that can take the edge of off ship maintenance in the industry tree, which can help quite a bit as well.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There may not be ports of fuel dumps wayyy out in uninabited space, but it's full of weak rear end idiot robots who you can beat up and be drowning in fuel and supplies. Systems with gas stations like these have little beacons telling you "come on in to supply and rebuild for free!"

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
Has anyone been using the new feature to set up cargo pods in a stable orbit for anything cool?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

There may not be ports of fuel dumps wayyy out in uninabited space, but it's full of weak rear end idiot robots who you can beat up and be drowning in fuel and supplies. Systems with gas stations like these have little beacons telling you "come on in to supply and rebuild for free!"

When outposts and industry gets implemented I want to restore fuel processing plants in the frontier so I always have a place to restock while spelunking. The new map is quite big but I'm eventually going to run out of places to go and things to do.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Monowhatever posted:

I just bought the game a few days ago and holy poo poo is it fun, however I keep finding myself in a constant battle with supplies.i never seem to have enough to keep my fleet going after a fight or two. Is there a trick to gathering supplies I'm missing?

There are tricks to gathering supplies and there are also tricks to not using supplies as fast.

Choosing which ships are available in the fleet and which ships to deploy for each battle dramatically impacts supply usage. Smaller, lower tech ships tend to have lower maintenance & deployment costs compared to larger, higher tech ships

Ideally you want to deploy the fewest, smallest, lowest tech ships you think you can get away with, without unduly risking significant damage or defeat in detail

Non-damage deployment costs are recovered for free based on the ratio of tonnage fielded and enemy tonnage destroyed. This can be massively significant as it is free, potentially a very large percentage and occurs immediately. Good tonnage usage to tonnage kill ratios are irrelevant if taking significant damage doing so

Many players prioritise acquiring & outfitting at least one ship that can kill disproportionate amount of enemy, with a Lasher or Wolf being quite popular choices. Often fielded solo against early game threats

You can check exact logistics & other stats in the in-game codex (Fleet screen -> click on the question mark button for any ship) or by visiting the ships section of the Starsector Wiki and mousing over the stats panel

Be aware of the common gotcha of recovery time. The listed recovery cost is in supplies per day. If a deployment costs say 20% Combat Readiness but recovers at 10% per day then double the potential recovery cost

Someone should probably helpfully add total deployment costs in supplies to each and every ship. It's probably going to be me :negative:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

You know, I can take or leave pretty much every mod released for this game so far since the base framework is so good and most mods don't really shake things up too much, but I find myself really missing Blackrock right now. None of the ships in the base game really seem to click with me the same way most of the BRDY designs do.

So, yeah, congratulations Fuckfiend, some nerd on the internet likes your pixel space ships more than he likes the vanilla pixel space ships.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
BRDY is the "Zero Hour" to vanilla StarSector's "Generals", the missing "fourth tech level".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What’s the best place to get meatbags now that fighters have made personnel into consumables?

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon posted:

What’s the best place to get meatbags now that fighters have made personnel into consumables?

Large markets ideally with Dissident Population or Large Refugee Population and ideally without Hydroponics Complex, Military Base, Orbital Station or Spaceport.

Perhaps the Sindrian Diktat bases orbiting either Askonia or Salus? Otherwise anywhere super large

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
A big unstated advantage of the phase lance is its near instant and pinpiont accurate deployment. I miss a lot with heavy blasters, which leads to a bad trade in flux and having to back off because I'm losing the flux race. Its a lot easier to hit a fast, nimble enemy with the phase lance.

Soft flux can put pressure, by the way. You just need a way to keep building it, like tactical lasers that build almost none of thier own flux and can force enemy ships to keep their shields raised.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Um, is it just me or can you just Strip the Dmods off a ship? Caught myself an Astral and stripped off broken armor and a damage flight deck.

It's still not 100% but the numbers went up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

VodeAndreas posted:

Um, is it just me or can you just Strip the Dmods off a ship? Caught myself an Astral and stripped off broken armor and a damage flight deck.

This is a bug in the original release of 0.8a.

There’s a hotfix that fixes that bug and several others, like one that makes saves fail to load.

TheWetFish posted:

Large markets ideally with Dissident Population or Large Refugee Population and ideally without Hydroponics Complex, Military Base, Orbital Station or Spaceport.

Perhaps the Sindrian Diktat bases orbiting either Askonia or Salus? Otherwise anywhere super large

I knew about Dissident Population and I was going to look for worlds with it but it doesn’t show up in the intel screen. You have to be physically present at the market to see it.

Sindria in Askonia is the undisputed best market for fuel, Chicomoztoc in Aztlan is the undisputed best market for supplies, and ??? is the best market for crew.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 28, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

VodeAndreas posted:

You can but it costs a fortune and doesn't fully work on the lovely pirate variants. It's great for Luddic Path ships and that rare capital or cruiser of your dreams. Though with the right skills you may well want to leave them on for the deployment cost benefits.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Platystemon posted:

This is a bug in the original release of 0.8a.

There’s a hotfix that fixes that bug and several others, like one that makes saves fail to load.

Ah, I should probably look at getting that then.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Stevefin posted:

I picked this up after seeing how much time has passed? how does one get past the salvaging tutorial? I either seem to loose all my crew to accidents, the field is empty, or I wonder about to see if it will tick over, and a fleet yells and kills me about not having a transponder
you're salvaging that tutorial field only a couple times max, right? cause if you keep doing it you'll get burned by diminishing returns

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

VodeAndreas posted:

Ah, I should probably look at getting that then.

Anyone new to this thread or recently bought the game. Alex is an incredible dev. If you spot a bug either check this thread for a hotfix or report it in the bug reports section of that same forum. Odds are he knows about it and already is fixing it or didn't know and will fix it as soon as you report it.

He doesn't put out major releases very often but does put out hotfixes as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon posted:

I knew about Dissident Population and I was going to look for worlds with it but it doesn’t show up in the intel screen. You have to be physically present at the market to see it.

Sindria in Askonia is the undisputed best market for fuel, Chicomoztoc in Aztlan is the undisputed best market for supplies, and ??? is the best market for crew.

Good point. Unfortunately it appears that the Console Command mod's ForceMarketUpdate is broken right now, so perhaps not super accurate information. From a relatively new game, FindItem Crew gives the price at all markets, with these ones standing out to me;

402 available @ 29 credits each at Ancyra's Open Market (Hegemony, Galatia star system)
189 available @ 35 credits each at Garnir's Open Market (pirates, Corvus star system)
270 available @ 37 credits each at Nova Maxios's Open Market (independent, Magec star system)
720 available @ 38 credits each at Sindria's Open Market (Sindrian Diktat, Askonia star system)