Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Affi posted:

So is enemy upscaling a good thing to have on? How do zones and enemie levels interact?

yes it's good, with a few exceptions

wolves

the Djinn in Yen's quest

plus a few others, if you want a consistent challenge I would recommend it but don't feel bad about switching it off for some encounters, level scaling causes a few fights to be absolute bullshit

Staltran posted:

Yeah I get a real dependent mess vibe from Triss too.

Yeah. Triss is cool but irl I would not date her. Yen is upfront with what would be difficult about being in a relationship with her, Triss seems all too "easy" and like she'd end up being obnoxiously dependent and obsequient. Dislaimer: I'm a gay dude so maybe I am bad at reading the romances but I think not.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

steinrokkan posted:

but who plays Witcher games primarily for combat?

DIfferent people enjoy different things, if the combat is good I imagine a lot of people would play it because of that, among other things. As it is, though, combat is a HUGE part of the game regardless of choice so saying who plays the game for combat is missing the point IMO.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Yen is totally her own person and will operate without Geralt's consent when she thinks it's necessary.

Yen only cares about Ciri, she does nothing not directly related to finding her, her ending is just moving in with Geralt. Triss meanwhile spends her time not helping Geralt working against the inquisition and saving mages, as well as pursuing her own political goals, and if you do the romance it's Geralt who ends up tagging along with her.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I'm not saying that if you enjoyed W3 you should play Dark Souls (but you should, they are amazing in virtually every respect). But *if you enjoyed the combat* in witcher 3, you should play Dark Souls.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Avalerion posted:

Yen only cares about Ciri, she does nothing not directly related to finding her, her ending is just moving in with Geralt. Triss meanwhile spends her time not helping Geralt working against the inquisition and saving mages, as well as pursuing her own political goals, and if you do the romance it's Geralt who ends up tagging along with her.

No see, the romance option I didn't choose is inferior because

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Avalerion posted:

and this is bad because...?

counterpoint: Triss exploited Geralt's amnesia to pretend she was Yen and bone him until he recovered his memories and remembered he was actually with Yen

I think if you played the previous two games or read the books you would perceive Triss as a creepy fangirl stalker, but if your only frame of reference is W3 then yeah it's sort of down to what you prefer in relationships

W3 is good, Yen vs. Triss is a good debate

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

and this is bad because...?

Just find it funny that the independent "her own person" one does nothing not related to your own quest while the clingy codependent one actually has her own plots and goals and is fine with just leaving Geralt unless he makes an effort to convince her to stay.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Her own goals are to help those she loves.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Avalerion posted:

Just find it funny that the independent "her own person" one does nothing not related to your own quest while the clingy codependent one actually has her own plots and goals and is fine with just leaving Geralt unless he makes an effort to convince her to stay.

err... Yen is ruthlessly involved in finding Ciri, so I'm kind of confused as to how you get "does nothing related to Geralt's quest"

if you actually interact with Yen in the leadup to the battle for Kaer Morhen it's super obvious she's her own person and will do whatever is required to find Ciri

you seem to be saying "actually Triss is more independent" which is a mess of an argument

e: the contrast between Triss and Yen in my mind is dependence vs. independence

the Triss romance is very "easy," she fawns all over you
Yen is a total ice queen, she's very much Geralt's soulmate but is her own goddamn woman, she will withhold her plans to help Ciri if necessary, to the point of conducting another Trial of the Grasses for Uma despite every Witcher loathing the very idea

Yen is very much like Geralt. A sarcastic, cynical wanderer who can also be incredibly ruthless when protecting loved ones.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 28, 2017

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
You missed a "not" there, Avalerion is saying that Yen isn't actually independent because everything she does is related to your quest, helping her daughter who is in danger. This, I suppose, is Geralt's quest, not Yen's, because Geralt has a dick? Or maybe he's saying Yen is dependent on Ciri? Idk

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yea, that Yen is only defined by her relationship with Geralt and Ciri, Triss has her own things not related to Geralt going on, and I think that makes her the stronger character of the two.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Staltran posted:

This, I suppose, is Geralt's quest, not Yen's, because Geralt has a dick?
:cripes:

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017
It seems like King Henselt was planned to be in W3 at one point. Although that sounds like a very early placeholder quest. I assume this idea was cut seeing as a lot of people killed Henselt, and it would have been a waste of dev time to make branching paths in such a massive open world. Still, it's interesting that they at least toyed with the save import having a bigger impact. It's a bit broken in the final product.

Here's some E3 weather and monster icons.

Old bits of the HUD: Minimap template, time and monster. ; old map textures.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 28, 2017

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Tbh I was shitposting there, sorry. Probably should have had that sentece in lowercase (or not written it but that's boring). Anyway, I think Yen can be independent from Geralt even if she spends all of her time working with him to help their daughter.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Triss is the one who's constantly been up to weird poo poo with the lodge and Philippa.

I don't think you can say Triss isn't right for Geralt because she's got a personality flaw or whatever, and if Yen didn't exist she probably would be right for him. But alas.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Cowcaster posted:

unless you marry greg the ekimmara

Funk Acquired.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

No Wave posted:

Triss is the one who's constantly been up to weird poo poo with the lodge and Philippa.

I don't think you can say Triss isn't right for Geralt because she's got a personality flaw or whatever, and if Yen didn't exist she probably would be right for him. But alas.

If Yen didn't exist, there'd be no in for Triss outside of, "I want to gently caress." She self-inserted herself into Geralt's life as a Yen surrogate, which is really the only reason he felt anything for her in the first place. Once he remembered that all of his feelings for her were actually for another, significantly more awesome, woman, it was game over for Triss.

She's terrible, and anyone who chooses her over Yennifer is terrible.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

But said feelings were only there because a djinns twisted love spell to begin with. :devil:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Avalerion posted:

But said feelings were only there because a djinns twisted love spell to begin with. :devil:

That a creepy Geralt wished for. So really, Geralt's the bad partner and the third romance ending is the best.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

That a creepy Geralt wished for. So really, Geralt's the bad partner and the third romance ending is the best.

I kindof assumed he made some generic "save us, together" kind of wish and djinn just twisted that into "alright, also you are in love now" to screw with them.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Their fate is tied together or some nonsense, so it isn't so much that they were magicked into falling in love so much as falling in love was a happy byproduct of always running into each other as a result of the wish. That their love isn't dissipated by the removal of the wish makes me think that it wasn't a straight up, "We'll love each other forever and ever" type deal.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It can be, though? My interpretation of that is that yea it was a love spell and yea it's gone, but they could have developed feeling for each other independently of it too.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

It'd be a pretty weak rear end love spell, then, considering they're apart all the time, and railing out other people left and right. If we're going with the "Djinn corrupted Geralt's wish" narrative, it'd make even less sense that they'd both get to have their cake, and get to eat it, too.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
It wasn't a love spell.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Attraction spell then? Like Geralt in the book is not into Yen at all (it's mutuall) then after the wish they suddenly can't keep their hands off each other. And a potential outcome of the wish being undone is Geralts feelings evaporating just as suddenly.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Why the gently caress would he have made that wish if he wasn't into Yen
It's been a while since I read The Last Wish but that's not how I remember it at all.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Saving people is kind of what he does.

Dunno, I do remember him explictly thinking she's not all that hot as part of his inner monologue.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 28, 2017

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Staltran posted:

Why the gently caress would he have made that wish if he wasn't into Yen
It's been a while since I read The Last Wish but that's not how I remember it at all.

I'd try and save my buddy's life if I could, it does not mean I want to bang him.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
But he could have just wished for literally anything else, and the djinn would still have hosed off, right?

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Dunno, I do remember him explictly thinking she's not all that hot as part of his inner monologue.

Yeah, and it's because unlike normies, and thanks to his mutations, he can see all of a sorceresses's imperfections in spite of their magical plastic surgery. In the case of Yennifer, he realized pretty quickly she's a former hunchback.

Staltran posted:

But he could have just wished for literally anything else, and the djinn would still have hosed off, right?

It had to be a wish that would keep her alive, because the Djinn was hellbent on killing her specifically. Tying their fates together means it would have to go out of its way to kill Geralt, as well.

Xeremides fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 28, 2017

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Xeremides posted:

Yeah, and it's because unlike normies, and thanks to his mutations, he can see all of a sorceresses's imperfections in spite of their magical plastic surgery. In the case of Yennifer, he realized pretty quickly she's a former hunchback.

He goes on to search for those "defects" specifically because he's a manchild and he's scared of being attracted to her.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Staltran posted:

Yea, the trick was it would kill Yen, but if he wished to save Yen it would kill him. So he had to word it so to save them both. "Tie our lives together" or the like.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

He goes on to search for those "defects" specifically because he's a manchild and he's scared of being attracted to her.

Or because sorceresses magic themselves to stop being ugly and try to use their newfound beauty to their advantage. By unveiling her and finding a hunchback within, she's lost that power over him. It's also a thing he realizes over the course the story, and didn't diminish his love for her.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So! Can I turn on enemy upscaling. Have all ~current~ enemies scale up. And then turn it off and yknow have the game grudually become easier again..

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Affi posted:

So! Can I turn on enemy upscaling. Have all ~current~ enemies scale up. And then turn it off and yknow have the game grudually become easier again..
It's just a setting you can toggle at any time.

Also, is there any game/reference art anywhere that shows what Yen looked like pre-magicing herself into her current non-hunchy version?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 28, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nope! But it is implied that she is the product of a lonely miserable upbringing and constant mind-blowing sexism.

The short story where Yen is chasing the dragon with all the other dragon hunters is a good lesson in why Yen has to be a hardass all the time.

edit: the lead writer for Witcher 3 confirmed Yennefer had an abusive father

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 28, 2017

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

redbackground posted:

Also, is there any game/reference art anywhere that shows what Yen looked like pre-magicing herself into her current non-hunchy version?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

The short story where Yen is chasing the dragon with all the other dragon hunters is a good lesson in why Yen has to be a hardass all the time.
Hey, that was another Witcher tv episode I liked. PS2 gold dragon at the end was the best thing ever.

:wiggle:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

redbackground posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Also, Triss is not a hardass and look at the course her life takes over the games. She's reduced to hiding in sewers and hiring a crappy ship to smuggle her out of a city where she once had a mansion. Meanwhile Yen is tear-assing around the world doing magic poo poo.