Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The house next door is some sort of boarding house rental and is just slowly crumbling. The gutter fell off in the fall and no one cares. I should post their work sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hmm. Not mine.

http://i.imgur.com/xUM0dTO.mp4

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
That is some A+ showmanship

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://streamable.com/86krk

:staredog:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Is that three bathrooms off of the same room, two of them hidden in closets? :stare:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No, that's three bathrooms off the same room, one of them with a normal entrance, one hidden in a closet, and one hidden behind a mirror, with a closet hiding inside.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bad Munki posted:

No, that's three bathrooms off the same room, one of them with a normal entrance, one hidden in a closet, and one hidden behind a mirror, with a closet hiding inside.

I want to poop in privacy dammit

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I don't actually know, but I suspect it has to do with tax evasion in one way or another, because wtf? Did the home owners forget that they had one two bathrooms linked to that room already? :iiam:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

HardDiskD posted:

I don't actually know, but I suspect it has to do with tax evasion in one way or another, because wtf? Did the home owners forget that they had one two bathrooms linked to that room already? :iiam:
Honestly the most reasonable explanation so far. They hid one behind the mirror, forgot about it, put another one in the closet, accidentally covered the door with clothes, forgot about it, built a third one with just a regular door.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Bad Munki posted:

I approve of any hidden room.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

nm posted:

I want to poop in privacy dammit

This way the assassins will never know which bathroom I'm pooping in! :tinfoil:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I don't know why, but this made me literally laugh out loud. It's probably the showmanship, as Splicer said. Thanks for that.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

You guys think that is a master bedroom for a couple but in reality it is a shared bedroom that can fit about 6 bunkbeds and at least a dozen people. Of course it needs three bathrooms.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Was that central room formerly a couple bedrooms with private baths that got the walls removed in between to make one big bedroom?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 28, 2017

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

A guy on another forum I read is building a house.

holy poo poo windows

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Do you have stairs in your oh I guess you'd have to.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I kind of want to see someone put in windows for their staircase by just putting in normal rectangular windows, just rotated at 45 degrees.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I kind of want to see someone put in windows for their staircase by just putting in normal rectangular windows, just rotated at 45 degrees.

Not staircase, but this is a real thing in Vermont: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_window

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

You know, diamond windows used to be popular for accents, like in doors.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Ghostnuke posted:

holy poo poo windows

Realtalk though, I feel like if I'd designed my own house prior to reading McMansion Hell, I probably would have ended up doing something like this. Because who doesn't like having lots of natural light? Slap those windows in wherever they'll fit! :downs:

Aesthetic disasters aside, at least I have the excuse of living in a mild climate.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

kid sinister posted:

Was that central room formerly a couple bedrooms with private baths that got the walls removed in between to make one big bedroom?

That was my first thought but the room doesn't seem big enough. Maybe there was a narrow hallway in front of the first bathroom and that got absorbed into the bedroom. If the bathroom behind the mirror has another entrance that we don't see, maybe the mirror hatch was added just for someone to access the jacuzzi tub.

You could get away with it in Vermont.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_window efb

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

I'm pretty sure there's staircase windows there, just not rotated.

Besides, you *really* want one enormous 45-degree angle picture window, floor-to-ceiling, to show off your stairthedral.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I'm pretty sure there's staircase windows there, just not rotated.

Besides, you *really* want one enormous 45-degree angle picture window, floor-to-ceiling, to show off your stairthedral.

Right, exactly! In fact, to do this properly you should have a tower with a spiral staircase, with wraparound spiral glass windows.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Right, exactly! In fact, to do this properly you should have a tower with a spiral staircase, with wraparound spiral glass windows.

Wraparound load bearing glass windows.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Cylindrical aquarium glass, lowered into place during construction.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Wraparound load bearing glass windows.

Can we find a way to work electrical current in there also?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Integrate rear window defrosters like from a car in there!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

kid sinister posted:

You know, diamond windows used to be popular for accents, like in doors.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Son of a bitch, I was thinking the same thing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If the central pillar of your spiral staircase was strong enough, it could be the sole load-bearing member and you could then have non-load-bearing circular windows or spiral windows or whatever.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That's one of those freaky Source maps with passages that loop around on themselves in physically impossible ways, isn't it?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

If the central pillar of your spiral staircase was strong enough, it could be the sole load-bearing member and you could then have non-load-bearing circular windows or spiral windows or whatever.

If your walls/windows are hanging from the central pillar instead of holding up the walls/roof, then you still need to transfer the dependent load of the wall beneath the window through the window and back up to that central pillar.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

See this is pure genius. No more getting drunk and accidentally peeing in your walk-in closet

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Neutrino posted:

You guys think that is a master bedroom for a couple but in reality it is a shared bedroom that can fit about 6 bunkbeds and at least a dozen people. Of course it needs three bathrooms.

You’re right. The master bedroom is elsewhere.

https://streamable.com/2evp2

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Ghostnuke posted:

holy poo poo windows

It looks kinda like they picked the windows from a much more modern vision and stuck them on a pretty conventional house. I can imagine that they'd work set against maybe flat roofs and using a striking square-ish design.

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009
That multi-bathroom bedroom is just asking for a SCP to be written about it. It practically writes itself. Hallucinatory area which makes every room appear to be a bathroom until your house looks like nothing but bathrooms.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

SCP-9009: Matryoshka Bathroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

So my ex-neighbor (just moved) is tearing down his outbuilding/garage/shitheap and building what is honestly a pretty nice looking barn-roofed... what the gently caress ever. Anyways, so they're tearing down the old thing, and I walk past in the rain one day and the roof is gone and only one wall is left and there's a breaker panel on it.

"Oh man, I hope they have a new one, that's gonna damage it."

Then I walk past the next day and they built a little roof over it, which is still loving outdoors but sure ok fine. Then 2 days later they needed that piece of unsound wood for something else (did I mention this entire thing is reclaimed/lovely wood) so it was exposed again. When a BIG rainstorm happened they threw a tarp over it. Next day they took the tarp off and went for a picnic and it got rained on while they were gone.

I noticed on that day that there were outlets hanging off this thing and loving tools and worklights plugged in. It was live the entire time. I'm sort of glad I don't live next door to him any more although I'm only like 2 houses down still so hopefully the fire department's quick here.

edit: before you get all charitable and think they were really good about turning the breaker in the house on and off, the work lights were on while it was actively raining