Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

my players posted:

:ohdear: I expected Death to have more hit points than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

You can't leave us hanging like that.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost
They'd been fighting an awful fleshcrafting and hard-to-kill wizard, and Death (who is kind of a mercenary rear end in a top hat in this setting) showed up to offer to take his soul away -- for a price. They've encountered him a number of times, but this was the first time the Bard was there and able to make the roll to identify this old man in the battered top hat and tailcoat as Death.

At which point, the Thief, who is undead and rather bitter about it, leapt out of the shadows to backstab Death.

I'm not sure how he was expecting it to go down. He definitely knew that the knife he was carrying had been forged by another member of the party from magical Etherite, and he definitely knew that said member of the party had been artifically created as a weapon to strike at the gods. I don't think he'd put two and two together about what it would do, though.

Anyway, it turns out that when you have the one weapon that's specifically designed to kill him, and when he doesn't see you coming, Death goes down like a chump. The party have looted his corpse, and are now starting to realise that killing Death probably isn't actually going to make anything any better.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This is where you start taking inspiration from The Santa Clause and start slowly giving him Death's abilities

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alternate horrifying option, now nothing can die, not plants, not bugs, not monsters, nothing. Fruit sits unripe on branch and vine, grass fails to shear under the cow's teeth, animals starve, men starve, the mortally wounded and the sick scream for death's lost release.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

discworld version is probably better to play

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Lord of Hats posted:

Well, our campaign certainly took a turn this last session. For those who haven't been reading along, we've got an Eberron campaign where our party's running up against some nasty Xoriat cultists who are working to turn off the sun, distribute magical drugs everywhere, and also spread a magical plague that turns people to crystal (at first you needed a Cure Disease spell in normal daylight to cure it, now it needs to be in magical daylight *and* normal daylight). I joined the group as Skurrg, the gnoll Warblade, shortly after the other members managed to return from an accidental jaunt to Xoriat itself due to a teleportation mishap.

Recently we secured Lyra Boromar's re-election campaign against cult-connected Dwarven Donald Trump and then used that influence to force her establish a scholarship at Morgrave University for students of monstrous races (because I needed to give my Daask buddies a good reason that I just helped a Boromar win). From there, we investigated one of Not-Trump's "Discount Rehab Clinics", and found that it was a front for harvesting Liquid Pain from junkies. We then murdered the crap out of one of the cult leaders, and start clearing out the rest of the place so that we could safely bring the press in to reveal what was going on. All in all, things were going pretty well!

Anyways, we've just about cleared out the last space, a cave full of crystal-mutated mushroom monstrosities, and were up against the last monster left around, a big nasty plant thing called a Root of All Evil. And then Follow's turn came up. You see, Follow is a psion, and besides his psychic powers, he also has an extremely powerful Rod of Wonder that he uses whenever he's not burning power points. This has been everything from covering himself in bees, to summoning magical healing chili, to granting random people random feats or powers (I've picked up two Warlock invocations this way), to creating a giant tsunami, then the next usage undoing that tsunami, and then almost immediately creating another tsunami. On the whole it's more good than bad, but it's pretty much always weird. So Follow points the Rod at the Root, activates it, and...

quote:

Call a Daelkyr (ECS pg. 278) [[1d10*5]] feet away, then regret your life choices.

After a long moment of collective shock, we decided he was grateful enough for being freed that he wasn't going to immediately kill us, so we finished off the Root and reluctantly talked some stuff over with him. We learned that the whole "sun-extinguishing and crystals" plan was the work of one of his old friends from back in the day (whose nickname that he apparently hates is 'Clippy'). At this point, we are pretty drained of fighting resources, and also level 10, so we figure we have to get in his good graces somehow to not die in short order.

So we offer him all the Liquid Pain we picked up from the cult.

And he accepts.

And he fails his save against addiction.

So now that we've got a drug addicted Daelkyr living in the middle of Sharn, a Pain Pit that we're probably going to have to keep in operation because the alternative is "addict Daelkyr searching for his next fix", and also he's said that he'll keep in touch for when he needs something from us.

:cripes:

We've since taken to naming our group "The Honest Mistakes" because of our penchant for solving immediate problems by starting larger-but-longer-term ones and kicking the can down the road.

The various factions in Sharn that are still friendly to us have been convinced, at least for the moment, to help keep the Daelkyr bottled up while we undertake an expedition to Xendrik to hopefully find something that can stop Daelkyrs, but boy howdy the faction leaders had to roll Will saves as soon as we told them of the news.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Alternate horrifying option, now nothing can die, not plants, not bugs, not monsters, nothing. Fruit sits unripe on branch and vine, grass fails to shear under the cow's teeth, animals starve, men starve, the mortally wounded and the sick scream for death's lost release.

Thanks for giving me ideas for my next campaign.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Then it gets worse. What died just before what you did does not rot. Then iron ceases to rust. Ice stays solid in flames. And the half-lifes of the most radioactive elements are getting noticeably longer.

You didn't just kill death, you killed entropy.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Kavak posted:

Then it gets worse. What died just before what you did does not rot. Then iron ceases to rust. Ice stays solid in flames. And the half-lifes of the most radioactive elements are getting noticeably longer.

You didn't just kill death, you killed entropy.
Well, at that point, the game would remain locked in time, because by killing entropy, no one would be able to move or perceive things, because that requires the breakdown of chemical bonds to release energy...

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lorak posted:

Well, at that point, the game would remain locked in time, because by killing entropy, no one would be able to move or perceive things, because that requires the breakdown of chemical bonds to release energy...

What if the only thing that is breaking down isI entropy, so things are getting more and more in stasis?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
"Somebody killed the fundamental force of Chaos. Fix it before the world goes all "Soul Calibur 4 ending".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Eox posted:

This is where you start taking inspiration from The Santa Clause and start slowly giving him Death's abilities
Dead guy kills Death, becomes Death is pretty drat good fantasy fair. And in the meantime:

Tunicate posted:

discworld version is probably better to play
Ghosts and Undead start popping up everywhere, inanimate objects spontaneously animating etc. Leave this happening for a while, then start feeding in the death powers.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Splicer posted:

Dead guy kills Death, becomes Death is pretty drat good fantasy fair. And in the meantime:
Ghosts and Undead start popping up everywhere, inanimate objects spontaneously animating etc. Leave this happening for a while, then start feeding in the death powers.

Well, there's always reading On A Pale Horse, from the Incarnations of Immortality series for one take on it other than the Saint Pratchett had. You go that route, you had better start working up stats for curries and curry shops...

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
On the flip side, go the Transhumanist route and play it up as a world changing blessing. One of where you can do anything, because you have all the time in the world.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Samizdata posted:

Well, there's always reading On A Pale Horse, from the Incarnations of Immortality series for one take on it other than the Saint Pratchett had. You go that route, you had better start working up stats for curries and curry shops...

I used to say this was the one good book that Piers Anthony ever wrote - then I reread it a couple years ago and I don't say that anymore. Yeesh.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

That's just the thing with Piers Anthony, everything's tainted by his grossness.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Dare I ask?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Pedophilia, and paraphilia in general.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost
My plan is to not overdo the 'you hosed up' aspect. The world is going to go through significant changes but it's largely human nature that will decide whether or not they're positive.

But yes: things will stop dying. You can still be wounded, although with time on its side the body can now recover from pretty much any injury or disease short of actually being dismembered.

Starvation is an issue still, and someone without food doesn't even get the eventual release of death, just perpetual hunger. This isn't helped by the fact that it's now much harder to kill animals for food. (Plants are still okay, thankfully, but the players live in a fishing village...)

As for how they fix it, I'm going to leave that down to them, but a key ingredient will be finding someone to take over the role. Which raises some interesting questions about who you can trust with that sort of power.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

Pedophilia, and paraphilia in general.

More elaborately, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560541

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I used to say this was the one good book that Piers Anthony ever wrote - then I reread it a couple years ago and I don't say that anymore. Yeesh.

Yeah, well, AFAIK, he's the only other author to really deal with the passing of Death's mantle to someone else. I thought it might provide some idea fodder to a referee wanting to run a similar campaign.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Whybird posted:

This isn't helped by the fact that it's now much harder to kill animals for food. (Plants are still okay, thankfully, but the players live in a fishing village...)

Under this scenario, how the heck do you handle the 'you have been carven up in to slabs of meat and roasted whilst still living and then devoured' situation?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Under this scenario, how the heck do you handle the 'you have been carven up in to slabs of meat and roasted whilst still living and then devoured' situation?
"...you wake up the next morning in a cold sweat..."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Well at that point, you weren't killed. Your body was destroyed, and now your soul wanders without a physical anchor since you never actually died. Enjoy your character hook. Or your new insanity from surviving the whole being carved alive thing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

the_steve posted:

Well at that point, you weren't killed. Your body was destroyed, and now your soul wanders without a physical anchor since you never actually died. Enjoy your character hook. Or your new insanity from surviving the whole being carved alive thing.
I'd go with the first one. Crazy poop monster sounds good on paper but...

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Splicer posted:

Well, I meant that you'd be a crazy ghost.

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012
Well, my Exalted group didn't use the barbeque plan. (Just went with a combo charcoal pill/surgery method.) But the circle now has its own micronation (consisting of a dam the rear end in a top hat who caused the plague was building and whoever was around it at the time) with a 1,000 man army and my character is now one of Creation's best doctors, if not the best. So we got that going for us. But now the section of the Hundred Kingdoms we're in is being overrun with demons and a dragon-blooded higher-up in Lookshy doesn't like the fact that we're around. We decided to take our kingdom and push it somewhere else.

Also, there's a yozi involved now. This is pretty much how the campaign's gone so far: one step forward, two steps back. Still fun though.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Just did my first session of my new group (second time GMing a campaign, and first time GMing a in-person group). The setting is basically 13th age meets Nausicaa: Valley of the wind. All of the dragons are dead. Spores have sprouted in the Wildwood and it has grown, engulfing the Wild woods (becoming known as the bloodwild or the Miasma) and much of the south of the contient. Also giant bug creatures there live there that don't like being disturbed.

The party is a female cleric Twyzog (Fungalod/Mushroomkin), A female dragonkin Sorcerer and a female Pixie Bard. They were sent to deliver a dragonscale to a tower owned by a faction called the "scalekeepers" (who the dragonkin is allied with) in exchange for promise of payment, including a magical weapon. They hope to use these scales to push back or even clear the Miasma.

The party make their way, and are ambushed by some incompetent at hiding Goblins. *russle* "Marv, quit shovin'" (Yeah, I did the accent too, I couldn't resist the Adventure Zone reference, since at least one I knew listened to it).

The pixie starts singing and charges two of the mook goblins and one-hit kills them both (10 damage on two 5 HP mooks)!.

Everyone misses a lot. The Sorcer offers a truce, but the two remaining other Goblins are egged on by the Shaman. The goblin shaman runs backwards missing with attacks and the pixie chasing, also missing a lot. The pixie kills the shaman, dancing in his raining body parts

:eyepop: Twyzog Cleric: "I'm glad we're not there to see that."

They finally win, the last injured goblin surrenders. They arrive at the tower, delivering the item and the leader is surprised to hear of raiders. She has her underling scry things out and finds there's more at a ruins nearby, but there are also traps set by her group to kill them. A person has to just go and say the magic words.They outfit the party with some armor (the Fungaloid takes a shield as a new hat, the Dragonkin got a sword, and the pixie passed on the weapons in the armory and takes a "sewing needle" which happens to be a pixie magic weapon)

And so the party sets off.

Meanwhile, someone who's going around as an emissary of the Toadstool princess (a new icon, and not necessarily a nice person) is rumored to be the party Twyzog, which should cause problems later. (I still need to figure out exactly how)

Also, the sword the dragonkin got is one that detects dragon scales but has a sort of hoarding compulsion, and has pushed the party waylaid to get a scale nearby (which I think is going to be just narrated as, the next battle is a little tougher since they had more time to prepare/gather).

Next session should be interesting!

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 30, 2017

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Splicer posted:

It sounds good on the internet too.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Finally got to get some gaming of my own in: Monthly VtM larp.
I joined in on this game back in December, but, my work schedule had it where I was usually out of town when the game was on, so, tonight was my first taste of actual plot.

My Gangrel was brought along with a Brujah and a Tremere to act as backup for a Ventrue who had worked out a weapons sale to Anarchs in a neighboring territory.
They're facing Sabbat incursions, and the Anarchs are "our meat shield buffer zone", so, while the Camarilla is obviously too good to involve themselves directly, they aren't above making some money through some arms shipments.

The plan was that the Ventrue would deliver half of the weapons in person, and once satisfied that we weren't walking into an ambush of some sort, reveal the location of the other half of the guns as we were leaving.
We are informed by the Anarch spokesperson that the truck stop where the car with the remaining guns awaited was in an area the Sabbat had managed to take control of recently.

Arriving at the truck stop, we notice a few (presumably) Sabbats hanging around outside, with several trucks parked haphazardly through the lot.
As the Ventrue parks his vehicle, we take a moment to make a few preparations for what we figure is an inevitable fight - The Brujah pops Celerity, the Tremere adds the Flame damage quality to his katana, and I use Beckon Animal to call forth a swarm, but keep them on standby to act as a future distraction if need be.

Me: "Ok, I have the Focus for Beckon, so I can summon a swarm."
ST: "Of..."
Me: *thinking bats but can't quite spit the word out* "Bees...let's go with bees."
ST: "Sure, you can destroy an entire colony by loving up their sleep cycle and having them swarm in the middle of the night."
Me: "It's the perfect plan, no one will suspect the Night Bees!"

The Sabbat are surprisingly civil and polite, offering to "buy out" whatever agreement we had with the Anarchs and walk away, leaving the spokesperson to them. We politely decline as the Anarch pops Presence/Majesty and starts advancing on the group, prompting one to attack our Ventrue (earning a hole in his chest from whatever oversized handgun the Ventrue keeps as a sidearm), and more or less being the signal for us to fight.

Me: "So, I assume we can be violent now?"
Ventrue: "Yep."
Me: "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!"

And so my swarm of bees descends into the melee and we make short work of the group, largely in part because the ST "did not want to adjudicate a fight scene with thousands of bees."

The Anarch goes to the car with the weapons while the rest of us go inside to deal with any security footage. Also, the inside of the stop is a literal bloodbath, since, y'know, the Sabbat happened.
As we're collecting the security tapes, we notice on one of the screens as the Anarch gets into the car, starts it up, and the car loving explodes, setting off a chain reaction with the nearby trucks and fuel pumps, and we decide to make ourselves scarce.

Later on, thanks to inspiration that struck during a conversation in which someone joked that I would have to take up beekeeping to replace the ones I killed (since they're already going extinct), I've decided that I am going to do exactly that.
Ghoul Bees.
Not sure if it's doable or feasible, but, it's something to burn Downtime actions on.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

All I can say is there had better be rules for using less than a whole unit of blood to ghoul smaller creatures, because otherwise you're going to have some really big bees.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I am still disappointed that the LARP STs didn't let my namesake Nosferatu ghoul a cat and teach it to Obfuscate.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bieeardo posted:

I am still disappointed that the LARP STs didn't let my namesake Nosferatu ghoul a cat and teach it to Obfuscate.

If their reasoning wasn't "cats already know how to Obfuscate" they're bad STs. :colbert:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I would have accepted that, but they were more concerned about Gangrel niche protection and not having a big, gnarly Cheshire cat creeping around the Elysium.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

the_steve posted:

Later on, thanks to inspiration that struck during a conversation in which someone joked that I would have to take up beekeeping to replace the ones I killed (since they're already going extinct), I've decided that I am going to do exactly that.
Ghoul Bees.
Not sure if it's doable or feasible, but, it's something to burn Downtime actions on.
I just want to note that in VtR there are not one but two devotions based around letting a hive of bees live in your body, as well as a bee-based bloodline. I'm sure you can find some way to use this information.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kwyndig posted:

All I can say is there had better be rules for using less than a whole unit of blood to ghoul smaller creatures, because otherwise you're going to have some really big bees.

I fail to see the downside here. There is absolutely zero way that a hive of giant monstrous vampire bees could end poorly.

Yawgmoth posted:

I just want to note that in VtR there are not one but two devotions based around letting a hive of bees live in your body, as well as a bee-based bloodline. I'm sure you can find some way to use this information.

Say whaaaaat?
I have the VtR book, well, the tabletop one at least, I'm not sure how many nWoD books there are. Do you know offhand what page this is in? Because yeah, I'm not the most clever screwdriver in the crayon box, but, I do like to be unpredictable.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

the_steve posted:

I fail to see the downside here. There is absolutely zero way that a hive of giant monstrous vampire bees could end poorly.

WoD / Shadowrun crossover event when?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

the_steve posted:

Say whaaaaat?
I have the VtR book, well, the tabletop one at least, I'm not sure how many nWoD books there are. Do you know offhand what page this is in? Because yeah, I'm not the most clever screwdriver in the crayon box, but, I do like to be unpredictable.
The bloodline (Melissidae) is in Bloodlines: the Legendary p103, their devotions start on p112, the devotion of theirs that makes you into a hornet's nest is called Honeycomb Heart. The other devotion is called Body Hive, it's in Danse Macabre p207. In all honesty, Body Hive sounds more like what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yawgmoth posted:

The bloodline (Melissidae) is in Bloodlines: the Legendary p103, their devotions start on p112, the devotion of theirs that makes you into a hornet's nest is called Honeycomb Heart. The other devotion is called Body Hive, it's in Danse Macabre p207. In all honesty, Body Hive sounds more like what you want.

I was actually joking about finding a Tzimisce and convincing it to install a hive somewhere, but I was afraid I'd be all crunchy and bee-squishing when I tried to do stuff. Plus, the literally impossible odds of finding one that wasn't trying to kill me.

Lol, I'm gonna have to do some reading up on this. I don't think I have a snowball's chance in hell of it working, but, I've always wanted to try to break an ST.