Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't deny that I do own some Samsung products.

That said, Samsung really is a garbage company that can engineer some pretty nice components and then proceed to put them together in ways that no one asked for saddled with software that has features no one asked for with just a dash of WTF self sabotaging flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Dogen posted:

HDR + game mode is the big annoyance, it doesn't hold separate settings for that and other HDR sources, which is annoying if you have everything running through one tv input (if you have an AVR for instance).

Ah yeah I'm plugged right in, makes sense why people would be bothered.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
This TV is pretty great.

Only thing that sucks is that I can't get my audio lag figured out going from the One Connect Box to send the optical audio out to my Denon AVR. And, that isn't always sending the right audio signal. So I'm gonna have to hook my Xbox and PS4 into the AVR first and send that to the One Connect box.

Which also means that I'm probably gonna end up watching most of my movies from Game Mode via Plex in my PS4. Cause it's annoying manually switching settings. The Plex app on the TV is giving me weird audio lag I can't figure out.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Plex app on the TV is probably poo poo that is never updated. I never had good luck with TV apps, which is why I got a Roku.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

GreenNight posted:

The Plex app on the TV is probably poo poo that is never updated. I never had good luck with TV apps, which is why I got a Roku.

It works fantastic on my other Samsung in my living room. But, that uses the TV speakers. There's no lag with either TV using the TV speakers. But, I gotta have my surround sound setuppppp in the living room

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ah weird, yeah. I have a surround setup too, but I don't use any TV apps on my Vizio. Everything goes to my receiver, which goes to my TV.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I've had issues with one Samsung TV (UN60F7100. 2013 model, 3D tv) where if something tried to run at 24p that wasn't a PS3/PS4 acting as blu-ray player it would be way out of sync. Didn't have much else to test with it other than those two consoles and the thing that was having problems. This was on the tv speakers too and not using a soundbar/receiver/whatever which was really weird.

I never could get it to play right with that thing which was kind of a drag even if I don't use it anymore (Briteview CinemaTube some sort of WDTV knockoff from like 7 or 8 years ago)

edit: It's not an app on the TV though it was something plugged into an hdmi cable on the TV instead and the TV just getting confused and loving up sound at 24p

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Back to using Alexa for the stuff with my Harmony Hub.

Only thing that sucks is both my Xbox's and TV's turn on at the same time now....so, I've got this ridiculous setup in my living room now where I've got my new KS8000 and I sold my old Samsung 65" plasma to my roommate...so we decided to mount it on the other wall in the living room..and just so happen to have another Xbox One from his old relationship turned bad. So, now we've got ridiculous system link/football watching.

I can't have conventional anything.

https://streamable.com/jee91

I haven't organized cables yet, that was just proof of concept, lolz. Yes, I'm single.

89 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 22, 2017

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

89 posted:

This TV is pretty great.

Only thing that sucks is that I can't get my audio lag figured out going from the One Connect Box to send the optical audio out to my Denon AVR. And, that isn't always sending the right audio signal. So I'm gonna have to hook my Xbox and PS4 into the AVR first and send that to the One Connect box.

Which also means that I'm probably gonna end up watching most of my movies from Game Mode via Plex in my PS4. Cause it's annoying manually switching settings. The Plex app on the TV is giving me weird audio lag I can't figure out.

One problem I had with audio lag with a ks8000, denon x1300, Xbox one and Apple TV had to do with Dolby digital audio output from the sources. Like there was probably 200 ms of lag in the audio, and of course all the available compensation just delayed audio MORE, because the expectation was that the video lagged the audio due to video processing. It's been months since I fixed it or googled it but you may want to try turning off doubly on the sources to see if that helps troubleshooting.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The Plex app lags terribly with DTS in an mkv container; which a lot of blu ray rips are. I've just fixed it by forcing it to transcode.

Also honestly the apps work well enough to get by but eventually I got mad and bought a roku ultra and am a lot happier.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
TV wont keep separate settings for HDR content. I just want the Dynamic Contrast on High for HDR and off otherwise

Also, I'll be glad when the Xbox Scorpio is here. Cause it's not even funny how much better my PS4 Pro looks over my Xbox One S

89 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 23, 2017

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
If ya need somethin to do this Sat night you ks8000 havers who also may be annoyed at no full Vudu support, you can rent Passengers in the Amazon app in 4k HDR for $8 and it looks really good. The movie itself was like a 6/10 for me but visually I was impressed so like script and poo poo whatevvvsss

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Just bought a KS7000 (49'').

I really wanted to get a KS8000 and be cool like everyone else but I've seen the models side by side showing the UHD release of Sully, Uncharted 4 from a PS4 pro and parts of a football match. I'm sorry, maybe I'm blind but there's absolutely no loving difference between the two. Maybe a minuscule, barely noticeable improvement (huhhhhh, less motion blur? I'm trying here) while playing on an 8000 but that's it. Oh and the back. 8000's back looks much better.

In Europe the KS8000 is about 500 euros more expensive which, again, is baffling as gently caress.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Your European KS7000 is actually also the US KS8000.The European KS8000 is the US KS9000 which most people agree is not worth the money.

This explains why you like it so much.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Kawabata posted:

Just bought a KS7000 (49'').

I really wanted to get a KS8000 and be cool like everyone else but I've seen the models side by side showing the UHD release of Sully, Uncharted 4 from a PS4 pro and parts of a football match. I'm sorry, maybe I'm blind but there's absolutely no loving difference between the two. Maybe a minuscule, barely noticeable improvement (huhhhhh, less motion blur? I'm trying here) while playing on an 8000 but that's it. Oh and the back. 8000's back looks much better.

In Europe the KS8000 is about 500 euros more expensive which, again, is baffling as gently caress.

Welcome to the cool club.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

1997 posted:

Your European KS7000 is actually also the US KS8000.The European KS8000 is the US KS9000 which most people agree is not worth the money.

This explains why you like it so much.

Oh god so I actually bought a KS8000? I'm so happy, I feel cool again. Yes this TV is amazing for the price.

However can we all agree that the back looks like cheap plastic crap? And I'm hearing that it tends to separate itself from the screen after prolonged use, which I hope doesn't happen because it would suck to have to tape your 4ktv together.

"Oh hey I just bought this thing that doesn't have content for it at all other than some PS4 games and the back comes off. Let's watch a Bluray and sunburn it with HDR+ to justify my purchase."

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I'm in the UK, so is this is the TV I should be considering for TV/movies/games at 55 inch?

I'll not be buying til near the end of the year at the earliest, so is there another generation coming I could wait out for? That TV is £1599, which is kinda where my budget tops out.

Also, there seems to be fairly little 4K content, much less HDR. I have Amazon Prime and Netflix, both of which have some of their own stuff in 4K but is there anywhere else that serves up 4K and HDR content? I'm not willing to get Sky or anything like that but I could consider streaming services.

I'll be getting an Xbox Scorpio when it comes out. At the moment I've got a regular old Xbox One. Might get a PS4 Pro at some stage too.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I can't believe I have to say this about a TV, but my Sony x930d just got Marshmallow. So if anyone else was waiting on that update, there it is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My 810D has had it for awhile, though I had to manually update.

It's made Tuner.APK or whatever crash a lot, which is annoying.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
Went to Best Buy ready to swallow my pride and buy a Vizio 55 E series for $499 pre tax, left with an open box 55" KS8000 for $740 after tax including a 2 year warranty. Think I did alright today. TV looks drat pretty.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think I've finally settled on the Sony 49X900E, the only real problem is that I'll need a new receiver, my current one is so old it doesn't even support ARC and I'll want a PS4 Pro. It's just kind of silly since I'm actually considering going back to 2.1 when I next buy speakers so I don't give a crap about Atmos, etc.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

qirex posted:

I think I've finally settled on the Sony 49X900E, the only real problem is that I'll need a new receiver, my current one is so old it doesn't even support ARC and I'll want a PS4 Pro. It's just kind of silly since I'm actually considering going back to 2.1 when I next buy speakers so I don't give a crap about Atmos, etc.

Frys has regularly been doing this one at $799

http://www.frys.com/product/8971763

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Denon's remote controls are garbage and since I have CEC working on everything I'd rather not bother with budgeting another $150 for a Harmony. Anyway I'll annoy the home audio thread about that when it comes to it.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Don Lapre posted:

Frys has regularly been doing this one at $799

http://www.frys.com/product/8971763

Is there any particular reason he should buy a receiver almost the same cost of his TV when he only wants 2.1 and ARC?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2017/04/28/vizio-m-series/

Oh man...

quote:

When compared to Samsung's Q7 QLED TV, one of its flagship models for this year, black levels on the 65-inch Vizio set were significantly better. You can thank the local dimming backlight for that. Samsung's TV, on the other hand, features an edge-lit backlight that disrupts black levels with light gray streaks. It was particularly apparent in a clip from Batman vs. Superman, where very bright on-screen elements caused the backlight to wash out everything around them. Beyond the black levels, colors and brightness on Vizio's set looked about as good as the Q7. That's impressive, given that the M-series 65-inch model goes for $1,500, while the Samsung set costs $4,000.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 28, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The new Vizios don't have HDMI 1.2, correct?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Huh? 1.2 is an ancient spec.

They have to have HDMI 2.0 in order to accept HCDP 4K content.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I want a big rear end (70"+) 4k at least 120hz tv. Not really in a big rush, I'd settled on Vizio as what I'm going for when I buy. Just saw the Sharp LC75N8000 at Costco for 2499 (Canada), I'll pay double that for the P series Vizio. What's the consensus? The motion is a big deal to me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sharp is just a Hisense rebrand now. So, in other words, buy the Hisense version instead and save money if you want to roll the dice on quality.

I would go Vizio personally.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Huh? 1.2 is an ancient spec.

They have to have HDMI 2.0 in order to accept HCDP 4K content.

poo poo. I meant 2.1

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I can't believe a $4000 TV doesn't have local dimming. Is it an obsession with thinness issue?

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

GreenNight posted:

poo poo. I meant 2.1

As far as I know, there aren't any HDMI 2.1 devices on the market as of yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

GreenNight posted:

poo poo. I meant 2.1

Nothing has 2.1 to my knowledge and nothing is on the horizon. 2.1 isn't something that's meaningful when talking about TVs honestly. PC gamers are just looking to it as a way to get cheaper big gaming displays. But HDMI 2.1 really does nothing for home theater so don't expect a rush to implement it.

The spec isn't even finalized yet.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GreenNight posted:

poo poo. I meant 2.1

I don't believe any production hardware supports HDMI 2.1 at the moment. It's a huge change from previous versions so it's much less likely that any existing hardware will be able to be firmware updated to support it than previous revisions. All the previous revisions have been basically clock speed bumps to increase bandwidth and specifying metadata for new stream formats, where 2.1 completely changes the mode of operation.

I have a hunch that HDMI 2.1 adaptive refresh is related to Freesync-over-HDMI, so I won't be shocked if it turns out that modern AMD hardware can be updated to support it. I believe nVidia has a G-Sync over HDMI solution as well, so if it operates similarly the same may apply but at this point we're deep in to assumption land.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Thanks for the replies, education is good.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dogen posted:

I can't believe a $4000 TV doesn't have local dimming. Is it an obsession with thinness issue?

I've got a wall of 8 Samsung KS9000 sitting in front of me right now, and I strongly prefer the image quality of the half-the-price Vizio M I have at home. Samsung's backlighting situation is way worse. These are edge-lit.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

GreenNight posted:

Thanks for the replies, education is good.
2.1 isn't even out yet, if I remember correctly.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Twerk from Home posted:

I've got a wall of 8 Samsung KS9000 sitting in front of me right now, and I strongly prefer the image quality of the half-the-price Vizio M I have at home. Samsung's backlighting situation is way worse. These are edge-lit.

Does the edge-lighting even try to do local dimming? I know Sony TVs try to match up but don't really close the gap.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

They're different. I mean edge lit does the best it can but you can't beat LEDs right where lighting actually needs to be coming from.

It's cost to some extent, but I think more of a form factor issue (edge lit can be thinner).

Also it's going to be a moot point when all our TVs our OLED eventually I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
lol if you're spending >$1500 on a TV in 2017 and it's not OLED.