Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

GonSmithe posted:

Ok enough spoiler talk, let's talk about uh.... Cars 3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LeOH9AGJQM

I get the joke you were making, racing cars have spoilers. Clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

ommega posted:

I have always wondered what it would feel like watching "Empire Strikes Back" without knowing the reveal, or even Terminator 2 after watching the first and not having seen any trailers. Just feels like you would get an extra level of enjoyment.

Watched T2 last year with a woman who didn't know the twist at all during a marathon we did of the first 3 - she had seen 1 tons of times weirdly enough. She started asking questions during the biker scene and gasped when he pulled the rose box out.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Ok enough spoiler talk, let's talk about uh.... Cars 3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LeOH9AGJQM

For an animated movie that's got some real pretty shots.
The lighting looks so good.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ommega posted:

I have always wondered what it would feel like watching "Empire Strikes Back" without knowing the reveal, or even Terminator 2 after watching the first and not having seen any trailers. Just feels like you would get an extra level of enjoyment.

There's a whole bunch of youtube videos of people watching ESB for the first time and getting shocked at the reveal, it's pretty :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSuuqNnbHZw

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

kiimo posted:

my personal belief is that if spoiling ruins the movie for you then that movie wasn't good enough to begin with.

Pretty much. The only two movies I actually have kept from being spoiled on were Cabin in the Woods and Unbreakable. Looking back, having Unbreakable spoiled wouldn't have hurt anything.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vegetable posted:

I have a friend who reads entire plot summaries on Wikipedia before watching movies. Says that's the only way to know whether she'll like it.
At that point why the gently caress are you even paying the $10 or whatever? There's no mystery left!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Pretty much. The only two movies I actually have kept from being spoiled on were Cabin in the Woods and Unbreakable. Looking back, having Unbreakable spoiled wouldn't have hurt anything.

I think "spoiling the experience" and "spoiling the movie" are two pretty different things. If it's a good movie, it probably won't ruin the movie... but it can definitely ruin or dilute the experience no matter how good a movie is.

Writers, directors, cinematographers put a lot of effort into how they tell you the story. They keep things from you, choose when to reveal things to you, choose when to scare you, when to surprise you... so to sidestep that and get those moments fed to you in the unintended order can definitely alter the experience.

You can only be surprised the first time so I try to keep that first time as fresh as possible. But I mean I don't get super mad or anything when a movie gets spoiled.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vegetable posted:

I have a friend who reads entire plot summaries on Wikipedia before watching movies. Says that's the only way to know whether she'll like it.

I go out of my way to avoid being friends with people like that. What a way to loving live.

No, don't read the book, just read the Sparknotes.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm generally on the side of "spoilering ruins the show" side of things. The loving opening credit design for Cabin in the Woods was way too on the nose and spoilered the twist for me, I was PISSED for about 5 minutes. Then when the main title card came up I 100% bought back into the movie and ended up loving every minute of it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I got Cabin in the Woods spoiled by an over-exited idiot on here (Gonz, I'm looking in your direction), not that I'm bitter about it. Luckily, he only spoiled an unexpected appearance by a certain someone late in the film.

I do think kiimo has a point with his statement though - there are movies that are probably better-known for the big reveal at the end ("Oh no, I was wrong! It was Earth all along!" for example), that still easily hold up because they're that loving good. A movie with a big reveal at the end should be able to hold up to repeat viewings, even if that means it changes the dynamic of the previous scenes like looking for clues that foreshadow the revelation at the end of The Sixth Sense on a second viewing, like how no one other than the kid interacts with, or even notices Bruce Willis at any point once he gets shot by a New Kid

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 28, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Vagabundo posted:

I got Cabin in the Woods spoiled by an over-exited idiot on here (Gonz, I'm looking in your direction), not that I'm bitter about it. Luckily, he only spoiled an unexpected appearance by a certain someone late in the film.

Yeah, i'm sorry about that. I'm very strict with spoiler tags since then.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

And CITW spoiled itself, not that the trailer didn't already give everything away including the big surprise moment two thirds of the way through.

The real benchmark for movies loving themselves up the rear end is still Dark City, though. I don't know what idiot at the studio insisted on tacking on an opening scene explaining the twist and the plot, but he should be hanged by the balls. If you haven't seen that movie and want to, get the Directors Cut because the only truly significant change is to remove the opening narration.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
& Bungopop49 do NOT think I have forgotten the RASH wording in your Cube ²:Hypercube op

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

& Bungopop49 do NOT think I have forgotten the RASH wording in your Cube ²:Hypercube op

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Jedit posted:

And CITW spoiled itself, not that the trailer didn't already give everything away including the big surprise moment two thirds of the way through.

The real benchmark for movies loving themselves up the rear end is still Dark City, though. I don't know what idiot at the studio insisted on tacking on an opening scene explaining the twist and the plot, but he should be hanged by the balls. If you haven't seen that movie and want to, get the Directors Cut because the only truly significant change is to remove the opening narration.

Really? I loved Dark City in the theater. I saw the Director's Cut with a friend later and asked what he thought of the twist, and he just kind of shrugged and went on ranting about how good the performances were (which they are, especially Kiefer Sutherland's).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol: at being confused or wondering why people don't like spoilers. Jesus christ.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I'm an old goon who saw both The Empire Strikes Back and T2 in the theatre, super happy that they were not spoiled for me. We'd heard rumours about T2 but it was just that, a rumour. Probably helped that I saw it on opening night.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: at being confused or wondering why people don't like spoilers. Jesus christ.

This is probably the most autistic discussion I've ever seen.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ommega posted:

I have always wondered what it would feel like watching "Empire Strikes Back" without knowing the reveal

isn't this how most people watched it? first time i saw it was on vhs in 1990 and had no idea about the reveal. i was 5 so i didn't even know what star wars was.

i don't know how anyone bought that "spoilers make you enjoy it more" bullshit, it doesn't stand up to basic common sense.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 28, 2017

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
Isn't it kinda like watching an action movie from the 80s. You always knew the bad guy dies but still enjoyed the journey there.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

JuHoZ posted:

Isn't it kinda like watching an action movie from the 80s. You always knew the bad guy dies but still enjoyed the journey there.

I would have been furious if someone had spoiled me that Matrix didn't kill Sully last in Commando :colbert:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JuHoZ posted:

i had figured out pretty much every major story beat in force awakens (apart from solo being killed) and it didn't make it any less enjoyable. i probably wouldve been pissed if i had seen fyad before going to see it tho.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking of spoilers, the new Colossal trailer spoils something big from early in the movie.

https://twitter.com/SheIsCOLOSSAL/status/857275730136363008

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of spoilers, the new Colossal trailer spoils something big from early in the movie.

https://twitter.com/SheIsCOLOSSAL/status/857275730136363008

Oh drat that's lovely.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am seeing that tomorrow actually so whelp - cya.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

My local paper spoiled it in the headline of their review. :laffo: loving dolts.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

At that point why the gently caress are you even paying the $10 or whatever? There's no mystery left!

you know "mystery" isn't the only reason people go see movies, right? If I see something I'm obviously going to like I may or may not spoil myself depending on how much I think that would change things, but I'll read plot synopses/summaries before watching movies. Because a movie is more than just it's story.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

you know "mystery" isn't the only reason people go see movies, right? If I see something I'm obviously going to like I may or may not spoil myself depending on how much I think that would change things, but I'll read plot synopses/summaries before watching movies. Because a movie is more than just it's story.

Mystery as a feeling is very closely related to novelty as a feeling, which is the primary reason I like watching movies.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Interesting. I do not share that belief, sir.

But he's right.

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/spoiler-alert-spoilers-make-you-enjoy-stories-more

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

And my counter argument is NO.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

we already went over that thing being full of poo poo.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
edit: Actually just gonna edit this out. It's just a matter of opinion and this will go nowhere!

This is more of a teaser than a trailer, but looks good.

Ingrid Goes West

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqBG-J1t3_Y

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 29, 2017

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBmBcASLdK8
ah geez thats a rough situation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42KNwQ6u42U
ah geez thats a rough life situation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sTRRUZr6Z0
ah geez

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f_tMltpDTg

je suis hans solo bitchez

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

as bows1 said, these are interesting imo

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Extraordinarily bad trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18ZN_lZvL7A

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Yet I'm still interested in the film (it probably has a lot to do with the topic)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

If you actually look into this report the methodology they used sucks.

It's also really dumb to tell people "you actually don't know what you're feeling, science says you're loving it"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'll never understand how that gained traction. it makes no loving sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'll never understand how that gained traction. it makes no loving sense.

Because it supports their biases. Like phrenology.

If you actually read the article and look at the experimental methodology it's very flawed. You've have to be very myopic to think it "proves" anything.

• Locked thread