Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNj9RHPRMTk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo3fT0xPeHs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLssz8zxWVg

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Riptor posted:

This was in the related videos and is even better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI6-p50HT2Y

~It's like poetry~

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Would Lisa Simpson be old enough to run for president yet going by her age when this show started?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Andorra posted:

Would Lisa Simpson be old enough to run for president yet going by her age when this show started?

Yeah, the kids will all be in their late 30's-early 40's by the time Lisa is able to run against/after Trump.

Homer would have finally succumbed to heart disease. Marge's weird giant blue hair perm would make way more sense when now she qualifies for Social Security and Medicare.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

this is a roller coaster of emotion

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I look forward to the Simpsons in 2029 when they do their 'Homer and Marge as young adults" episode and they reimaging them as teens/early 20s of the 2010-2019 era.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Andorra posted:

Lisa is 36 this year if you're going by the show or 38 if you're going by the original shorts.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
holy moly the fried chicken

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Has anyone brought up when Homer got raped by that panda?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

WampaLord posted:

Has anyone brought up when Homer got raped by that panda?

We've discussed not only that, but also that Homer has been raped at least 3 times or possibly more by now.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Scudworth posted:

We've discussed not only that, but also that Homer has been raped at least 3 times or possibly more by now.

Yea I'm reading through the thread now and I see it indeed got brought up.

What a shame, but at least we got a few great years.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, I'm the guy that has seen every episode as they've aired instead of back to back streamed and I say...

Ahhhhh, Nevermind. No one cares what Old Gil has to say...

JK, it was the Skinner episode where we find out that he isn't actually the real Skinner. I don't know if it was the lowest point, but it was one of the worst written episodes. I listened to Mike Reiss speak at a university and I remember him saying, "the problem with today's Simpsons is that at one time Homer was as dumb as you remember your dad being when you were a kid, but now he's as dumb as your shoe."

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Homer being that dad you know thing is kind of what I liked about him. Now that they have the show on constantly every night on that one channel, it's kind of weird to see a bunch of stuff from each season mixed together.

Like, I really loved old episodes Homer, because now that I'm older I can go back and really appreciate his jokes. Like the one where he's gonna kill himself, and carries a huge rock tied around his waist all the way downtown to jump off a bridge, just to see an identical rock already at the bridge. And he just shrugs and says, "You live and you learn."

Then in the current stuff, the only really funny things about him are stuff like the financial panther, or just generally more the voice acting of his screams when he gets hurt, more than any actual written jokes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

JediTalentAgent posted:

I look forward to the Simpsons in 2029 when they do their 'Homer and Marge as young adults" episode and they reimaging them as teens/early 20s of the 2010-2019 era.

S32E15 In a flashback to his teenage years, Barney uses his Mapple MyPhone to accidentally record Homer playing Seven Evenings at Moe's starting the Let's Stream Headfeed craze, meanwhile Marge launches her journalism career by writing short, punchy articles full of animated gifs for the new website Hummveed. Guest stars Felix McPewdiepie and Lena Dunham.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

An Ounce of Gold posted:

JK, it was the Skinner episode where we find out that he isn't actually the real Skinner. I don't know if it was the lowest point, but it was one of the worst written episodes. I listened to Mike Reiss speak at a university and I remember him saying, "the problem with today's Simpsons is that at one time Homer was as dumb as you remember your dad being when you were a kid, but now he's as dumb as your shoe."

You've seen every episode and you still think this is the worst one? Most fans consider it a point of reference for where the show started to suck, but so, so, so many worse episodes have aired since then.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I listened to Mike Reiss speak at a university and I remember him saying, "the problem with today's Simpsons is that at one time Homer was as dumb as you remember your dad being when you were a kid, but now he's as dumb as your shoe."
if only mike reiss were still around to curb the worst excesses of al jean

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

get that OUT of my face posted:

if only mike reiss were still around to curb the worst excesses of al jean

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

You've seen every episode and you still think this is the worst one? Most fans consider it a point of reference for where the show started to suck, but so, so, so many worse episodes have aired since then.

Season 9 is where the writers started loving with the fans because they knew they were sharp enough to get away with it

Season 10 after the backlash is where the writers said "gently caress you guys, we do what we want" and started making deliberately bad jokes, and then promptly forgot they were deliberate

It's a lot like Bowie going from Scary Monsters to Let's Dance and then Tonight and Never Let Me Down

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

S32E15 In a flashback to his teenage years, Barney uses his Mapple MyPhone to accidentally record Homer playing Seven Evenings at Moe's starting the Let's Stream Headfeed craze, meanwhile Marge launches her journalism career by writing short, punchy articles full of animated gifs for the new website Hummveed. Guest stars Felix McPewdiepie and Lena Dunham.

Lena Dunham has already been a guest. IIRC, Homer fucks her.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

PostNouveau posted:

Lena Dunham has already been a guest. IIRC, Homer fucks her.

She drugs him heavily and they wake up in her bed, this is one of the lol Homer gets raped lol eps.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
women can't rape men

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ein cooler Typ posted:

women can't rape men

That's sexist.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

It's a lot like Bowie going from Scary Monsters to Let's Dance and then Tonight and Never Let Me Down

let's dance is one of bowie's best songs tho...

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Wow, this is bad. So 1 - 9 are the only decent seasons?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zaepg posted:

Wow, this is bad. So 1 - 9 are the only decent seasons?

It's not as quick a quality dropoff as people say, in my opinion. There are plenty of good to great episodes in Seasons 10, 11, 12, even 13. But the overall quality definitely dips.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
1-11 are worth owning, it includes a few of the bad but all of the good episodes

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
out of morbid curiosity I decided to watch the new kamp krusty episode to see how they gently caress it up.

Wow.

I don't even understand why they made it a tie in to that episode, it completely ignores how the episode even ends. They could have just had some other random event to get the a-story going rather than awkwardly shoehorning it in around a good episode. Especially since the flashbacks and stuff don't even tie in with how stuff happened during the original episode.

I don't really know what I expected, but it was still a disappointment.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

let's dance is one of bowie's best songs tho...

"The Principal and the Pauper" is one of The SImpsons' best episodes :rolleyes:

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
For those who have seen the newer seasons, when did Marge's voice start sounding off? I've seen it in a few clips recently. Eventually we'll figure out precisely when it started and that can be the starting point of the "Physical Decline Era", which will end when all the voice actors are dead.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

"The Principal and the Pauper" is one of The SImpsons' best episodes :rolleyes:

sorry you have bad taste in music.

Osric
Sep 25, 2012
Season 11 was where it fell apart for me.

This is the season where Maude is killed by a t-shirt cannon, Apu and his wife have octuplets, Barney quits drinking, Bart is on Ritalin, and Homer gets a job as a food critic and local restaurant owners try to assassinate him. There are funny bits but it feels like they're having to constantly escalate things with zany, tone-deaf character developments.

That said, it has been about ten years since I last watched an episode of the Simpsons, I hear it got worse, then better, then worse again?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Osric posted:

Homer gets a job as a food critic and local restaurant owners try to assassinate him.

I remember this bit having a lot of good jokes in it, at least.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it did.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
All of those episodes have funny bits (except I don't remember any from the Maude one). At some point the funny bits stop entirely. Hard to say where this is, but it definitely happens and it's almost certainly around 12-14. I liked the weed episode and I think that one came in a bit late, so I'm willing to watch further than some.

edit: Brother's Little Helper is actually really good, the bizarre alternate take on Bart's character is fun and the whole MLB thing is especially funny to cap it off. And come to think of it, many seasons later, when Homer starts taking "Nappiien" there is one decent joke where Lisa accidentally calls it Ambien and corrects herself

edit: I can remember as far as like season 16 having episodes that are mostly fun to watch. I like The Father, the Son, and the Holy Guest Star despite its stupid title. "The Romans have been separate from us since the schism of Lords in 1573 and that was about our Holy Right to COME TO CHURCH WITH WET HAIR! which... we've since... abolished."

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 1, 2017

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
What episode was this

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Osric posted:

Homer gets a job as a food critic and local restaurant owners try to assassinate him

i remember this as an extremely funny episode

now that i've glanced at the season 11 wikipedia article though, i can see that it was kind of all over the place quality-wise

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It contains both the "Chocolate So Dark... Light Cannot Escape It's Touch" and the "Poison//Antidote" hose gag, and those are both gutbusters.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wizard Master posted:

What episode was this

Looks like a photoshop from the episode where Skinner and Edna are hooking up and Bart reveals them making out in the closet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

And Homer looks like its from the Mel Gibson episode when the car hits Homer and gets stuck on his giant butt.