Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

veni veni veni posted:

Like, for example Neir. I'm not even saying I don't like the story I cause I do. It's still a throw 100 things at the wall and see what sticks kind of affair though. Imao the Japanese can't put together a tight narrative to save their lives for the most part. Even the good stuff usually feels bloated as hell.

Oh yeah Japan is definitely completely crazy with their video game narratives unlike storied Western developers such as

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I agree, those Orientals only have a dim understanding of narrative principles and mostly come to them through baser instincts or animist rituals, whereas here in the Enlightened West we

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I don't failure on the part of Japanese storytelling in video games. I would say that, culturally, Japanese developers seem much more interested in using the medium as a unique narrative device.

There are Western devs who do similar things, but it's not very common in mainstream releases. I'm trying to think of a mainstream western game that used the player's experience as a narrative device other than to exposit story in a linear fashion.

And that's not a slight against linear traditional storytelling, but I think it's wrong to label things like Nier: Automata and Dark Souls as "incoherent" when they simply have a much different goal.

edit: I don't mean "Japanese culture" I mean that there is a culture of mainstream Japanese game developers interested in this kind of storytelling that doesn't seem to be present in mainstream Western game development".

It can be found in indie developers everywhere.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 29, 2017

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

veni veni veni posted:

There what is?

He's saying he suspected you meant "Japanese" when you were saying anime this whole time. I mean, I thought what he meant was pretty obvious from context, but apparently not.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol of course criticizing aspects of the narrative structure of some tits and rear end cartoons is the same as hardcore racism here in weaboo lodge.

And yes I realize most western games have poo poo stories. I'm just saying that they are way less all over the place than anime tends to be. There's obviously exceptions on both ends. I don't hate that Japanese games have such ADD stories most of the time it just is what it is.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Lol of course criticizing aspects of the narrative structure of some tits and rear end cartoons is the same as hardcore racism here in weaboo lodge.

Protip: "tits and rear end cartoons" do not make up the whole of Japanese culture, so don't throw out outdated Clash-of-Civilizations dichotomies like "Western" and "the Japanese X"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Let's talk about the Ghost in the Shell movie next.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's only because you kept juxtaposing it with "western anything" then shifted to "the japanese". I get what kind of schlock people are referring to when they just say "anime".

Motto fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 29, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Literally the most popular and profitable entertainment form in the United States of America in this very second are bloated, narratively incoherent movies based on completely ADD "throw 100 things at the wall and see what sticks kind of affair" tits-and-rear end cartoon books

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Literally the most popular and profitable entertainment form in the United States of America in this very second are bloated, narratively incoherent movies based on completely ADD "throw 100 things at the wall and see what sticks kind of affair" tits-and-rear end cartoon books

This is really funny actually.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

After playing For Honor this morning I can confirm that the Japanese are indeed all cheap dumbasses with no valor and my formidable knight shall end them rightly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 can't come soon enough.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Protip: "tits and rear end cartoons" do not make up the whole of Japanese culture, so don't throw out outdated Clash-of-Civilizations dichotomies like "Western" and "the Japanese X"

Western developed games and Japanese games have a very different approach to game design. I don't see the problem with acknowledging this. Trying to make it into some sort of race thing is loving dumb. cool down.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You aren't wrong. And I'm half joking about the T and A cartoon thing. I like some anime.

In my experience almost all anime stuff is all over the place though. Even stuff that is good has tons of bloat. Things like marvel movies do too but they are poo poo.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 29, 2017

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Bad Japanese stuff is nonsensical posturing and pandering. Bad western stuff is boring and bland exercise in grey scale and obviousness. Pick your poison.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Western developed games and Japanese games have a very different approach to game design. I don't see the problem with acknowledging this. Trying to make it into some sort of race thing is loving dumb. cool down.

You aren't wrong. And I'm half joking about the T and A cartoon thing. I like some anime.

In my experience almost all anime stuff is all over the place though. Even stuff that is good has tons of bloat. Things like marvel movies do too but they are poo poo.

I agree that trying to make it some sort of race thing is loving dumb. So that's why you should stop framing everything on an "innate" cultural level

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

There are no cultures.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Step away from the keyboard until you've sobered up a little, buddy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I agree that trying to make it some sort of race thing is loving dumb. So that's why you should stop framing everything on an "innate" cultural level

Don't be obtuse.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
While I enjoy a lot of them, I'm struggling to name a Japanese (story-heavy) game with a straightforward plot that isn't obtuse or convoluted. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it can be frustrating at times.

Metal Gear Rising perhaps? It still has those looooong monologes though.

Valkyria Chronicles (the first one) works too, maybe.

The first Gravity Rush is a super simple slice-of-life story, if you just accept that they only give you vague hints about the MC's powers and origin. Edit: no wait I just remembered the stuff with the Arc. Scratch GR.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 29, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Any of the PS3 onward Atelier games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Resident Evil 7.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Zelda? Mario? Metroid? Ninja Gaiden? I'm sure there are more...

edit: The qualifier "story-heavy" is kind of a big enabler of selection bias.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Depends what you call convoluted, something like Silent Hill or Demons Souls is a fairly simple story told in a deliberately ambiguous way

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Midjack posted:

Let's talk about the Ghost in the Shell movie next.

That looked really boring to me but then again every GitS thing I've watched was really boring.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Motto posted:

It's only because you kept juxtaposing it with "western anything" then shifted to "the japanese". I get what kind of schlock people are referring to when they just say "anime".

I switched to Japanese because I feel it is inherent in a lot of their story telling including live action movies and stuff. I think culturally they just have a generally different approach to story telling. Sometimes it sticks and it's great, sometimes it's super off putting. More often than not I feel like I'm in some sort of fever dream after playing a Japanese game.

I think there are exceptions, like Miyazaki films tell a pretty tightly put together story. I honestly can't think of a Single, story heavy Japanese game that feels like it has a lean narrative although I'm admittedly probably forgetting some.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Resident Evil 7.

Written by an American :v:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Snak posted:

Yeah, it's a really lovely way to get opponents to have to thread the needle to respond to what is in itself a convoluted argument. It's also interesting whenever someone brings up an example of convoluted/obtuse "Western" storytelling, it gets deflected with "Oh, I'm not counting lovely stories"

veni veni veni posted:

Written by an American :v:

Yeah, I'm glad a Westerner could show them the way

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Snak posted:

Zelda? Mario? Metroid? Ninja Gaiden? I'm sure there are more...

Can't believe I forgot about Zelda! Metroid Fusion could fit the bill. There's also Metroid Other M but I'm disqualifying it out of principle.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, I'm glad a Westerner could show them the way

Nice try but you already owned yourself dawg.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Nice try but you already owned yourself dawg.

Game development is a complicated process but whatever, I'm glad you can feel good about yourself I guess?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Yeah, not so sure about The Last Guardian.

It feels like another indie puzzle platformer that you'd pick up for a fiver in a sale or get free on PS+. The controls are abysmal, Trico is a pain in the balls as far as being a gameplay mechanic and it runs like rear end.

The puzzles are retard easy as well, it's just the poo poo controls and stupid AI slowing things down.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

god i hate this thread

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
So Horizon Zero Dawn owns. I put Nier down to pick it back up and I'm still just blown away by how visually stunning and fun it is. I just love dicking around in the various hunting grounds and taking on different robots.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Montalvo posted:

This but Google Play Music.

This is basically what I found on the topic: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/3a7edo/google_music_all_access_on_ps4_work_around_via

I want to use my Google music sub (and free YT red) so I can kick Spotify to the curb but I really like music integration on the PS4. I'll mess with it more later.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

All I can imagine is a japanese geek typing furiously on a forum about how superior Western storytelling is in games like braid and beyond two souls.

The pendulum swings both ways!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Awesome! posted:

god i hate this thread

I had been lead to believe it was better than the Nintendo threads but it is somehow worse?!?!?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Yeeeaaaaaahhhh..... life's far too short for this bullshit.

This game would have been a revelation in late PS2/early PS3 days but it's just mediocre jank that I can't be arsed with now.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
For real, stop buying games until you read like, the bare minimum about them.

There's nothing really wrong with disliking the things you dislike, but reading like, a single paragraph about any of these games would have told you you would hate them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
This thread has turned to such poo poo.

On topic: is The Order worth $15?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fuzz posted:

This thread has turned to such poo poo.

On topic: is The Order worth $15?

I don't think so. I don't think it's worth the time it takes to play it.

Anyone want a Dishinored: DE code? PM me .