Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Rick_Hunter posted:

Not the most important part.

"hosed with Fruit Nutrients" indeed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RatHat posted:

If eating them can literally kill someone how are they able to be sold?

Got a teething baby? Stuff it full of delicious homeopathic teething tablets!

Every pill is bursting with the goodness of belladonna, perfect for the youngest of babies!

They realised last year that feeding deadly nightshade to tiny babies might not be a brilliant idea so they made the "difficult decision" to recall the pills

quote:

Last year, the US Food and Drug Administration raised the alarm about homeopathic teething products after an investigation revealed 400 reports of adverse events, including 10 deaths.

The US administration found inconsistent levels of belladonna alkaloids in the products and warned that belladonna presented a serious health hazard with unpredictable outcomes to children.
http://www.theage.com.au/national/hylands-homeopathic-baby-tablets-recalled-in-australia-over-safety-fears-20170429-gvvfgx.html

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
They're just continuing a age old tradition though

Wikipedia posted:

The formula consisted of morphine sulphate (65 mg per fluid ounce), sodium carbonate, spirits foeniculi, and aqua ammonia. It was claimed that it was "likely to sooth any human or animal", and it effectively quieted restless infants and small children especially for "teething".

Yeah I bet it did soothe any human or animal.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Got a teething baby? Stuff it full of delicious homeopathic teething tablets!

Every pill is bursting with the goodness of belladonna, perfect for the youngest of babies!

They realised last year that feeding deadly nightshade to tiny babies might not be a brilliant idea so they made the "difficult decision" to recall the pills

http://www.theage.com.au/national/hylands-homeopathic-baby-tablets-recalled-in-australia-over-safety-fears-20170429-gvvfgx.html

In which case, they weren't preparing their homeopathic belladonna properly. If they were, they'd have diluted it down so far that the mixture was indistinguishable from water. So either they create a poison or a placebo.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Old timey medicines were hardcore.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pakled posted:

I've just gotten over a week and a half of the flu and what I would have given for a nuclear grade cough syrup to help me sleep.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pakled posted:

Hmm, I don't feel that great.

You know what would make me feel better? Getting hosed up.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Pakled posted:

this seems awesome tbh

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I'm not sure it actually does anything to treat a cough but you sure won't give a drat about having one afterwards.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Asimo posted:

Yeah I'm not sure it actually does anything to treat a cough but you sure won't give a drat about having one afterwards.

It's for suppressing the symptoms not for curing it. It's very effective at making sure you don't notice you've got the flu at all.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

I'm glad this was brought up, because as someone who isn't doing morphine on a regular basis, I'm a bit hazy on scope and scale. How much is a 'normal' (either for a regular person actually using it medicinally, or as a junkie looking to score) dose for that sort of stuff?

I mean, I get the joke is that it's a Whole loving Lot, but I'm still curious.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

MisterBibs posted:

I'm glad this was brought up, because as someone who isn't doing morphine on a regular basis, I'm a bit hazy on scope and scale. How much is a 'normal' (either for a regular person actually using it medicinally, or as a junkie looking to score) dose for that sort of stuff?

I mean, I get the joke is that it's a Whole loving Lot, but I'm still curious.

I've been prescribed Oxycodone, an opioid painkiller people can and do get addicted to, twice after surgery. Both times, the dosage was 40mg at a time, which is enough to gently caress you up real good but still on the low end of the scale.

The medicine in the picture contains 125mg of the sameish stuff.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
loving hell, I had 10mg oxy tablets after surgery recently and they made me basically into a drooling idiot for 8-10 hours. Well, more so than usual. 125mg is a Heroic dose.

Edit: actually I'm pretty sure that contains 1/8th of a grain of morphine. That's still 8mg, so plus the rest, you're not going to care about coughing for a while.

Memento has a new favorite as of 08:03 on Apr 30, 2017

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Memento posted:

loving hell, I had 10mg oxy tablets after surgery recently and they made me basically into a drooling idiot for 8-10 hours. Well, more so than usual. 125mg is a Heroic dose.

Edit: actually I'm pretty sure that contains 1/8th of a grain of morphine. That's still 8mg, so plus the rest, you're not going to care about coughing for a while.

Well, I just learned about a new unit of measurement.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

So I was googling Ćetenija, a Bosnian confectionary, and found this interesting image of how they make it.

And you can use it to make Trump / Boris Johnson cake! Truly the candy of our era.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I am trying to remember but isn't heroin actually fantastic for getting rid of coughs?

PaulBearer
Jul 23, 2013

burexas.irom posted:

And you can use it to make Trump / Boris Johnson cake! Truly the candy of our era.

A Trump cake would have to be white dough with brown coating though, not the other way around.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
morphine and oxycodone aren't the same dosage wise. 15-30mg orally of pure morphine is a decent therapeutic dose that's not too crazy. When I was getting high, but without any kind of too crazy junky tolerance I'd shoot up about 30mg which IIRC is about 3-4x as strong as taking it orally. so 8mg doses in syrup really isn't extreme at all. They probably just weren't aware of how addictive it is back then.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Josef bugman posted:

I am trying to remember but isn't heroin actually fantastic for getting rid of coughs?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

Opioids suppress the respiratory system.

ODs are from a failure to breathe afaik.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

A level that surpasses Get Well Soon Hospital Lobby cards

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

bobjr posted:

This doesn't have such a funny ending though.

Can I get this narrated by Werner Herzog?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
At least in the UK you can't still technically buy codine syrup over the counter in pharmacies for treatment of coughs and morphine and clay for Digestive issues.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Kennel posted:

Can I get this narrated by Werner Herzog?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWH_9VRWn8Y

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Not for the first time has the Funny Pictures thread left me weeping openly.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Nice reminder that Bayer was a subsidy of IG Farben, the German company that made all the gas for concentration camps in WW2. I believe they split off and really ran hard to remove the association after the war.

Headache? Try aspirin.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Nice reminder that Bayer was a subsidy of IG Farben, the German company that made all the gas for concentration camps in WW2. I believe they split off and really ran hard to remove the association after the war.

BASF and Agfa, too.

Bayer originally marketed heroin as a non-addictive substitute for morphine. Oops.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Blind Rasputin posted:

Headache? Try aspirin.

Not really a funny picture, but relevant.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

RFC2324 posted:

When I was in high school, I had a friend who maintained a supply of cyanide, 'just in case'. He gathered it by cooking it out of apple seeds, and would pass it around so we could all smell how almondy it was.

I wonder if he is dead yet.

If I remember right, cyanide smells/tastes nothing like almonds, it smells/tastes like bitter almonds, which taste nothing like sweet almonds. And it's not so much that cyanide tastes like bitter almonds as it is that bitter almonds taste like cyanide. Because they contain cyanide.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mr. Vile posted:

If I remember right, cyanide smells/tastes nothing like almonds, it smells/tastes like bitter almonds, which taste nothing like sweet almonds. And it's not so much that cyanide tastes like bitter almonds as it is that bitter almonds taste like cyanide. Because they contain cyanide.

So what you're saying is that cyanide tastes like itself... that's not a useful way to describe the taste of something.

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

Rumda posted:

At least in the UK you can't still technically buy codine syrup over the counter in pharmacies for treatment of coughs and morphine and clay for Digestive issues.

Here's my codeine conversion:

Typical AC cough syrup has 10mg of codeine in a dose, which converts to about 2mg morphine sulf. Cough syrup doses may make you drowsy but not totally messed up. A typical starting dose of morphine for pain is about 15mg (though it's rarely used as a first option so people tend to be a bit tolerant by then). The pain doses the first time usually make people a bit messed up where they may not be able to hold a regular conversation.

So that syrup above has 1/8 grain of morphine sulf, which is 8mg, in an OUNCE. Careful observers will notice at the bottom that you take half a teaspoon which is 1/6 of an ounce. So your dose would actually be ~1.3mg of morphine, which is similar though less than a conversion of today's codeine cough syrups.

The alcohol would basically be negligible, like in today's cough syrups.
I have no idea what the cannabis would convert to today, since they probably didn't have very potent plants and the extractions would likely be done with the alcohol or chloroform.
I don't even want to try and guess or look up what that chloroform would do or what a regular dose is.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Kwyndig posted:

So what you're saying is that cyanide tastes like itself... that's not a useful way to describe the taste of something.

He said cyanide tastes like bitter almonds. He said it literally 3 times in that post.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Rumda posted:

I bought some OTC (but available only at pharmacies) Panadeine Plus in NZ a while back ("Higher Dose Codeine"), each dose containing 30 mg codeine phosphate and 1000 mg paracetamol. It's pretty good for pain; I took some in absolute desperation after several weeks of bronchitis hoping it would have some effect on my cough, but no dice. :( I don't recall it affecting me like the same-dosage Tylenol 3s did after my foot surgery.

Also, bitter almonds is the flavor of maraschino cherries, if that helps. Most cherry-flavored sweets have a good dollop of bitter-almond flavor. Or is it cyanide? :iiam:

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I'm pretty sure mixing all these substances has a different effect on your body compared to taking only one of them, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Honj Steak posted:

I'm pretty sure mixing all these substances has a different effect on your body compared to taking only one of them, though.

Combined with the morphine that chloroform would make you quite drowsy, although it wouldn't actually knock you out.