Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

ante posted:

I miss active Everest threads :(
Latest Alan Arnette blog post is pretty cool. Featuring Yak attacks (:ohdear:) and Everest dogs. :kimchi:
http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2017/04/25/everest-2017-climbing-remembering/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

ante posted:

I miss active Everest threads :(

GBS ruins everything.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Picnic Princess posted:

GBS ruins everything.

In this case it wasn't GBS posters that ruined it though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They were posting in GBS, that's makes them GBS posters.

girlwithgloves
Jun 5, 2011

This thread needs more pictures of Everest doggies.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

EverestNoFilter guys have been running into more trouble. One of their sherpas was feeling sick and then Cory was having health problems too and skipped an acclimatization day hike. The mountain is also being absolutely blasted with high winds so I doubt anyone has been attempting the summit the last few days even though it's sunny and clear for the most part.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Picnic Princess posted:

EverestNoFilter guys have been running into more trouble. One of their sherpas was feeling sick and then Cory was having health problems too and skipped an acclimatization day hike. The mountain is also being absolutely blasted with high winds so I doubt anyone has been attempting the summit the last few days even though it's sunny and clear for the most part.

It's not even May, it's way early.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Why did they get up from the prayer ceremony to get a better perspective for Snapchat just ugh.

I mean, there's the whole issue of falsifying traditional customs for the sake of performance to make tourist experiences more "authentic" which is a huge problem in non-Western countries, but whether that was the case or it was legitimate, you should still participate as expected.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
I like the EverestNoFilter guys better this year. I guess I figured them as just stupid hipsters the first time but after followed them this journey from the start, they seem pretty nice.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/27/asia/taiwanese-couple-rescued-nepal/index.html

Not quite Everest, but a hiking couple was lost for seven weeks in the Himalayas and found today. One of them survived, the other died 3 days prior.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Unconfirmed, but looks like Steck died :(

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2017/04/30/everest-2017-ueli-steck-dies-on-nuptse/

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
A bunch of other news sites are running with it, I think it's official. That's really sad. :(

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
loving hell! Everest, that's enough this year, you took out the big dog.

https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/swiss-machine-ueli-steck-killed-in-mt-everest-accident/

quote:

A group of six rescuers discovered a body of the multiple-record holder mountaineer near Nuptse Face of the Mt Everest where he could have slipped and fell on the ice-covered slope. “The team has collected the scattered parts of the climber’s body.”

:(

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rondette posted:

Also, yeah..... worried for Ueli, suicide by mountain????
A lot of us saw this coming..
:( :( :(

Rondette fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 30, 2017

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I thought he was solo climbing but the article implies he had a sherpa?

Also I've read it before but forgotten, what was the deal with fixing ropes?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Trying to repeat the Hornbein route followed by all the rest was almost suicidal, but he never got that far. This accident happened during an acclimatization climb. :(

simplefish posted:

I thought he was solo climbing but the article implies he had a sherpa?

Also I've read it before but forgotten, what was the deal with fixing ropes?

He had a Sherpa friend who was to be his climbing partner in this attempt, iirc. You don't try the Hornbein route solo.

Fixing ropes makes it easier to climb up and down between camps several times, which they have to do to establish camps, stockpile supplies at them, spend time acclimating at altitude, go back down to recover, climb back up, etc. If the real climbers are prepping for pulling a bunch of rich assholes up the mountain later on, the ropes make that process a lot easier too of course.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Sorry I meant when they had the fight about ropes with sherpas. It was referenced in that Himalayan times article. I can look it up again myself later, just I'm at work right now

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Well gently caress. There's really no other way for him to go out but man. That really sucks.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo, that's really awful news, drat. :(

RIP one of the true greats. Here he is climbing the north face of the Eiger in 2 hours 22 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfpYNr7es0Y

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Well, that sucks :-(

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

Sorry I meant when they had the fight about ropes with sherpas. It was referenced in that Himalayan times article. I can look it up again myself later, just I'm at work right now

They were climbing above Sherpas who were setting up ropes for the 'tourist climbers' and I think knocked some ice down over some of them and it all kicked off.

Edit- have an article https://www.outsideonline.com/1929351/everest-brawl-sherpas-tale

Rondette fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 30, 2017

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
drat, RIP Steck.

I was scoffing at posts like the following*

Rondette posted:

Also, yeah..... worried for Ueli, suicide by mountain????

And he got taken out on an acclimatisation run. WTF man.

*Sorry Rondette you're cool but I was like "No way, Steck has got this". Solemn reminder that nobody is bigger than the mountain :smith:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm taking no pleasure in being right about this one. :(

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Damnit. This reminds me of when Tim Samaras was killed by the El Reno tornado a few years ago. It sucks when people that are awesome in their field are killed doing what they love :smith:

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Rats. :smith:

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

I was just describing Steck's attempt this year to a friend of mine. Then I see new posts in this thread and learn there won't be an attempt. Goddamn :smith:

crip drinkn milk
Jan 31, 2001

IS DOG VEGABLE?
honnold is next

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did he already do the Everest part?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Did he already do the Everest part?

No, he was acclimatizing before the attempt.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Dang RIP Ueli. One of not many who belonged there.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I had a feeling looking at the route he wanted to take it wouldn't go well, but I was just thinking he would call off the attempt, not die on an acclimatization run. That's a real shame.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Reminds me of the crocodile hunter gettng killed by a stingray. I always figured he was doomed but would have assumed a croc would get him.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Rest in peace Ueli. At least you died doing what you loved. :unsmith:

Arnette's article says he had a wife. I can't imagine what she must be going through; just being the partner of an alpinist like that is stressful, let alone getting the call.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My brother in law posted on Facebook about it, Steck has always been a major hero and idol for him so he's not taking this well :(

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I feel like I just watched someone win the Daytona 500 and then get run over in the parking lot.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 30, 2017

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Popularly known was Swiss Machine, the 41-year-old Swiss alpinist was climbing Mt Nuptse solo when he slipped and fell some 1,000 metres down the mountain, severing his body into bits and pieceson the treacherous terrain, according to other mountaineers.

https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/body-parts-swiss-machine-airlifted-mt-everest/

He goddamn exploded on the mountains.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Here's a link to the video of Ueli on the Eiger in 2008, a great alpinism video and what got him on a lot of people's radars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a0X9rdJ7hc

That bit at 2:15 where he's nearly running up the snowfield is very inspirational to me.

Saint Jerome
Sep 14, 2004

I will unite the Jews!

Helicity posted:

Damnit. This reminds me of when Tim Samaras was killed by the El Reno tornado a few years ago. It sucks when people that are awesome in their field are killed doing what they love :smith:

And everyone knew how much he loved falling to his death and exploding into pieces.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Saint Jerome posted:

And everyone knew how much he loved falling to his death and exploding into pieces.

Well, how else could he have possibly gone I mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"I know that one day the mountain will claim me. When it does, I hope I explode into a million pieces." - Ueli Steck.