Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I haven't played of his games since Heavy Rain, did they ever have branching QTEs with different good outcomes or anything interesting like that?

Beyond: Two Souls has a couple of chapters that have pretty different ending depending on some choices, and if you manage to perfom some QTEs. It's not all that interesting though - I though Heavy Rain's action sequences had more fun and varied success/fail animations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
David Cage rules. When I was little, I imagined games in the future would be like movies where you control a character, and Cage is the only one really doing that now, even if he's not that great at it...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If David Cage is making the games you dreamed of as a kid, you sucked as a kid.

<3

Also: so is the frame pacing issue in FFXV still there, then?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Is David Cages other game still happening? The one with the robots in Detroit? I feel like we haven't heard anything about it for ages.

His games are dumb, but they're good rentals.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I really enjoyed Heavy Rain when I played it, and still would have a good opinion of it if I didn't notice the huge plot holes.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

veni veni veni posted:

All I ever remember from his games are the unintentional comedy parts.
So, like, everything?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Spalec posted:

Is David Cages other game still happening? The one with the robots in Detroit? I feel like we haven't heard anything about it for ages.

His games are dumb, but they're good rentals.

it's still coming (or at least nobody's said it isn't). you can probably expect news at e3

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

All I ever remember from his games are the unintentional comedy parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-L-G1q_0L8

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

I don't know what to be more impressed by: That this guy can get out of bed in the morning without breaking a limb, or that the perp STILL doesn't manage to get away.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Oh my god, that's amazing. I was laughing so hard at that my wife came in to make sure I'm okay. That's a man who hates these drat birds, that's for sure.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The NPC at 2:02 is the best

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Soft Shell Crab posted:

okay dad. Ever heard of Knack by the way?

I've heard of it but never played it. I keep seeing it for £5 all over the place but then I also see Battleborn for £5 too.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Can you fail every QTE and still catch the guy?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Can you fail every QTE and still catch the guy?

I think it's important to the story, so probably.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It used to be that no amount of gently caress ups would make you fail, but I believe the PS4 rerelease actually fails you halfway through, or at least by the time you get to the meat locker.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Did they add a new scene for that or is it just a fade out or something?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

VideoGames posted:

I've heard of it but never played it. I keep seeing it for £5 all over the place but then I also see Battleborn for £5 too.
That's a tough choice

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
What Remains of Edith Finch is very short and also very good.

Though when I was poking around the house my main thought was "mother of gently caress these people own a lot of books."

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Motto posted:

Did they add a new scene for that or is it just a fade out or something?

Turns out I was just misremembering, you'll always catch up to him in the meat locker. The only difference if you fail there is Norman gets beat up but then Blake intervenes and everything proceeds as normal.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Feenix posted:

Also: so is the frame pacing issue in FFXV still there, then?

Not sure, but I think it's fine, at least on balanced.

I adore that failed dive at 1:42.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 1, 2017

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Sooooo wtf is wrong with PSN right now? Parties don't work, neither does cloud storage. Anyone know anything about what's going on?

Every time I create a party, I'm in it for about 10 seconds before "You have left the party due to network error" and this has been happening to me and 3 other people that have been trying to make a party for the last 45 minutes.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Zipperelli. posted:

Sooooo wtf is wrong with PSN right now? Parties don't work, neither does cloud storage. Anyone know anything about what's going on?

Every time I create a party, I'm in it for about 10 seconds before "You have left the party due to network error" and this has been happening to me and 3 other people that have been trying to make a party for the last 45 minutes.

Sounds like it's just PSN's weekly pants making GBS threads. Try again in a few hours.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Finished The Last Of Us. What a stupendous game, wowee! Who agrees with the ending? I'm certainly happy with it but maybe because I'm an old man dad. I'm going to let the whole game gel into the old noodle and take a break for a bit. What does Left Behind offer up? I guess it's a side story, or maybe I play the game over from another perspective.

Anyway, what a good one.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wow, you really powered through that! Congrats. It is a Very Dad Game.

Left Behind is good DLC, it covers both the missing Winter time and some of Ellie's backstory. It is short and worth doing I would say

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Finished The Last Of Us. What a stupendous game, wowee! Who agrees with the ending? I'm certainly happy with it but maybe because I'm an old man dad. I'm going to let the whole game gel into the old noodle and take a break for a bit. What does Left Behind offer up? I guess it's a side story, or maybe I play the game over from another perspective.

Anyway, what a good one.
Left Behind is a short story from Ellie's past. I thought it was fantastic. There's a small bit in there (the arcade "game") that's one of my favorite examples of a developer showing they understand how to use a simple moment of interactivity to do something a film can't, even in the middle of a larger "cinematic" experience.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
:what: I might go fire it up again and be groggy tomorrow.

I wish I had a fraction of Joels old man strength

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 1, 2017

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Don't know how active it still is, but Last of Us has a pretty baller multiplayer mode as well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's still kicking. I still play it sometimes.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I was very close to buying a PS4 Pro today but felt dumb buying a thing that was just a $400 system with zero promotions going on. Surely there will be a Destiny 2 thing in a few months or at least something? Is that stuff usually announced at E3?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

kater posted:

I was very close to buying a PS4 Pro today but felt dumb buying a thing that was just a $400 system with zero promotions going on. Surely there will be a Destiny 2 thing in a few months or at least something? Is that stuff usually announced at E3?

It hasn't been out very long, but so far all the bundle and special editions have been on slim PS4s since they both debuted. I honestly don't think there's going to be a PS4 Pro bundle until Death Stranding. The FFXV special edition bundle was a Slim. I'm guessing that while developers would love to have people play their games in the best way possible, the publishers would rather make deals to bundle it with the cheaper model. I think Hideo Kojima would have enough sway to get a Pro special edition bundle. That's just my two cents.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
oh wow, yeah I didn't consider that the maps were different

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

It hasn't been out very long, but so far all the bundle and special editions have been on slim PS4s since they both debuted. I honestly don't think there's going to be a PS4 Pro bundle until Death Stranding. The FFXV special edition bundle was a Slim. I'm guessing that while developers would love to have people play their games in the best way possible, the publishers would rather make deals to bundle it with the cheaper model. I think Hideo Kojima would have enough sway to get a Pro special edition bundle. That's just my two cents.

That wouldn't stop Sony from bundling a Sony published game. Imo they are probably just selling well enough that they don't feel like they need to bundle anything.

Edit: Did that code work btw? It was sitting on my shelf for eons but I was 99.9% sure it was unused.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Anyway, what a good one.

Don't know if i agree with joel, but you can certainly understand where both characters are coming from. TLoUs ending is amazing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Some people mistake the ending of TLoU as being the tired question "Should you kill a bunch of people to save someone you care about, objective "greater good"
be damned?" Yeah like, this question is relevant to the characters and the plot, but it's not the ending, and it's not what the game is asking the player. What the game is asking the player is "Having murderd a bunch of people and possible acted against the greater good and against the wishes of your loved one out of selfishness, lie to them to spare them pain?" Whether or not you agree with Joel's choice, it's explicitly against Ellie's wishes, and done for purely selfish reasons, and the end is Joel Lying to Ellie with the implication that she suspects/knows he's lying. It's really sad all around. Like, I agree with the logic that no "cure", regardless of effectiveness, would be worth giving up Ellie. Getting rid of the zombies wouldn't "save" mankind. But the real conflict is, if your relationship with someone is the most important thing, can you justify lying to them? If your relationship is based on a lie (or lies), aren't you also lying to yourself?"

It's not super deep, but it's not remotely the same conflict as "would you give up your daughter to save humanity?!?!" Which is what a lot of people seemed to the think the ending was about. It was never a question.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Some people mistake the ending of TLoU as being the tired question "Should you kill a bunch of people to save someone you care about, objective "greater good"
be damned?" Yeah like, this question is relevant to the characters and the plot, but it's not the ending, and it's not what the game is asking the player. What the game is asking the player is "Having murderd a bunch of people and possible acted against the greater good and against the wishes of your loved one out of selfishness, lie to them to spare them pain?" Whether or not you agree with Joel's choice, it's explicitly against Ellie's wishes, and done for purely selfish reasons, and the end is Joel Lying to Ellie with the implication that she suspects/knows he's lying. It's really sad all around. Like, I agree with the logic that no "cure", regardless of effectiveness, would be worth giving up Ellie. Getting rid of the zombies wouldn't "save" mankind. But the real conflict is, if your relationship with someone is the most important thing, can you justify lying to them? If your relationship is based on a lie (or lies), aren't you also lying to yourself?"

It's not super deep, but it's not remotely the same conflict as "would you give up your daughter to save humanity?!?!" Which is what a lot of people seemed to the think the ending was about. It was never a question.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone characterise the ending that way. It's not a subtle ending.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

kater posted:

There's been like two different Destiny PS4 bundles so I'm willing to bet there'll be like a white PS4 Pro Destiny 2 bundle when it comes out. That kind of stuff does get announced at E3 and I am waiting for one of those bundles myself to upgrade.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snak posted:

I don't agree with most of that.

More than anything I'm team Joel because I don't trust that the Fireflies knew what the gently caress they are doing and they never actually gave Ellie the chance to consent. They deserved everything they got. He had to lie to Ellie at the end but there was an unspoken understanding Joel did the right thing.

Plus if you play MP youll realize that murdering fireflies is so fun it should be a national sport and they are bunch of dorks with lame dialog compared to the far superior hunters.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

there was an unspoken understanding Joel did the right thing.

where did you get this from?
anyway, it doesn't matter what joel did, the important thing for ellie is if he will admit to it. He doesn't and they both know their future relationship is tainted with that lie. there's also the element of joel not doing it for her at all, but for himself, since she's his reason for surviving now.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's been a long time since I played TLoU but from what I remember Ellie totally consented to giving up her life to make a cure, she just never got a chance to talk to Joel before the surgery.

And the ending isn't exactly subtle. Joel did a very selfish thing because he couldn't handle losing another daughter, even if he was potentially damning humanity in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
TLoU ending chat. Of course Joel did what he did in order to protect Ellie, but he also did it for his own selfish reasons.

It's obvious what Ellie would have wanted to do, and Joel made a conscious decision to veto her wishes. It all connects to earlier story beats, like Joel refusing to let Ellie use a gun. He refused to treat her like the individual she is, and made himself her legal guardian.

The whole game is about the pair developing a bond made out of love, and above all, trust and respect. In the end, he once again decides that his will, his decisions, should overrule her will. Of course he does it because he wants to protect her. But he also desperately wants to be her dad, not her equal, and in the end decides what's best for her.

And in doing so and lying about it he sort of 'regresses' her, and breaks or at least hurts that bond of trust they built. It's not a coincidence that you spend the last part as Ellie. You can totally feel the rift between them. The sense of betrayal.

In the end, Ellie decides to play along with Joel's dad fantasies. Because it's easier that way. But I'd be very, very surprised if the lingering doubts in her mind, and her intense feelings of guilt, dont grow into full-on resentment in the sequel. Lying about stuff like that might sound like a good idea at first, but it's not healthy in any way or in any situation. Basing a father-daughter relationship on it? Disastrous.

Just to make it clear. It doesn't matter whether Joel was right or not. He vetoed the wishes of Ellie, killed her mother (essentially) and, above all, lied about it. Badly. He did those things so he could continue to be a dad, and those decisions will come back to haunt him, no matter if you agree with his decisions or not.

Tldr: TLoU 2 is going to be heavy.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 1, 2017