Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Anyone have ideas on how to automate withdrawal of extra stuff from the Uranium enrichment process? It's easy to make it produce new U-235 in a closed loop, but I want the extras going to reactor fuel, not sitting in a centrifuge input buffer, and the closest I can come up with for solution has a long delay belt with circuit network in every cell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

OddObserver posted:

Anyone have ideas on how to automate withdrawal of extra stuff from the Uranium enrichment process? It's easy to make it produce new U-235 in a closed loop, but I want the extras going to reactor fuel, not sitting in a centrifuge input buffer, and the closest I can come up with for solution has a long delay belt with circuit network in every cell.

With the right inserter layout, you can set it up so that the input inserters would always miss exactly one of the pieces of U-235 that was output. You'd have to re-do it every time you wanted to take advantage of a bigger stack size bonus though.

The way we accidentally stumbled across on the goon server had three filter inserters outputting on the left, then the belt curved around to the top, where there was one stack filter inserter outputting, then to stack inserters inputting. I'm not sure what the stack size was at the time, but the result was that it would consistently grab 40 U-235 and let the 41st piece leak out.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I gotta say, barreling all fluids is kind of changing my life. I knew there were mods that did this, but I never thought I needed it so I never bothered. Now that it's here, I can far more easily spread out uses of small amounts of fluids without rats nests of pipes. Just make an assembler that barrels at the refinery keeping 10 filled barrels, and request into an assembler that un barrels wherever I need it. Lubricant for belts? Bots will take care of that. Water for concrete? Bots.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

it took me about a while just to reroute all the kinks in my belts to make way for yellow science

Perfect!

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Someone mentioned using a Google Docs to share Blueprint Strings so I went ahead and set one up. Feel free to add any blueprints you want to it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SZeIlyYvjInZp88_ilfIMY_4BcslO2fDl886sqKS6LA/edit?usp=sharing

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The final challenge: compute blueprint string collisions using only in game combinatory computers! It would only take like 4 years of game play time to run the calculation!

Or you could write a script for a real computer and automate the testing in proper factorio automation style.

This is a topic I've weirdly curious about. How are they encoding blueprints to strings? What's the largest possible blue print? Do hash collisions happen before that upper limit? Would their encoding algorithm have collisions if the limit was removed?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

The final challenge: compute blueprint string collisions using only in game combinatory computers! It would only take like 4 years of game play time to run the calculation!

Or you could write a script for a real computer and automate the testing in proper factorio automation style.

This is a topic I've weirdly curious about. How are they encoding blueprints to strings? What's the largest possible blue print? Do hash collisions happen before that upper limit? Would their encoding algorithm have collisions if the limit was removed?

Hashes aren't reversible, and like you say they can collide, so they can't be used for this. Instead you find some tightly-packed way to express the data (a real simple blueprint could be done as just <item id><x pos><y pos> repeated over and over), and then output it as a base 64 string.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yeah I know they're not actually hashes. What I'm curious about is since they track orientation, reverie, and I think most likely to cause trouble, specific power distribution links and circuit network connnections. Each individual poles connections need to be tracked. Gotta be some fuzzing you can do against it.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah I know they're not actually hashes. What I'm curious about is since they track orientation, reverie, and I think most likely to cause trouble, specific power distribution links and circuit network connnections. Each individual poles connections need to be tracked. Gotta be some fuzzing you can do against it.

They already need to have every single piece of data in the game serializable for saves and network, blueprint strings are likely just encoding their underlying common binary format in Base64 or similar.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Soo... This site got linked on reddit recently, and claims to be material requirements for each tech in .15 as well as what techs are needed for x.

Is this image accurate? Specifically the total raw. Seems a little excessive... but then 180k/6k=~30 iron per on average... which actually doesn't sound that outrageous.

e.

Oh sure, I'll get right on that. I can see I need to start thinking about my factory in terms of 10/50x the current size.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 1, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It seems reasonable to me, given what goes into those higher-tier science packs.

Bear in mind, though, that you could very well be running full productivity modules by the time you get to that point, which will substantially reduce those numbers.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Productivity modules and the productivity research, which applies to pumpjacks just in case someone hasn't noticed that yet.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I've mined out a couple of 1M-2M iron ore fields and made a decent dent in a 10M ore one. I've got all research packs under production -- although not a lot of yellows -- and have managed to (very slowly) research the Kovarex enrichment process tech which is of similar cost to rockets. That's on the "expensive" difficulty so my numbers are likely bigger than those, but they seem reasonable.

I don't have the circuit production to do productivity modules (I've made 2 prod3s by hand and I shoved them in my nuclear fuel assembler), but the things that really enable you to scale to 10x whatever your current size is are thousands of construction robots and the infinite power of the atom. Modules are just there to not make you go insane as you scale further.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
don't use pipes between pumps and tanks. tanker->pump->tank->pump->(pipes)->pump->tank->pump->(pipes)->refinery is how I manage my oil depot and tankers empty stupidly fast

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
made a 15:43 launch... :eng99: just could not find the oil.

Xerophyte posted:

Someone made an automated shuttle train:

do note that you can edit blueprints on this screen to remove any extra objects you captured when creating the blueprint

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

OddObserver posted:

I am a simple boy who doesn't use circuits, here is my expandable enrichment setup. U-235 and U-238 from my ore-processing centrifuges enters on the belt at the top left and is filtered, with the bad stuff going in to a chain of chests for storage and the good stuff going on to the top loop. The buffer chest with a fast inserter input and slow inserter output makes sure the belt is stocked but always has gaps on it so centrifuge output is never blocked. The loop feeds ore to the enrichment centrifuges first, and they are set up so they output to the belt earlier than they take from it, so they will re-consume their own output before allowing it to pass on, and good uranium will only make it to the end and the fuel cell assembler if all of the centrifuges are already working and have full inputs. I use logistics requester chests to keep the iron plates for the assembler and U-238 for the bottom loop stocked.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Well here's a screenshot of our goon server enrichment setup

So, the way it works is that each cetrifuge has 2 sides - upper and lower.
On the lower side, the long inserters pull U-238 in as inputs, while the filter inserters put the output u238-out.
That little bit of belt on the right makes sure that fresh u238 from uranium separation(just above) only enters this system when all of the u-238 output already cleared out, ensuring that centrifuges will not stall out due not not being able to output u-238. This means that all u-238 is recycled.

On the upper side each centrifuge has the following:
1 stack filter inserter output, filtered to only output u-235.
2 stack inserters on input, placed after the output.

The net effect is that, until the centrifuge is full, it will refuel itself with it's own product, by putting it right back in. If it IS full, it will let that 1 extra u-235 slide, allowing it to either fuel another centrifuge, or, if all of those are full too, to enter the storage chest.

Regallion fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 1, 2017

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat

OddObserver posted:

I had the same problem and spent a bit of time looking up how to do it, and I found this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/6841oq/kovarex_enrichment_process_with_combinators/

There is a blueprint string at the bottom, it works quite well.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Ambaire posted:

Soo... This site got linked on reddit recently, and claims to be material requirements for each tech in .15 as well as what techs are needed for x.

Is this image accurate? Specifically the total raw. Seems a little excessive... but then 180k/6k=~30 iron per on average... which actually doesn't sound that outrageous.

e.

Oh sure, I'll get right on that. I can see I need to start thinking about my factory in terms of 10/50x the current size.

Considering this is the absolute end-game tech, those prices seem totally reasonable to me. Especially the atomic bomb tech which I'm pretty sure is just there for you to wave your dick around.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jagged Jim posted:

Someone mentioned using a Google Docs to share Blueprint Strings so I went ahead and set one up. Feel free to add any blueprints you want to it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SZeIlyYvjInZp88_ilfIMY_4BcslO2fDl886sqKS6LA/edit?usp=sharing

Can this be put in the OP?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

That Google Doc is a great idea, I'll happily add to it. Later on today, I'll thrown in my railway junctions / stations. If someone could be an absolute champ and add the belt balancers from https://wiki.factorio.com/Balancers#2_belts_.E2.86.92_x_belts that would be a lifesaver. I was planning on doing it, but I've only used the 4-8 balancer and none of the others. Would be super handy having a blueprint book consisting of all the balancers.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I finally got a personal roboport up and running for the first time and it feels like I'm playing an entirely different game now. Next step is trains and then circuits because producing science past blue and black takes an unholy amount of everything.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Jagged Jim posted:

Could we switch this to a spreadsheet, if there's more than half a dozen blueprints it's going to quickly become unwieldy

e: also if it's a spreadsheet, you can have a free-to-all question page that auto-adds blueprint lines if you want to open it up to the wider world

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 1, 2017

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Dootman posted:

MadZuri made a new solar blueprint for 0.15: http://imgur.com/vv9lxQL blueprint string included.
Huh, this actually has quite a bad ratio - you want 0.84 accumulators per solar panel, and this has about 0.788. (There are "really" 82 accumulators in MadZuri's rather than 88, since his blueprint overlaps itself.) I needed some solar power today, so I came up with another variant I'm quite happy with that gives about 0.848. Here's what it looks like:

Might stick it on reddit if people like it.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 1, 2017

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

M_Gargantua posted:

I don't think it tracks each pole connection, the power poles just connect like they normally would, so sometimes if I build it by hand the wires connecting poles form rectangles, but because of the order the bots place them, they end up making Xs. Green and Red wire are tracked though.

I'm curious if they're using the same blueprint string that the community already decided on? Of if they were able to engineer something even better with access to the internal guts rather than just the mod API.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Is there any mod that lets you put ore into a miner drill (so you could chain drills together, each one dumping their ore into the next)?

Or even a mod that electrically links buildings that are touching each other?

Sibling of TB fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 1, 2017

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Is there an updated version of the spawn belts mod anywhere so I can test builds in sandbox without having to set up mining/intermediates etc?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bhodi posted:

Could we switch this to a spreadsheet, if there's more than half a dozen blueprints it's going to quickly become unwieldy

e: also if it's a spreadsheet, you can have a free-to-all question page that auto-adds blueprint lines if you want to open it up to the wider world

How about using pastebin? Long strings usually aren't spreadsheet friendly at least in my experience.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There are console commands to just give you resources, which you could then put in chests to unload into belts, so you don't have to worry about actually gathering your materials.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

FISHMANPET posted:

There are console commands to just give you resources, which you could then put in chests to unload into belts, so you don't have to worry about actually gathering your materials.

Ah, yeah, I don't know why I didn't think of that. Slightly more fiddly but it will work. Thanks.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

FISHMANPET posted:

I don't think it tracks each pole connection, the power poles just connect like they normally would, so sometimes if I build it by hand the wires connecting poles form rectangles, but because of the order the bots place them, they end up making Xs. Green and Red wire are tracked though.

I'm curious if they're using the same blueprint string that the community already decided on? Of if they were able to engineer something even better with access to the internal guts rather than just the mod API.

Maybe not each the , maybe just the seperate nets and it links them in normal placement order and just culls wires that would link separate nets. I do a lot with power switches and and specific power pole placement and it all copies properly.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a mod that allows you to mass-designate belts to get upgraded? Going through and updating all my yellow belts to red is painful and makes my rear end clench.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Klonan/upgrade-planner but it hasn't been updated for 0.15

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Maybe blueprints only remember wires that have been specifically added or removed, and everything else is automatic?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Do you guys typically stick with steel furnaces or electric furnaces? I can't make my mind up if I want to switch over to electric, as I can't figure out a good setup for smelting steel with the electric.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Firos posted:

Do you guys typically stick with steel furnaces or electric furnaces? I can't make my mind up if I want to switch over to electric, as I can't figure out a good setup for smelting steel with the electric.

Steel is very simple:

quote:

Steel
Because Steel takes 5 times as long to process as Iron Plates, you can have Iron Plate production feeding directly into Steel production Furnaces with inserters -- no need for belts!

Mirror on the opposite side if you need more production, therefore using both sides of the output belt
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=661582295

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
It seems like if you are going to do direct iron to steel you shouldn't do 1:1, right? Waste of iron furnaces?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
No, because it takes 5 times as long to smelt a plate of steel as it does a plate of iron, and steel needs 5 iron to smelt. The ratio is perfect (unless you change the difficulty settings to change those ratios).

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Firos posted:

Electric if you have serious module plans or an addiction to coal for plastic or that fancy new coal to oil thing. Steel is perfectly fine if you don't care about fuel consumption or modules which describes like the first 20 hours of a map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've never used electric furnaces, do they get more module slots than steel furnaces? I also wanna give electric furnaces a go cause it'd be nice not having to belt coal around everywhere, but it's not too big a pain since steel furnaces are way easier to make than electric ones, and there's a metric fucktonne of coal everywhere.

I'm also a bit disappointed cause I did the railworld option and it's given me massive 2mil patches which is a bit overkill as I'm not really forced to use rails much.