Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

https://gfycat.com/UniformLastAlleycat

Man, I could watch that right hand all day.

My two bit lee Wylie imitation paperboy hat is that there's a context to that right hand, with Wlad bouncing up on his feet and playing with distance and Anthony just kinda standing there. So it's not just a great punch because Wlad decided to throw it, he decided to throw it because the time was right. Anthony doesn't really react as the punch comes in, he raises his hand a bit butwho would expect that to stop a power shot from Dr. Steelhammer? He should have slipped or moved or something, but he didn't really see it coming and got nailed. And I'd say Wlad didn't show more of them because he didn't feel the timing or see the opportunity? So Wlad didn't throw more good punches because he wasn't winning the fight? I dunno, maybe that's a stupid tautology? If someone else has a better answer please tell me because I also would have liked to see Wlad be busier, but I have this feeling that's kind of wanting Wlad to just do better in general and only seeing the topmost layer of all the timing, distance, range, pacing, etc.

Edit - I can't figure out how to post the image on the new page, sorry guys.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Parker's top 10 level. He's athletic, has fast hands and good discipline. He's not an elite boxer though in terms of brain and footwork and he's small compared to the current top guys.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I'd say the 5 biggest fights that could be made in boxing right now would be:

1. Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin
2. Anthony Joshua vs Deontay Wilder
3. Andre Ward vs Sergei Kovalev II
4. Manny Pacquiao vs Terence Crawford
5. Keith Thurman vs the Errol Spence/Kell Brook winner

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Parker's top 10 level. He's athletic, has fast hands and good discipline. He's not an elite boxer though in terms of brain and footwork and he's small compared to the current top guys.

Parker is undefeated and has the WBO title. He's top 5, ranked anyway. You're right though, he's not on someone like Joshua's level. I'd like to see him fight someone like Luis Ortiz or Kubrat Pulev.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Parker is in that tragic spot of being good enough to be top 5, but probably not good enough to be top 3. He could pull something surprising i guess, but he seems just beneath the best.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

parker should move down. what does he weigh in at?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

In Parker's last three fights he's been 234, 240 and 247. For comparison, Joshua's last 3 weights were 243, 249 and 250. Klitschko has been 241, 245 and 240.

Parker isn't really small, he's 6'4" which is an entirely fair height for a heavyweight, it's about the same or taller than most of Klitschko's opponents over the last 10 years. It's just that in the current division, the top guys (Wlad, AJ, Wilder, Fury) are all 6'6" or more. That wouldn't be as much of a deal if he didn't have noticeably short arms, giving up 5" to Wlad, 6" to Joshua, 7" to Wilder and a whopping 9" to Fury.

Even all this considered, he's still a pretty big guy, just not exceptionally big. He's also not exceptionally skilled. Since today's heavyweight division is dominated by boxers with exceptional physical characteristics, you need to be able to be at their level or have the necessary skill set to make up for it.

There's hope for Parker though, he's only 25 and he's obviously getting better. And while he may not have the height or range of other fighters, all that weight is doing something for him. He might not have the KO percentage of Joshua, but he packs a pretty mean punch and if he's able to get that working for him he might be able do something unique. He's got plenty of time in his physical prime to do it too.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

thehappyprince posted:

parker should move down. what does he weigh in at?

He's 6'4 240, he's not small, but he's probably "average" sized in today's heavyweight landscape. In order to beat the big elite guys, he'd need some sort of extraordinary gift (speed, power, defence). He doesn't seem to have one, so he's probably screwed. He's a legit contender, but he's more aligned to the Ortiz/Pulev/Povetkin tier than the Joshua/Wilder/Fury/Klitschko elite tier.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Anyone see an angle of the punch at the opening of round 11 that was the beginning of the end? Lots of replays of stuff later in the round, just wondering if anyone has seen other footage of that. Looked like a right just straight down the middle.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I'd say the 5 biggest fights that could be made in boxing right now would be:

1. Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin
2. Anthony Joshua vs Deontay Wilder
3. Andre Ward vs Sergei Kovalev II
4. Manny Pacquiao vs Terence Crawford
5. Keith Thurman vs the Errol Spence/Kell Brook winner

Parker is undefeated and has the WBO title. He's top 5, ranked anyway. You're right though, he's not on someone like Joshua's level. I'd like to see him fight someone like Luis Ortiz or Kubrat Pulev.

Who wants to see pacman get in a ring in 2017? Yeesh

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watched the fight finally and that was one of the more entertaining HW fights I've seen in a good while.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Cause he dumb, an idiot

Really though?

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

He's still the biggest name in the sport by default.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
http://www.thefightcity.com/wladimir-klitschko-anthony-joshua-world-needs-boxing-rematch/

Good article, but regarding the stoppage I think it was consistent with modern boxing. Wlad on the ropes and turned away a bit. I can see the romance in a Wlad rally in 11/12 tho

Article also does better than me at context for the Wlad right hand, an eager to finish joshua that doesn't have the foot work or the experience to end the better moving Wlad. Once punched out, Joshua gets hurt, gets hesitant, and stands still when that left feint right comes in.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 1, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Wlad didn't get hit with a clean shot in the final flurry, but he clearly wasn't defending himself well so I'm OK with the fight being stopped before his brain got rattled yet again.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Boxing dudes, is Joshua legit or is Wlad old and lovely now? He looked nice.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Wlad looked the best he has in a few years, bouncing on his toes and moving around much more than expected. I think he took a lesson from the Fury fight and used movement to confuse an opponent with static footwork. In the end though 41 is 41. Wlad clearly put himself through the ringer preparing for this fight and it ended brutally, I don't know if he'll be able to come back the same way.

Joshua has some flaws in his defence but what he proved is that he thrives in a firefight. I don't see any current HW who is both tough and skilled enough to pick him apart, besides a certain semi-retired fat gypsy...

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

willie_dee posted:

Really though?

I was being sarcastic because boxing fans love to be like "why didn't the fighter just fight harder and win" without being able to really understand the state of the fighter. As has been said, Wlad has never been the best at finishing, but he's an experienced dude, so I assume he didn't just choose to turn down opportunities to throw his best KO punch. Another dude explained it better, but I just don't really respect the question.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

:shrug: both his fights last year were good

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Skip My Posts posted:

Boxing dudes, is Joshua legit or is Wlad old and lovely now? He looked nice.

He's absolutely legit. Wlad may have lost a step, but it didn't look like it against Joshua. I haven't seen him move as well as he did against Joshua since he was in his 20s, and while I always thought Wlad was a bit of a fraud, this fight dispelled that notion. He's (along with his brother Vitaly) by far the best heavyweight over the past 15 years.

As for Joshua, I've never seen someone his size move as well as he does. He's also won an Olympic gold medal and climbed to the top of the heavyweight division in under 5 years. The only other guys who have done that off the top of my head are Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, and George Foreman, who are all top 10 heavyweights of all time.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wanna make sure everyone realizes you can change the play back speed on you tube. Watch your favorite fight on the slowest setting, see every feint and footstep, then put the speed back up and lose your drat mind over truly great fighters.

I watched foreman stalk norton like that and it felt physically and mentally oppressive.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

what makes joshua legit now is we know he can not only go 12 rounds but carry his power 12 too. plus he showed he has a decent chin and recovery powers.

only gonna get better too.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I know this will never happens for financial reasons, but humour me in this hypothetical world.

Let's say we manage to cook down the alphabet soup of boxing promotions to just one promotion. One belt per weight class. Would that make it harder or easier for the actual good fights to happen?
Because currently it seems like a lot of guys tend to hide from good fighters behind mandatory challengers who usually aren't very good.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

MrBling posted:

I know this will never happens for financial reasons, but humour me in this hypothetical world.

Let's say we manage to cook down the alphabet soup of boxing promotions to just one promotion. One belt per weight class. Would that make it harder or easier for the actual good fights to happen?
Because currently it seems like a lot of guys tend to hide from good fighters behind mandatory challengers who usually aren't very good.

Edit: totally misread the statement. Having one promoter for all of high level boxing would pretty much be a one way ticket back to relevance in the US and great increases in popularity worldwide. Removing the different sanctioning organizations but keeping the promotional/managerial status quo would be a noticeable improvement but not the game-changer that a more centralized business structure is.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 1, 2017

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
A side issue is that you won't see as many usa heavy weight Champs because big boys go play football and basketball in numbers incomparable to boxing. I bet you could make many, many heavyweight divisions, from club fighter to champs, out everyone who tries to get into a single prominent college team.

It's like every great fighter recently has an old boxer raising him because it's not like kids grow up with a media or pop culture presence that makes them want to be boxers. And this doesn't even get into the ufc .

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 1, 2017

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

OK I'm stupid. I used to look for UFC full matches on YT and there aren't any basically so I assumed all rowdy ringsports protect their stuff the same.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

OK I'm stupid. I used to look for UFC full matches on YT and there aren't any basically so I assumed all rowdy ringsports protect their stuff the same.

Not everything is locked down in a monopoly :shobon:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

MrBling posted:

Boxing is too big for this to happen without a group with NFL-level funding and enough investors interested in establishing long-term associations that can outbid the current promoters across the line. There are just too many fighters (17 divisions, 4+ "world champions," dozens of regional organizations) with too many ways to make money for themselves fighting on local TV markets at home. For any one organization to dominate the current landscape of the sport you'd need the kind of money that can secure not only the Canelos and GGGs of the world but also the other 80% of the top ten in every division, and could also buy out 80% of the current TV dates used by other promoters.

You would need an organization that is basically the NBA of boxing where no fighter within the top 200 p4p would ever dream of fighting in another organization, and probably some local team structure to support fighters, put on local fights and build up fans that don't go away when individual fighters retire. The money and benefits would need to be really good to convince a lot of fighters to take a mandated schedule, instead of fighting mediocre competition as the "WBC world champion" on German TV.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 2, 2017

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

Managed to stay spoiler free and thank God. because that was loving incredible. Not an early stoppage at all considering how the round went. Bring on the rematch.

The torrents I got the card from had the fights split up across three files for some godunknown reason and staying spoiler-free involved having my partner go on boxrec and tell me the order of the fights from the other room so I knew which order to watch the first two files in.

Fantastic fight, though, I completely had Wlad winning it until that bonkers final round.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
According to ESPN-secondhand via a BLH comment- Chavez Jr. Is apparently doing hours of cardio in the MGM Grand fitness center to make weight so (continue to) bet the house on Canelo. Shame too cause I really want Hijo to beat Canelo's fat head in.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The SituAsian posted:

According to ESPN-secondhand via a BLH comment- Chavez Jr. Is apparently doing hours of cardio in the MGM Grand fitness center to make weight so (continue to) bet the house on Canelo. Shame too cause I really want Hijo to beat Canelo's fat head in.

Is there a way to bet against JCCJr making weight for any particular fight? Because I think I'd do that just about every time.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jr. is one of those bad guys in boxing who I could never really bring myself to dislike all that much. He's a goofball and he doesn't take the sport seriously, but I think I understand the plight of a boy living in the shadow of his legendary father. That said I don't care about him too much either, and was way more interested in and excited for his fight with Maravilla. I do think it's probably Canelo's most interesting fight to date, and I wouldn't mind seeing him get seriously tested. I hope jr's weight issues don't create a problem

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Weigh in is in 20 minutes but according to Nacho Beristain Chavez is at 164.5 and will weigh in at 164

https://twitter.com/Faitelson_ESPN/status/860530554067795970

edit: Officially weighed in at 164. Both did. Chavez didn't appear too drained imo. Memo Heredia is a magician

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 5, 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Chavez was just faking being unmotivated all this time to pull the Canelo fight

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Chavez was just faking being unmotivated all this time to pull the Canelo fight

:pray:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
ok i'm actually sort of keen for this now. please jr., please make this something special.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

doctor thodt posted:

Jr. is one of those bad guys in boxing who I could never really bring myself to dislike all that much. He's a goofball and he doesn't take the sport seriously, but I think I understand the plight of a boy living in the shadow of his legendary father. That said I don't care about him too much either, and was way more interested in and excited for his fight with Maravilla. I do think it's probably Canelo's most interesting fight to date, and I wouldn't mind seeing him get seriously tested. I hope jr's weight issues don't create a problem

Really?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I mean maybe I've missed the memo here lads but this fight is a joke

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
it's hard to see it post fact but when canelo fought mayweather it was a loving huge deal and super interesting

Lionel Richie posted:

he's pretty loving tough and watchable. i could see him giving canelo something to think about. even if canelo just uses him as a heavy bag i don't think anyone will be asking for their money back

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lionel Richie posted:

I thought that when it was first made, but Canelo's fighting a much bigger guy right now, the first time in his career. Jr has had motivation troubles in the past, but at his best he does know how to go in and brawl, it could get interesting. Even if Canelo wins, he'll probably have to make a show of it.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

it's hard to see it post fact but when canelo fought mayweather it was a loving huge deal and super interesting
I wasn't even thinking of the Mayweather fight tbh, most people were fairly sure he'd be handled comfortably in that one. The fights with Lara and Trout were seen as competitive and almost 50/50s (which they turned out to be). He gets poo poo because he blatantly wants nothing to do with Golovkin, but other than that and until recently he's actually been matched quite tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

chavez will quit/be pulled out after about 8 rounds imho