Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The third main mission is literally a fight in one room against a pretty meh enemy. So I beat the DLC on normal mode which was easy but a nice tour of what's in here. It's not exactly dense.

E: phone shot but this is a new heavy set. If targeted by more than one enemy your damage goes up allegedly.

JBP fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Just started playing this and god drat it's good. I just wish more people used axes because I find 100 katana wielding revenants for every axe one I find.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
According to my friend they nerfed Haze so it no longer deals 100% ki damage on hit.

Man, I have relearn how to fight with katanas. Thankfully backwave is still a guaranteed killing strike

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
So there's another 1GB patch after the 6GB patch they put out this morning. Neat.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WaltherFeng posted:

According to my friend they nerfed Haze so it no longer deals 100% ki damage on hit.

Man, I have relearn how to fight with katanas. Thankfully backwave is still a guaranteed killing strike

Really? It doesn't guarantee a knock down for the iai combo?

I guess it's for PvP because that would probably have been stupid and irritating. The Odachi is very good in missions (it's great under living weapon) and the stance change gimmick in its tree is pretty sweet. The three main missions are a little underwhelming in the DLC but the side missions are actually fairly meaty in general.

Contra Duck posted:

So there's another 1GB patch after the 6GB patch they put out this morning. Neat.

The patch has the expansion in it along with NG++ and some other bits and pieces. The second one happened while I was playing and I assume they broke something because I was going along fine without it. Could be pvp.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
What's the Odachi moveset? Lots of sweeping attacks?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Odachi swings are fairly similar to katana but slower and better range. Low is faster sweeps moving upwards, mid is across the body while mid heavy begins with a stab, high is vertical strikes. The cool thing is that you can set it up to chain any combo into a heavy attack or light attack from another stance.

It also has a move like the spear monkey jump, but instead of jumping over their head and just landing, you ride the sword downwards and cut the enemy in two :rms:

JBP fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 2, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The greatsword is a DLC weapon right? It just starts dropping like any other weapon if you own it?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The game gave me a green Odachi as the first drop of the new missions (you loot a body near the start and it drops). I assume the game wants you to take it for a spin.

Apparently if you start a brand new game the weapon is available from the outset as well.

JBP fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 2, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

JBP posted:

The game gave me a green Odachi as the first drop of the new missions. I assume the game wants you to take it for a spin.

Apparently if you start a brand new game the weapon is available from the outset as well.

Trying this today to find out!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Seems I can't access the DLC yet in the US

Edit: I had to go to the PSN store and click on the DLC pack. Boy I feel dumb.

Anyway. ODACHI shows up on the weapon selection screen right after the intro. Gives a STR bonus.

Norns fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 2, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

That's really weird, I thought it was the 2nd for everyone. It unlocked in Australia at the same time as JP I think.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm in the 5th region and I would like to try the Odachi - do I have to wait until the DLC or...?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Odachi are in the base game, but you might to have to kill a revenant using one to access them without starting a new game or opening the DLC. The new weapon is a ton of fun - although it's difficult to tell how much of that is the moveset and how much is the "tiny girl using sword four times her height" factor. :v:

Anyone put some actual effort into Path of the Demon? Does it make my Strong equipment redundant?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Odachi are in the base game, but you might to have to kill a revenant using one to access them without starting a new game or opening the DLC. The new weapon is a ton of fun - although it's difficult to tell how much of that is the moveset and how much is the "tiny girl using sword four times her height" factor. :v:

Anyone put some actual effort into Path of the Demon? Does it make my Strong equipment redundant?

Apparently the first mission in WotD is +10 divine drops so yeah. Plus there's a new reforging item for divine abilities

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
So what exactly do the magatama for the blacksmith do? I can't seem to find a straightforward answer online. (Other than just "upgrades blacksmith")

Magus42 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 2, 2017

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, the PvP is the gigantic pile of poo poo everyone knew it would be.

Not gonna bother with this tripe, even if you get plenty of glory, I'll wait to get the female skins.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
But is it laggy?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Horrifically so.

WaltherFeng posted:

Apparently the first mission in WotD is +10 divine drops so yeah. Plus there's a new reforging item for divine abilities

Well I've hosed myself either way. Was tweaking some equipment while experimenting with the Odachi and didn't notice I hadn't locked it, so when I sell off what I think is trash... :suicide:

The Path of the Demon revenants are absurdly strong. Getting some equipment back will take a while.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MMF Freeway posted:

But is it laggy?

Yep.

And loving EVERYONE had substitute just FYi.

Edit: Can I not buy the expansion in america yet? It says to go to the store but it just shows me the digital deluxe game which I bought, can't find the new sword anywhere either.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 2, 2017

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm in the 5th region and I would like to try the Odachi - do I have to wait until the DLC or...?

You can just get as many as you want from the Hidden Teahouse for a pittance of glory.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
oh god this centipede guy moves so fast

however:

quote:

"I will always find time to haunt you, my friend!"

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

poptart_fairy posted:

however:

Yeah I'm basically stuck on him, took a break after an hour of slamming my face into him over and over.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah I'm basically stuck on him, took a break after an hour of slamming my face into him over and over.

If you think that's bad just wait for the next two bosses. I didn't have too much trouble with centipede dude but the final boss took me literally an hour to beat. Fun fight, though, and one that, as far as I could tell, you couldn't cheese with poo poo like parrying.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Falcon2001 posted:

I've turned the game into something it isn't meant to be by using a living weapon build. If you're having trouble you can always quick slot some soul rocks and then use pleiades and whatever the other amrita gain talisman is then just go ham in living weapon mode. I'm kind of addicted to it now in the way that sloth was my crutch in my first playthrough.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I've only gotten to play a bit but my takeaway so far is gently caress it I'm respeccing again, odachis rule.

JBP posted:

I've turned the game into something it isn't meant to be by using a living weapon build. If you're having trouble you can always quick slot some soul rocks and then use pleiades and whatever the other amrita gain talisman is then just go ham in living weapon mode. I'm kind of addicted to it now in the way that sloth was my crutch in my first playthrough.

So living weapon build still owns after the nerfs huh?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MMF Freeway posted:

So living weapon build still owns after the nerfs huh?

It doesn't last forever now, but you can quickly eat a soul rock to max your gauge again. They also did something with elemental shots. I can fire off two shots and have a full gauge with Pleiades and absorption. Rather than playing Dynasty Warriors forever, you just need to reload. It's good enough that you can fight 3 of the new Yokai and and a Cyclops simultaneously without having to worry about poo poo going wrong if you are using the Shin Roku elk spirit. I also blew through all the bosses except for the last one. The last boss is awesome but hard as poo poo since you can't just mash away which nullifies my living weapon bullshit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Falcon2001 posted:

Spirit-mages eat him alive in exactly the same way they do everyone else who gets staggered by Confusion. I didn't go for a Crusher on my first run, and I can see that being slightly more of a challenge, but I ripped him apart fairly easily in one go.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Darth Walrus posted:

Spirit-mages eat him alive in exactly the same way they do everyone else who gets staggered by Confusion. I didn't go for a Crusher on my first run, and I can see that being slightly more of a challenge, but I ripped him apart fairly easily in one go.

I was trying to use the new greatsword weapon and ended up having to essentially dance around him in low stance to avoid his big whirly bullshit murdering me.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
"Hmm I'm level 35 and this twilight mission has a recommended level of 30. Let's give it a go!" - Me before I ran away like a coward.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Contra Duck posted:

"Hmm I'm level 35 and this twilight mission has a recommended level of 30. Let's give it a go!" - Me before I ran away like a coward.

The red sword rating is generally more important than the level rating. I've swanned into so many missions like "yeah I got this" and then had to run around like a psycho trying to collect my spirit animal and then use a branch to get the gently caress out.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

poptart_fairy posted:

however:

Can't say I ever expected Nioh of all games to drat near make me cry when that happened.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
In the new northern region all the kodama are wearing little coats :3:

edit:
*sees a guy standing out alone*
"Let's try out these new molotov cocktail items :kingsley: "
"Oh god las plagas :gonk: "
*gets grappled and one-shot to death*

I'm OK with this.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 3, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Man, I really miss the old Haze. It was one of my main tools for taking down human enemies.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kind of sucks that some very cool abilities are getting modified because of PvP.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yet they didn't touch poo poo like the spin ability. It's annoying because revenants are now tedious to fight again, as they just keep blocking with their ridiculous ki regeneration.

Also, is level 162 equipment the equivelant of 150+10 or what? I'm confused by all these new item levels, and re-equipping after my little SNAFU earlier is more irritating than it needs to be.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

poptart_fairy posted:

Yet they didn't touch poo poo like the spin ability. It's annoying because revenants are now tedious to fight again, as they just keep blocking with their ridiculous ki regeneration.

Also, is level 162 equipment the equivelant of 150+10 or what? I'm confused by all these new item levels, and re-equipping after my little SNAFU earlier is more irritating than it needs to be.

The other katana parry still owns because it does huge damage. I've switched to using the spear and Odachi I'm warrior of the east gear. Odachi heavy strikes will very quickly smash through Ki bars and I feel like the spear has been buffed to do more Ki damage, but that might just be me going wow the spear is great after never using it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm just irritated from a style point, really. Jamming your sword through their spine and twisting it as they're on the floor feels much more satisfying than a quick slash - the nerf is weirdly out of place given everything that hasn't been touched.

Also no joke here, the first person to post video evidence of them earning the Crusher title for Lady Maria without sloth will get a forum upgrade of their choice, for a person of their choice. :colbert:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I like to Lifeseal, Earth debuff and Kisplode Revenants. Plus Backwave owns them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Tweaked my build a bit to use a mix of Kingo and Warrior of the East with an Odachi and I'm having a better time of it, but playing catch-up with my gear is awful. I'm having dreadful luck with the POTD revenants - not seen anything higher than level 162 drop, let alone weapons with +1/2/3, etc. My damage stinks as a result.