Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/859479841116217344
Apparently the party of government has been renamed the Teresa May Strong and Stable party, and was campaigning in my neck of the woods this afternoon. Hmmmm.

It makes sense when you remember that the whole purpose of holding a general election is for Theresa may to be given a personal mandate as pm. This is very much a vanity thing for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jabby posted:

That does look very likely, although I'm not sure what it has to do with me thinking partisanship inherently ruins the utility of certain polling questions.

Also despite the near certainty of a Tory majority the whole hope is a lie thing is played out as gently caress, and the closeness of the race will have impacts after the election. I guess if you're not interested in discussing the election you can do something else?

It was more about how you try to excuse every gently caress up that the Labour front bench makes, like clockwork.

I dunno, the election just isn't very interesting to me, you're right. It's more of the same, further proof that the British public are too poorly informed to be trusted with electing representatives in their best interests, and too complacent & disengaged to put the work in themselves (see Pissflaps regular proclamations that asking more of him than to put an X in a box come election time for one example). Better to just enjoy the horrifically dumb poo poo like that pillock cutting up his Labour membership because the NEC are going to investigate if a dodgy racist Twitter account belongs to a candidate or not safe in the knowledge that none of this actually matters.

Which sounds more defeatist than I actually am, I firmly believe that a better world is possible, just not in the foreseeable future and certainly it won't come through the ballot box. You're not changing attitudes without improving education, encourage and improve skills like the ability to critically absorb and judge the worth of sources, and strengthen class consciousness.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/RogMull/status/859425371141402624

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Forkboy mate, you seem a bit depressed.

Have you considered letting the light of Jeremy Corbyn, who is good and strong and your friend, into your heart

?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Any idea how the Lib Dems would send election material addressed in my name? Just picking my name off the electoral roll?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Any idea how the Lib Dems would send election material addressed in my name? Just picking my name off the electoral roll?

Did you give them your details in 2010 maybe?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Yeah if only he'd have got a much worse coffee at roughly the same price from a local greasy spoon like a proper member of the working class, right? loving tory pricks.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Worst man walks into a bar joke of this election campaign so far.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can get as good as if not better coffee at everywhere that isn't costa or starbucks. And probably cheaper.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That certainly sounds like something a human being would say.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Jean-Paul you dont scare us

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

It was more about how you try to excuse every gently caress up that the Labour front bench makes, like clockwork.

I dunno, the election just isn't very interesting to me, you're right. It's more of the same, further proof that the British public are too poorly informed to be trusted with electing representatives in their best interests, and too complacent & disengaged to put the work in themselves (see Pissflaps regular proclamations that asking more of him than to put an X in a box come election time for one example). Better to just enjoy the horrifically dumb poo poo like that pillock cutting up his Labour membership because the NEC are going to investigate if a dodgy racist Twitter account belongs to a candidate or not safe in the knowledge that none of this actually matters.

Which sounds more defeatist than I actually am, I firmly believe that a better world is possible, just not in the foreseeable future and certainly it won't come through the ballot box. You're not changing attitudes without improving education, encourage and improve skills like the ability to critically absorb and judge the worth of sources, and strengthen class consciousness.
Ah, the posting of a man who lost hope

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm the twerking class.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That certainly sounds like something a human being would say.
you can tell it's authentic because he typed out the northern accent and everything

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Jean-Paul you dont scare us

Speak for yourself

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Darth Walrus posted:

The Tories are trying to turn us into a martyrdom culture, and are having an impressive amount of success.

if only they would do the polite thing and go first

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I'm the twerking class.
Where does that go in the Marxian model?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Namtab posted:

Speak for yourself

the luxembourgies will know what's what

when we sink the Archiduc

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm working class and earlier today I consumed a flat white I purchased from Costa Coffee.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I'm working class and earlier today I consumed a flat white I purchased from Costa Coffee.

I feel you're a class traitor or bourgie

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Fundamentally wealthier than the petit buttgeoisie.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Well, a) I quite like most of the Labour front bench and it annoys me to see the decent politicians get attacked for poo poo that Doesn't Actually Matter, and b) in the post you quoted I was making a general comment about political polls that wasn't specific to Labour or the front bench.

And yes you do seem pretty down. Remember that 'hope is a lie' is just a meme, not an actual healthy philosophy.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

jabby posted:

And yes you do seem pretty down. Remember that 'hope is a lie' is just a meme, not an actual healthy philosophy.

That's madness, doc

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

OwlFancier posted:

You can get as good as if not better coffee at everywhere that isn't costa or starbucks. And probably cheaper.

Even the hipsteriest coffee places ive been to price their coffee within 50p of their local starbucks.
And they generally have much better coffee, if only for the fact they either roast it inhouse or close by.

(Thougj to be fair if all you want is a cup of caffeine and black drip you cant beat maccys or bucks for value)

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

I'm the twerking class.

Guavanaut posted:

Center stage obviously.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I see the Guardian are trying really really hard to make Chipsgate a Thing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I continue to maintain that starbucks and costa serve invariably minging coffee and you can get equivalently minging coffee anywhere in the country. Or make your own with some powder and a kettle. Except why would you when you can have beef tea instead.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

Did you give them your details in 2010 maybe?

never ever given a Lib Dem my details

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

never ever given a Lib Dem my details

You never know which of your family, friends or acquaintances could be a lib dem. You may have unwittingly given a lib dem your details even today.

Always be vigilant.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Angepain posted:

I see the Guardian are trying really really hard to make Chipsgate a Thing

It's dumb and they shouldn't, both because it is dumb and because as politically irrelevant as it would be, it's nice to have a real double standard in the press to point to.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

You never know which of your family, friends or acquaintances could be a lib dem. You may have unwittingly given a lib dem your details even today.

Always be vigilant.

I don't believe the Lib Dems are that clever to sign people up in cognito

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Maybe you did it when you were drunk and now can't remember? I've dont some crazy things like that myself when I used to drink.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MikeCrotch posted:

Forkboy mate, you seem a bit depressed.

Have you considered letting the light of Jeremy Corbyn, who is good and strong and your friend, into your heart

?
I'd be happier if he wasn't so poo poo and centrist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He's not very centrist other than the bit where he is actually a social democrat.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

Always be vigilant.

TinTower watches.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

Maybe you did it when you were drunk and now can't remember? I've dont some crazy things like that myself when I used to drink.

they may still be salty about this

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

He's not very centrist other than the bit where he is actually a social democrat.

That's a pretty :psyduck: statement right there.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Wait, poo poo, you don't drink?

No wonder you're so loving miserable all the time.

Have a beer before you post.

Actually, don't. With how literally you take everything, and how much you post,you would only become a burden to the NHS.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

namesake posted:

That's a pretty :psyduck: statement right there.

He's centrist if you include tankies, like the tories are centrist if you include military juntas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The Guardian posted:

Theresa May was greeted by dozens of protesters shouting “Tory scum” as she visited a social club on a housing estate in Brislington, in Bristol. She gave a speech to Conservative activists in the club with the curtains shut and police guarding the entrance, while curious local residents gathered outside - some with makeshift anti-Tory signs.

:allears:

I bet most reports don't mention the protestors, the police guard, or the fact that the audience were just activists.

• Locked thread