Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I dunno how a bar disciplinary hearing works, is it like a regular trial in that if Chuck puts up a witness Jimmy gets to cross examine them too? Because if Hamlin goes up to testify wrt the contents of the tape and having heard jimmy smashing it, that brings anything else hamlin knows into play.

I think a big piece of information that can come out is just how much power Chuck's got over Hamlin. It was laid out pretty clearly in S1 that if he cashes out of the firm, HHM is toast and hundreds of lawyers, paralegals, and interns are unemployed - Chuck can straight up kill his company at will and is mentally unstable enough to do it. That leverage is why Howard, say, publicly took the heat for denying Jimmy employment without even an interview after he passed the bar, and played along with Chuck's delusions and the tape sting, paying for 24/7 PI coverage, et al. Anyone who didn't own 51% of a huge law firm would've been cut loose long, long ago and he's probably been keeping a lid on the true extent of it as best he can for a while now. Maybe lying under oath about it is the last straw for Hamlin. Or maybe it isn't and he goes down with Chuck in the end. Which would be a real shame since he's legitimately one of the least terrible people caught up in this drama.

E:

Sagebrush posted:

If they really wanted to go down that road, yes, it would be fairly easy to detect the faked documents. A trained professional could likely spot the differences between prints from Chuck's printer (original) and ones made at the copy shop (doctored). Jimmy might be superhumanly good with an X-Acto knife but it's more likely that there would be subtle shifts in the text baseline and spacing that, again, a pro would be able to notice. But most importantly, every large commercial printer and copier actually tags its prints (as an anti-counterfeiting measure) with a nearly-invisible code of faint yellow dots, including the printer model and serial number:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printer_steganography

So all they have to do is have a tech examine the documents that Chuck claims are doctored, discover that their coding indicates they were printed on a Huge rear end Xerox owned by Discount Copy Shop instead of a personal laser printer, and the evidence against Jimmy is irrefutable.

I'd be absolutely shocked if the showrunners actually addressed this though. It would just make things a shitload more complicated and the hidden coding isn't a widely-known thing among the public anyway.

I don't think the documents he forged are around. He altered the documents Chuck was referencing when drafting other paperwork, then switched them back with the unmolested originals while Chuck was out of the house at the mesa verde hearing. The same papers were in Chuck's home office the entire time, no chance of him having copied the altered ones in any way that would be useful. The tampered ones were only around long enough for Chuck to type 1216 on a bunch of filings and gently caress everything up. I'd be surprised if Jimmy MERELY shredded them and didn't torch the confetti afterwards, since he drat well knows Chuck can and will jigsaw shredded documents back together.

Javid fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
edit

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 2, 2017

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
^^Dude, promo stuff is considered spoilers.

Anyway something I didn't see mentioned here was that second thing Mike got from Chuck's, Jimmy seemed surprised and excited about it, I think Mike said he found it in Chuck's address book in his desk, so probably just contact information. Could be someone Jimmy will use as a character witness or maybe something that could be the location of the tape.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Javid posted:

I think a big piece of information that can come out is just how much power Chuck's got over Hamlin. It was laid out pretty clearly in S1 that if he cashes out of the firm, HHM is toast and hundreds of lawyers, paralegals, and interns are unemployed - Chuck can straight up kill his company at will and is mentally unstable enough to do it. That leverage is why Howard, say, publicly took the heat for denying Jimmy employment without even an interview after he passed the bar, and played along with Chuck's delusions and the tape sting, paying for 24/7 PI coverage, et al. Anyone who didn't own 51% of a huge law firm would've been cut loose long, long ago and he's probably been keeping a lid on the true extent of it as best he can for a while now. Maybe lying under oath about it is the last straw for Hamlin. Or maybe it isn't and he goes down with Chuck in the end. Which would be a real shame since he's legitimately one of the least terrible people caught up in this drama.

I would be very surprised if HHM didn't have provisions in their partnership agreement that protected the firm in the case of a partner being disbarred or suspended. I am sure Chuck would sign up for a clause that says "get disbarred or suspended"="fired w/minimal severance and no buyout" because he could not conceive of that applying to him.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Brightman posted:

^^Dude, promo stuff is considered spoilers.

Anyway something I didn't see mentioned here was that second thing Mike got from Chuck's, Jimmy seemed surprised and excited about it, I think Mike said he found it in Chuck's address book in his desk, so probably just contact information. Could be someone Jimmy will use as a character witness or maybe something that could be the location of the tape.

Maybe Rebecca(?), the ex wife?

That would prob be lol

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Am I reading too much into this?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Griefor posted:

I guess that depends...what exactly is your read on it?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
A robot will eat them.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That's a timedoor to the world 2024.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Griefor posted:

In this shot, Jimmy and Kim are both dressed in their lawyers' suits, carrying briefcases, drawing attention to the aspects of their characters that are similar (they are both lawyers). However, they are walking through a double-door with a mullion prominently placed between them. This symbolizes that there is a wall between them -- not a literal wall, of course, here it is just an image that looks like one -- that separates them somehow. The double doors separated in this manner could in fact be interpreted as two separate doors, as though there are two potential paths that lawyers could take in their careers (not just different paths through the city but metaphorical paths, doing different things and working with different types of clients). Therefore in this shot Jimmy and Kim are shown to be two lawyers, similar in many ways, currently walking (working) side by side but on two different paths (career trajectories). But what trajectories could those be? Kim is on the right side of the shot, in the "right" door, and Jimmy is on the left. "Right" does not only refer to a relative physical orientation, but is also a synonym for "correct" or "good." Kim is on the "good" "career path". Jimmy's positioning on the left is far more subtle -- in ancient European culture dating back to the Roman era, upon which modern Western society is based, the left side became associated with evil. The Latin term for left, "sinister," survives today as an adjective used for those people who are devious, conniving, plotting to commit misdeeds. Thus, we can infer that Jimmy being on the left places him on a more "sinister" "career path" (remember, not just a physical path out of the court building) than Kim, who is on the "right" (literally and figuratively) side.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Who the gently caress is that guy sittin in the doorway on a chair on wheels? That's like an accident waiting to happen.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

notthegoatseguy posted:

Who the gently caress is that guy sittin in the doorway on a chair on wheels? That's like an accident waiting to happen.

Chair on wheels is obviously a reference to Hector Salamanca.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

All I can think of is how awesome it's going to be to binge rewatch BCS and then go right into a binge rewatch of BrBa. I'll never sleep again.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sagebrush posted:

In this shot, Jimmy and Kim are both dressed in their lawyers' suits, carrying briefcases, drawing attention to the aspects of their characters that are similar (they are both lawyers). However, they are walking through a double-door with a mullion prominently placed between them. This symbolizes that there is a wall between them -- not a literal wall, of course, here it is just an image that looks like one -- that separates them somehow. The double doors separated in this manner could in fact be interpreted as two separate doors, as though there are two potential paths that lawyers could take in their careers (not just different paths through the city but metaphorical paths, doing different things and working with different types of clients). Therefore in this shot Jimmy and Kim are shown to be two lawyers, similar in many ways, currently walking (working) side by side but on two different paths (career trajectories). But what trajectories could those be? Kim is on the right side of the shot, in the "right" door, and Jimmy is on the left. "Right" does not only refer to a relative physical orientation, but is also a synonym for "correct" or "good." Kim is on the "good" "career path". Jimmy's positioning on the left is far more subtle -- in ancient European culture dating back to the Roman era, upon which modern Western society is based, the left side became associated with evil. The Latin term for left, "sinister," survives today as an adjective used for those people who are devious, conniving, plotting to commit misdeeds. Thus, we can infer that Jimmy being on the left places him on a more "sinister" "career path" (remember, not just a physical path out of the court building) than Kim, who is on the "right" (literally and figuratively) side.

I know this is facetious but it probably was the intention, more or less.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Hector Salamanca is a thin skinned piss baby. I enjoy watching him taking everything so personally.

Also, he drinks diet loving coke. Perfecto!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Herv posted:

Hector Salamanca is a thin skinned piss baby. I enjoy watching him taking everything so personally.

Also, he drinks diet loving coke. Perfecto!

Self-respect covers the pancreas.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Looking forward to the inevitable crippling of fucko Salamanca, and Gus taunting him over it.

Sucks that they kill each other in the end. Gus has to be my favourite character in the BrBa/BCS universe. I wish he won.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

timp posted:

I guess that depends...what exactly is your read on it?

Just Jimmy & Kim with an EXIT sign above them. We know their relationship isn't going to last already but it still seems ominous.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Secret Agent X23 posted:

But he did, in fact, destroy a cassette tape. The statement doesn't say anything about how or why said tape might be significant, or even that it was significant in any way. I think the point there is simply that Chuck immediately homes in on the very word that Kim changed.

It’s also ridiculously petty. Who cares two‐buck cassette tape?

The Human Crouton posted:

What if everyone on the board secretly hates Chuck, and the though that he made their careers is a misnomer because every lawyer had to put up with his bullshit to make it in that town?

Even if they have no ill will toward Chuck, if Chuck isn’t behaving “like the Chuck I knew”, they could focus on his illness or his plotting and let Jimmy slip by.

Sagebrush posted:

But most importantly, every large commercial printer and copier actually tags its prints (as an anti-counterfeiting measure) with a nearly-invisible code of faint yellow dots, including the printer model and serial number:

Isn’t that only colour printers?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I really loved how Jimmy's apology was an attempt for Chuck to realize Jimmy's trying to put those words in his mouth, in his head, and then Chuck adds in the cost of the tape. At that point, hope just drains from Jimmy.

Man, this loving show :allears:

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

and then Chuck adds in the cost of the tape.

[chuck]
Cassette tape.
[/chuck]

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Herv posted:

[chuck]
Cassette tape.
[/chuck]

*Jimmy stare*

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Platystemon posted:

It’s also ridiculously petty. Who cares two‐buck cassette tape?

Of course it's ridiculously petty in and of itself, especially when it's confirmed that the original still exists. If it had been the only copy, the two bucks wouldn't have fixed anything, anyway.

Even so, it's still an item of personal property that belonged to Chuck. And I might have missed it, but I'm pretty sure there hasn't been one single word posted here protesting that it's out of character for Chuck to sit there and insist on including that two bucks in the amount Jimmy has to pay and spending time figuring out how to describe it to his satisfaction in Jimmy' statement. I'm guessing he had some kind of legalistic reason for wanting to make sure that was done "just right." Maybe he figures the specific mention of "a cassette tape" will give him a stronger case before the Bar Association at Jimmy's hearing: "He admits in writing to destroying a tape. And THIS..." (brandishes actual original tape) "...is what he wanted to destroy!!!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's great to see Don Eladio again, that actor is fan-tast-ico. I'd watch three seasons of Eladio teasing Hector.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I like Gus's representative's insistence that he wants to attend, but can't.

The next time Don Eladio and Gus get together is in S4E10, and it's the last time too.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Griefor posted:

Just Jimmy & Kim with an EXIT sign above them. We know their relationship isn't going to last already but it still seems ominous.

Well, I clearly remember in this same episode Gus entering a building with a chicken above him and he clearly aint no chicken.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I don't think there's any deep meaning behind it, but it was interesting the contrast between Gus's precision about things and Chuck's. Gus makes sure the money is packed and wrapped just right and Eladio likes it.

Chuck is precise about the cost of the tape down to the penny, and does it just to be as big a jerk as he can to Jimmy.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

CaptainCaveman posted:

I don't think there's any deep meaning behind it, but it was interesting the contrast between Gus's precision about things and Chuck's. Gus makes sure the money is packed and wrapped just right and Eladio likes it.

Chuck is precise about the cost of the tape down to the penny, and does it just to be as big a jerk as he can to Jimmy.

Oh, yeah, being a jerk to Jimmy is definitely part of it, no doubt about it. But I still think it's likely he wants to get "I destroyed Chuck's cassette tape" (or whatever the exact wording is) explicitly in writing from Jimmy. I'm not proposing that it's going to make or break the case against Jimmy, but I think it could help strengthen it enough (at least potentially, depending on how the hearing might play out) that Chuck feels it's worthwhile to spend a couple minutes quibbling over it. So I guess what I'm saying is, why not both?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
So the bar hearing results in some bullshit that Jimmy can't practice the law under the name James McGill anymore and he has to come up with a new name to get around that. Done.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

So the bar hearing results in some bullshit that Jimmy can't practice the law under the name James McGill anymore and he has to come up with a new name to get around that. Done.

It's going to be the opposite. Chuck ruins the McGill name, so Jimmy works under an assumed name.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Another possible extra reason for making sure the amount was exact is perhaps so Chuck can prove to everyone in the room that he's not the type to make small mistakes with numbers :smug:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Have you considered that maybe Chuck is just hard up for money and with that $2 he can manage to pay Ernie for another week???

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

drunken officeparty posted:

Have you considered that maybe Chuck is just hard up for money and with that $2 he can manage to pay Ernie for another week???

Ernie got fired.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Ernie got fired.

And HHM is paying Ernie, and Chuck, and the PIs

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Ernie got fired.

Because he couldn't afford him anymore

gosh its like you guys dont even pay attention when watching tv

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Another possible extra reason for making sure the amount was exact is perhaps so Chuck can prove to everyone in the room that he's not the type to make small mistakes with numbers :smug:

Actually, I hope he is thinking that, because then my reaction is, "LOL, no way you're gonna remember exactly how much you paid for a loving cassette tape that's probably been lying around the house since 1987."

(...and then he produces the receipt...)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why would the bar ever assign that particular form of punishment? It's ridiculous and I doubt it's something that could be legally enforced, even by a team of lawyers. Remember in season 1 when Jimmy put up the billboard that looked just like HHM's, but with JMM, in the same shade of Hamlindigo Blue? The judge said that he was allowed to practice under his own name, and he just couldn't copy their branding.

Unless you mean that Chuck will somehow win a civil suit that bars Jimmy from using the McGill name, and that seems even more preposterous.

I imagine that Jimmy operates as Saul Goodman for the reasons that he stated in Breaking Bad -- he thinks he can market himself better as a Jewish lawyer. He's going to have some break with his brother at some point, but the decision to quit associating himself with McGill will be his alone.

Platystemon posted:

Isn’t that only colour printers?

All commercial color printers and photocopiers, yes, but Wikipedia suggests that some black-and-white printers do it too.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 3, 2017

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Bad rear end, mass-murdering, drug smuggling kingpin, but Gus still throws like a six year-old girl playing tee-ball.

I really liked that bit.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

jfood posted:

Bad rear end, mass-murdering, drug smuggling kingpin, but Gus still throws like a six year-old girl playing tee-ball.

I really liked that bit.

He got it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

jfood posted:

I really liked that bit.

Well, he is a little limp-wristed. :v:

• Locked thread