Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think it's more like Windows RT, Chromebook edition

Not super psyched about using Windows app store. My windows 10 laptop works just fine with the app store poo poo turned off. Without the windows login, Windows app store, Windows 10 is just Windows 8.1 with a dark theme (and I like it that way)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What could cause a laptop to drop keystrokes under heavy load?

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
I may be getting a laptop for school, (online systems engineering program). What is the consensus on the HP ZBook line? I want to expand my options beyond Dell/Lenovo.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Looks like a better design than the surface book, i.e. something I'd actually use... but a thousand freakin bucks for an i5, 4G RAM and 128 SSD? Maybe stop making oddball resolution LCDs that crank up the BoM???

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

New Windows Surface laptop being announced tomorrow got leaked

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/1/15512024/microsoft-surface-laptop-specifications-leak

It looks great but no USB C/Thunderbolt. Also it doesn't run Windows, it's some weird version of Windows that competes with Chromebooks.

Microsoft making stupid decisions; more at any time Microsoft makes an announcement.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mu Zeta posted:

New Windows Surface laptop being announced tomorrow got leaked

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/1/15512024/microsoft-surface-laptop-specifications-leak

It looks great but no USB C/Thunderbolt. Also it doesn't run Windows, it's some weird version of Windows that competes with Chromebooks.

What a bunch of bizarre decisions. I don't run a single application from the windows store. Why would you pay extra for not having the ability to run any exe???

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Aero 15 review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tpe_6ILN5k

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

sincx posted:

I actually bought two Surface 2 RT machines for my relatives and they both love it--familiar Windows interface, free Office, and generally immune from malware. I would seriously consider Windows 10 S in similar situations.

Also, you can upgrade any Windows 10 S laptop to Windows 10 Pro for free until the end of the year (it's $49 after that).

So you might be able to get Win 10 Pro for the same price as (or lower than) Home.

Thats actually not bad as long as its not Win10 S Pro that adds some minor office upgrades or something.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Verge loves that surface laptop.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Edit: Dave's usually on-point, but he gets a big thing wrong in this video that he didn't get wrong in the Aero 14 video he did, which is weird. He says it's predominantly plastic, when the laptop is mostly aluminum, as other reviewers have pointed out. It's the same as the Aero 14, where Dave correctly pointed out it was aluminum. Weird.

Notebookcheck has their review up, too: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Gigabyte-Aero-15-7700HQ-GTX-1060-FHD-Laptop-Review.215364.0.html

Slow screen is a little disappointing, though Gigabyte has repeatedly said this isn't a 'gaming' laptop, so fair enough I suppose.

Notebook hits 92c on the CPU in an unrealistic stress-test situation (full CPU+GPU load), so I suspect that with a solid repaste and undervolt, under typical CPU load like rendering that'll come down to the mid-to-high 80's which is okay for something this size/thinness.

It's all a game of trade-offs, really, between this and its competitors (XPS 15 and Razer Blade). Bezel-less, GPU power, premium build quality, pick 2.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 3, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Mu Zeta posted:

The Verge loves that surface laptop.

The Verge loves anything with a gimmick - they'd have been sold at the fabric bit

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
the verge also has many articles written for and by idiots

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Microsoft has really struggled to succeed at the low end without cannibalizing their bread and butter enterprise customer sales/support. First there were netbooks and windows 7 starter edition, and they managed to kill netbooks for a while (they had zero profit margin and were threatening to kill the wintel duopol in a race to the bottom) but resurfaced as Chromebooks.

Then there was a small army of cheap, but lovely build quality and beyond-low-spec netbooks with Windows 8.x. And then Chromebooks came on the scene with their vastly cheaper ARM SOC and vastly better touchpad driver which exploded and took over a huge chunk of the laptop market.

I really don't see the point of Windows S over a Chromebook; with a chromebook you already get a polished experience plus you probably already have a gmail account. Windows S seems like more of the same, but instead you get crippled windows experience with the downside that your OS isn't unix-y out of the box. Definitely a wait-and-see approach on Windows S

The only windows store app I have is the weather widget which I think comes preinstalled and you don't need a microsoft account to use it. I forgot I had it until I went looking for it.

It's really dang hard to compete with Free. I might be interested in a Windows S laptop if the hardware is good and there's an option to upgrade to Windows Pro. Given how garbage-poo poo the windows app store apps have been, unless things improve, quickly, I don't see this being anything more than throwing more poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks. Time will tell, though.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

sister in america just sent this to me asking if this is a good deal and honestly i can't tell. her main criteria are below USD600 and portable with okay processing power (she probably will load chess software and a bunch of MS Word and Chrome at the same time but definitely no steam games). What are goon views, is there anything cheaper?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Oh dear god no don't buy an AMD laptop for that much money unless it comes with sexual favors. It's also HP, which is double-cancer, especially at the low price points. They cut a TON of corners on their sub-$1000 laptops and only slightly less on their $1000+ ones. At that price point they're targeting people who buy cheap laptops with the thought that if they crap out after a year you'll just buy another cheap laptop.

This'll probably work really well for her: https://www.techbargains.com/deal/74918/dell-inspiron-15-5000-deals

It's a dual core processor, but it's twin core with four threads and a base/turbo clock that'll completely wreck that AMD laptop. She'll have to follow the directions on that link to the letter and checkout as a Guest.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 3, 2017

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Microsoft has really struggled to succeed at the low end without cannibalizing their bread and butter enterprise customer sales/support. First there were netbooks and windows 7 starter edition, and they managed to kill netbooks for a while (they had zero profit margin and were threatening to kill the wintel duopol in a race to the bottom) but resurfaced as Chromebooks.

Then there was a small army of cheap, but lovely build quality and beyond-low-spec netbooks with Windows 8.x. And then Chromebooks came on the scene with their vastly cheaper ARM SOC and vastly better touchpad driver which exploded and took over a huge chunk of the laptop market.

I really don't see the point of Windows S over a Chromebook; with a chromebook you already get a polished experience plus you probably already have a gmail account. Windows S seems like more of the same, but instead you get crippled windows experience with the downside that your OS isn't unix-y out of the box. Definitely a wait-and-see approach on Windows S

The only windows store app I have is the weather widget which I think comes preinstalled and you don't need a microsoft account to use it. I forgot I had it until I went looking for it.

It's really dang hard to compete with Free. I might be interested in a Windows S laptop if the hardware is good and there's an option to upgrade to Windows Pro. Given how garbage-poo poo the windows app store apps have been, unless things improve, quickly, I don't see this being anything more than throwing more poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks. Time will tell, though.

Yeah, a lot of the low-end Windows tablets/devices with Atom Zxxxx SoCs were real dogs. Also note that most CBs come with Intel, not ARM CPUs.

That's a good point about Windows "S" being "crippled" Windows; as it stands, if I'm happy with ChromeOS now, why would I want a Windows equivalent that can't do anything that you'd want to do with Windows? I mean this might spur the addition of many common applications to the Windows Store which may address this issue, but still, as soon as you run into a situation where there's some software that doesn't get added to the Store and you can't use on your "S"-book (or whatever) then you're back where we started with ChromeOS.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Atomizer posted:

Yeah, a lot of the low-end Windows tablets/devices with Atom Zxxxx SoCs were real dogs. Also note that most CBs come with Intel, not ARM CPUs.

That's a good point about Windows "S" being "crippled" Windows; as it stands, if I'm happy with ChromeOS now, why would I want a Windows equivalent that can't do anything that you'd want to do with Windows? I mean this might spur the addition of many common applications to the Windows Store which may address this issue, but still, as soon as you run into a situation where there's some software that doesn't get added to the Store and you can't use on your "S"-book (or whatever) then you're back where we started with ChromeOS.

Well, on the flipside, if you are not yet invested in either, why go for ChromeOS if Windows S gives you the same things plus the option of running full Office? ChromeOS does not seem terribly hard to compete with, on the grounds that it really does not attempt much of a walled garden or lockin.

Magwai
Aug 16, 2002
Snail Priest

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Well, on the flipside, if you are not yet invested in either, why go for ChromeOS if Windows S gives you the same things plus the option of running full Office? ChromeOS does not seem terribly hard to compete with, on the grounds that it really does not attempt much of a walled garden or lockin.

It probably depends on what you want to do with it. The option for full Office is nice. But between being stuck with Windows App stores vs Android App stores, I'd probably lean towards Android at this point. Though part of it is that I don't think Windows doesn't have an OpenVPN Client that isn't the desktop app. So if I wanted to connect to VPN, a Windows S laptop would probably not work for me as a machine to do small remote work tasks.

Edit: There is the option on at least the Surface to upgrade to W10 Pro, Though price wise, a fully loaded XPS13 would match a fully loaded Surface laptop for a few hundred less: https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/02/surface-laptop-vs-the-competition/

Magwai fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 3, 2017

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oh dear god no don't buy an AMD laptop for that much money unless it comes with sexual favors. It's also HP, which is double-cancer, especially at the low price points. They cut a TON of corners on their sub-$1000 laptops and only slightly less on their $1000+ ones. At that price point they're targeting people who buy cheap laptops with the thought that if they crap out after a year you'll just buy another cheap laptop.

This'll probably work really well for her: https://www.techbargains.com/deal/74918/dell-inspiron-15-5000-deals

It's a dual core processor, but it's twin core with four threads and a base/turbo clock that'll completely wreck that AMD laptop. She'll have to follow the directions on that link to the letter and checkout as a Guest.

Thanks!! I've forwarded the info to her and hopefully she follows your advice

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Well you can use more or less the full Office suite (except Access I guess) on ChromeOS just by going to office.com. Beyond that, if you want a secure system and you're fine with ChromeOS or Windows "S"s capabilities, then I'd suggest the former, because even with the latter's software limitations it's still running Windows beneath that (and it's just an "in-app" payment away from unlocking full Windows Pro) and between the two I'm sure ChromeOS is far more secure.

I mean I use both OSs for different purposes, and there's no way I'd switch over to all-Windows just because "Win S" is going to be a thing. It doesn't do anything I need Windows to do, and ChromeOS does everything else better.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Atomizer posted:

Well you can use more or less the full Office suite (except Access I guess) on ChromeOS just by going to office.com. Beyond that, if you want a secure system and you're fine with ChromeOS or Windows "S"s capabilities, then I'd suggest the former, because even with the latter's software limitations it's still running Windows beneath that (and it's just an "in-app" payment away from unlocking full Windows Pro) and between the two I'm sure ChromeOS is far more secure.

I mean I use both OSs for different purposes, and there's no way I'd switch over to all-Windows just because "Win S" is going to be a thing. It doesn't do anything I need Windows to do, and ChromeOS does everything else better.

Having been in an o365 organization while using Linux for years I can tell you that office.com is not a good substitute. It is probably about as good as a cloud office suite gets at the moment, but browser apps are not quite that far along yet that they really measure up to the native applications (which, granted, have on the level of 30 years of development behind them). Sufficient for my occasional use, but it was a bit of a pain even then.

Magwai posted:

It probably depends on what you want to do with it. The option for full Office is nice. But between being stuck with Windows App stores vs Android App stores, I'd probably lean towards Android at this point. Though part of it is that I don't think Windows doesn't have an OpenVPN Client that isn't the desktop app. So if I wanted to connect to VPN, a Windows S laptop would probably not work for me as a machine to do small remote work tasks.

A bit surprising that OpenVPN hasn't gotten on there yet (I can't find anything either), as VPN software is one of those which is otherwise pretty neat off of the store (I've had occasion to use a few), since it packages them up nicely and enforces that they show up in the appropriate network settings panel, rather than work as a general-purpose piece of software. Some day maybe~

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I can quite happily live inside of Chrome but I can't say the same for Edge/IE. That's what it comes down to for me.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I own 2 Surfaces and they are great devices but man what the gently caress are they thinking with this Laptop? 1 USB port? Gonna cost $1500 CAD to get the version thats worth buying. Not spending $1000 and only getting 4gb of RAM. There's only so much I'm willing to pay for thin/looks nice.

On that point, I really wanna trade in my bulky Toshiba for something more thin/lighter. At least an i5/8gb/256gb SSD, dgpu and must have a numpad. Suggestions? I can probably skimp on the dgpu as the main reason I want it is to play poo poo when I'm at the girlfriends (long distance thing) but we're soon moving in together so it wont matter in a couple months.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 3, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So you're the guy that keeps the numpad showing up like herpes.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Having been in an o365 organization while using Linux for years I can tell you that office.com is not a good substitute. It is probably about as good as a cloud office suite gets at the moment, but browser apps are not quite that far along yet that they really measure up to the native applications (which, granted, have on the level of 30 years of development behind them). Sufficient for my occasional use, but it was a bit of a pain even then.

As someone who generally uses Google Docs and can live with pretty much any productivity suite for as often as I really have to use those applications, what (aside from the lack of Access) makes office.com unacceptable?

codo27 posted:

I own 2 Surfaces and they are great devices but man what the gently caress are they thinking with this Laptop? 1 USB port? Gonna cost $1500 CAD to get the version thats worth buying. Not spending $1000 and only getting 4gb of RAM. There's only so much I'm willing to pay for thin/looks nice.

On that point, I really wanna trade in my bulky Toshiba for something more thin/lighter. At least an i5/8gb/256gb SSD, dgpu and must have a numpad. Suggestions? I can probably skimp on the dgpu as the main reason I want it is to play poo poo when I'm at the girlfriends (long distance thing) but we're soon moving in together so it wont matter in a couple months.

It's not so much "one USB port" as it is the fact that it's not a 3.1 Type C. Not only is it odd that it's missing one in TYOOL 2017 but if it had one you could just hook it up to a docking station and get power in and all of the other outputs you could want.

I like the Xiaomi Air 13 as an ultrabook with some GPU performance (940MX) although it doesn't have a numpad. Would a USB version suffice for the latter point? You're generally not going to find small/thin/light laptops with a built-in numpad, particularly with a dGPU, and especially at a reasonable price. The Gigabyte Aero 15 has one I guess, except it's not quite cheap, not small (it's still 15.6",) and has what I think is a crappy layout to accommodate that numpad.

Mu Zeta posted:

So you're the guy that keeps the numpad showing up like herpes.

Some of us like touch-typing a bunch of numbers on a pad rather than hunting along a bar. :colbert:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hey thread, what's the best Chromebook to get these days? I loved the hell out of my C710 but it's dying :rip:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Some of those low end tablets were actually pretty good though. My lenovo yoga tab 2 with windows that i nabbed for $160 runs pretty smooth for anything nongaming. Windows 8.1 was very snappy. The first few weeks of win10 were a bit bad but that got fixed and its run very smooth ever since.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hey thread, what's the best Chromebook to get these days? I loved the hell out of my C710 but it's dying :rip:

Obviously whichever samsung one is newest is the best. Also put flash on it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Obviously whichever samsung one is newest is the best. Also put flash on it.

Triggered

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I see a lot of conflicting thoughts on the internet on whether its worth putting a screen protector on a surface or not (and how badly the protector affects the touch sensitivity). Any goons have a recommendation?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I see a lot of conflicting thoughts on the internet on whether its worth putting a screen protector on a surface or not (and how badly the protector affects the touch sensitivity). Any goons have a recommendation?

It's Gorilla Glass, don't bother.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I can take a picture of my two year old surface pro 3 screen I use on inspections if you really want. No screen protector. No scratches.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Mine is less than two years old and has some scratches on it - it isn't nearly as tough as the glass on a modern phone. Also the keyboard is poorly designed so if you chuck it in a sleeve the keys will rub on the screen and wear off the oleophobic coating.

E. That said I wouldn't use a screen protector. I tried a glass one at one point and it made the touchscreen far less responsive

dissss fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 4, 2017

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Anyone have any experience with the Lenovo Miix 510?

Im considering setting aside some money to get the 520 when they become available with the kabylake cpus. Or maybe just get the 510 if they show up on the outlet for a good price.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

What's your budget, what functionality do you need? Rugged, touchscreen, backlit keyboard, convertible, etc.?

Asus Flip C302, Samsung CB Pro are two new high-end (for CBs) devices with mid-range (~$500) prices. The Dell 13, Lenovo Thinkpad 13 and Acer CB 14 For Work are your rugged, business-class devices.

grimcreaper posted:

Some of those low end tablets were actually pretty good though. My lenovo yoga tab 2 with windows that i nabbed for $160 runs pretty smooth for anything nongaming. Windows 8.1 was very snappy. The first few weeks of win10 were a bit bad but that got fixed and its run very smooth ever since.

I've had Windows devices with that Atom SoC; they worked, but have nowhere near what I'd describe as "good" performance, even for just browsing and stuff. I do think Windows 10 is less resource-intensive than 8 though. I'll re-emphasize that these low-cost, low-performance Windows devices don't really do anything for me since everything they can do reasonably well I can do on ChromeOS, generally even faster with better security. Everything I need Windows for (gaming, PMS) these low-end devices can't do at all. I mean something like my Dell Venue Pro 8 is nice enough but at the end of the day, what's the point of it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Atomizer posted:

What's your budget, what functionality do you need? Rugged, touchscreen, backlit keyboard, convertible, etc.?

Asus Flip C302, Samsung CB Pro are two new high-end (for CBs) devices with mid-range (~$500) prices. The Dell 13, Lenovo Thinkpad 13 and Acer CB 14 For Work are your rugged, business-class devices.

Thanks for those. I don't need a flip screen or even touchscreen, backlit would be nice, but the only key items for me are decently durable, decent screen, and nutso battery life. The C710 was perfect for my uses. I'd prefer an Intel processor too, not sure if they still make Chromebooks with ARM chips or not. Hopefully I can keep this under $400-500 CAD?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I'm in Taipei and spotted a Razer official store, decided to look at the Razer Blade with tha GeForce 1060.

That bezel :barf:

The minute, the second they improve the screen-to-bezel ratio, I am throwing my credit card at Razer.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Animal posted:

I'm in Taipei and spotted a Razer official store, decided to look at the Razer Blade with tha GeForce 1060.

That bezel :barf:

The minute, the second they improve the screen-to-bezel ratio, I am throwing my credit card at Razer.

I honestly feel like once you use a screen for a while, you get used to it and stop noticing the things you didn't like on first inspection. I still use a Surface Pro 2 as my daily driver at work and that thing had horrendous bezels on a tiny screen, and I never notice them.

But with that said, yeah, I'm all aboard the thin-bezel train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I honestly feel like once you use a screen for a while, you get used to it and stop noticing the things you didn't like on first inspection. I still use a Surface Pro 2 as my daily driver at work and that thing had horrendous bezels on a tiny screen, and I never notice them.

But with that said, yeah, I'm all aboard the thin-bezel train.

I am sure I could not live with it, not after using a 15" rMBP for over 3 years. It doesn't even have to be a super thin bezel. Just not something that looks straight out of 2006. The laptop is otherwise beautifully built (other than the dumb Razer logo but I can cover that with a sticker.)

I have a feeling their next iteration will fix the bezel. They have to. So buying right now will feel dumb when they show the new one.

I'm so excited about their next model, assuming it's Kaby Lake, something even faster and more efficient than the GF1060, and of course the bezel thing. That will finally make a gaming laptop viable for someone who is constantly traveling and is an industrial design snob.