Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Veotax posted:

I love the big twist of MGSV, I just wish it was handled better than "here is literally the last bit of story in the game, be revealed for no reason!"

I liked MGSV's twist because you can look at the game and see where the threads connect between it and the preceding titles. All except 2. The closest thing you could say comes from 2 would be the look of Mother Base and the FOBs.

But then Zero reveals his plans in the tapes and it's SSS all over again. I think it's done even better here because it's a fourth wall commentary on the player living up to the legend. I've always thought it's impossible to make the player a major actor in a story's plot because it would ruin the intrigue of the plot and Phantom Snake is Kojima having his cake and eating it. Big Boss remains an unattainable mystery while the player gets to be the legendary soldier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Action Tortoise posted:

I liked MGSV's twist because you can look at the game and see where the threads connect between it and the preceding titles. All except 2. The closest thing you could say comes from 2 would be the look of Mother Base and the FOBs.

But then Zero reveals his plans in the tapes and it's SSS all over again. I think it's done even better here because it's a fourth wall commentary on the player living up to the legend. I've always thought it's impossible to make the player a major actor in a story's plot because it would ruin the intrigue of the plot and Phantom Snake is Kojima having his cake and eating it. Big Boss remains an unattainable mystery while the player gets to be the legendary soldier.

Who promptly is killed by Les Enfants Terrible with a lighter and hair spray.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TheMostFrench posted:

You could also do this in the Jedi Knight games. By default you press 1 to pull out the saber and press it again to put it away with a spin, but if you tap 1 while it is being put away you spin it around and it stays out. The game did also have a dedicated taunt button where you would levitate the saber in front of you and spin it around.
In Jedi Outcast, if you set g_saberrealisticcombat from 1-20, you could even use the taunt to basically buzzsaw your way through enemies

Downside being it also makes enemies' sabers lethal as well

Unfortunately, Jedi Academy made it a little trickier to pull off, but there's workarounds to give you the ability to dice people into ribbons

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

J.A.B.C. posted:

Skull Face is probably one of the better MGS villains because he is just that goddamn mean about everything. Using the Boss' honorary SAS wings to infect Zero,

Using BB's emotional crutch Paz to eliminate his only real challenge,

The entire Bell tape. Just loving all of it

It all paints a picture of a brilliant sadistic mastermind willing to tear the world apart by literally wiping out an entire language like some Bond Villain. All for revenge, the game's core theme, wrapping it up as a foil to BB's revenge.

Probably my biggest complaint about MGSV was that Skull Face didn't get more screen time because he absolutely stole the show every time he did.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also why the heck couldn't you develop his cool rear end sawed off shotgun

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

2house2fly posted:

Yeah, the ending comes completely out of nowhere and really feels like they ran out of time to build up to it

Doesn't the game have several dozen missions? How did they not find the time?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

marshmallow creep posted:

It also ends with a giant rear end clifhanger that will never get touched on.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The game was literally years past deadline and hugely over budget and they tried to make a final level that took place in an entirely new environment full of unique assets that they couldn't even get to run on the last-gen consoles they were releasing it on. Also rather than doubling down on making sure the game was finished Kojima spread their time and money even further by starting development on Silent Hills and releasing PT.

Also the game's story is totally wrapped up in the final game. Mission 51 would have just been a recycled Sahalanthropus fight on a jungle island, the game would still end with Eli and Mantis riding off into the sunset to get their revenge and there was nothing new about Venom's story.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

The game was literally years past deadline and hugely over budget and they tried to make a final level that took place in an entirely new environment full of unique assets that they couldn't even get to run on the last-gen consoles they were releasing it on. Also rather than doubling down on making sure the game was finished Kojima spread their time and money even further by starting development on Silent Hills and releasing PT.

reading this made me wonder how far along he is with Death Stranding, and I found out he answered this question just two days ago

quote:

"Let's say the character goes in an Italian restaurant. Who the character meets going into the restaurant, what he will be eating, all those details are set. What we're working on right now is what kind of table will be there, what will be the specific dialogues that will be there, what is gonna be the specific menu of this restaurant, those details are the things that we're tuning right now."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kojima is incredibly bad at time and resource management and Konami eventually realized pachinko made them a lot more money than video games.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So they're working on a realistic salad wilting engine? Hopefully they reuse the ice melting one as well and we get the most realistic restaurant ever.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

1stGear posted:

Kojima is incredibly bad at time and resource management and Konami eventually realized pachinko made them a lot more money than video games.

Yeah, and Kojima thinks Videogames aren't art, but that HIS are, so it's kind of frustrating to watch a good writer make the same mistakes as David Cage or Peter Molyneux.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

1stGear posted:

I read somewhere that Japanese laws have changed enough recently that the pachinko money may not be what it used to be. Wonder if that'll work out for them. Metal Gear Survive looked like a trash fire.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Len posted:

So they're working on a realistic salad wilting engine? Hopefully they reuse the ice melting one as well and we get the most realistic restaurant ever.

Either that or he's trying to create the first bistromathic drive.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Leavemywife posted:

I was just about to post this. Mine were always red and green, because then I was Darth Krampus.

This is great.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Leavemywife posted:

I was just about to post this. Mine were always red and green, because then I was Darth Krampus.
Agreed
There's just something so appealing about the two colors beside one another

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I read somewhere that Japanese laws have changed enough recently that the pachinko money may not be what it used to be.

Yeah. Konami made the incredibly unpopular but profitable decision at exactly the right time to make it also unprofitable.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah, and Kojima thinks Videogames aren't art, but that HIS are, so it's kind of frustrating to watch a good writer make the same mistakes as David Cage or Peter Molyneux.

I'm cautious about Death Stranding. As much of an apologist as I am for Kojima, I think everyone needs some editorial restraint.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
So I'm playing Specter Knight, and I really like how all the healing food items are either spoiled, or literal turkey bones. Also the new scythe-jump moves makes boss fights pretty frantic and I love it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Baron Corbyn posted:

reading this made me wonder how far along he is with Death Stranding, and I found out he answered this question just two days ago

So, an outline

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing that should save time is that he's not developing his own engine for the game and instead is licensing out the one Guerrilla made for Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Action Tortoise posted:

I'm cautious about Death Stranding. As much of an apologist as I am for Kojima, I think everyone needs some editorial restraint.

Cool Games Inc. nailed it when they were talking about Kojima is handling his first post-Konami gig, almost like some kind of Brian Wilson in the sandbox sabbatical thing. He'll just say he's making a game so that way he can hang out with Norman Reedus.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Cool Games Inc. nailed it when they were talking about Kojima is handling his first post-Konami gig, almost like some kind of Brian Wilson in the sandbox sabbatical thing. He'll just say he's making a game so that way he can hang out with Norman Reedus.

and lovingly render his butt

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Vinylshadow posted:

Agreed
There's just something so appealing about the two colors beside one another

I was a purple and yellow player.
God drat I miss those games.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Baron Corbyn posted:

and lovingly render his butt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiZpMxXE10o

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Is... is this what asmr is?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
what the gently caress did i just watch and how am i supposed to feel about it

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

The 3rd installment of Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is coming out tomorrow, and I'm really jazzed.

It reminded me of one of my favorite boss fights in a JRPG that was in the 2nd chapter. Usually, JRPGs will make bosses immune to most status effects, except maybe one, for a gimmick strategy. There's a big ol' dragon boss in this game, and he has a huge pool of health, and ton of devastating attacks - and he's susceptible to almost all the status effects. It was really cool being able to slug it out with this tough boss, and being allowed to use all my options to form a strategy of my own.

Those games are so great, while at the same time doing almost nothing innovative mechanics-wise. Can't wait to play the new one.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Screaming Idiot posted:

how am i supposed to feel about it

Loved.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

scarycave posted:

So I'm playing Specter Knight, and I really like how all the healing food items are either spoiled, or literal turkey bones. Also the new scythe-jump moves makes boss fights pretty frantic and I love it.
One of my favorite things about Specter Knight (and Plague Knight as well, to be fair) is how effectively Yacht Club Games managed to work virtually all of their effects and mechanics from their boss fights in Shovel Knight into their kits as playable characters. Things as simple as Plague Knight's hover while chucking bombs, or nearly all of Specter's curios matching the attacks he uses in his boss fight. It's really cool and makes you feel like you're playing those bosses.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

theshim posted:

One of my favorite things about Specter Knight (and Plague Knight as well, to be fair) is how effectively Yacht Club Games managed to work virtually all of their effects and mechanics from their boss fights in Shovel Knight into their kits as playable characters. Things as simple as Plague Knight's hover while chucking bombs, or nearly all of Specter's curios matching the attacks he uses in his boss fight. It's really cool and makes you feel like you're playing those bosses.

Specter Knight turned the entire Megaman/Castlevania mashup that is Shovel Knight into Ninja Gaiden, it's awesome just how much difference they managed to cram in that way.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait, there's a SECOND sequel? I still haven't gotten around to finishing Shovel Knight.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

that feeling is utterly alien to me and is therefore changed to anger

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Wait, there's a SECOND sequel? I still haven't gotten around to finishing Shovel Knight.

Aw man, the ending's the best part by miles.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Up until now in Nioh you had a large list of "canon" characters to transform into as a glorified skin, but they were all male due to their design sharing the same animation rig - both of the women you fought in combat had very specific, unique combat abilities that didn't share much with their male counterparts. You never see women using a spear for example, nor do they have death animations, emotes and so on.

However, the latest patch has added female characters to that list and they've been given a full set of animations, sounds and other changes to make sure they're compatible with all the different weapons and situations in the game. It's not a quick job either as a bunch of the stuff is just a tiny bit different to accommodate size and build differences rather than it being a quick copy/paste job. That they've gone to that effort for something which could have easily been half-assed is great.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

*Commander Shepard listens to this, sitting down, with her legs spread wide open.*

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Hey let's be fair, female Shepard jogs sluttily

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

samu3lk posted:

I've been playing Hollow Knight like a fiend and at one point you rescue a shy NPC in a dungeon. She's sitting on a bench at the hub the next time you show up and makes a startled "OH!" sound if you walk past her. She won't talk to you and you can't interact with her.

You can sit at the same bench. She blushes after a while

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

*Commander Shepard listens to this, sitting down, with her legs spread wide open.*

*fold arms,stand at angle*

*weird karate chop hand movement*

*exit scene left*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

*fold arms,stand at angle*

*weird karate chop hand movement*

*exit scene left*

#WhoWoreItBetter #TeamGeralt