Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Any chance chuck flips his poo poo because the newspaper edition was printed after Jimmy said he took 'em (or a p.i." he let into the house when he had a key")? I'm not one to read into poo poo, I tend to just enjoy the ride, but that photo seems like one that could bite Jimmy/cause chuck to go nuts or have a meltdown at the hearing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Since it's not a trial it doesn't really matter how Jimmy got the pictures.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Like Howard said, the rules for evidence are a lot more lenient than a real trial. All he has to do is say he paid a PI to do the investigation, he doesn't know how the PI got the pictures.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Cojawfee posted:

Like Howard said, the rules for evidence are a lot more lenient than a real trial. All he has to do is say he paid a PI to do the investigation, he doesn't know how the PI got the pictures.

It might not be excluded as EVIDENCE, but gaining entry to a private residence by claiming to be with a company you aren't is probably against some law or other. Chuck would immediately have whoever made the appointment call the company and ask for the name of the guy they sent, then find out the appointment was canceled and figure out exactly what happened. Jimmy can be like "I just hired a guy, he didn't tell me how he got them" but then he's gotta probably say who it was and "I forget" won't fly. Though Mike going on the stand and being completely unflappable under examination by Chuck would be hilarious.

Then again, maybe him actually fixing the door makes it legit. Who knows.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

How did he bolt up the door like that to begin with. If he didn't do it himself why not have the guy that did it just fix the door instead

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The police probably have someone that comes out and quickly seals up a busted in door.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Javid posted:

It might not be excluded as EVIDENCE, but gaining entry to a private residence by claiming to be with a company you aren't is probably against some law or other. Chuck would immediately have whoever made the appointment call the company and ask for the name of the guy they sent, then find out the appointment was canceled and figure out exactly what happened. Jimmy can be like "I just hired a guy, he didn't tell me how he got them" but then he's gotta probably say who it was and "I forget" won't fly. Though Mike going on the stand and being completely unflappable under examination by Chuck would be hilarious.

Then again, maybe him actually fixing the door makes it legit. Who knows.

Did Mike ever actually misrepresent himself?

I don’t think he said the company name. He said he was there to fix the door, and he did.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

The police probably have someone that comes out and quickly seals up a busted in door.

Speaking as someone who deals in residential real estate, this made me nearly spit out my coffee.

The police, do not in fact, have someone that fixes doors broken in familial disputes. If I straight up tried to murder someone with a hatchet, couldn't get through the door and said I'd be back tonight to finish the job, the police wouldn't repair the door.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Griefor posted:

Just Jimmy & Kim with an EXIT sign above them. We know their relationship isn't going to last already but it still seems ominous.

They seem closer than ever, working together on a caper? Do you do this kind of stuff in your everyday life or just during tv watching time?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ChesterJT posted:

They seem closer than ever, working together on a caper? Do you do this kind of stuff in your everyday life or just during tv watching time?

It's not a stretch to assume their relationship will strain and fall apart because of Jimmy's penchant for playing fast and loose with the law. They've already had arguments over it (see: squat cobbler). Kim may slip from time to time, but in past incidents she quickly realizes what they're doing is wrong. There's two ways to reach the inevitable end of this relationship; either Kim has a change of heart and leaves before it ruins her career, or she sticks by Jimmy and his slip-ups end up dragging her down anyway.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Platystemon posted:

Did Mike ever actually misrepresent himself?

I don’t think he said the company name. He said he was there to fix the door, and he did.

Chuck asked "Martin's repair?" and Mike went "yeah".

I'm guessing the bodged together plywood cover on the hole was what was available RIGHT NOW at whatever time of day Jimmy bashed the door in. A lot of repair guys like that aren't just available on immediate request.

I choose to believe it was installed by a fumbling team of Hamlin and the random PI, with chuck holding a lantern and criticizing everything while not doing a hand's turn himself.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

jfood posted:

Bad rear end, mass-murdering, drug smuggling kingpin, but Gus still throws like a six year-old girl playing tee-ball.

I really liked that bit.

Yeah, now that you mention it that reminded me of the little things Walt would do to celebrate when one of his plans worked out for him. Sinking a basket after pulling off your crime masterstroke is a total Walt thing to do, it was fun to see Fring have that brief human moment, alongside how he was giving a little smile behind Hector's back.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Javid posted:

Chuck asked "Martin's repair?" and Mike went "yeah".

I'm guessing the bodged together plywood cover on the hole was what was available RIGHT NOW at whatever time of day Jimmy bashed the door in. A lot of repair guys like that aren't just available on immediate request.

I choose to believe it was installed by a fumbling team of Hamlin and the random PI, with chuck holding a lantern and criticizing everything while not doing a hand's turn himself.

It looked very well put together, and had bolts Mike was using a socket to undo so it's not like Chuck and Howard went at it with a hammer. Either someone was using power tools and a lot of time in which case why not just fix the door, or we've got a plot hole on our hands boys

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, now that you mention it that reminded me of the little things Walt would do to celebrate when one of his plans worked out for him. Sinking a basket after pulling off your crime masterstroke is a total Walt thing to do, it was fun to see Fring have that brief human moment, alongside how he was giving a little smile behind Hector's back.

A lot of the characters in BCS are more than a little reminiscent of Walt--more reminiscent of him than we might have expected based on how much they all come to resent him in BB. We're learning that Mike in particular was motivated by pride at certain key points in his early career as a criminal. Gus even points out that Mike kept going after Hector Salamanca even after his family was no longer in danger. That pride-based persistence resulted in the death of an innocent civilian. And all along Mike claims to be doing everything for his family, even though his family probably doesn't really need everything he's giving them; his guilt over his son's death seems to be being taken advantage of more than a little bit by his daughter-in-law. Mike is essentially doing everything for himself, just like Walt was. The difference is Walt's is mainly just a straight-up power fantasy come to life as a means to make up for a lifetime of frustration and impotence, whereas Mike's is a futile quest to wipe away his guilt over breaking his son's spirit and then getting him killed (even if it costs Mike his own soul in the process).

Mike's story obviously is far more sympathetic, but they're both ultimately doing bad things for reasons that have more to do with their own emotional needs than with the real material needs of their loved ones. In the BB/BCS universe there are no really rational, moral reasons to become the sort of criminal Mike and Walt are. But there are always very compelling emotional reasons.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Mike is also more sympathetic because he's cool. Walter's a flippin' NERD.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

hiddenmovement posted:

He also does poo poo for Gus firing from time to time, doesn't he? I don't think Gus is a stingy client

Edit: this means old gene is probably rich as gently caress. Is he really just going to poo poo himself at the cinnebon? Just flee the country.

I don't think Saul ever did anything for Gus. He just knew of him through Mike. Gus' shady lawyer was the guy who made lollipops.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

massive spider posted:

I don't think Saul ever did anything for Gus. He just knew of him through Mike. Gus' shady lawyer was the guy who made lollipops.

I believe they were cake pops.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

ChesterJT posted:

Well I did ask "Am I reading too much into this?" so obviously I'm not saying that I'm 100% sure this means all kinds of stuff, but it's just a shot that stuck with me in the show where no tiny detail is by accident. They could've done the shot from behind to get the EXIT sign in the shot, or they could've done the shot from behind to get a silhouette effect on the characters with the light coming from outside. I'm asking what everybody else thinks because I'm not sure if it meant anything but apparently I AM reading too much into it because nobody seems to think there's anything to it. Sorry for asking dude.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
By the way, in case this wasn't clear (and it wasn't to me on first viewing), the opener to Episode 4 was a pretty big flashback, around 1999 to the BCS' 2007 or so. Just a peek into why Hector hates Gus, stealing his thunder with big batches of shrink wrapped cash.

The driver being introduced there is the same driver that got killed at the end of season 2 because Hector and Co. thought he was in on the robbery.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

Since it's not a trial it doesn't really matter how Jimmy got the pictures.

Including committing more fraud to gain entry? I have no idea what are the standards for these hearings but I also thought this could get back to them.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's great to see Don Eladio again, that actor is fan-tast-ico. I'd watch three seasons of Eladio teasing Hector.

i am so loving nervous for every second that guy is on screen. he's so good.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I like that they aren't afraid to have a subtitled second language scene. Especially one that is 10+ minutes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Americans does that too.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

NowonSA posted:

By the way, in case this wasn't clear (and it wasn't to me on first viewing), the opener to Episode 4 was a pretty big flashback, around 1999 to the BCS' 2007 or so.

Breaking Bad takes place from 07-09. It's never been explicitly stated and I don't know of enough clues to say one way or the other but I imagine Better Call Saul is somewhere in the 02-03 range.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don't remember BB so much anymore but was Gus working for Hector or was Gus doing his own thing working for Eladio?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't remember BB so much anymore but was Gus working for Hector or was Gus doing his own thing working for Eladio?

The latter. The Salamancas all work for Eladio and through circumstances that I don't think have been revealed to us yet, Gus ends up with an arrangement where he can run his own operation in Albuquerque and the cartel (in theory) leaves him alone.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

drunken officeparty posted:

I like that they aren't afraid to have a subtitled second language scene. Especially one that is 10+ minutes.

It's cool but oh boy is their Spanish bad. Especially Hector

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SlipkPIe posted:

See, I wondered that, but not knowing Spanish at all, I didn't actually notice.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lovechop posted:

i am so loving nervous for every second that guy is on screen. he's so good.

I was seriously expecting Hectors henchman to bite it at some point in that scene, even though, as mentioned, he dies in 2007.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Griefor posted:

Well I did ask "Am I reading too much into this?" so obviously I'm not saying that I'm 100% sure this means all kinds of stuff, but it's just a shot that stuck with me in the show where no tiny detail is by accident. They could've done the shot from behind to get the EXIT sign in the shot, or they could've done the shot from behind to get a silhouette effect on the characters with the light coming from outside. I'm asking what everybody else thinks because I'm not sure if it meant anything but apparently I AM reading too much into it because nobody seems to think there's anything to it. Sorry for asking dude.

Don't apologize. That scene also triggered something in my brain, but I wasn't sure what it was. For me it more felt like they were finally "getting back together", as their relationship has been quite strained recently. But seeing that still picture, I can see how it could be a foreshadowing of their inevitable split. I rarely catch things like that, and if that is actually what the director intended, that was a good catch.
Regardless if it was meant like that, I appreciate your inquisitive mind.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, their accent is terrible. It sounds like they have never spoken a word in Spanish before.
Eladio is supposedly greek? Because then his accent can be explained at least.

Can somebody remind me of Gus' story in Mexico? I just remember it vaguely.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Chernabog posted:

Can somebody remind me of Gus' story in Mexico? I just remember it vaguely.

Gus isn't from Mexico. He's from Chile and it is implied he fled the Pinochet regime in the mid/late 80s. He emigrated to Mexico and later at some undefined point emigrated to the US. At one point, Hank speculates that Gus is an alias or assumed name.

While he was in Mexico he started making crystal meth working for Eladio and Salamanca is generally seen to be his competition within that sphere. Salamenca kills his friend/possible gay lover by the pool, and the friend was the actual chemist. Gus was just the businessman cooking the books and also running Los Polos. I think Gus moved his operations to the US Southwest after his friend/cook was killed.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Awesome, thanks.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

The shot of Jim and Kim absolutely has ominous weight to it. They are working together, happy and motivated. However, from our perspective we see that they are receding down a dark hall, get split in half from each other and turn left (into Jimmy) into sinister doings and criminality rather than right into Kim, morality, and goodness.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'd be interested to know exactly how Gus came to work for the cartel. He went the first time he met don Eladio where they told him to gently caress off with this meth poo poo and that he was lucky to be alive, to dealing meth for them.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

SlipkPIe posted:

Yeah, I'm glad they did the scene in the last episode in English because Gus and Hector speaking Spanish is a nightmare.

I wish they had made Gus Brazilian just to explain why his accent is so bad.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's not a stretch to assume their relationship will strain and fall apart because of Jimmy's penchant for playing fast and loose with the law. They've already had arguments over it (see: squat cobbler). Kim may slip from time to time, but in past incidents she quickly realizes what they're doing is wrong. There's two ways to reach the inevitable end of this relationship; either Kim has a change of heart and leaves before it ruins her career, or she sticks by Jimmy and his slip-ups end up dragging her down anyway.

Well sure we know the relationship doesnt work, so everyone is just waiting to see where the break is. I was just saying it isnt now, especially since she has to know Jimmy broke the law to help her get the Mesa account and still appears to be on his side.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

ChesterJT posted:

Well sure we know the relationship doesnt work, so everyone is just waiting to see where the break is. I was just saying it isnt now, especially since she has to know Jimmy broke the law to help her get the Mesa account and still appears to be on his side.

Also, I think that since we saw her making phone calls to find out about the handyman appointment and thereby participating in the scam, she's probably committed to seeing it through. But that's just the short term.

...and it's also contingent upon this thing not playing out in a way that makes it impossible for her to stick with Jimmy.

...and and, I really hope they have a good story as to how Jimmy got those photos inside Chuck's house in some perfectly legit way, because if he breaks them out at the hearing (and I don't know why else he'd have had Mike take them), that question is going to come up.

Secret Agent X23 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 3, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Gus isn't from Mexico. He's from Chile and it is implied he fled the Pinochet regime in the mid/late 80s. He emigrated to Mexico and later at some undefined point emigrated to the US. At one point, Hank speculates that Gus is an alias or assumed name.

While he was in Mexico he started making crystal meth working for Eladio and Salamanca is generally seen to be his competition within that sphere. Salamenca kills his friend/possible gay lover by the pool, and the friend was the actual chemist. Gus was just the businessman cooking the books and also running Los Polos. I think Gus moved his operations to the US Southwest after his friend/cook was killed.

One small addendum; it's implied Gus was involved with the Pinochet regime in some way, and that's why he ended up in Mexico. His connection to the regime factors into Eladio's decision to spare him.

Don Eladio posted:

The only reason you are alive and he is not...is because I know who you are. But understand, you are not in Chile anymore.
Hector also mockingly calls him "grand generalissimo". It's never outright stated, but there are enough hints sprinkled throughout BB to make an educated guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

massive spider posted:

I'd be interested to know exactly how Gus came to work for the cartel. He went the first time he met don Eladio where they told him to gently caress off with this meth poo poo and that he was lucky to be alive, to dealing meth for them.

We know he emigrated to the US in 1989, so my guess is right after the first run in with the cartel, he runs into the US and starts his operation out of their territory. The cartel was in the 80's selling the 80's main import/export, cocaine, however, they were not operating in NM at the time. Gus starts out his franchises there, operating the one in Albuquerque.

They got into the meth business later on, once cocaine was not as profitable. Once they got into the meth business, my guess is Gus offered to let the cartel have a piece of the pie to avoid a turf war (he also might have expanded his territory by then, getting into other states). Bolsa becomes the capo Gus reports to, probably because Bolsa sees the potential in his operation.

Gus entering the cartel alliance would be in 1999, the time when Hector is expanding into Albuquerque, with his front, and Gus comes by with his first tribute payment.

• Locked thread