Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I went on a losing streak and then played a game where someone gave a link to his stream at the end of it. I always like to click these and rewind to watch them play the game I just did from their perspective.

Apparently at my current MMR streamers play with autolock camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kingcobweb posted:

Jungling is the role that depends the most around game knowledge and decision-making, so you basically just have to commit yourself to understanding how different lanes are supposed to go and different power spikes so you know where to be at what time. Probably the most helpful thing is to watch streams of good junglers, but don't just casually watch it for entertainment; at all times ask yourself, "where would I go right now?" and see if they Actually Good Player agrees with you.

I'm trying to jungle in flex, where I'm ranked Bronze, and I frequently encounter situations where I don't know what to do with my time. Like, it's obvious what to do if I'm top-side and my top-laner has frozen the lane our tower: go collect a free kill. What's really hard for me is when there do not appear to be any good decisions to be made, and it's a situation I see frequently in Bronze flex but infrequently on pro streams.

As an example, I played a Vi match right after the servers came up today and after clearing my Red→Wolves→Blue, every lane was shoved to enemy tower. Okay, whatever. Looks like it's time to kill the scuttle crab, mention I'm eager to gank if any lane will let their opponent shove, and maybe go deep ward or steal a big raptor or something. End up doing all three of those things — kill the top-side scuttle, kill the top-side big raptor, drop a ward at top-side red, return to the river. Every lane is still shoved. Okay, time to back and buy and ... go kill my golems? Sure! Kill the golems, every lane is shoved. How about seeing if bot and/or mid want an early dragon? Oh, well I'll just take the scuttle and ... back again, I guess? Everyone is still pushed. I guess I'll go try to take dragon myself, since buffs have not respawned? Oh look, I found their jungler and I'm dead. Okay, that was a dumb call — I didn't have vision of their bottom jungle, and no one came to dragon with me, and it was risky but at least I was trying to do something! Respawn, pick up buffs again, everyone is still pushed. I'm nearly six now, so kill another couple of camps and ... I guess try to dive someone? Haha, gently caress me.

The issue in the game described above isn't even that the game was eventually lost, or that everyone did super bad or whatever, but that I felt like I had no way to contribute. Once the big jungle camps are dead, my smite is down, and I don't really have the money to make backing worth it ... what the gently caress do I do? In retrospect I guess I could have invaded their jungle more, and I did make an effort to track enemy jungler movements and show up to discourage ganks — but that's mostly "be there, be visible" and that doesn't equal kills, or towers, or cs, or dragons. I feel like there's something I should be doing when I'm in this sort of situation, but gently caress if I know what it is. Should I just go into a lane and shove minions into towers with the laner while I wait for a worthwhile camp to spawn? Should I sit and wait in a lane brush for a low-percent gank? Teach me.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
AP Sejuani top is hilarious

People have no idea what she does yet and the indicator for the stun is super hard to see

W-W-Q-AA-E-R after they flash and you just destroy them, there's no counterplay for having 300 armor at level 1

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
@Addamere If you find yourself with nothing to do, find their jungler and beat the poo poo out of them if you get the jump on them, finding their jungler is basically as good as getting a successful gank since instead of gaining 450 gold for your team you deny the enemy 450 gold + jungle camp XP

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Addamere posted:

I'm trying to jungle in flex, where I'm ranked Bronze, and I frequently encounter situations where I don't know what to do with my time. Like, it's obvious what to do if I'm top-side and my top-laner has frozen the lane our tower: go collect a free kill. What's really hard for me is when there do not appear to be any good decisions to be made, and it's a situation I see frequently in Bronze flex but infrequently on pro streams.

As an example, I played a Vi match right after the servers came up today and after clearing my Red→Wolves→Blue, every lane was shoved to enemy tower. Okay, whatever. Looks like it's time to kill the scuttle crab, mention I'm eager to gank if any lane will let their opponent shove, and maybe go deep ward or steal a big raptor or something. End up doing all three of those things — kill the top-side scuttle, kill the top-side big raptor, drop a ward at top-side red, return to the river. Every lane is still shoved. Okay, time to back and buy and ... go kill my golems? Sure! Kill the golems, every lane is shoved. How about seeing if bot and/or mid want an early dragon? Oh, well I'll just take the scuttle and ... back again, I guess? Everyone is still pushed. I guess I'll go try to take dragon myself, since buffs have not respawned? Oh look, I found their jungler and I'm dead. Okay, that was a dumb call — I didn't have vision of their bottom jungle, and no one came to dragon with me, and it was risky but at least I was trying to do something! Respawn, pick up buffs again, everyone is still pushed. I'm nearly six now, so kill another couple of camps and ... I guess try to dive someone? Haha, gently caress me.

The issue in the game described above isn't even that the game was eventually lost, or that everyone did super bad or whatever, but that I felt like I had no way to contribute. Once the big jungle camps are dead, my smite is down, and I don't really have the money to make backing worth it ... what the gently caress do I do? In retrospect I guess I could have invaded their jungle more, and I did make an effort to track enemy jungler movements and show up to discourage ganks — but that's mostly "be there, be visible" and that doesn't equal kills, or towers, or cs, or dragons. I feel like there's something I should be doing when I'm in this sort of situation, but gently caress if I know what it is. Should I just go into a lane and shove minions into towers with the laner while I wait for a worthwhile camp to spawn? Should I sit and wait in a lane brush for a low-percent gank? Teach me.

Camps other than buffs are worthwhile these days. Krugs are worth like what, 110g? If you don't have anything to do, grabbing krugs/raptors and warding for the enemy jungler is fine. If you watch pro junglers they'll go and steal krugs and raptors if they ever see the enemy jungler on the other side of the map and they don't have a gank opportunity. I dunno what you're doing if you're literally clearing so fast that none of the krug or raptor camps or scuttles are up and you've already warded.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 3, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It can also hurt you if your clearing awkwardly and things are spawning at different times or your not killing any enemy camps to take 80g out of their pocket and adding it to yours.

You can also fall behind if you never do the camps because they stay with the level 1 stats and exp, but I think the krugs that pop out of the killed ones will scale with game time in terms of exp.
If your one of the junglers that can blow through raptors in 2 seconds you might as well try and do both camps on spawn whenever you can.

But overall what jungling comes down to is managing your time better then the other guy, either by getting more exp/gold per minute or more successful ganks per minute, don't be that guy that walks up and down a warded river for 2 minutes and leaves every camp up and then you try to pick a fight with the level 6 enemy while your level 3-4, a good rule of thumb as the jungler is if your support is outleveling you, your loving up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Krugs are easy to steal because they're so close to lane but they take time, the Gromp is an easier steal in my opinion and it's only about 25 less gold. Generally when I'm jungling I'm mostly watching the lanes and waiting for someone to over-extend. The advice I was given by someone in Discord is farm the jungle to a point, then start farming the other team.

Also spend time in practice mode and figure out an initial path you can do without causing your laners to miss a wave. It angers me every time a Master Yi in the jungle demands help taking the red buff to start off.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 3, 2017

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

njsykora posted:

Also spend time in practice mode and figure out an initial path you can do without causing your laners to miss a wave. It angers me every time a Master Yi in the jungle demands help taking the red buff to start off.

Bottom lane should have time to lend 2 or 3 autoattacks each and still make it to lane for the first wave. Those few autoattacks can make a world of difference for some jungle champs.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Tales of Woe posted:

Bottom lane should have time to lend 2 or 3 autoattacks each and still make it to lane for the first wave. Those few autoattacks can make a world of difference for some jungle champs.

Yeah, I have yet to be in a game where bot lane (or top) doesn't help leash jg this season. With the exception of the jg deciding to invade or maybe if it's shaco or something. There is absolutely no reason not to help leash for most games. It costs you nothing, and it's an immense help to the jg.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I imagine you'd have to be in the really deep dark wood league ranks to not see people leash by instinct at this point.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

if your team is not immediately coming to leash just ping and ask the team to help you take the buff. if they still do not help you are in the trenches and my best advice is to play cheese snowball champions and get out of the trenches

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tales of Woe posted:

Yeah I've seen that in pro games, like a Rumble will give a Lee Sin a flamespitter onto the raptors just to soften them up.

Anyway I did my first game on this patch and the new Doran's Shield is pretty nice, that little bit of regen adds up to some nice sustain. Rift Herald a little less useful past the tier 1 towers though. It did about half damage on the tier 2 and got torn down after. The enemy team also went super defensive on me when I picked it up. Think it's use is gonna be finishing towers now, not so much starting them.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I imagine you'd have to be in the really deep dark wood league ranks to not see people leash by instinct at this point.

In Silver/Gold my teammates always leash too well and miss the first 3 minions. I think they haven't readjusted since the last time they changed the jungle/minion spawn times.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
About the new dorans shield: I played a few games today where I picked it up as Ashe for my first instead of the blade. Think about it, new shield gives:

- 6hp/5
- 5 damage on your autos to make up for the 8 dmg you lose
- regen when you get hit
- 50g (potion!) cheaper
so you're really just missing the lifesteal, which is only 3% anyway, like less than 3 per shot before your first item. Plus you get the extra pot. The blade probably complements your later items better but if you're crap at laning like me it's not a bad shout I reckon.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
So can Zac slap say, a minion to a champion? The tooltip on the wiki suggests as much. I'm trying to figure out if Q is still a one and done kind of thing for him in the jungle or will Q take precedence over W after maxing E.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Use the practice tool

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I'm at work, shithead, answer the question

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

If I last played extensively in Season 2, how different is LoL now? Different, very different, or a totally different loving game?

I kind of want to play again. I have a ton of heroes, a full runebook, etc.

Any chillbros ITT?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Eeeh the jungle is way different, there's a mini baron before 20 minutes, dragons give match long buffs. Obviously there are new items and champs.

We are all chill as gently caress chillbros. I play on EUW with like 2 other ppl (rip EUW). Sometimes I play on NA but only when its Friday which means I'm drunk and absolutely terrible. The Amerigoons dont seem to mind.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

el dingo posted:

Eeeh the jungle is way different, there's a mini baron before 20 minutes, dragons give match long buffs. Obviously there are new items and champs.

We are all chill as gently caress chillbros. I play on EUW with like 2 other ppl (rip EUW). Sometimes I play on NA but only when its Friday which means I'm drunk and absolutely terrible. The Amerigoons dont seem to mind.

At least you're not on EUNE.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i just remembered they did the mini baron idea 2 years ago in a different way. how will this be significantly different? if the mini baron herald boss is alone at a tower, will wave clearing the minions be sufficient to safe your tower? obviously I think you have to rally around the tower he is attacking, if the other team chooses to do so, or you will lose your inhibitor before you know it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Nothing is more disappointing than getting your role in 3 lobbies only to have someone dodge each time, then get auto filled and hard counter picked because you're first pick and no one wanted to swap. That's the great gameplay o waited 15 minutes in queue for.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Camps other than buffs are worthwhile these days. Krugs are worth like what, 110g? If you don't have anything to do, grabbing krugs/raptors and warding for the enemy jungler is fine. If you watch pro junglers they'll go and steal krugs and raptors if they ever see the enemy jungler on the other side of the map and they don't have a gank opportunity. I dunno what you're doing if you're literally clearing so fast that none of the krug or raptor camps or scuttles are up and you've already warded.
Raptors have lots of exp, IIRC. Unless that got changed recently.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Addamere posted:

When all of your lanes are pushed, this basically gives you free reign to invade and/or track the enemy jungler via deep warding so that you can set up counterganks. But how you do this really depends on whether you're playing a dueling jungler like Lee, a control jungler like Ivern, or a farming jungler like Amumu.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

Any chillbros ITT?

i am the 4th least toxic player in league of legends and if you are on NA you might one day play with me

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

When all of your lanes are pushed, this basically gives you free reign to invade and/or track the enemy jungler via deep warding so that you can set up counterganks. But how you do this really depends on whether you're playing a dueling jungler like Lee, a control jungler like Ivern, or a farming jungler like Amumu.

What kind of Jungler is Yi now? I have been a Yi Tard since pre S 1 and I don't plan on stopping now, hah

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rygar201 posted:

What kind of Jungler is Yi now? I have been a Yi Tard since pre S 1 and I don't plan on stopping now, hah

Yi powerfarms the jungle and only shows up to gank lanes that very nicely present him a kill on a silver platter, and then he goes right back to the jungle until suddenly he is getting triple kill resets and backdooring inhibitors.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Addamere posted:

Yi powerfarms the jungle and only shows up to gank lanes that very nicely present him a kill on a silver platter, and then he goes right back to the jungle until suddenly he is getting triple kill resets and backdooring inhibitors.

As I fondly remember it. I just need to learn the new structure, I hear they added camps and other monsters and stuff. Any good Youtubers for that? Stonewall008 still around?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
FROST ARMOR: After not taking damage for a while, Sejuani gains bonus resistances and slow immunity. Frost Armor briefly lingers after Sejuani takes damage.

BONUS RESISTANCES Frost Armor doubles Sejuani’s total resistances, then adds 100 additional bonus armor and magic resist

what the gently caress

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Methanar posted:

FROST ARMOR: After not taking damage for a while, Sejuani gains bonus resistances and slow immunity. Frost Armor briefly lingers after Sejuani takes damage.

BONUS RESISTANCES Frost Armor doubles Sejuani’s total resistances, then adds 100 additional bonus armor and magic resist

what the gently caress

I thought it was doubled her resistances up to 100 total bonus points?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The "and then gives 100 bonus armor/mr" part made me rise a eyebrow, I know it only lasts 1-3 seconds but daaaang that's like the malzahar shell they had to nerf ruthlessly.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The "and then gives 100 bonus armor/mr" part made me rise a eyebrow, I know it only lasts 1-3 seconds but daaaang that's like the malzahar shell they had to nerf ruthlessly.

I have no idea why they didn't make it scale with levels, and just give her bonus DMG against jungle monsters in compensation.

Sej is practically a top main now,though Riot balanced around jungle.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I just looked this up and am now Mad Online that they removed Malzahar's old awesome silence skillshot. :riot:

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Uh, I still hate huge numbers of defensive stats since they made the change to soraka that owered her heal a shitload but gave your target a huge armor buff for a few seconds, that poo poo gets too old too fast.

Rygar201 posted:

I just looked this up and am now Mad Online that they removed Malzahar's old awesome silence skillshot. :riot:

You mean he doesnt have the sweet void doors for his Q? After new galio id rather have them make new champs and keep the ancient ones. Old galio and new galio feel and play so different, at least WW feels fairly similar to the old model, but im just lucky the old champs I play alot avoid the remake axe. I liked the old fiora and she had a sorta jugg ult and didn't have everything and the kitchen sink in her kit, though riot seems to have gotten away from adding minigames to champions.

Turtle Sandbox fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 3, 2017

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rygar201 posted:

As I fondly remember it. I just need to learn the new structure, I hear they added camps and other monsters and stuff. Any good Youtubers for that? Stonewall008 still around?

Buy your Hunter's Machete and 3 potions, and start at your bottom-side buff (Blue or Red, depending on which side you spawned at), kill that without using smite, then kill your Wolves, then kill your other buff (smite), then if the enemy top-laner has shoved in your laner then go up there and collect your kill if and only if your top laner asks nicely and has hard cc; else, do your other top-side camp — Gromp or Krugs (with smite) — and then the top-side scuttle crab. If top has become gankable during this time, mosey on up there and collect your kill; else, drop a ward at enemy top-side jungle, and back. This is basic, babby's first jungle clear and decision tree — other people who main the role can give you more complex answers, but this will do you well enough as a generic opener for pretty much any AD jungler.

There's different kinds of smite now, depending on which item you build your machete into. You want either the blue or red one as Yi; both are usable on champions as well as minions/monsters. The blue one does damage and slows the enemy champion, while the red one reduces their damage to you — you pick whether you want to be better at chasing or dueling. There's also jungle item "enchants" now. You want either Devourer, for oldschool 5zeals Yi feeling of attacking stupid-fast, or you want Warrior, for very stat-efficient armor pen and damage. Most of your mainstay items are still good — zeal still builds into phantom dancer, though that item has changed a bit. Oh, and Guardian Angel still has its passive but is now only 30 armor and gives AD so it's a really synergetic pick for Yi. Hexdrinker has an upgrade now which shields you for more, and increases your lifesteal and damage at low levels — another defensive AD item to consider!

Nowadays the guy to watch for Yi is an American living in Korea named Cowsep who runs Smite/Teleport and is really good with using Q to dodge abilities and tower shots.

Addamere fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 3, 2017

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
malz still has his silence

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

The worst remake for me personally was the Jax remake. I have the Pax Jax skin and hardcore mained that dude for a while. New Jax just never feels sturdy enough, like old Jax did. I guess Riot really hated the whole gain HP for AP/AD passive :(

Oh cool. Wikia just didn't display Call of the Void for some reason. Whew.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Sejuani's new passive seems absurd but her jungle clear sucks rear end without her old AoE flail. I almost got executed on my first buff in a custom.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

Sejuani's new passive seems absurd but her jungle clear sucks rear end without her old AoE flail. I almost got executed on my first buff in a custom.

How? I just opened up practice mode and I was able to fully clear the jungle from level one with refillable without problems, felt pretty good honestly. Start raptors, save smite for red, it's really a easy clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I hope Sej is still a good jungler since a) she's my favorite and b) the fulltank jungle options feel very thin right now already.

• Locked thread