Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Unfortunately, Krogan Gladiator doesn't have the +40% shields thing (it's from Barrier, Krogans get Rage instead). For Gladiator, its still best to take the shields on kill evolution, because Vortex will also mess up things you're grabbing with Pull and you might not be able to get your melee combo working right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh right, thought we were talking about something else. It's still an accurate statement though. :v:

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Totally. Casually one-shotting Nullifiers and two-shotting Berserkers will never get old.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I've been toying with the idea of taking biotic wind over damage attractor with the gladiator.

Can't make my mind up if it'll be worth the trade off. You still get the 20% debuff from exposure and 30% from pull, so it's not like the "pull dudes then bug the gently caress out of melee" trick will totally stop working.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

If there's an enemy within punching range you are effectively immortal as the Krogladiator until you get sync killed.

Welp, floaty sounds cool, but more hammer time is better!

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

https://twitter.com/bioware/status/859826214017667072

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
Oh hey, maybe that means there's going to be a patch in May!

Incoming fix to shotguns: smartchoke now works, base shotgun spread increased to compensate.

I switched from the Disciple to whatever the remnant shotgun is called because when I shot a hydra dead center within its melee range two of the pellets would reliably pass OVER ITS SHOULDERS. At least the remnant one makes a reliable square pattern that's workable; although now that my Equalizer has a couple rank ups on it I'll probably just run that on every character. Or the Talon. Why are all the loving pistols better at being the other gun types?

I even finally loaded up ME3 multiplayer after owning the game for years and never even opening it so I could get a comparison to MEA, and boy can I see why a lot of people are supremely pissed about Andromeda's multiplayer. Like, right off the bat with no fancy guns or anything unlocked. Kits have obvious, useful niches, biotics feel properly powerful, and packs can contain multiple consumables so it's harder to run low on rockets. Also, when you unlock a character it's exciting because it's not 1/10th of that character; you can actually go use them to their full potential (barring specific weapon needs, maybe) right now. gently caress skillpoints locked behind rank; just gently caress it. gently caress it. Ruin it and anyone who thought it was a good idea. I may be mildly salty about needing another rank of Duelist.

I will say that Andromeda makes me feel like I'm playing a bipedal humanoid rather than a lumbering wax statue given life that is navigating its nightmare world by blindly running into walls though. The decision to make dodge/run/take cover/leap over cover/revive a teammate ALL ONE BUTTON is unfor-loving-givable. Like, it should be a criminal offense. It's so goddamned bad. Still probably going to just play this for my Mass Effect fix until the Andromeda patch comes though, OMNIBUTTON and gently caress-ugly (comparatively) graphics, it's still a much better balanced game that makes you feel useful and properly rewarded at every difficulty level (caveat, I've only played up to Gold, no platinum runs yet but I don't see Plat bucking the trend).

edit: vvv NO. No it loving is not. I just played a game where I was standing in front of a downed teammate, pressed the button and dove over them to take cover against the wall, then backed off it, lined up again, dove to the side against a different wall, then rolled backwards, whereupon I was FINALLY able to res them. It is not okay.

In that same game I also had a bug where I couldn't use powers or fire my gun :v: It turned out that to fix this I had to get shot enough to reach one bar of hp, then everything magically worked again. This was also my first platinum game, so a great first showing all around. Holy gently caress are combos good in ME3 though - even on platinum my human adept built for combo'ing takes 2/3rds of an atlas' hp off with one combo. It's so good compared to MEA, where even a premier combo machine like the asari adept doesn't do enough damage with combos.

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 3, 2017

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
The omni button was ok but having interact with melee is a bad choice.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Plat is an absolute blast. In addition to being harder than gold, there's no faction split, so you get weird combinations of enemies

Banshees and Phantoms and Atlas's oh my.

Being able to have solid cc and communicate rocket usage is key.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh wow, the Piranha is actually decent.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

precision posted:

Oh wow, the Piranha is actually decent.

It's not bad compared to most of the guns in the game. Once I get it above rank I I'm sure it'll be more useful. RNG! :argh:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I unlocked the Indra... jesus christ it's SO bad.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

AngryBooch posted:

I unlocked the Indra... jesus christ it's SO bad.

*checks to see if this is the ME3 or MEA thread*

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.

Haven't most people got jobs?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The indra is awful to control, and I say that as someone who thinks the incisor is a great gun

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
The raptor is the best assault rifle in mp

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The Indra would be cool if it actually shot explosions for some light AoE damage like the GFX make you believe. That would help justify the horrible stability and low damage.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What's odd is that andromeda's raptor is almost exactly like 3's indra except even better, while andromeda's indra is like some kind of deranged monkey that flails around uncontrollably any time you try to interact with it

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It works okay with some stability. On a Turian soldier with precision and power armour (45% stability), it feels pretty manageable.

It does the same damage as the Raptor (I think it's close to identical for a given rank) but has double the magazine size, so turbocharge really makes it shine.

It's the SUPER ZOOM scope that fucks it as much as anything imo, trying to track humanoid enemies close up can be a right pain. It has a hefty hipfire penalty too.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Houdini posted:

Yes, but not Reddit. I'm sure they'll have the breakdown.

//edit

Speaking of Reddit, he's clarifying/walking back some of the stuff he said earlier about survivability:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MECoOp/comments/68a4cd/how_much_do_you_expect_will_be_changed_in_the/dgz3rzx/?context=3

BWE_ehlien posted:

Appreciate the feedback. I wanted to chime in here since I've seen a number of posts and comments recently stating "they nerfed the damage/fun/freedom because of jetpacks".
While I'll admit I do hate freedom, I did not at any point state we nerfed anything because of jetpacks. If anything, I noted survivability and damage reductions were increased. Some may argue it's the same. That's for them to decide what they wish to believe. The comment I made that gets cited or quoted regarding jetpacks was a response to someone challenging that jetpacks would not change gameplay, and therefore gameplay balance, in any significant way. I merely listed observations between behavior in ME3 and MEA.
I appreciate that players are concerned and speculation is rampant as a result of us not being able to say much so far. That will change soon. Know that we have been reading, listening, playing, chatting, testing, and reducing our hatred of freedom. For you. For us. For fun. Stay tuned.

Relentless fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 4, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Honestly they should get rid of the hipfire penalties on all sniper rifles. Even for things like the Isharay.

Similarly, I think there should be a much better pellet spread reduction for shotguns if you aim them.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Zakmonster posted:

No, respec and take the one that gives shields when enemies are affected by biotics. It's the option that competes against shield on punches.
Thanks for this! Coming from a Vanguard I was confused as to how the class works without being able to instantly reset shields and having to run everywhere like a slowpoke. It works much better with the skill that gives shields on biotic and I had no problems in my matches tonight. Now I am kind of upset that the +biotic equipment is only 15%. I almost feel like the +sniper damage equipment may be better for when I am shooting at the bigger mobs I can't get too close to.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

CapnBry posted:

Thanks for this! Coming from a Vanguard I was confused as to how the class works without being able to instantly reset shields and having to run everywhere like a slowpoke. It works much better with the skill that gives shields on biotic and I had no problems in my matches tonight. Now I am kind of upset that the +biotic equipment is only 15%. I almost feel like the +sniper damage equipment may be better for when I am shooting at the bigger mobs I can't get too close to.

Honestly, outside of the Fiend, there is nothing else you can't just keep dancing around. Having the Expose debuff from 2 sources means that even your most piddly weapon is doing significant damage to a Hydra. And it also helps if/when your teammates decide to focus down the big targets.

I suggest trying an Equalizer or equivalent full auto pistol (maybe as a backup if you're not confident and still use the +sniper damage equipment).

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I pretty much run my Asari Adept nice and close to stuff for that expose bonus which means flitting in and out of cover and taking advantage of the Vortex effect to immobilise and prime mooks for my Swift Detonation Throw. I tried the Draining Field with Lance build and really didn't like it,

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight

ZombyDog posted:

I pretty much run my Asari Adept nice and close to stuff for that expose bonus which means flitting in and out of cover and taking advantage of the Vortex effect to immobilise and prime mooks for my Swift Detonation Throw. I tried the Draining Field with Lance build and really didn't like it,

For me the asari adept is all about butts. Covering butts, watching butts, moving butts, throwing butts, lancing butts, making butts float so you can punch those butts. Butts, butts, butts. It has to be the correct way to play because she yells about butts for 15 minutes straight every loving game. On the one hand, her fixation may be bordering on the unhealthy, but it's charming in an odd sort of way. I mean, good on her for having such laser focus, but drat. Butts.

Seriously, what is up with the multiplayer dialogue and voices in this game? Salarians don't sound like salarians, krogan sound like someone's impression of a fat kid; what the hell? The krogan and salarians sound alright in the single player, what happened here?

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Rocketpriest posted:

Seriously, what is up with the multiplayer dialogue and voices in this game? Salarians don't sound like salarians, krogan sound like someone's impression of a fat kid; what the hell? The krogan and salarians sound alright in the single player, what happened here?

I keep hearing this complaint, but I don't quite get it. The characters sound alright to me. The Salarians are a bit wimpy (especially the Operator) and the Krogan Engineer does sound a bit weird, but the rest are fine. The Krogan Merc sounds just like the Krogan Soldier from ME3.

ZombyDog posted:

I run Vortex and Shield-Powered Lance, because I really enjoy using Lance.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The audio in this game gives me nightmares. TEAMMATE INJURED MY SHIELDS! COVER YOUR BUTTS! HYDRA ON THE FIELD! and as always the nonstop DAKKA DAKKA

I typically end up muting the game volume entirely, especially since the positional audio sucks and is never helpful

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Zakmonster posted:

I keep hearing this complaint, but I don't quite get it. The characters sound alright to me. The Salarians are a bit wimpy (especially the Operator) and the Krogan Engineer does sound a bit weird, but the rest are fine. The Krogan Merc sounds just like the Krogan Soldier from ME3.

You seriously don't hear it? The Turian soldier sounds like a nerdy accountant or something. Some are ok, but there's a lot that are kind of... off.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The turian soldier sometimes sounds like dallas from payday so that voice is ok in my book

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Frush posted:

You seriously don't hear it? The Turian soldier sounds like a nerdy accountant or something. Some are ok, but there's a lot that are kind of... off.

Maybe he used to be a nerdy accountant. But honestly, I don't think he sounds like one. He just sounds normal?

What do you expect him to sound like?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

precision posted:

The audio in this game gives me nightmares. TEAMMATE INJURED MY SHIELDS! COVER YOUR BUTTS! HYDRA ON THE FIELD! and as always the nonstop DAKKA DAKKA

I typically end up muting the game volume entirely, especially since the positional audio sucks and is never helpful
Don't worry, the game audio will mute itself half the time.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
poo poo, I thought my soundcard drivers were knackered. Well that explains alot.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.

WanderingKid posted:

poo poo, I thought my soundcard drivers were knackered. Well that explains alot.

You get it on the PlayStation as well. I thought my console was dying on me after only having it since Christmas :v:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I've decided this game isn't a good way to spend my time until the devs figure out how to balance their crap... been playing the new 0.15 release of Factorio instead. At least those devs actually play their own game and care about it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Houdini posted:

You get it on the PlayStation as well. I thought my console was dying on me after only having it since Christmas :v:

Yeah it's the worst. It'll nuke the whole audio system including any Spotify and stay muted until you restart the entire game. It's not super common but ugh.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Houdini posted:

I assume they do too which is why they do it during their workday.

Also lol if you don't have a job where you can leave a tab open to watch/listen to a stream :smuggo:

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Good god they made the game a long grind. Every mod has ten levels? Christ.

I'm still maxing out all my commons, and I reckon that buying the basic packs is best until every common character and mod is maxed. I opened 7 basics yesterday and got three uncommon weapon cards anyway, so it's borderline a more efficient way of getting uncommon cards.

However I'm still using my Avenger X because the uncommon guns I've unlocked so far suck anyway. drat incisor, why does that have to be level 3 and not the Raptor?

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Zakmonster posted:

Maybe he used to be a nerdy accountant. But honestly, I don't think he sounds like one. He just sounds normal?

What do you expect him to sound like?

He sounds higher pitched and way more nasally than most (any?) Turians I recall. Maybe I'm just crazy, but the other guys I play with joke about it too so I'm not the only one.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The voices are definitely different but I'm most confused about the krogan females turning into lispy gay dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

However I'm still using my Avenger X because the uncommon guns I've unlocked so far suck anyway. drat incisor, why does that have to be level 3 and not the Raptor?

Try the Charger if you haven't. It's better than the Avenger in every way.

Raptor seems to be the next step unless you want to go all sniper all the time.

• Locked thread