Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
You should get used to thinking about combos in terms of button notation, rather than buttons on the controller.

No combo you find in a guide is gonna say "X, Y, A" they'll all say "s.HP, cr.LP, s.MP" (or 1, 1, 2 or whatever depending on game)

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

mango sentinel posted:

He's one of the least beginner friendly character next to Yoshi, from the part of the cast I actually know about.

I don't really agree, Steve is unorthodox but not in the way that Yoshi or Ling are, and he doesn't really have hard execution.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
There shouldn't be any build differences if it's just a Fighting Commander with a different board. Button terminology doesn't matter much because I find it's easier to think of the buttons as Punches and Kicks than actual controller layouts when they're placed in a 6-button layout anyway. It does look cool in white though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

McSpanky posted:

Any word on the quality of the upcoming Xbox version of the Hori Fighting Commander, is it expected to be as good as/better than the PS4 versions? I need a PC pad and find it easier to wrap my head around letters than shapes when it comes to memorizing combos.

Also it's shiny Xbox white, smooth.

Crossbar style is bad for a dpad. The best dpads for fighting are xbox style circles.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

Crossbar style is bad for a dpad. The best dpads for fighting are xbox style circles.

Uhhhhh

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

No.

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Cabbage pots, sure; but this?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like some people have Stockholm syndrome from too much SF2 on SNES.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The Xbox (360) pad is infamous for being garbage. Meanwhile I never had issues with my cross-shaped fightpads, my execution is garbage for a whole different set of reasons.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rutibex posted:

Guile Thumb was a serious medical condition man

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dias posted:

The Xbox (360) pad is infamous for being garbage.

Don't I know it, I'm using one right now and when I turn on the input log in a game's training mode it flips out when I try back-forward commands and even quarter circles sometimes. And I have big hands on top of that so I can't even tell how much of that is its legendary shittiness and how much is me ape-pawing the thing.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Rutibex posted:

no it's just that the only circular pad worth a poo poo for fg was the Saturn pad two decades ago

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Split or circular d-pad is personal preference, but you probably should have gone with a Saturn pad as the example.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
:shrug:
I only use the dpad for doing dragon punches, the analog sticks are better for circle motions. Best of both worlds! But when I am using d-pad I prefer the smooth circle of a xbox controller, just feels right.

The worst d-pad is playstation "4-buttons" configuration.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Rutibex posted:

I only use the dpad for doing dragon punches, the analog sticks are better for circle motions.

what the gently caress is wrong with you

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

That makes people give more cause theyre sad lonely teens who cant get anyone to say nice things to them for free.

Hell Id pay ppl to do this for me and im 48i years old

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Rutibex posted:

I only use the dpad for doing dragon punches, the analog sticks are better for circle motions. Best of both worlds! But when I am using d-pad I prefer the smooth circle of a xbox controller, just feels right.

omg something's wrong with your brain

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I play pad and I use the analog stick for everything but also 360 motions are a breeze on it.

My Padgief gets rid of fools

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Man, that's like Bizarro Fighting Game Player. I know a weirdo that uses dpad and analog but even the preferred inputs are reversed.

McSpanky posted:

Don't I know it, I'm using one right now and when I turn on the input log in a game's training mode it flips out when I try back-forward commands and even quarter circles sometimes. And I have big hands on top of that so I can't even tell how much of that is its legendary shittiness and how much is me ape-pawing the thing.

It's really mushy, every time I played on one it gave me jumps on weird moments and charging was suffering. I never got the chance to use one of those models where you can spin the d-pad but apparently they're a bit better.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Oh come on a new avatar? Not even a joke about giantess stuff? Good job wasting your money idiot

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

The only possible explanation is this is a troll

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Jmcrofts posted:

this is very long form for this kind of payoff

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Doesn't Smug play on the analog stick with dpad for dashing or something like that

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Rutibex posted:

How does the number of frames it takes for your thumb to move from one directional input to another and back factor into the ease of using an analog stick for 236 inputs and a d-pad for 623s? Does the belief that not snagging fireballs on a corner makes it easier to do outweigh the extra physical effort spent in actually performing your moves, or is it based on the assumption that adding extra complexity to inputs makes them simpler to pull off?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Reiley posted:

How does the number of frames it takes for your thumb to move from one directional input to another and back factor into the ease of using an analog stick for 236 inputs and a d-pad for 623s? Does the belief that not snagging fireballs on a corner makes it easier to do outweigh the extra physical effort spent in actually performing your moves, or is it based on the assumption that adding extra complexity to inputs makes them simpler to pull off?

Nah man I don't switch mid match, thats nutty. If I'm using a character with a lot of Dragon punch moves like Ryu or Tron Bonne I use the d-pad. If its a Zangief type I use the stick.

Edit: I do switch mid match if I am playing Marvel and swap characters

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 4, 2017

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I can see where he's coming from, I started blazblue and sfiv on 360 pad and when I was forced to switch for chrono phantasma it was a real pain in the rear end. Mostly because I was so used to having that filled in zone for diagonals. I get why folks prefer cross pads though.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
just lol if you can't reliably perform an SPD on arrow keys

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?
I've seen more than a few people locally who will play pad, but with their shirt/sweater in between their thumb and the d-pad. Looks comfortable enough, might be worth a try for people who want to use the cross-pad more?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

may contain peanuts posted:

Rick the Combo Breaker dude is very good, in my opinion. I like his tweets and the tournament he runs.

Combo Breaker 2015 was the first gaming tournament I ever attended. Really awesome experience/atmosphere. The change of venue last year made it even better. If any event deserved Premier status in the CPT, it was Combo Breaker. Glad they got it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Leviathean posted:

I've seen more than a few people locally who will play pad, but with their shirt/sweater in between their thumb and the d-pad. Looks comfortable enough, might be worth a try for people who want to use the cross-pad more?

what the gently caress about fighting games renders certain people incapable of using a controller like a normal loving human being

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Arzachel posted:

Doesn't Smug play on the analog stick with dpad for dashing or something like that

I think NuckleDu does this, not Smug.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Pomp posted:

what the gently caress about fighting games renders certain people incapable of using a controller like a normal loving human being

That one was super common back in the day.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Pomp posted:

Have you ever played a fighting game on the Dreamcast d-pad

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
http://i.imgur.com/CGovXYn.mp4

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

:swoon:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Jmcrofts posted:

Rutibex has been shitposting all over the board game thread for years now, and the only thing I can tell you is that he wholeheartedly believes in and matches his retarded online persona irl.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
the only suitable input method for FGs is a pair of samba de amigo maracas. though if I'm playing a charge character I will switch over to Donkey Kong Bongos

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

dhamster posted:

the only suitable input method for FGs is a pair of samba de amigo maracas. though if I'm playing a charge character I will switch over to Donkey Kong Bongos

DDR pad or bust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Broken Loose posted:

Rutibex has been shitposting all over the board game thread for years now, and the only thing I can tell you is that he wholeheartedly believes in and matches his retarded online persona irl.

I didn't want to be the guy to bring up the bad board game opinions but yeah, he's probably not a troll lmao