Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Holy actual gently caress.

:boom: I reckon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Uh, somebody just posted a video in the drama thread. I don't know how the mods feel about posting it in this thread because it's gross/disturbing.

Whatever, if you want to see a televised news report on the alaskan ship designer it's over here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773270&pagenumber=5#post471998947

If not, just scroll on by and forget it.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Sabreseven posted:

Excuse my desktop, rushed art. :kiddo:

ok yours was better, good show sir

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Who doxxes the doxxer?

That loving guy, apparently. Lmao.

Can't wait for Derek to press the Mutually Assured Doxxing button

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Propagandist posted:

ok yours was better, good show sir

It had to be done :)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sweet Jesus.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

This guy would have been banned if he posted in the SA star citizen thread. makes u think...

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This guy is really going at it full on. Good luck friend, you are fighting a war where you think logic and truth are going to prevail. I'm not sure how many people went down that rabbit hole before and came out ... a bit different with a new outlook! :patriot:

I guess there is a countdown before he shows up here, frustrated and tired?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

how much are we paying this guy

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

So let's say we have idiots 1, 2, 3 and 4

Idiot 1 buys in for $100, signs up idiot 2.
Idiot 2 buys in for $100, signs up idiot 3. Idiot 1 gets $15 bonus.
Idiot 3 buys in for $100, signs up idiot 4. Idiot 2 is up $15, idiot 1 is now only up $12.50.
Idiot 4 buys in for $100, has no friends. Idiot 3 is up $15, idiot 2 is up $12.50 and what the gently caress happens to idiot 1? Does he get back a portion of idiot 2's referral bonus since idiot 2 was hosed over by idiot 3? If so, idiot 1 is now up $13.125 because why not, this makes perfect sense

:perfect:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

I think our friend has jumped down the Rabbit hole. Someone needs to let him know that Star Citizen isn't down there. Oh, and someone needs to go get him.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

So he's a confirmed Dr. Smart alt like many of us.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Some guy is going to be compelled to do one of those "reply to every single sentence piece by piece" retorts and either die of starvation or make Chris Roberts look up from writing an 8 hour email and go "What the gently caress dude calm down"

D_Smart posted:

I think our friend has jumped down the Rabbit hole. Someone needs to let him know that Star Citizen isn't down there. Oh, and someone needs to go get him.

We have to save him before he gets to the part where everyone's analysing your junk.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

OldSchoolCmdr is the real Derek Smart and the D_Smart SA forum poster is the Derek Smart from Iowa that has a warrant for a moving violation.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

holy july blog batman!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
OldSchoolCmdr is giving them an education they're not willing to take, how long until he is shadow banned?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Derek sued the IRS... :laffo::laffo::laffo:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

thatguy posted:

Derek sued the IRS... :laffo::laffo::laffo:

You can't say he doesn't aim high. First the IRS, then the almighty croberts.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Righty, I'll promise to try this week, no promises though

Bad kitty, bad, evil, wicked kitty.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

HycoCam posted:

I would need to wear darker brown pants for that kind of roughhousing...

And your red shirt.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Hey everybody,
I wanted to stop in and talk about some of the referral program feedback we’ve been seeing. I apologize for resurrecting your thread, but it seemed like a good place to share all of this. We wanted to take a few days to think things through and make sure we understand your feelings, and I think we’ve made some good progress.

The most important feedback to me is the concern over the new player experience. There’s a strong feeling that we should not be pushing new players into the game without a support network. Frankly, hearing that issue come up so much makes us very happy... because it reminds us that you care about Star Citizen in exactly the same way we do. It was heartening to see that so much of the reaction wasn’t about winning prizes or the space cat but about making sure everything is right before you share the world you helped build with your friends.

And that feedback is 100% correct. We often forget that the Citizens who make up the community today are a hardy bunch who have been through the fire of game development the same way we have. So we are on it! As you’ve already heard, we’re moving around some resources to support a new player initiative. That will take the form of additional video tutorials and beginner content to help bring people who haven’t been following us for so long into the ‘verse, and we’ve also passed your feedback on to the development side for their consideration.

Another big issue we’ve found is what has come across as the... I’d say urgency of the contest. Why such a push right now? That question has a few answers, and I’d like to talk about them. First of all, you are absolutely correct that we want new Citizens to join the game. But I know this has been categorized as a kind of ‘cash grab,’ and I want to add that I don’t think that’s the spirit of the thing at all. Why? Because we aren’t buying rocket cars and moon boots... we’re putting all that money back into your game. The more backers we bring in, the more staff we hire and the more we can do with the game. And that’s the dream we’ve been chasing, the one you’ve made possible: a game ruled by ideas that fights as hard as it can to always do better instead of being good enough. We try hard to make our marketing fun and immersive and part of the experience... so sometimes the sheer necessity gets lost. Every time we sell the game, development gets better. And there’s nothing else like that in the world.

That said, we agree with you that it does feel too TOO urgent. There are people who want the space bike who can’t imagine earning it in three months, there are people who want to wait until 3.0 to introduce their friends so they’ll see Star Citizen really shine... and we very much respect that. As a result, we’re going to be making some changes to the ladder, especially to add some more lower tier rewards for longtime supporters but also to give you more of a chance to get the unique items from the contest. Stay tuned for an announcement, and just don’t worry that you need to beg everyone to earn you a Dragonfly today!

Finally, I want to say a few words about the idea of recognizing referral program members. Another critique—a less common one, for sure, but still important—is that the contest rollout unfairly highlighted folks who have been referring since earlier days. Our feeling on this is twofold: one, yes we can absolutely see how that is the case... but two, we feel very strongly that backers who have been with us since the beginning and who have put so much effort into supporting the game, introducing new players and making the experience better for everyone SHOULD get a moment in the sun. If I could put every single person who has been part of the community all this time on AtV I would... but to my mind, it only makes sense that people who have given their blood, sweat and time to our dream should be honored. After all, one of the most wonderful things about Star Citizen is that every one of these people is just like you. Anyone can pick up an Aurora, anyone can stream the game, anyone can share the adventure... and we want the people that to do know how much we appreciate them.

I will close by thanking you for the feedback and also encouraging you to continue. What have I missed? What else do you need to know? I would also personally be very interested to know what you would like to see in a ladder update and what you’d like to see with regards to new player orientation. Anyone who tells you that this kind of criticism is bad or trouble or should be stifled is wrong; hearing from you in this (and everything) works exactly like supporting the game: it makes everything better. I’ll be reading!

Ben

Cheers for the repost. I went to go read it, but the Spectrum was down.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dooguk posted:

OK guys, self own, sorry if I upset anybody. Bad timing. Move on.

You can only hope and pray they MIGHT forget it some day. The average Goon's memory for failure is only paralleled by the stupidity of the Citizenry.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

I'm not 100% sure I believe you! :v:

You shouldn't. He's not legit...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

When you blow the money on fake WWII furniture, tons of useless motion capture, tons of motion capture hardware, tons of overseas flights, tons of vacations per year to exotic lands and ride boats there... you really, really got to think up something totally outrageous and stupid to make the dumb stuff you really are buying seem logical in comparison.

"Trips to Italy... yeah sure... but a moon boot or clown shoes oh hahaha no no silly person we'd never waste your money on silly stuff like that! Haha! Did you hear this guy? Moon boots and space rocket cars! Oh haha.. ouch! Caught myself on the rivet of this fake WWII fight airplane wing desk!"

FTFY.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 4, 2017

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I took way too long to notice I had been mentioned to be a Derek alt...

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Okay I actually read this and it is a Good Post

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Derek tell us about how you sued the IRS.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Legal after Derek told him they were going to sue the IRS:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

thatguy posted:

Derek tell us about how you sued the IRS.

Being an administrative warlord is a tough position.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
http://jalopnik.com/the-bmw-addiction-that-completely-destroyed-this-man-s-1794882542 (relevant to shitizens)

From: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568842&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=558

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Guess we found out what the good Dr's hobbies are.

e : taxxe

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

derek sueing the IRS is the best thing in the world. love it. old school commander is right, it does sound exactly like a perfect derek smart move

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RFw6FSYwdg&t=197s

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Mother of Christ

"Jaaane, stop this crazy thing!"

For real if I had the machine to run it I would metagame the PU, all the glitches are very much my jam

e: I never in my life have had problems with motion sickness from video games but the whole getting-out-of-the-wankpod thing is vomit inducing

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

:laugh:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Sir Derek, Warlord of Goonsvile, is it true that you sued Queen Victoria for your title of Sir?

If so, good show old chap. Jolly ho.

Parp be with you.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

quote:

My advice to all of you is to focus on the game and those making and playing it.

:ironicat:

I guess he'd know though, huh.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Though he could also mean "act like Derek" I guess. Wouldn't the sane suggestion be "focus on the game"? I mean, it's obviously not actually a good suggestion but you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necroid
May 14, 2009

wait isn't this

“That’s one of the things I find very attractive about [the project]: I don’t feel the pressure to have this one release be absolutely perfect,” Roberts said. “I feel like it’s an ongoing relationship with the people, the community … . And as things get better, we can improve it. We can improve the stories and add more content. It’s an ongoing process.”

the opposite of what he's been touting so far? that it's taking them so long for everything to be perfect unlike those other publisher-backed games?