Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Preordered on PC at the last minute to get that shotgun.

SHOTGUNS

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I played through the opening section until you get to the lobby. Runs at a flawless 60fps at 1080p on my i5 4590 and GTX 1060 with everything maxed out. Hasn't dropped a frame yet.

My only complaint so far is that some of the sound levels seem really loud, and that the music when a headcrab mimic comes along isn't really 'mixed' that well, for want of a better term. It will start playing, then stop suddenly, then start again. Seems to be related to the way that they hide themselves, but it's a bit jarring.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Holy cow this game is fantastic! I was super skeptical from the PS4 demo but PC runs like a dream on a GTX 970 no less on highest settings!!!

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Goddamnit Steam, what do you mean by less than an hour? It's been less than an hour for almost and hour now.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Amebx posted:

For some reason there is no such file in my folder. I've tried reinstalling, deleting saves, etc etc. There is a Profile and a SaveGames folder but no cfg.

That's weird. You could try setting the graphics detail settings to something different, then check again, maybe then it would generate the file?
Is your OS set to display hidden files? It's not hidden here though.

SoggyGravy posted:

Holy cow this game is fantastic! I was super skeptical from the PS4 demo but PC runs like a dream on a GTX 970 no less on highest settings!!!

:discourse:

quote:

Can anyone tell me how much trouble I'm going to have with a 2.8Ghz processor instead of the 3.1 in the requirements? RAM and 3d card ect are all good.

Try it! If it doesn't work out before 2 hours of play, you can refund from Steam.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 5, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh, and it bugs me that mouse sensitivity is lowered if you're sprinting. Minor gripes aside, the atmosphere so far is fantastic and I can't wait to get back to it.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

That's weird. You could try setting the graphics detail settings or something to something different, then check again, maybe then it would generate the file?
Is your OS set to display hidden files? It's not hidden here though.

It's not hidden. I even dropped another .cfg with the same name into the folder and it didn't overwrite anything. Maybe if i could use a copy of a game.cfg it would apply itself into the game but i dunno.

Worth mentioning that my graphics settings reset everytime i boot the game too. Controls are saved in a separate file.

Amebx fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 5, 2017

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
4 hours in and absolutely loving it. Only thing that could ruin it now is if it only lasts another 4.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Amebx posted:

It's not hidden. I even dropped another .cfg with the same name into the folder and it didn't overwrite anything. Maybe if i could use a copy of a game.cfg it would apply itself into the game but i dunno.

Worth mentioning that my graphics settings reset everytime i boot the game too. Controls are saved in a separate file.

Graphics setting reset, somethings jacked.
I know you said you reinstalled but I'd try validating the files through steam.

If you want, here is the contents of my game.cfg. 1080P / maxed with FOV @ 100:
code:

-- [Game-Configuration]
-- Attention: This file is re-generated by the system! Editing is not recommended! 

i_useSteamController = 0
sys_spec = 0
r_VSync = 1
r_Fullscreen = 1
r_Width = 1920
r_Height = 1080
r_overrideDXGIOutput = 0
sys_MaxFPS = 144
sys_spec_water = 4
sys_spec_volumetriceffects = 4
sys_spec_sound = 4
sys_spec_postprocessing = 4
sys_spec_physics = 4
sys_spec_light = 4
sys_spec_gameeffects = 4
sys_spec_particles = 4
sys_spec_shading = 4
cl_hfov = 100
r_arkssr = 2
r_arkssdo = 2
r_AntialiasingMode = 3
r_TexMaxAnisotropy = 16
sys_spec_texture = 4
sys_spec_shadows = 4
sys_spec_objectdetail = 4

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 5, 2017

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Graphics setting reset, somethings jacked.
I know you said you reinstalled but I'd try validating the files through steam.

(Do we have an Arkane or Bethesda dev or rep on SA??)

If you want, here is the contents of my game.cfg. 1080P / maxed with FOV @ 100.

Used your settings, it worked. Looks like it just had problems creating a file. Thanks for the help!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Amebx posted:

Used your settings, it worked. Looks like it just had problems creating a file. Thanks for the help!

Awesome. I hope if you change settings now it remembers them.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Game is great on PC! Been playing for like 13 hours, mostly following the main quest path, and is still only in the crew quarters. Being OCD about picking up everything means this will be a loong game. (At least I'm not insane enough to recycle-grenade everything that can't go in my inventory...) I'm also trying to do a no alien powers run, hoping that changes something related to the plot.

Also gently caress you Arkane for that jump scare in the looking glass room in the old space station director office - scared the poo poo out of me

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Thanks for the FOV fix, I just used it, what the hell that it isn't in the options yet. The game runs smooth as butter and also owns.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Cool. I'm really enjoying it. I've booked the day off work to kill headcrabs mimics, after sleep.

E- you can disable motion blur in the game.cfg file according to Reddit, but I don't mind the effect in this game at all.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 5, 2017

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
OK, just Broke out of my fake room and I came across the safe. If I am meticulous enough can I find the code to it? Or is it just something I will come across later?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Looking to confirm something - when you move between areas, do environments change? I don't mean in the sense of new mimics showing up, I mean things like corpses dropping where they weren't before. I could have sworn I cleaned out the men's bathroom in the Talos Lobby but then when I came back around after visiting my office, it was walled off with GLOO and a gloogun-wielding dead man was holed up inside. I just cleaned out Fabrication (vertical exploration in this game is surprisingly primo) and there's a new dead woman on the stairs to the Shuttle Bay, I know I would've seen and looted her if she were there before.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Basic Chunnel posted:

Looking to confirm something - when you move between areas, do environments change? I don't mean in the sense of new mimics showing up, I mean things like corpses dropping where they weren't before. I could have sworn I cleaned out the men's bathroom in the Talos Lobby but then when I came back around after visiting my office, it was walled off with GLOO and a gloogun-wielding dead man was holed up inside. I just cleaned out Fabrication (vertical exploration in this game is surprisingly primo) and there's a new dead woman on the stairs to the Shuttle Bay, I know I would've seen and looted her if she were there before.

Yup, things seem to change a little bit as you progress through the game. Noticed that bathroom thing in the Demo too, so it's not limited to area changes.

Knifegrab posted:

OK, just Broke out of my fake room and I came across the safe. If I am meticulous enough can I find the code to it? Or is it just something I will come across later?

You'll come across it later. But if you just want to open it now, the code is 5150

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So I turned on all subtitles and noticed something during my first fight with the second enemy type. they speak?? I think it commented on my health dropping while murdering me as well. It dropped itens that only make sense if they're human, to boot.

The audio was hard to hear though. I can't tell if that is intentional or an audio mixing problem.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
GTX 1070, 4770 i7, 8GB RAM, 2560x1440 and I'm averaging 90 frames even in large, detailed areas. Lowest I've seen it drop was to around 50 when there were multiple mimics on screen, turrets shooting them, and me spraying foam all over the place. Really liking the atmosphere even though all I've done so far is kill shadow headcrabs, looking forward to playing a longer session tomorrow.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Mindblast posted:

So I turned on all subtitles and noticed something during my first fight with the second enemy type. they speak?? I think it commented on my health dropping while murdering me as well. It dropped itens that only make sense if they're human, to boot.

The audio was hard to hear though. I can't tell if that is intentional or an audio mixing problem.
Yes, it's part of the lore you can pick up in the first two zones of the game. But more than that, it's a System Shock 2 reference.

I'll say that so far, Prey is the best SS2 tribute to come out of the immersive sim mini-industry (plus Dead Space) so far. It doesn't have that extra bit of SS2 that made it special (the dread that came out of extreme difficulty borne from endearably haphazard drsign) but it's trying.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is it just me or is the dynamic music a bit better than it was in the demo? It may be because it takes me a bit longer to kill mimics on console, but there were times that the music would keep going on after you killed the enemies while you explored. The full game feels like it is a bit better about that.

I hope I didn't indirectly spoil myself by switching from Man Yu to Fem Yu, but I am probably thinking too much about it.

Game is running flawlessly on my ancient i7 920 and not so ancient GTX 970 on Very High. Game is pretty drat optimized.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Anyone getting horrific texture issues? The game runs extremely well but everytime I walk into a room I see the textures start to pop in, and some just remain forever blurry. It really bugs me.

This is with all the settings at Very High....

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Is it a safe bet to rush necropsy so I can fabricate more neuromods?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I haven't run into that. Your GPU manufacturer release new drivers yet?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

Yes, it's part of the lore you can pick up in the first two zones of the game. But more than that, it's a System Shock 2 reference.

I'll say that so far, Prey is the best SS2 tribute to come out of the immersive sim mini-industry (plus Dead Space) so far. It doesn't have that extra bit of SS2 that made it special (the dread that came out of extreme difficulty borne from endearably haphazard drsign) but it's trying.

Aha. Thats interesting! The sound levels themselves still feel off though, unintentionally so.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

I haven't run into that. Your GPU manufacturer release new drivers yet?

They did, which is annoying. Maybe Nvidia just dropped the ball here or something.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They did, which is annoying. Maybe Nvidia just dropped the ball here or something.

What are your system specs.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm on Nvidia and I don't get that.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Push the fat man, always.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well I found out my video card was running at uh..83c so maybe that was why. Oops.
I'm using a GTX 660 though.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
This game is.. good? I didn't even know it existed or Arkane made it before yesterday.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mehrunes posted:

I didn't even know it existed or Arkane made it before yesterday.

Likewise. I think a combination of the name and Bethesda's legendarily inept marketing department has meant it's flown under lots of people's radars. I'm still not quite sure why they've used the 'Prey' name when the game seemingly has nothing to do with the old one.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
System Shock 3 is probably trademarked.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Knifegrab posted:

That was the first thing I went for, along with rushing to increase inventory space. Actual combat and utility stuff is good, but it's usually best to get the basic upgrades out of the way first especially if one of them gets you more material though the whole game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

*edit doy I read "Psychotropy" for some reason. Yeah, 100%. Mineral blocks have been my bottleneck thus far.

Here's my original, irrelevant post:

There's an easier way, in the first two areas.

Look around the Lobby zone for the keycode to the first zone's Volunteer Center (second floor, above the biomod display). Use that to get into the pitch-dark Center, behind one of the desks is a maintenance hatch. Use Gloo to shimmy up the walls to a connective tunnel that will lead you to Fabrication. You'll find some Recycling grenades. You'll also be able to get the drop on a very large, slow and nasty monster.

You can try to stealth around it or make some accurate throws with the Recycle grenades to kill it. Around there should be a keycard for the head engineer's office, which is up on the floor from where you got the jump on the evil hover tank thing. Go back around through the maintenance tunnels again and you'll get into the head engineer's office, where you'll find the neuromod schematic and a scene with ominous implications.

It goes without saying that if you want to do a neuromod hoarding run, you'll want to invest in Necropsy and loot as many mimic carcasses as you can find.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mehrunes posted:

System Shock 3 is probably trademarked.

Sure, but why give it the baggage of the name? If I'm skimming an article or browsing forums or something and I see mention of Prey, I automatically think of the 2006 game and don't care. If I see Dishonored developer is making a new IP and spiritual successor to System Shock then my ears prick up and I take some time to search up some details. Just seems like a weird decision is all.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well I found out my video card was running at uh..83c so maybe that was why. Oops.
I'm using a GTX 660 though.

Odds are that card only has 2gb video memory. Are you running textures maxed out? It could easily not be a bug, but instead be caused by lack of vram.

Turn down your texture quality.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mindblast posted:

Odds are that card only has 2gb video memory. Are you running textures maxed out? It could easily not be a bug, but instead be caused by lack of vram.

Turn down your texture quality.

Yeah that's probably the issue. Definitely going to do that, thanks.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

I just grabbed the first Neuromod so I'm hoping so! It was either this, hacking, or repair and I figured that a little delay now would get me to more Neuromods later.

e: Or, I'll just have enough Neuromods to get Necropsy by the time I get to my office thanks to what I assume is a preorder bonus. Hrm. So far, the game atmosphere is fantastic and I'm nicely paranoid about everything. Very SS2-ish so far.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

Sure, but why give it the baggage of the name? If I'm skimming an article or browsing forums or something and I see mention of Prey, I automatically think of the 2006 game and don't care. If I see Dishonored developer is making a new IP and spiritual successor to System Shock then my ears prick up and I take some time to search up some details. Just seems like a weird decision is all.

Who knows, probably someone in marketing, as far as I'm concerned they can rename themselves Looking Glass Studios if they want at the rate this is going.