Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
probably just the memory cache there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Watching coworkers run du -h / on mounts that range between hundreds of terabytes up to petabyte mounts.

"You know the SANs run index reports right? It automatically provide the largest n files."

"I'm just used to doing this"

:eng99: I'm sure our storage engineers appreciate your enthusiasm for efficiency.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

Yeah, if its a quick search that's all i really need. If i need more I'd rather have control of the resource intensive filesystem search.

Different use cases, I guess -- usually if I'm searching for something it's not in $PATH, I'm looking for a document or a music file or a disc image or something rather than an executable program. And if something is in $PATH I usually don't need to care where.

quote:

Interestingly, I've noticed that find seems to save an index of searches it has done recently. Try doing a find on /, interrupt it, then run it again. It will kick out the results it had already found much more quickly.

That's the block cache at work! When you read stuff from disk the OS caches the results in whatever memory is free -- this is the "cache" line in top or the orange bars in htop. If you ask for it again it gets served from memory rather than from disk and is thus much faster. find itself doesn't know or care about this, it's all handled by the kernel.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Is it possible these days for flash to work decent on linux? The tv station here (abc.net.au) pretty much runs on flash for video and games and I'm not having any luck getting it working well on an old PC I'm building for my kid.
I don't remember having this much problems when I chucked mint on my old dell vostro years ago besides installing google chrome to get that site working. I don't know if it's chrome/chromium loving it up with their changes or abc doing something though.
But anyway, tried a few deb/ubuntu based distros and firefox works but image quailty is rubbish/can't get rid of borders on full screen mode but flash games work. Chrome and chromium don't have the border problem but image quality even worse and flash games don't work at all - they load but can;t click start.

Do I have to buy a loving windows licence just for flash on one website? Or is there some work around?
I've tried ubuntu 14 based systems all the way up to the latest mint 18.1
Is it a browser issue, GPU driver issue, flash issue or desktop variant type issue, does anyone know?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 3, 2017

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
That an (apparently major) TV station still uses Flash for video streaming is a disgrace. Flash is pretty much a security vulnerability at this point.

What happens when you do try to read a Flash video? Do you have any error message or anything? More details would help troubleshooting.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Flash videos load and run, just really poor quality. Flash games work in mozilla fine, they just don't start in chrome - ie they don't respond to mouse pointer clicks even when the pointer changes to a hand.

I reinstalled chrome to see any improvement, and then extracted the tar from adobe's site into user/bin/flash.
At this stage I'm wondering if it's hardware (old 4400+ cpu, 2gb ram, ATI x800 GPU) or drivers. There's no ATI drivers for mint 18.1, I killed the system trying to get some on there. But that doesn't explain why games don't respond to the mouse in chrome but it does in firefox.

I just checked my old dell vostro with nvidia GPU and proper drivers and mint 17.1 and chrome browser. Same thing, flash games don't start. I never had a problem with video playback in that site before though using flash as far as video or even any other flash site.

It just might be the website loving everything up. I knew it was a big pain years ago when everyone with linux was forced to use the google chrome browser to watch anything there. The tv company cares more about developing for ios and android these days and keeps loving around with flash for PCs.

Anyone got flash and want to check the childrens videos and games there? Could be something not enabled on flash or browser for me because of the old cpu and gpu, or lack of any proper ati drivers.

http://www.abc.net.au/abcforkids/

EE: It might be geolocked to australia like abc iview is. But come to mention that I never had a problem with flash on my old dell laptop running mint for anything and that's equally old hardware. It's just that kids sub-site

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 3, 2017

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Only issue I have had with Flash on Linux has been DRM related. The TV stations here in NZ use Flash for all of their online video stuff so I feel your pain. I think the DRM depends on an obsolete kernel component or similar.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Weird thing is the PC also has winXP on it so for a laugh I got online with it and mozilla firefox 11 with obsolete or maybe even non existant flash.
Wouldn't load any videos on the abc kids site (loaded the page even without any missing/or update flash messages where the video should play). But it could load the games and play them fine.
Maybe the games on their site aren't flash even though all the videos are?
If that's the case then there's another problem besides flash when using a debian/ubuntu/mint distro with this site as far as the games? Trying to work it out because my kids only 4 and this is the only site he uses/is allowed to use.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
This is a bit off-topic but as a young dad myself (son is almost 3), my plan was to get him a Raspberry around ~4 with some emulator on it and just watch him humiliate me at Super Mario Bros. I reckon it's actually safer (and also easier to make it work) than opening the world wide web. Just a thought!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Flash exists on Linux, adobe actually backtracked on killing it and recently put out a shiny new up to date version iirc.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

feedmegin posted:

Flash exists on Linux, adobe actually backtracked on killing it and recently put out a shiny new up to date version iirc.
It's just a security patch. Don't expect it to run recent versions of Adobe PrimeTime-protected content. You still need Pipelight for that, which is becoming a worse and worse option as more sites transition towards having only the actual player component itself be Flash with all the controls overlaid on top in HTML.

Should be fine for games, just don't expect, say, Nick Jr. video content to load.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 3, 2017

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Furism posted:

This is a bit off-topic but as a young dad myself (son is almost 3), my plan was to get him a Raspberry around ~4 with some emulator on it and just watch him humiliate me at Super Mario Bros. I reckon it's actually safer (and also easier to make it work) than opening the world wide web. Just a thought!

Similar here, putting together a Pi with retropie installed for some fun gaming for cheap/easy with my young ones (4 and 2). Just having some issues with the Bluetooth controller I acquired suddenly not being detected. I suspect it is because it is a cheapie off AliExpress.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Varkk posted:

Similar here, putting together a Pi with retropie installed for some fun gaming for cheap/easy with my young ones (4 and 2). Just having some issues with the Bluetooth controller I acquired suddenly not being detected. I suspect it is because it is a cheapie off AliExpress.

I got the 8bitdo SNES controller, the quality is outstanding. Haven't had any issues with it, and it feels just like a real SNES controller.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Furism posted:

For my 3yo we're just putting together a desktop out of spare parts. Dosbox, BIT.TRIP RUNNER and Crypt of the Necrodancer will keep him occupied for hours.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

feedmegin posted:

Apparently there's two versions though, ppapi and npapi IIRC. npapi is the basic old flash and security updates only. ppapi is the full featured one that only comes with google chrome and still seems to suck arse in linux and is probably the one the abckids website requires, but still doesn't work well on kids games site, while old flash/firefox npapi does work in games but not their video very well
Overall just looks like bad implemention on this site mainly, not linux/flash itself. But that means if I want to use that site, I need windaz

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 4, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
What's the best way to give someone access to a server if we're not authing against a centralized LDAP/AD instance? I can create a user account and fill out their authorized_keys file, but if they need to have a password, like for sudo, is there something I can use? Do I just give them a random password?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ok, I need help

I was trying to upgrade MySQL on my linux Mint 17.3 (with KDE) from 5.5 to 5.7.

Following the guides at mysql, I first upgraded it to 5.6, which worked without problems. Then I downloaded mysql-apt-config_0.8.5-1_all.deb and run it, choose "ubuntu trusty" (because there is no Mint on the list), ran apt-get update and then apt-get install mysq-server, like instructed.

But I got this error:

code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 mysql-server : Depends: mysql-community-server (= 5.7.18-1ubuntu14.04) but it is not going to be installed
And then I got stuck. Ive tried removing all installed mysql stuff: I can unistall everything except mysql-common. If I try removing it, it gives me a scary huge list of dependencies that includes a bunch of KDE components

If I try aptitude install mysql-server (like I saw recommend elsewhere), it gives me this scary possible solution:

The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
code:

Remove the following packages:      
1)      akonadi-backend-mysql             
2)      akonadi-facebook                  
3)      akonadi-kde-resource-googledata   
4)      akonadi-server                    
5)      deluge                            
6)      deluge-gtk                        
7)      kde-config-telepathy-accounts     
8)      kde-telepathy                     
9)      kde-telepathy-auth-handler        
10)     kde-telepathy-contact-list        
11)     kde-telepathy-declarative         
12)     kde-telepathy-desktop-applets     
13)     kde-telepathy-filetransfer-handler
14)     kde-telepathy-integration-module  
15)     kde-telepathy-minimal             
16)     kde-telepathy-send-file           
17)     kde-telepathy-text-ui             
18)     kde-workspace                     
19)     kde-workspace-bin                 
20)     kdepim-runtime                    
21)     kdeplasma-addons                  
22)     knotes                            
23)     kontact                           
24)     konversation                      
25)     korganizer                        
26)     kscreensaver                      
27)     libkpeople3                       
28)     libktpcommoninternalsprivate7     
29)     mariadb-server-core-5.5           
30)     mysql-client-core-5.5             
31)     plasma-dataengines-workspace      
32)     plasma-desktop                    
33)     plasma-widgets-addons             
34)     plasma-widgets-workspace  
wtf? Why?

Worst yet, I cant even install mysql 5.5 back. Purging mysql-apt-config and trying apt-get mysql-server again gives me this awesome error:
code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 mysql-server : Depends: mysql-server-5.5 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
What can I do? Short of reinstalling the whole system, which is really not an option now

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Maybe try mariadb since it's basically the same and also better supported post-fork?

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

anthonypants posted:

What's the best way to give someone access to a server if we're not authing against a centralized LDAP/AD instance? I can create a user account and fill out their authorized_keys file, but if they need to have a password, like for sudo, is there something I can use? Do I just give them a random password?

Can't you just let them run passwd?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

An Enormous Boner posted:

Can't you just let them run passwd?
Newly-created accounts do not have a password, and passwd (or chage) will ask them for their old password. If they're in the wheel group they can sudo passwd username, but sudo will ask them for their current password, and they do not have a current password.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Sheeeeeit

edit: wait, no it won't. adduser, enter blank password repeatedly. passwd -d username

User runs passwd. First prompt is "new password:"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Paul MaudDib posted:

Maybe try mariadb since it's basically the same and also better supported post-fork?

Does it support the new JSON data type?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Elias_Maluco posted:

PostgreSQL does :)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

An Enormous Boner posted:

Sheeeeeit

edit: wait, no it won't. adduser, enter blank password repeatedly. passwd -d username

User runs passwd. First prompt is "new password:"
Awesome, passwd -d is what I was looking for! Thanks!

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
What is the Linux equivalent of Windows domains? I mean, a system of using the same centrally-managed user accounts across hundreds/thousands of servers. CentOS/Ubuntu in scope. Can Linux machines be just joined to a Windows domain and the same accounts shared directly?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Elias_Maluco posted:

This?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

EssOEss posted:

What is the Linux equivalent of Windows domains? I mean, a system of using the same centrally-managed user accounts across hundreds/thousands of servers. CentOS/Ubuntu in scope. Can Linux machines be just joined to a Windows domain and the same accounts shared directly?
[/

[quote="EssOEss" post="472036612"]

You can use Samba for authentication against a Windows domain. The general name for the protocol is Kerberos. Start looking at that and what the options are.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Nope, this https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/json.html

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Varkk posted:

You can use Samba for authentication against a Windows domain. The general name for the protocol is Kerberos. Start looking at that and what the options are.

You can also run OpenLDAP for a solution that doesn't require a Windows domain at all.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I have been a Linux user on-and-off for 15 years or so, but haven't really used it much on a laptop for at least 5 years or something.

I've realized that I don't really play much games on laptop any more, so thought I'd just go full Linux on my new one (Dell XPS 13).

What distros should I be considering?

Usage will mainly be dev-related things, and various normal desktop things like surfing the web and whatnot.
Have typically been using Ubuntu for my last few installs, but I have played around with Debian, Slackware and at some point Gentoo and some other ones a long while ago.

Should I just be safe and boring and go with Ubuntu, or is there some new cool trendy distro that all the cool devs are using?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

EssOEss posted:

Active Directory is not magic. It's Kerberos+ldap+DNS+DHCP.

Kerberos provides single sign on

LDAP holds GPOs, OUs (which are not Microsoft specific), and details about your user (email address, name, cubicle, etc)

DNS and DHCP are basically there because Kerberos needs DNS resolution, and they tied in ddns. You can disable this part of AD, though.

You can roll your own solution on Linux, use IPA, auth to AD with winbind, or use AD as kerberos+ldap by itself. AD usually requires anonymous LDAP binds to be enabled for this, but Microsoft provides LDIFs for unix-likes (to add appropriate LDAP objects).

What's really missing are GPOs, which don't work on non-Windows clients authenticating to AD, but config management systems generally handle that aspect

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Buffis posted:

I have been a Linux user on-and-off for 15 years or so, but haven't really used it much on a laptop for at least 5 years or something.

I've realized that I don't really play much games on laptop any more, so thought I'd just go full Linux on my new one (Dell XPS 13).

Usage will mainly be dev-related things, and various normal desktop things like surfing the web and whatnot.
Have typically been using Ubuntu for my last few installs, but I have played around with Debian, Slackware and at some point Gentoo and some other ones a long while ago.

Should I just be safe and boring and go with Ubuntu, or is there some new cool trendy distro that all the cool devs are using?

Stick with Fedora or Ubuntu. They both work really well out of the box and require minimal fussing around. I use Fedora 25 on an XPS 13 HiDPI and it works pretty flawlessly. HiDPI support still isn't 100% on Linux, so beware of odd scaling issues if you're looking at that version.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Buffis posted:

I have Ubuntu on my XPS13 and it works flawlessly. All of the keyboard buttons, suspend on close, wifi, battery life, etc.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Buffis posted:

Always use Ubuntu, everything else is just a trendy way to have a bad time.

Linux is already bad enough, etc.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Its finally happening.

Full MP3 support coming soon to Fedora
https://fedoramagazine.org/full-mp3-support-coming-soon-to-fedora/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

waffle iron posted:

Its finally happening.

Full MP3 support coming soon to Fedora
https://fedoramagazine.org/full-mp3-support-coming-soon-to-fedora/

lol, this world is crazy.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
drat! I just finished converting all of my mp3s to ogg-vorbis. Guess I'll just convert back now.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Buffis posted:

You're probably going to want at least kernel 4.11 (rc 2) as that adds some NVMe specific patches that reduces power consumption by a bit. With my 9360, powertop was indicating a discharge rate of 15W on 4.10.x but with linux-mainline (>4.11 rc 2), it's at around 9W.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone know how to disable the trackpad while typing in Ubuntu? Specifically 17.04 on a T450S. Googled a few things but they just turn the drat thing off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Tigren posted:

drat! I just finished converting all of my mp3s to ogg-vorbis. Guess I'll just convert back now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos