Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This is my actual hobbit-grade master bathroom. You have to stand behind the toilet to close the door. I don't use the shower because it has a cracked floor pan. The sink is in the carpeted room to the right.

This house has three full baths, why is the first floor bathroom the biggest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

The Bloop posted:

I recommend you begin cutting holes in everything in sight immediately.

Research is for pansy idiot suckers and dorks.

I went in the crawl space and pre-cut all my floor joists last weekend, my dude. I'm ahead of schedule.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

FogHelmut posted:

This is my actual hobbit-grade master bathroom. You have to stand behind the toilet to close the door. I don't use the shower because it has a cracked floor pan. The sink is in the carpeted room to the right.

I remember in architecture class that you had to have a certain amount of clearance on each side of a toilet or it's not to code.

I say architecture class, but I really mean the CAD class I took in high school as an elective.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Psh would you all take a look at Megabound's enormous bathroom, it even has enough space for a little table.

(I wish my bathroom had enough room for a little table :( )

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

learnincurve posted:

Psh would you all take a look at Megabound's enormous bathroom, it even has enough space for a little table.

(I wish my bathroom had enough room for a little table :( )

Everyone should aspire to have an eat-in bathroom.

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007
A nice bathroom is not going to impress women that much. If a woman says they like it in the shitter, it means something different.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CerealCrunch posted:

A nice bathroom is not going to impress women that much. If a woman says they like it in the shitter, it means something different.

Good Goon wisdom right there.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

CerealCrunch posted:

Woman: "Oh I'm a total tub girl, if you know what I mean"

OP: "I think I know what you mean"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Look Sir Droids posted:

1. Replace insert with a garden tub (Wife requested, OP!). Not 100% sure it would fit in that space, but I think it's likely. Purpose for renovating at all falls apart if we can't get a bigger tub.

If a garden tub doesn't fit, there are some tub options that will give you a nicer sit-and-soak experience than the standard modern tub.

1. Clawfoot tub. Can look classy as gently caress. Not any longer or wider than a standard tub, but can be much deeper. So you can have your boobs and knees underwater at the same time. Get the authentic cast iron for a tub that will last longer than your house.

2. Prepare for old age with a walk in tub. Again the same footprint as a standard tub (or smaller) but deep.

Look how happy she is! Old age never goes out of style.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

FogHelmut posted:

Does the wall to the right of the commode have switches and/or lights on either side? If not--have you thought of changing the door to a pocket door?

Hidden:
http://www.johnsonhardware.com/ImageGalleryDetails/139

Easier retro:
http://www.johnsonhardware.com/ImageGalleryDetails/81

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I would never trust that door

Edit:. I meant the walk in tub door

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

If a garden tub doesn't fit, there are some tub options that will give you a nicer sit-and-soak experience than the standard modern tub.

1. Clawfoot tub. Can look classy as gently caress. Not any longer or wider than a standard tub, but can be much deeper. So you can have your boobs and knees underwater at the same time. Get the authentic cast iron for a tub that will last longer than your house.

2. Prepare for old age with a walk in tub. Again the same footprint as a standard tub (or smaller) but deep.

Look how happy she is! Old age never goes out of style.

Whoa, a walk in tub!

It's like a bucket that holds you. :3:

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Pocket doors are terrible and a mark of a bad design.

What im saying is the OPs dream groverhaus is built entirely out of pocket doors.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Facebook Aunt posted:

People who think this have never had to clean under and behind a clawfoot tub. Picture the scunge that collects behind a toilet on the floor, but 5 feet back (if you were silly enough to put it close to a wall) and/or several feet back under the tub.

Having lived in an apartment with a clawfoot tub that had been handyman-converted to an alcove tub using plywood and vast quantities of caulking, and bought a house with a clawfoot tub (which was immediately removed - the things I found behind it were horrifying), and in several places with alcove tubs, I know exactly which I'm choosing, drat the lack of style.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Everyone in this thread is bathing in a clawfoot tub that has fallen through the floor and into the living room, so there's plenty of room to clean.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

WrenP-Complete posted:

Whoa, a walk in tub!

It's like a bucket that holds you. :3:

We considered a walk-in tub for our own bathroom renovation, but they are A) ridiculously expensive and B) supposedly not terribly convenient.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Disabled and very elderly people who refuse to go into a home get them for free in the UK. Person who buys my Nan's house is getting an awesome walk in bath/shower combo.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

HycoCam posted:

Does the wall to the right of the commode have switches and/or lights on either side? If not--have you thought of changing the door to a pocket door?

Hidden:
http://www.johnsonhardware.com/ImageGalleryDetails/139

Easier retro:
http://www.johnsonhardware.com/ImageGalleryDetails/81

There's a switch on that wall inside the toilet room, and a new work outlet on the sink side - connected to the breaker that the lights are on, whereas the other outlet on the other side of the sink is on a separate breaker. I did not install this.

At some point in the future when we get some cash and time, we are gutting this bathroom. This is why I clicked on this thread in the first place back when it was still on the first page. Instead of the good ideas and skillful methods I was hoping for, I got to see this amazing thread take shape.

Considering just reversing the door in the meantime.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pocket doors are poo poo for any sort of sound proofing, and the barn style sliders given even less.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

kastein posted:

People who think this have never had to clean under and behind a clawfoot tub. Picture the scunge that collects behind a toilet on the floor, but 5 feet back (if you were silly enough to put it close to a wall) and/or several feet back under the tub.

Having lived in an apartment with a clawfoot tub that had been handyman-converted to an alcove tub using plywood and vast quantities of caulking, and bought a house with a clawfoot tub (which was immediately removed - the things I found behind it were horrifying), and in several places with alcove tubs, I know exactly which I'm choosing, drat the lack of style.

I've lived in several old houses that had claw foot tubs. Yeah, that area at the back is hard to clean. But it's also hard to see. So just don't think about it. :v:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

learnincurve posted:

Disabled and very elderly people who refuse to go into a home get them for free in the UK. Person who buys my Nan's house is getting an awesome walk in bath/shower combo.
That's cool, here the elderly and disabled are given a piece of paper that says 'Go gently caress yourself'.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Slugworth posted:

That's cool, here the elderly and disabled are given a piece of paper that says 'Go gently caress yourself'.

After a hard-fought battle in the senate, Democrats succeeded in getting it upgraded to large-print type.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

After a hard-fought battle in the senate, Democrats succeeded in getting it upgraded to large-print type.
Still no Braille though :(

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

glynnenstein posted:

Everyone in this thread is bathing in a clawfoot tub that has fallen through the floor and into the living room, so there's plenty of room to clean.

Your tub can't fall through the floor if you pre-sink it.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Well that looks like a death trap. Doubly so if that's the toilet to the bottom right.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Who What Now posted:

We considered a walk-in tub for our own bathroom renovation, but they are A) ridiculously expensive and B) supposedly not terribly convenient.

They are ridiculously expensive. It has to have a door that seals like a submarine to prevent leaks.

The inconvenient part is that since you have to open the door to get in and out, so you have to sit there like a chump while the water fills and drains. Some of them have pumps to make that part faster, but that makes them even more expensive. Though if you are young and agile I suppose you could parkour your way in and out of the tub without opening the door.

I'd love to try one some day, they look comfortable.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Drape Culture posted:

I would drunk fall into that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd trip backwards while pissing. There's what, 2' in front of the toilet to stand and then a big tile lip and a pit?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'd love to try one some day, they look comfortable.

Have you ever sat in a hot tub? It's that, except less space for your bros.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

...Though if you are young and agile I suppose you could parkour your way in and out of the tub without opening the door.
Yes, but also the dumbest way to die.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

Lord Awkward posted:

Well that looks like a death trap. Doubly so if that's the toilet to the bottom right.

Oh that's definitely the toilet.

Also bonus since I know how much you all love tile counters

Vargatron posted:

I would drunk fall into that.

There's a safety lip. Or something.

It's really a miracle that people managed to survive the 60s.

e: reversed the links

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Drape Culture posted:

Someone must have gotten a hell of a deal on tile.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Snak posted:

Yes, but also the dumbest way to die.

Drape Culture posted:

You two can argue about that one.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Drape Culture posted:

Ugh honestly I think the thing I hate most about that bathroom is the super-low counters. I'm a fairly regular-height person but every time I had a lovely apartment with those kneeknockers my spine would hate me every time I tried to brush my teeth.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
How can you possibly hate anything more then the hundreds of tiny grout lines?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want a tile bathroom but the entire bathroom is just one big tile.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

The End.

Baronjutter posted:

I want a tile bathroom but the entire bathroom is just one big tile.

Not just tile, tile with gold leaf on it.

This is what happens when the house is built by a tile installer. I'd show you more but that is easily its own thread.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Patrick Spens posted:

How can you possibly hate anything more then the hundreds of tiny grout lines?

I can hate two things :colbert:

But if I had to choose, and I have in many a bad apartment over the years, I'll take hard to clean but sized for an adult human over the reverse any day.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

The End.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I can hate two things :colbert:

But if I had to choose, and I have in many a bad apartment over the years, I'll take hard to clean but sized for an adult human over the reverse any day.

They're actually normal sized, I'm just 6'8" so the perspective makes it look weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Drape Culture posted:

They're actually normal sized, I'm just 6'8" so the perspective makes it look weird.

Whoa you've actually been in this place? I thought it was just something from the internet. How's the tile bedroom? Firm, clammy mattress?

• Locked thread