Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
??? starcrash is an amazing movie what are you talking about

TVs Ian posted:

I feel like it probably wasn't shown in theaters. It was basically an ad for the plane dressed up like a movie.

In the episode guide from years ago, they also mentioned trying to figure out who it was intended for, and figured maybe it was shown as like, on-base entertainment or something. That seems to be about the most likely explanation.

I love how often the cinematography features people's heads against a blue sky during conversations. It's borderline pop art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

??? starcrash is an amazing movie what are you talking about

I wish more movies had a dozen crazy costume changes, and I'm not being ironic.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Not Operator posted:

I wish more movies had a dozen crazy costume changes, and I'm not being ironic.

Yeah, it was just painfully bad in so many ways. The riffing was good but I wanted to shut it off forever during the other parts.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

mangler103 posted:

My all time favorite is Pod people. The run with Trumpy walking down the line of caged animals and Trace doing his 'potatoes' bit wth that voice is the moment I fell in love with the show. Also the first episode I got to watch all the way through.

Pod People is a great one, but there's something about the movie that's somehow... tiring to watch. It's one of those movies where it feels like I'm coming up for air when Cambot pulls back and that first door slams shut.

My favorite from the Joel era has got to be Cave Dwellers. It just hits on all cylinders. The riffing is spot-on, the host segments are great, even the movie itself is goofy enough to be enjoyable.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I fall asleep halfway through half of this shows episodes. That's a feature as far as I'm concerned.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chokes McGee posted:

Add Jack Frost to the list.

Do not watch Future War under any circumstance, even being held at gunpoint. You've been warned.

future war has Robert loving Z'Dar in it, gently caress you!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I decided today's film will be Future War, starting Jean Claude Goshdarn and Maybe Ving Rhames.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Cracks me the gently caress up every time.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

boner confessor posted:

future war has Robert loving Z'Dar in it, gently caress you!

I know a lot of people like it for some unfathomable, incomprehensible reason but the only thing I remember about it was boxes, Z'Dar's chin, and the plot being so God awful I started chewing on a couch pillow halfway through.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The main thing I always remember about Future War is Forrest J. Ackerman's cameo.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Keromaru5 posted:

The main thing I always remember about Future War is Forrest J. Ackerman's cameo.

he's in everything. he was in the time travelers also, as the dude who was making round things into square things

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Future War was also covered by Best of the Worst, so I went in forewarned.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm a big fan of Wild Rebels. Is that streaming anywhere?

"Oh my God! Banjo exploded!"

"Look out for biker shrapnel."

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Complete Cinematic Titanic is set to be released on August 8th.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Where can I pre-order? I'm glad they're doing it complete, rather than piecemeal.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shout's web store. It's $40 for everything, including War of the Insects which I don't think was ever released.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

It's also on Amazon for $50 currently.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I wonder if they ever recorded The Doll Squad which I saw them do live and was very funny.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Keromaru5 posted:

I will never not love the cardboard TV camera.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Fezz posted:

I wonder if they ever recorded The Doll Squad which I saw them do live and was very funny.

That set has everything that was officially released. I imagine if they had some of the other ones, it would come out with this set. It's too bad, really.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

precision posted:

Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2 is such a classic episode in large part because the film, on its own, is loving hilarious and not really "bad" the way that say Manos is "bad" (where bad means more "boring/incoherent" than anything)

I agree with this. The movie is stupid as hell, but moves around at the perfect pace for an MST3K episode.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

duz posted:

It's also on Amazon for $50 currently.

Shout Factory has it for $39.95 (plus shipping). So, if you have Prime, you could save about $4.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

The Wasp Woman is such a fantastic episode, worth it for that alone. I have most of them and still thinking I'll pick this up.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Why has Netflix not renewed this show yet.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Ballz posted:

Why has Netflix not renewed this show yet.

I don't see Joel and Jonah etc begging people to watch the episodes on Netflix, so I imagine they're reasonably confident, or at least haven't been given a reason to worry. That's about the best sign I've got.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm a big fan of Wild Rebels. Is that streaming anywhere?

"Oh my God! Banjo exploded!"

"Look out for biker shrapnel."

"She's wearin her man's Van Heusen..."
"...and he's wearin a beer!"

One thing I miss in the reboot is the camera work of the older episodes. Like they're singing the Wild Rebels cereal song, the camera zooms out when Magic Voice asks them what they're doing, then snap zooms back in after they say "Having a nutritious breakfast, mom!"

Cambot really felt like a camera with AI. Maybe this will improve in later seasons.

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 6, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gaz2k21 posted:

Goons, I'm going to rewatch an episode of the new season which should I go for??

Cry Wilderness or Wizards of the Lost Kingdom (both of them, suffer)

Honestly though all the new episodes had a baseline level of quality that only a few seasons of the original kept up (thinking seasons 2, 3, 5 and 8 maybe?)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
So I just finished watching the new MST episodes on Netflix (aside from the Xmas one, which I will save for the appropriate time of year). Overall I'd say I enjoyed them quite a bit. It wasn't a perfect season, but I attribute that to new cast + accelerated shooting schedule. If Netflix renews them for more episodes (here's hoping), I'm sure they'll find their feet much like the original cast did over time.

Probably my favorite episodes were Warriors of the Lost World I & II, mainly because they both brought back fond memories of the big D&D/fantasy boom when I was a kid in the 1980s.

And really, any season that has not one but two movies featuring Caroline Munro is automatically a winner in my book. :quagmire:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

"She's wearin her man's Van Heusen..."
"...and he's wearin a beer!"

One thing I miss in the reboot is the camera work of the older episodes. Like they're singing the Wild Rebels cereal song, the camera zooms out when Magic Voice asks them what they're doing, then snap zooms back in after they say "Having a nutritious breakfast, mom!"

Cambot really felt like a camera with AI. Maybe this will improve in later seasons.

This reminds me, did Magic Voice even exist in the new season?

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Light Gun Man posted:

I didn't hear Magic Voice. They dropped the "commercial sign in..." thing, and anything else she might have been used for the new Gypsy voice took over.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

Come to think of it, didn't Magic Voice pretty much dissapear once the Sci Fi era rolled around?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

mangler103 posted:

I don't see Joel and Jonah etc begging people to watch the episodes on Netflix, so I imagine they're reasonably confident, or at least haven't been given a reason to worry. That's about the best sign I've got.

Joel addressed this on Comedy Bang Bang. He said that he realized, after the fact, how much a bad kickstarter experience could have poisoned the well and crushed the fans in the offing. He wants to be very careful about how he proceeds. If I had to guess he's already got an offer from Netflix and he's going to think about what the best option for the show is. I have to say, I always knew Joel was a very fan-positive guy, but listening to him on CBB gave me the impression that every thought he has ends with "will the fans like it?"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The average rating for the show is surprisingly low at three stars. I would think mainly fans would be watching and rating it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Not to be a cynic, but I wonder if there's a significant number of diehard fans purposely trying to bomb the star rating.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not to be a cynic, but I wonder if there's a significant number of diehard fans purposely trying to bomb the star rating.

Depressingly, that sounds very plausible.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Reading the reviews, there seems to be a lot of Patton Oswalt hate. What gives? Is this some complex drama? Is he the foe of the Internet hitler brigade?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Nessus posted:

Reading the reviews, there seems to be a lot of Patton Oswalt hate. What gives? Is this some complex drama? Is he the foe of the Internet hitler brigade?

He shat all over James Rolfe for declaring he wouldn't see the new Ghostbusters and the overall response was nuclear. I don't know that this was the start of it though.

I do know it all got especially personal and vile after his wife died.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That wasn't a big deal, he said "Maybe I spoke too soon on James Rolfe" less than a day later. In general he does get into it a lot with people on the internet though. He supports the kind of stuff and supports the kind of people that pisses off the kind of person who says "SJW" all the time, but also if anyone calls something he says out as potentially offensive he's just as likely to turn around and call them an "SJW and get into back and forth with people complaining about him using the wrong word. But he's a good, sincere, dude. Just passionate and a bit clumsy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I know people got after him for using retarded in his bits, but he's about the same age as me and saying "that's retarded" was so incredibly common growing up its hard to shake. It took me forever to stop using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

parallelodad posted:

That wasn't a big deal, he said "Maybe I spoke too soon on James Rolfe" less than a day later. In general he does get into it a lot with people on the internet though. He supports the kind of stuff and supports the kind of people that pisses off the kind of person who says "SJW" all the time, but also if anyone calls something he says out as potentially offensive he's just as likely to turn around and call them an "SJW and get into back and forth with people complaining about him using the wrong word. But he's a good, sincere, dude. Just passionate and a bit clumsy.

You just reminded me of the time Oswalt started tweeting stuff like "I just deleted the offending tweet. I apologize for all the Native Americans I offended" in response to nothing and people would get super offended over a tweet that never existed in the first place. I always thought that was pretty funny.