Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
found some nice strips at Costco on the weekend

132 for an hour then into the cast iron

had it with steamed veggies, rice and some homemade sesame steak sauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Man that's beautiful. I think strip is my fav cut. Cooked beautifully in your pics.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Feenix posted:

Like all the world is a nail when all you have is a sweet wifi-enabled hammer?

Sure... could be. But honestly I've never made pots de creme before so I don't know.

I DO know that I'd probably have to stir and monitor for 45 min instead of just walking away... so there's that. :)

If we still want to incorporate the pinot, what I would probably do to adapt the typical procedure is make the wine reduction, create/cook the custard incorporating the wine reduction, combine with chocolate, then portion (heat to desired consistency in saucepan if necessary).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

kirtar posted:

If we still want to incorporate the pinot, what I would probably do to adapt the typical procedure is make the wine reduction, create/cook the custard incorporating the wine reduction, combine with chocolate, then portion (heat to desired consistency in saucepan if necessary).

You should incorporate the Pinot. It truly gives a nice complexity and keeps it from just feeling like "mouthfuls of (albeit delicious) chocolate."

Also, depending on how indulgent you tend to skew, I'd go for smaller ramekins/servings. It's loving rich.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Guys, real chefs shouldn't use sous vide!

https://rubbisheatrubbishgrow.com/2017/04/30/why-chefs-of-any-self-worth-should-stop-sous-vide-ing-their-food/

The comments are pretty drat glorious. Almost universal in their making GBS threads on him. "I ate at 1500 restaurants and read memoirs, I KNOW what a real professional kitchen life is like!"

I wish I was friends with TK, just so I could share watch his reaction/reply.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

toplitzin posted:

gently caress that lazy pan searing and oven cooking, too. I can do Maillard reactions at home. Really, the only restaurant that employs real chefs anymore is the Fermilab cafeteria. If my steak is not butchered to nanometer precision using gigawatt lasers and then cooked in a 1 TeV positron beam for that exotic particle flavor, what's the chef for?

Edit: just reading all his responses in the comments makes it clear he's trolling for controversy and clicks.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 2, 2017

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
a real chef cooks his steak by farting on it

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

a real chef cooks his steak by farting on it

I find the best seafood texture is created when I drink 2 gallons of water and then urinate directly on the whole shrimp until cooked.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

toplitzin posted:

I find the best seafood texture is created when I drink 2 gallons of water and then urinate directly on the whole shrimp until cooked.

Same but vodka

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Choadmaster posted:

gently caress that lazy pan searing and oven cooking, too. I can do Maillard reactions at home. Really, the only restaurant that employs real chefs anymore is the Fermilab cafeteria. If my steak is not butchered to nanometer precision using gigawatt lasers and then cooked in a 1 TeV positron beam for that exotic particle flavor, what's the chef for?

Edit: just reading all his responses in the comments makes it clear he's trolling for controversy and clicks.

I sort of just assumed that based on the domain name.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

toplitzin posted:

https://rubbisheatrubbishgrow.com/2017/04/30/why-chefs-of-any-self-worth-should-stop-sous-vide-ing-their-food/

The comments are pretty drat glorious. Almost universal in their making GBS threads on him. "I ate at 1500 restaurants and read memoirs, I KNOW what a real professional kitchen life is like!"

I wish I was friends with TK, just so I could share watch his reaction/reply.

Who are you? Hitler?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I made that Salmon Mi-Cuit and oh my god is it awesome. If you make it don't pass on the part where it says to refrigerate for 6+ hours after. It really does get better the longer it sits. I have the other half of the salmon filet I bought in some brine to go in the smoker tonight but am debating if I just make more Mi-Cuit instead...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I did the Serious Eats Sous Vide Bacon pre-cook (145 for 8 hrs minimum and then just crisp on one side. Thick cuts work best...)

Was it good bacon? You betcha.

Was it worth the hassle? Nah.

To be honest, if you get a good cut of thick bacon, and oven cook it (400 in mine) and just keep an eye on it, you can get PERFECT bacon. That nice crisp crunch, a little bit of juiciness, and that sensation when it kind of dissolves on your tongue.

Not really worth the effort in my opinion. Glad I tried and found out, though.

=================
[edit]

This Salmon Mi-Cuit... I am intrigued.

What consistency is the salmon when eaten? I LOVE sushi (raw salmon) and am not really a fan of cooked Salmon. (usually, unless done up in some really special way.)

What's it like eating this? What does it taste like? Feel like?

Also, how would you incorporate this into a dinner? Sauce? Laid over something?

I want to maybe do it for my next dinner party...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 3, 2017

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

So I did the Serious Eats Sous Vide Bacon pre-cook (145 for 8 hrs minimum and then just crisp on one side. Thick cuts work best...)

Was it good bacon? You betcha.

Was it worth the hassle? Nah.

To be honest, if you get a good cut of thick bacon, and oven cook it (400 in mine) and just keep an eye on it, you can get PERFECT bacon. That nice crisp crunch, a little bit of juiciness, and that sensation when it kind of dissolves on your tongue.

Not really worth the effort in my opinion. Glad I tried and found out, though.

=================
[edit]

This Salmon Mi-Cuit... I am intrigued.

What consistency is the salmon when eaten? I LOVE sushi (raw salmon) and am not really a fan of cooked Salmon. (usually, unless done up in some really special way.)

What's it like eating this? What does it taste like? Feel like?

Also, how would you incorporate this into a dinner? Sauce? Laid over something?

I want to maybe do it for my next dinner party...

Here is the video from chefs steps it pretty much looks raw though. - https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/salmon-mi-cuit

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

sterster posted:

Here is the video from chefs steps it pretty much looks raw though. - https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/salmon-mi-cuit

It does translate as half cooked

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yes I watched the video. And I know what it means. (Sorry, factual, not snark... :) )

I wanted some opinions from folks who have eaten it.

Is it like "safer Sushi"?

Is it some weird in between custardy NOT QUITE RAW but NOT QUITE COOKED?

I'm just looking for impressions. Whether I make it depends who I invite to dinner and how adventurous they are, but I just wanted some tongues-on impressions :)

[edit]
Serving question: Based on texture and taste, could you still servie it kinda like sushi? Rice ball, wasabi, etc?

[son of Edit]

Found this. Answers a lot.
https://afrotoast.wordpress.com/tag/salmon-mi-cuit/

Still interested in Goon descriptions of flavor and texture. :)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 3, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Feenix posted:

Delicious and wonderful, respectively. Slightly firmer than just sashimi, but nowhere near flaky. Just do it, it's great.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Delicious, and I don't think I want to eat fully cooked salmon ever again

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Feenix posted:

Yes I watched the video. And I know what it means. (Sorry, factual, not snark... :) )

I wanted some opinions from folks who have eaten it.

Is it like "safer Sushi"?

I'm just looking for impressions. Whether I make it depends who I invite to dinner and how adventurous they are, but I just wanted some tongues-on impressions :)

[edit]
Serving question: Based on texture and taste, could you still servie it kinda like sushi? Rice ball, wasabi, etc?

[son of Edit]

Found this. Answers a lot.
https://afrotoast.wordpress.com/tag/salmon-mi-cuit/

If anything, salmon mi cuit is riskier than sushi from a food safety perspective.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Salmon is one that you should just make a bunch of to try. I like the salmon-mi prep and I even like it at like 130 degrees for 30 mins which was pretty drat firm. My family hated it all though so ymmv

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

kirtar posted:

If anything, salmon mi cuit is riskier than sushi from a food safety perspective.

uh you're in the danger zone for an hr and both cuts will be pre-frozen regardless.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

uh you're in the danger zone for an hr and both cuts will be pre-frozen regardless.

The point was that there is no reason to expect it to be any safer because you're basically setting your bath just over the optimal growth range for the major foodborne bacteria. Meanwhile, freezing is great but only matters for parasites.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Feenix posted:

Like this, personally. It did not resemble sashimi at all.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I don't really know how to describe it. It was almost buttery and smooth but still had texture. Not quite as firm as sashimi but not jelly-like raw either.

I just ate some alone last night like I would a cooked salmon filet but that was more out of time constraint. I had some at lunch at work today with some warm long grain rice and then the cold salmon. The temp difference between he two was nice. Not sure how I will use the rest of it.

Just make a small piece to try if you are worried about it. It takes 45 minutes to brine and 1 hour in the puddle. Then 6 hours or overnight in the refrigerator to set up fully.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
First night with the Joule, filets, I'm excited! 126F for an hour.

Nhilist fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 5, 2017

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Five gallons of water to cook two little filets?

At least tell us they were good

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

theres a will theres moe posted:

Five gallons of water to cook two little filets?

At least tell us they were good

A lot of good water died in the making of those steaks. They were fantastic. Heh and yes about the time I put them in, I was thinking "what in the hell did I fill this cambro all the way to the top for???" Sigh, rookie mistake.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

It's like an aquarium. A delicious aquarium.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

CrazySalamander posted:

It's like an aquarium. A delicious aquarium.

If I had infinite money I'd have an aquarium for my food yes of course.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Elizabethan Error posted:

you won't get a bark/smoke ring with sous vide(because it's not a smoker) so you won't get the same thing as from a smoker.

ahem
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/smokerless-smoked-ribs-incredible-barbecue-no-smoker-required

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
lol they're using more or less exactly the LD50 of Prague powder.

Edit: Actually, Prague powder is only about 5% sodium nitrite so it's much lower. But still lol consuming that much curing salt is a dumb loving way to simulate a smoke ring.

SubG fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 5, 2017

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Feenix posted:

So I did the Serious Eats Sous Vide Bacon pre-cook. Not really worth the effort in my opinion.

I don't eat a ton of bacon but when I buy a pack of thick cut strips, I always throw it into the vide to cook while I work or sleep.

I've always enjoyed cooking protein but sous vide has been a life-changer for me due to the reduction in prep / cook time.

Remove bacon from fridge, apply to cast iron, sear for 45 seconds, and you've got a more tender version of the thing that would have taken 25 minutes in the oven otherwise.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Also, I recently had to factory reset my water bath heat-column to get it to connect to my mobile telephone more better.

2017 is alright.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Postmaster GBS posted:

I don't eat a ton of bacon but when I buy a pack of thick cut strips, I always throw it into the vide to cook while I work or sleep.

I've always enjoyed cooking protein but sous vide has been a life-changer for me due to the reduction in prep / cook time.

Remove bacon from fridge, apply to cast iron, sear for 45 seconds, and you've got a more tender version of the thing that would have taken 25 minutes in the oven otherwise.

It all makes sense in theory (to me), but honestly the texture was just the same as 20-ish min in the oven. I'm sure I'll try it again. I just didn't notice much difference.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I did both crispy skin salmon and mash potato in the puddler for an early Mother's Day lunch. Both came out wonderfully. I'm going to be cooking a lot more fish these days.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Details on mashed potatoes? Easy? Recipe? What's the benefit?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Feenix posted:

Details on mashed potatoes? Easy? Recipe? What's the benefit?

Recipe was dead simple and got me a very velvety mash. No more work than mash in regular boiling water, which I often don't do very well.

http://lickmyspoon.com/recipes/sous-vide-mashed-potatoes-with-garlic-and-rosemary/

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
That velvety texture is probably more due to the 25% butter than the viddling if you ask me.

I can see a lot of sous vide applications but mashed potatoes is not something I would do. Don't get me wrong, if it works for you that's great, it just seems a bit over the top as the normal cooking process isn't that complicated.

Edit: And 1.5 is a long rear end time for mashed potatoes ;-)

Hopper fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 6, 2017

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I find cooking for holiday dinners a lot easier if I can do the mashed potatoes early and just hold them at temp until everything else is ready and I don't have to reheat them. Frees up a lot of stovetop space for gravy making and other last-minute things.

Veritek83 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

SubG posted:

lol they're using more or less exactly the LD50 of Prague powder.

Edit: Actually, Prague powder is only about 5% sodium nitrite so it's much lower. But still lol consuming that much curing salt is a dumb loving way to simulate a smoke ring.

you do realize that most of the salt gets left behind in the bag, right?