Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Baloogan posted:

id like some way to burn oil instead of turning it into solid fuel

Are you talking about heavy/light? Advanced Oil Processing has a way to crack heavy to light, and light to the petrol you want/need for everything else.

Alternatively you could just fill up a tank or two of whatever you don't want and then delete them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i mena burn for power like in a boiler

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Baloogan posted:

Revert to 0.14 where you could literally do that.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Alkydere posted:

Revert to 0.14 where you could literally do that.

Maybe you're thinking of a mod?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Baloogan posted:

Turn it into solid fuel then burn the solid fuel.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

GotLag posted:

Maybe you're thinking of a mod?

You could put any fluid into a steam engine, not just hot water!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
This is the only mod I know of that adds oil-fired boilers, but it hasn't been updated for 0.15:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Klonan/KS_Power

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Before, you could use oil instead of water, but not instead of fuel.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

GenericOverusedName posted:

That's true, but you still couldn't burn oil for power.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Baloogan posted:

id like some way to burn oil instead of turning it into solid fuel

Drone_Fragger posted:

Turn it into solid fuel then burn the solid fuel.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Reading comprehension is dead.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Should be a way to turn oil into gasoline and burn those dinosaurs in a car like God intended.

I guess you can pretend "solid fuel" is gasoline but it doesn't go into tanks or pipes.

I actually tend to use wood I have lying around to power my car, which is sort of a real thing.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

yeah the whole solid fuel thing seems like a gameplay concession to make them fit with the belt-to-oven fashion of making power

giant diesel generators fed by pipelines would be a real cool and good fit between pre-industrial and nuclear + solar tech grades, you'd even need the electric engines for something other than robots for once

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You burn oil by putting it in a flamethrower turret aimed at biters.

A fluid burner seems excessive when the logistics to work out solid fuel is a chem plant and a belt but I've never understood flares for vanilla either.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

So, the goon server is gonna be restarted tomorrow.
Those wishing to influence the modpack and mapgen can state their suggestions in the relevant thread.
Today is the last day to get whatever you want to salvage from it (blueprints most likely).
Cheers!

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

How do you all do smelting in the midgame? I'm kicking around in creative mode trying to come up with some blueprints and realising that a mixed belt of ore and coal won't keep more than 48 stone/24 steel furnaces fed, which is a pain because according to that one ratio cheatsheet it takes 48 steel furnaces to saturate a red belt. Should I run two setups like the below, but 12 long each, and merge the belts? Or should I run a belt of ore and a belt of coal past these things and use red inserters? Is there some clever belt weaving solution? Or should I just use electric furnaces?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Jack the Lad posted:

How do you all do smelting in the midgame? I'm kicking around in creative mode trying to come up with some blueprints and realising that a mixed belt of ore and coal won't keep more than 48 stone/24 steel furnaces fed, which is a pain because according to that one ratio cheatsheet it takes 48 steel furnaces to saturate a red belt. Should I run two setups like the below, but 12 long each, and merge the belts? Or should I run a belt of ore and a belt of coal past these things and use red inserters? Is there some clever belt weaving solution? Or should I just use electric furnaces?

Something is wrong here. In that blueprint you're putting a full red belt of iron ore in, and it's a 1:1 ratio of ore to plates, so with enough furnaces you should be getting a full red belt of iron plates out. It's hard to see in that picture, but I think you have some stray yellow belts near the start that are limiting throughput.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Don't bother with electric furnaces just for that. Run another setup parallel to it and merge the lines.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
For me, a straight unbroken line of steel smelters, fed coal via (full) inner belt and ore via (full) outer belt (yellow/red inserters), on both sides of a output line belt to fill both sides. Powered by medium poles next to the output line (blueprinted so the coverage is 100% and simply set up without the every-other-offset issue). A 2-wide gap between lines for substations (lategame has 4-wide gaps for roboports and a slightly changed build). The coal line can be easily torn out and replaced with Electrics.

When building the initial smelter line, having the 2x2 blocks like yours (though with my input/output lines), count out 11 of the 2x2 blocks. When torn up and replaced with the solid line as above, this provides (nearly) the exact amount of smelters needed to pack a blue belt.

Also I have the coal 'snake' around all of my smelter lines, then exit to the plastic mill. A full red belt can easily service 8 smelter lines as described and still have coal left over for midgame amounts of plastic. If you go down one side and up the other with some thought, the coal doesn't cross any other lines-- dodging the Output line and the two Ore lines and requiring no undergrounds/splitter belts.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Using all red belt I believe that's as much as you're going to get using one lane. If you want to keep using steel furnaces and red belt (blue would get you up to 35ish furnaces if my math is correct), you'll need to put coal on a separate belt and use long inserters.

I missed party of your post somehow, I'm blaming the fact I'm tired and about to sleep.

Onean fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 7, 2017

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

pumpinglemma posted:

Something is wrong here. In that blueprint you're putting a full red belt of iron ore in, and it's a 1:1 ratio of ore to plates, so with enough furnaces you should be getting a full red belt of iron plates out. It's hard to see in that picture, but I think you have some stray yellow belts near the start that are limiting throughput.

Aha. You're right, I had a yellow belt going from the spawner chest to the input. It works now:

Even with underground belts to output onto, though, I find that the output inserters aren't running at full speed because they're sometimes waiting for space. Is that normal?

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 7, 2017

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think the literal ratio is more like 45 furnaces for a red belt so at 48 you're going to have some fat.

E. Not to day 48 is wrong, it's like 45 and a fraction and 48 is a good practical rule of thumb to fill the belt at the expense of equipment effectiveness that noone cares about.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 7, 2017

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

zedprime posted:

I think the literal ratio is more like 45 furnaces for a red belt so at 48 you're going to have some fat.

Ah okay yeah, at 1.75s per smelt it looks like it'd technically be 46.67 furnaces, so that makes sense.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 7, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I've been wrestling with all this this recently and I sort of disagree. This game I tried the combination ore/coal and I have to say I like it a lot better. You start with a single line of 24:

with one of iron and one of copper which will last you until you start working on either blue or military science. Then, once you get red belts you tile it sideways. You can tile it indefinitely, but I only needed 3 of iron (1 going into steel) and 2 of copper until I replaced them with electric furnances.

It uses 1/3rd less inserters and belts which is really important for the first hour or two of the game. It's also much easier to place while running. Once you get your proto-factory that makes green you can store the extra inserters that it makes to build up your line.

You do have to split your coal line and do have to rip it up once you get to steel furnaces, but you're going to rip and replace using bots anyway. It's about 1/4th smaller than an equiv electric furnace, so make sure you leave some extra space either before or after.

I already ripped mine up for electric furnaces or I'd show you the big complex I had.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 7, 2017

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Loopoo posted:

Why do people do this? The guy just said he doesn't want to build four because it costs an exorbitant amount of resources. Forget efficiency and all that, he wants to start off with one and build up to four. The only thing helpful in this post was the amount of steam banks he needs to capture the entirety of the energy output.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Eh7sz1Pik&t=645s

KatherineofSky has an amazing nuclear reactor setup video. Feel free to watch the entire thing, but I paused it where it shows the ratios required for one nuclear station.

For the lazy

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UC9oTYiTcdsG1pTxGWxrdbOvf-FqLRs0ClsYA2DekNk/edit?pli=1#gid=1058988126

Y'all fuckers better add to it. Goon Blueprint library must grow and overshadow all other meagre libraries.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BwVHGs2mds_XRUVCekwxYnNldnc?pageId=118385990598174182887 Here's KatherineofSky's personal blueprint library. I personally haven't used it, cause I know if I do I'll probably never add to the Goon library. But whatever, she's got tonnes and they're all probably fantastic.

Holy poo poo that green circuit blueprint is awful. If you're going to use underground belts, why not do it properly?

quote:

0eNqdW1tu40gMvIu+7YXY7/ZVBouB7WizDdiyIMmLCYLcfeUkyGgcyiLrK0iMlNlkFx8l6rU6nK5N15d2rHavVTle2qHa/XithvLc7k+3v40vXVPtqjI252pTtfvz7bf9MDTnw6m0z9vz
/vhvaZutqd42VWmfml/Vjt42qxD/7IdxO/b7dugu/bg9NKdxhmDe/t5UTTuWsTQfFr3/8vKzvZ4PTT99xUOgTdVdhul
/L+3t+ye8bdhUL9MPim832+7AzJ9gpR2afpw++A7jv2A21VPpm+PHh4EBtY+99R3bzrAn5PLutOOl65p+e9wfTk3FfIsD/RA4P3gQzHNgAT2/05w/ikNHXydfDV1Smk5ffphZ3pymr+gvbTluj6U
/XsvI2Z/V9vt1+6n+E/U6kap/7i/Tz4VQuplzPul6uY7dlbWZSGq05X1uONDfJDw3T+V63n44cHJfd5li
/90h8eu+cHAWvMs8Gkozy6J5db5xgqAHrQPp4ZEjSAKjJwElNQuswCFZFzTH+9pxBaPWMkAQQEOYvXadXEZLLvvo
/holtwJvKOtYJdG8wgdodTOsDwKIRixaRIslaYqlSerEQ4J7q69hRtA+1Rgb2GhZdcWSWGjQKku/q2xpF4qstVqTaZ0D1mHMNevMtR6DJgE0yrWavQsRQ8ssWAKJmzS8tWAlY8
/vMGKxx3eEBb1eD7ozEHQWIIOtYWI9AHaG7Bzq1I1hWk9TLmCNXND3cU49jQnmaJeg+8pHK4MpO0rmIq
/tCuN6xvYYw9I6DTxGsChAtuAox+oIHmQYr3CATSBvWdDSVTC7e7QV9JqK4tUTl0A28RmcQHn9CKtTfv1+Bm03KAhbwNgUBNZi05bEDyCzWL0ggMxiJ8yAiodGQ4IAShxWXxmDmm8CwSCoB
y+BahIx2rn1UhYxfYO9IBEUNNirG7WjlsSN2KQl0J7iHdGG7lRG1lr
/l2ftZVEDJLxI7I3aqpA+pwQ2VgmcBVmwjIGxGkOqtd2AQGNIBDasRiAxJIONlezptRwy6wkjYRwSiBUJFCsEyJhWwU7qCVMq+PhopT+B8JcyVqVVmmWG6hHrzwwVINadGWr3BLJHhro9wcXM
WLPHprqM9XpsJc9gq6d6Spy1woQgNWdtSyfoGnKGOlKgIaVaKVYI8jXVYLUyoqfONcQ5Qe9DNUQ6I0F2mBTCP5KtMd4tgGGVyvNgUVleJA+064TpCQvn1U5LkkWL2aaFhrCAtkrarQuJhwnqAA
VNP5GFBjT+dmnXLxwXPzZjEdQIOgkyNFCJbI6IzV4SNOVwFeXXISPIEptNDaUxVh0mg60VRh5Mu1YoeBhCBlwrVC0V0v0axmquDBLTvS6BiTADkhkWgh919kXJUlvCOqIoGN
/pfvFiWQkKn0qQQG4m7eJF4JzBI2PsSvx+n4HAMg8Gsur9QbacVhaqYwvn9wjWwvEDEvIkCTlUq7IEGRMC+Z0IspgSyG9zkdNKgfcLEWyuc6RMypLlLZrtWWg6WGjN0ylFQslKEzmIVAv34H4DQ5
qv5ytdD0ZYBxFNsi5DDmKaZP2KXMKG2IXtZwdyzfC71Fj
/t7SZTVrmShaRvQHLi1WVF2+1CcJIjHfYFL7kYWUXKHMw1AZKFpLJY7ySiEM+QdAiq0GO8fN3ADnGCzGz9QsdG4KKDQEsbMBLPBTUzJOIS0E7hcleE9ESUGRqgOSepRsSITovXF5of5AkGk
/I2kfxJJE0tCsYnrWYh4bWCWXQ2EDGv5FJEVvS5d9rpOi0ZV0iPkS0WQyS6T5iNW3BnUptQ/TGXsTql0Qq0G5mBNZqd3uL+P21493sRedN9V/TDx9hdc74OmcTpkT0P7ZhTdg=

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Bhodi posted:

I've been wrestling with all this this recently and I sort of disagree. This game I tried the combination ore/coal and I have to say I like it a lot better. You start with a single line of 24:

and then you tile it up once you get red belts:

It uses 1/3rd less inserters and belts which is really important for the first hour or two of the game. Once you get your proto-factory that makes green you can store the extra inserters that it makes as you build up your line.

You do have to split your coal line and do have to rip it up once you get to steel furnaces, but you're going to rip and replace using bots anyway. It's about 1/4th smaller than an equiv electric furnace, so make sure you leave some extra space either before or after.

This is a pretty cool design. I like that it's tileable, but I think you'll always end up not saturating your outputs since you're putting 1 belt of ore onto 1.5 belts of plates - this may or may not be a problem.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Jack the Lad posted:

This is a pretty cool design. I like that it's tileable, but I think you'll always end up not saturating your outputs since you're putting 1 belt of ore onto 1.5 belts of plates - this may or may not be a problem.
Once you get red belts, you make the back half of the output line red, but yeah that'd be a concern except that your factory can't really use that much iron for the first hour. This is strictly early game stuff that's "good enough" to last until you rip it up for the real thing 4-5 hours in. Notice you don't upgrade the furnances either, there's no real point. What's important is to do something that's fast and easy in the first 20 mins that you won't have to touch again for a while while you focus on the rest of your factory. It's strictly a compromise.

Once you rip it up, I highly suggest splurging on underground red belts and replace it with the tileable electric that was pasted earlier:

pre:
0eNqVldtugzAMht/F10EigR7gVaZqouB2kSBBOUyrKt59Ke3QugaGr6KQ8Nn5/Vu+wrH12Bup
HJRXkLVWFsq3K1h5VlV7++YuPUIJ0mEHDFTV3XbYYu2MrJOTN6qqEQYGUjX4BSUfDgxQOek
k3lnj5vKufHdEEy7MUxj02oYftbpFDrBEMLiEJRsG9gISBBBf4GQTp9XqnHxU4SFNIpVF48L5a1L
ZHcZjsHyCnSrrlijih8KgkSY8YDzLI8zNM9OH/MzZ6LAmR2xdhM2j7BDxUU3tXe8dRGJtqbHSf0
JJNRNpt1YpvlqoPbGSYqGQxcTqsJG+SyaT9brFWVekMRZPyRW80+iqck4OJR6Jk73CBdHsUaF
59kxxplK218Ytm/tvvjFyTu1sHlM95jS+oSWdrs6Z3IB8uXzzTtkR1UlXi7OntXbcFgVVCLHcMvM
+Fil9JMUnEiePpMAJ83KcruWvYczgE40dL2/zXGzSohDbfBi+AS8Qkec=
You use underground belts not just because it looks cool and is more compact but because it also allows you to fill the belt up completely without any gaps. You can fit exactly 24x2 furnaces on a red belt. It takes a LOT of material, comparatively; red underground is expensive.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 7, 2017

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Bhodi posted:

Once you get red belts, you make the back half of the output line red, but yeah that'd be a concern except that your factory can't really use that much iron for the first hour. This is strictly early game stuff that's "good enough" to last until you rip it up for the real thing 4-5 hours in. Notice you don't upgrade the furnances either, there's no real point. What's important is to do something that's fast and easy in the first 20 mins that you won't have to touch again for a while while you focus on the rest of your factory. It's strictly a compromise.

Yeah, I definitely have to get more into the mindset of "good enough". It's hard with this game, though.

Bhodi posted:

Blueprints. A train stop with inserters and chests plus a tileable miner setup using the newly expanded substation range is the way to go. Plonk a miner down and only the ones that are on the ore will actually place. Then you just manually hook up the outputs to the inputs of the train stop and you're good to go!

I'm keen to see this, by the way, once it's done. Not sure quite how to do the belts for tileable miners.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Bhodi posted:

Yeah but why not just run an extra belt of mixed resource materials between the furnaces? You don't need any more inserters, and I think you need fewer splitters to achieve the same output, and you can make longer lanes of furnaces, meaning fewer belts running the materials all the way down the line.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Jack the Lad posted:

I'm keen to see this, by the way, once it's done. Not sure quite how to do the belts for tileable miners.

You just make a line of miners and a belt? Tie the belts together and load the train.

but also this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/695pj4/automated_custom_outpost_designer/

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Jack the Lad posted:

It's absolutely nothing special. Tile either

Substation

or Medium Poles

And you just stamp it down until it fills the ore.

Add the endcap

Then delete the overlap poles/belts you don't use, or don't, who cares ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here's my blueprint book
pre:
0eNq1XE1vIkcU/CurOSUSRP39wTk5rhQpx2hlgZldjQIDYsarWCv+ewbw2sSMmepS98kyyOVHud/r6eoq/6hWm6d6f2ja/mG12/1TLX68vdJVi7+vvj291zzu2svLXfOtXW5O
r/XP+7paVE1fb6tZ1S63p+/qTf3YH5rH+bZpm/bbfH1oNpvqOKuadl3/Wy3kcTaJ0T2tun7ZN7v26gfV8cusqtu+6Zv6Usn5m+eH9mm7qg8D8uvPf112/bw/LNtuvzv081W96
Qfw/a5rzpjDrx3w5nL4gefz1+GXrJvDUPf5XXOq8B22YrHFNLae4O4WPV7A4/+x3Qi2ScZ2o9hqBNsmcmJwuh0JDbDtkxlRMNshrWyNExI5ZIAPKVIJsTAfUqZiB3j1ycSWPH
1OlG2pSWyEb0OOkgBgWxI7AthkTyJlew4aqTqkrsBxtkdXINeUACFKUMgAH0pyKxspmmxIpGpNrmsHYLP96AFsy27tbnq4Ksfu7W56bSuyJRHCAweN8B3ZzR3gWwtylNhpu
rWkGh5gWysKGSBba/LBAeHakA8OwNLWlptTCNmOg0bY9uSYMgB2ILEtgB3ZEaiB041gR6CeXidGcnMKINwoDhrg22h2BCJ8G2qYIIxYChkhxJFjCuHDk2MKWX6BmyUI2ZG
DBti2ghwlCsBmBR4NYJMdiZStOWikakM+kihA3eE6EiHEUcgIH55b2EjRZDsiVUduXQNig2PbEdHoJLmzi+nB6hS5sYvphe24fkTYNqRsCUBbcltHyHZjwvsNoPjtsjEOX49jKJ7p
aoRVUlUFkCP3aABw6gX3ZACsX89JOIg0zkqqADSp4ACT2ZMCDlI1q98Az46elW+AZ0fPqTcI2Zx4g3DNajcA14GUbgCqA6XcAEwHSrgBiA6kboPwTMo2CM+caoMQzYk2CNO
kZgMc4QIp2QCPoyFSLQ4UHQWFDNQcqS5ESqa6EKmYu2JESjYUMlIzeb0IKKfRcdCAJBE9uYkDOnUM5CYO6NSR60OHXPlzjWgRaElu4wDbUihuHwfYlkIznQ6xTammENmW2
8ohrh23l0NcczoNRDan00BskzoN4oCQpFDjEWxWqIEcPqxSg1h8JCfVQIRzWg3EN6vVQHw7bgRCdFMSDsQ2peFAZJMaDsK1IkUcyL3GqTgI2aQRB2GbNeJAxjjWiYPYwBRnVs
Xq5pxxUNlUR2JVUy0JFc1dL0JVa0FhI2Vr8noRM5Ry94sYNvXkikFzZ8lb7C+zi8V/cZUqmFWb5QAzvPb7aZp++uWv19uHX4c3v9eH7jKbjVFWxKiceUsDiFO5XELh/Em6/abp
++FDpiUTxlgoGVEQ8H2tynPxru4GFDDoCCOnTvyA39d+8Oe+xfQv91rzArkEN1qvuxtLwJA9zESqUmjhmmMWz4S7H0qAoA284qTMYWvIEUiwOHJiAzp4bbw/BX3cJi6hS1J
jCAFfF4kNiHdJ6tkn4jWHLKYUlyGBgJskUhMIL/MIQZY57BcqQwBhbmHk1B1QwcipO6CGkZPFetQmkHregf0H7087dzbtn2YUmT9vIFGPR+o5BzbkaJHBSuMyxAwMDEztfQgw
tfXdACPHjz/a9eNyP3nwkPzBI0c0eluvm6ft/BVqv9vU3AkkfyBYFYzW6nKJYNZEmz8inRDbdeVSu+XSmKFYhDSWCkxKUSrkKWXB/J5UxfJ7UhcM2ZHXMkiCKv1aRuJ0u1IpO+
5OBvo7hnL5vfRbmYRglhLF0lOqXObr6nQyuod/2DXmeP9EkraYdf4zCZ7FUrZUfuzqTIKxa++RS/+PEODMzsafdVL8OXeIiTuSIEVrWSpnpBU54FTSuSR7QCU9/Pyy/CRQty0WU
dGuVK5Ge27YIVyHQqkVHUulVgz5D3uA1WFkuUwCmXmWSZHnzGkHY4rlBrjAs0rKO+fNDRhfyhduQilfuGFDJXa6Wa6izkkPdPqYIdsM+8ytKuSMv4o1pzxxjX96w4005K9kyzm
0rStlo7a+lPfbhmIWahsLOaidKGSgdrKcedWxamgAErvFfLGumC3W2WLGVecK+Va5TLNPyjQnDTxkbcRiTkcvShkdrzLNSXvpUHWGHDPumvS6kGnyKsScspuePj9krft8Bv3054
DVTZvr1Bjo/Pxvgt+QP5/X6/DCcvhc3+uHn8a8D8CP/wGJ3YjW

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 7, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Dr. Stab posted:

Yeah but why not just run an extra belt of mixed resource materials between the furnaces? You don't need any more inserters, and I think you need fewer splitters to achieve the same output, and you can make longer lanes of furnaces, meaning fewer belts running the materials all the way down the line.
You could, if you wanted! That'd be optimal, but I was just lazy and my iron was perpetually backed up at that point anyway so I didn't notice. The biggest thing I'm advocating is to do belts of half/half instead of 2 belts of individual resource to avoid an additional long handled inserter early-game in exchange for a splitter at the front.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 7, 2017

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Bhodi posted:

It's absolutely nothing special. Tile either

M_Gargantua posted:

You just make a line of miners and a belt? Tie the belts together and load the train.

Ok, thanks, this makes sense.

This is crazy. The things people do with this game... :psyduck:

Where are you supposed to put the corners, though? This:

Gives me this, which is slightly too big and goes over the walls:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Jack the Lad posted:

Gives me this, which is slightly too big and goes over the walls:

Guessing that's part of the "Why I haven't released it with this post" in the OP, there are bugs.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Bhodi posted:

Guessing that's part of the "Why I haven't released it with this post" in the OP, there are bugs.

Ah, yeah. Found this more recent post about the official release.

The creator seems to be developing it really actively, which is rad.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 7, 2017

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Mixed ore and coal works nicely. You have two feeds to two lines of smelters and each line can fully consume the one lane of core to generate one lane of plate. I tile mine as two rows of furnaces with one output belt. Never share the mixed belt with more than one line of smelters.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

DelphiAegis posted:

Holy poo poo that green circuit blueprint is awful. If you're going to use underground belts, why not do it properly?

Why even bother uploading a blueprint consisting of the crappiest stuff ingame. Like yellow belts + assembler 1's is just bad. At least do it with red belts and assembler 2's.

I'm also one of those people that hate doing mixed lines of coal / ore. I have one dedicated ore line and one half-loaded coal line. There's genuinely no reason to have a fully saturated coal belt feeding smelters unless you've got a metric fucktonne feeding off of it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

There's also no reason to have a full belt of ore if you're outputting onto one side of a belt.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
First time for me to not get annoyed and quit at blue science. I got purple automated and then added blue belts to my Mall. Everything has gone to poo poo I chewed through a 2 million iron deposit like it was nothing. I am starting to wonder if I need to offload materials at the smelter and bus them to the smelter area to feed my main bus...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I do a full belt of ore for a furnace branch because my idea of load balancing between iron and steel is 'add more splitters until it works right' and that usually doesn't leave a lot of room for mixing in coal.

Serious answer, I like the buffer it provides, if any portion of my factories ought to be fat it should be ore and plate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Dirk Pitt posted:

First time for me to not get annoyed and quit at blue science. I got purple automated and then added blue belts to my Mall. Everything has gone to poo poo I chewed through a 2 million iron deposit like it was nothing. I am starting to wonder if I need to offload materials at the smelter and bus them to the smelter area to feed my main bus...

Blue belts are loving expensive. A single tile of blue belt requires a sum of 33 iron. And if you want an underground blue belt now it's like 265 iron with the most recent recipe change.

I wouldn't even try building them until you're ready to commit a few hundred thousand iron just to that.