Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Wheat Loaf posted:

As we all know, real presidents don't win popular votes.

How do you even get this dumb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

bossy lady posted:

Well as we all know, the masses are too dumb to govern themselves. What we need is a supreme leader who happens to align with my beliefs

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The funny thing is the electoral college system was created to prevent an idiot (or "someone of low character" or something similar) from being sworn into office.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Two beautiful animals. Thank you.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Dogs come in all shapes and sizes.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Markzillla
Aug 31, 2001

The MSJ posted:

The funny thing is the electoral college system was created to prevent an idiot (or "someone of low character" or something similar) from being sworn into office.

Yeah, but what happens if "someone of low character" and an "idiot" run against each other? Nvm, we already saw.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bossy lady posted:

haha, politic man has pee pee frog on his web space

he likes too comfort pee to

gud brezidential

very liek

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Have I got a life hack for you. It will cut your clothes/child washing time in half.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

As we all know, real presidents don't win popular votes.

I know nothing about reddit and assumed that the comment was ironic. is that actually genuine?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

I know nothing about reddit and assumed that the comment was ironic. is that actually genuine?

It's in the subreddit for unironically fellating Donald Trump so yes

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

The MSJ posted:

It was created to give more power to the slaveowners, but, you know, whatever makes you feel better.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Forgall posted:

It was created to give more power to the slaveowners, but, you know, whatever makes you feel better.

Presumably back then, "guy who thinks slavery might not be all that hot" would be considered an idiot.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Forgall posted:

That looks like a Resident Evil puzzle

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Forgall posted:

It was created because they didn't want the president to be appointed directly by the congress, lest the selection be subject to deal-making in relation to other matters, or make the president feel beholden to congress. Hence, the electoral college was created as a parallel body which would be constituted to decide only that one issue and then dissolve.

https://www.congress.gov/resources/display/content/The+Federalist+Papers#TheFederalistPapers-68

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 08:20 on May 8, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The MSJ posted:

Presumably back then, "guy who thinks slavery might not be all that hot" would be considered an idiot.

Hope you like being poor, abolitionerds.

*does sick hoop stick and saunters out of town hall*

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Mr Hard Brexit Now seemed pretty confident:

Then what happened?

I also saw a tweet demanding that Donald Trump accept Le Pen voters as political refugees. :ironicat:

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 09:38 on May 8, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

I also saw a tweet demanding that Donald Trump accept Le Pen voters as political refugees. :ironicat:

Unironically please

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

Forgall posted:

"Uh, hold that door, I'm getting back out and taking the loving stairs."

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Thought of puppies and didn't die.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Forgall posted:

It was created to prevent larger states from dominating every election. Rhode Island was the primary state behind getting that through. Have no idea how you bring slavery into this.

TrustmeImLegit has a new favorite as of 11:44 on May 8, 2017

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

TrustmeImLegit posted:

It was created to prevent larger states from dominating every election. Rhode Island was the primary state behind getting that through. Have no idea how you bring slavery into this.

RI was also a big player regarding slavery in the North, so it isn't too far off.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This isn't safe for work but you should see it anyway.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Electors and congress representatives were given out to states based on their population, including slaves. Who obviously couldn't vote. Giving white people in slave states higher elector/rep count per voter.

Memento posted:

Tokyo Drift.

Forgall has a new favorite as of 13:00 on May 8, 2017

cnut
May 3, 2016

I'm getting in the Christmas spirit a little early this year.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Forgall posted:

Electors and congress representatives were given out to states based on their population, including slaves. Who obviously couldn't vote. Giving white people in slave states higher elector/rep count per voter.

Tokyo Drift.

Yes but that's not why the electoral college exists.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Yes but that's not why the electoral college exists.
Just a happy accident.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Shiver me timbers!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Seems like those feathers would get all gummed up pretty quick.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Memento posted:

I would absolutely try that. Probably not with a friend and a cameraman watching, though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So that's a wheelchair.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Definitely the scariest moment from Event Horizon.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Forgall posted:

Just a happy accident.
I'm not completely certain, but I'm pretty sure the basics of the electoral college were already hashed out before the 3/5ths compromise was reached. Basically - we were going to have that regardless or how slave counting impacted it.

And yeah, the reason is that dumb small states wanted outsize power before they'd join the union, instead of actual Democracy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

are you getting "n" mixed up with "r"

good horse, though

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

theflyingorc posted:

I'm not completely certain, but I'm pretty sure the basics of the electoral college were already hashed out before the 3/5ths compromise was reached. Basically - we were going to have that regardless or how slave counting impacted it.

And yeah, the reason is that dumb small states wanted outsize power before they'd join the union, instead of actual Democracy.

In the sense that nobody wanted a pure Democracy, this is correct (which is sort of the point behind the whole Constitution in the first place.) Almost nobody whatsoever supported direct popular election of the President; with the notable exception of mainly the Pennsylvania delegation to the Convention. Wilson's direct election proposal was considered radical and dangerous, and even he considered it a longshot. The real debate was between the national legislature electing the President, or having the state legislatures doing it directly or indirectly. A number of states that had already abolished slavery supported EC, some slave states were opposed to it, and opposition to direct popular vote was almost uniform and for reasons other than slavery.

Good article: https://web.archive.org/web/20130524042257/http://lawjournal.rutgers.edu/sites/lawjournal.rutgers.edu/files/issues/02MaltzVol.43.3.pdf

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

good horse, though

No such thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

theflyingorc posted:

The marvelous thing is that today, we live in an era of unprecedented access to information. You don't have to guess, or go on hazy memories. Records of the constitutional convention where the issue was decided are readily available.

As it happens, the first proposed status of the presidency was:

quote:

Article 10, Sect. 1. “The Executive power of the United States shall be vested in a single person. His style shall be ‘The President of the United States of America,’ and his title shall be ‘His Excellency.’ He shall be elected by ballot by the Legislature. He shall hold his office during the term of seven years; but shall not be elected a second time.”

There was one proposal to strike "by the legislature" and replace it with "by the people" - it was supported by the representatives of Pennsylvania and Delaware, the second-largest and the smallest state respectively, and opposed by the other nine. So no, it wasn't "dumb small states" who didn't want democracy; rather, it was the general consensus that didn't want democracy.

If you're interested, you can read the notes from September 4th-7th, in which the details of the election of the president were gradually hashed out, and see for yourself the concerns and ideas which motivated them, rather than these caricatures that we seem to hold on to today. There's even a general overview on the 4th:

quote:

Mr. RANDOLPH and Mr. PINCKNEY wished for a particular explanation, and discussion, of the reasons for changing the mode of electing the Executive.

Mr. GOUVERNEUR MORRIS said, he would give the reasons of the Committee, and his own. The first was the danger of intrigue and faction, if the appointment should be made by the Legislature. The next was the inconvenience of an ineligibility required by that mode, in order to lessen its evils. The third was the difficulty of establishing a court of impeachments, other than the Senate, which would not be so proper for the trial, nor the other branch, for the impeachment of the President, if appointed by the Legislature. In the fourth place, nobody had appeared to be satisfied with an appointment by the Legislature. In the fifth place, many were anxious even for an immediate choice by the people. And finally, the sixth reason was the indispensable necessity of making the Executive independent of the Legislature. As the electors would vote at the same time, throughout the United States, and at so great a distance from each other, the great evil of cabal was avoided. It would be impossible, also, to corrupt them. A conclusive reason for making the Senate, instead of the Supreme Court, the judge of impeachments, was, that the latter was to try the President, after the trial of the impeachment.