Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Captain Yossarian posted:

Anyone got a 3770/3770k they are looking to get rid of PM me

I only recently bought a used one, they hold their value something fierce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

HalloKitty posted:

I only recently bought a used one, they hold their value something fierce

Yeah that's what I'm seeing on ebay.... I'm looking to upgrade one of my pre-built dells

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay, I'm looking at building a computer for the first time. I'm not used to doing this at all - this'll be my first one I've ever built. I did some research and cobbled some standard suggestions from some threads and stuff and got some feedback from friends. I'm coming from a Mac, so I'm a little wary of putting all this stuff together/not having a nice unified warranty backing things up. I'm buying this from a recent windfall and I'm not sure when I'll be able to afford upgrades or replacements, so I'm hoping this can last around 5 years. In terms I mostly play WoW but I want to catch up on some AAA stuff like Doom and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

What country are you in? Canada
What are you using the system for? Gaming and day-to-day use. Latter refers to watching Netflix, having too many tabs open in a web browser.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. $3000 CAD, including monitor and speakers. A headset is a nicety I've included too. I have a boxed copy of Windows 10 from Amazon, I think that should work.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? I have a liberal arts degree and I literally took how to Microsoft Word as a university science class
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? If I get these monitors, 1080p. I'd like to keep running games at locked 60 fps and/or great settings for at least a few years.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($318.75 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.75 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z270 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($122.95 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($169.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($169.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($330.60 @ shopRBC)
Storage: Western Digital - Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($113.98 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card ($515.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ Memory Express)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.75 @ Vuugo)
Software: Microsoft - Office Home and Student 2016 Software ($140.50 @ shopRBC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($44.99 @ Memory Express)
Monitor: Asus - VS229H-P 21.5" 1920x1080 Monitor ($157.50 @ Vuugo)
Headphones: Sennheiser - G4ME ZERO Headset ($299.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Speakers: M-Audio - AV32 20W 2ch Speakers ($99.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $2949.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-07 13:10 EDT-0400

Couple notes:
-The processor/mobo combination seem to be the usual go-to here. I'm a bit scared of overclocking, but I could try it down the road if I need some more oomph, right?
-The memory is expensive but people are suggesting I get 32GB if I want to keep this going for awhile.
-I'm not sure if the 960 EVO is worth it. I've never had an SSD before, but the blink of an eye from boot to login screen seemed pretty cool.
-The 1070 seems to be the right price-performance point for me, but I'm not sure if that's exactly the right one. EVGA apparently has really good warranties, which is a plus. I looked up the model and it apparently is like most others in that EVGA range, but doesn't come with a backplate. I'm not sure how much of a big deal that is. I'm not picky about a particular number on the card, I just want a reliably good one.
-I need WiFi, hence the WiFi card.
-Monitors seem to be what shook out of the monitor thread's suggestions.
-And because I'm completely new to this, are there any extra cables I need to buy? Internal power cabling/data cables/video cables/anything else? It's a pain getting to a computer store to buy any supplies with the way my city is set up, so if I need something I'd rather order it ahead of time. It looks like the Cryrorig comes with its own thermal paste, beyond that I have no idea.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Arivia posted:

Okay, I'm looking at building a computer for the first time. I'm not used to doing this at all - this'll be my first one I've ever built. I did some research and cobbled some standard suggestions from some threads and stuff and got some feedback from friends. I'm coming from a Mac, so I'm a little wary of putting all this stuff together/not having a nice unified warranty backing things up. I'm buying this from a recent windfall and I'm not sure when I'll be able to afford upgrades or replacements, so I'm hoping this can last around 5 years. In terms I mostly play WoW but I want to catch up on some AAA stuff like Doom and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

What country are you in? Canada
What are you using the system for? Gaming and day-to-day use. Latter refers to watching Netflix, having too many tabs open in a web browser.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. $3000 CAD, including monitor and speakers. A headset is a nicety I've included too. I have a boxed copy of Windows 10 from Amazon, I think that should work.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? I have a liberal arts degree and I literally took how to Microsoft Word as a university science class
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? If I get these monitors, 1080p. I'd like to keep running games at locked 60 fps and/or great settings for at least a few years.

Couple notes:
-The processor/mobo combination seem to be the usual go-to here. I'm a bit scared of overclocking, but I could try it down the road if I need some more oomph, right?
-The memory is expensive but people are suggesting I get 32GB if I want to keep this going for awhile.
-I'm not sure if the 960 EVO is worth it. I've never had an SSD before, but the blink of an eye from boot to login screen seemed pretty cool.
-The 1070 seems to be the right price-performance point for me, but I'm not sure if that's exactly the right one. EVGA apparently has really good warranties, which is a plus. I looked up the model and it apparently is like most others in that EVGA range, but doesn't come with a backplate. I'm not sure how much of a big deal that is. I'm not picky about a particular number on the card, I just want a reliably good one.
-I need WiFi, hence the WiFi card.
-Monitors seem to be what shook out of the monitor thread's suggestions.
-And because I'm completely new to this, are there any extra cables I need to buy? Internal power cabling/data cables/video cables/anything else? It's a pain getting to a computer store to buy any supplies with the way my city is set up, so if I need something I'd rather order it ahead of time. It looks like the Cryrorig comes with its own thermal paste, beyond that I have no idea.

You have a lot of money to play with, but you're probably splurging on a couple items whose budget allocation could be better spent elsewhere.

Unless you regularly edit large image files in Photoshop or video projects in Premiere, 32GB of RAM is not necessary for the average person yet, and it's an especially bad time to be buying large quantities of fast DDR4. 16GB is more reasonable and frees up your budget for more useful things. Accordingly, unless your workload is definitely storage-bound, you probably are better off getting a big SATA SSD instead of a smaller NVMe drive like the 960 EVO. You can add a hard drive later if you discover you're burning through storage space.

That Sennheiser headset is probably nice (I have its open-backed cousin) but it is absurdly expensive. You're already buying a nice pair of speakers, so it's probably worth going with a cheaper headset and putting the savings elsewhere in your build. If headphone sound quality is important to you, it can be cheaper to get a nice pair of cans without a mic built in and just get a separate clip-on mic or something.

I think you'll be very disappointed in two tiny 1920x1080 screens; the amount of desk real estate that those will take up will not be worth it and the model you've chosen has a rather archaic set of inputs. Looking at Canadian monitor prices suggests a large, high-refresh-rate gaming display is out of your budget, probably, unless you're willing to compromise on the rest of your system's performance. You could spring for a single 27" 4K 60Hz screen and get some flexibility on the amount of usable desktop space you have with desktop scaling while enjoying 2560x1440 gaming that's practically indistinguishable from native resolution.

Here's what I would do with your budget:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($450.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z270XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($179.00 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 1.1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($336.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($719.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ NCIX)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($44.99 @ Memory Express)
Monitor: LG - 27UD58-B 27.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor ($449.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Headphones: Kingston - HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset ($94.96 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $2988.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-07 14:52 EDT-0400

This system should offer great gaming performance for years to come. You might need a bigger CPU cooler to overclock the i7-7700K quietly if it ever gets to that, but its out-of-the-box performance is so good that it's not really a concern at the moment. The case will also need 3.5" drive brackets that are sold separately should you ever want to add a mechanical hard drive, but they're inexpensive.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What's the benefit of a larger resolution for gaming? I guess it looks better overall? I've been playing games on a Nvidia 650m with a 1600x1050 IPS display for awhile, so going to full HD 1080p with solid framerates honestly seems like a pretty big jump from me.

I really like the dual monitors from a productivity standpoint. Playing WoW on one screen and watching Netflix on the other would be really nice. I'm not looking to span a game over both screens.

WarpZealot
Nov 25, 2005
Yes, I've played Starcraft.

Arivia posted:

What's the benefit of a larger resolution for gaming? I guess it looks better overall? I've been playing games on a Nvidia 650m with a 1600x1050 IPS display for awhile, so going to full HD 1080p with solid framerates honestly seems like a pretty big jump from me.

I really like the dual monitors from a productivity standpoint. Playing WoW on one screen and watching Netflix on the other would be really nice. I'm not looking to span a game over both screens.

Yeah, the larger resolution has more pixels, giving it better picture quality. I modified TheJeffers's build for 2 monitors. I downgraded the 7700k to a 7600k, and the GTX 1080 to a GTX1070. Honestly, TheJeffers's build is better, since the 7700k and GTX 1080 are nice upgrades that will allow you to stretch the longevity of the PC more. Probably just go with his build, and get a second 27" 2560x1440 gaming monitor during a sale sometime in the future. If you really need 2 monitors, try this out. The Asus will be the gaming monitor, since it has a high refresh rate and response time. The Dell has good picture quality and better viewing angles - making it nice to watch stuff on. Be aware that it's starting to look like 27" @ 2560x1440 resolution seems to be the new sweet spot (old one being 24" 1080p). Alternatively, just remove the monitor suggestions we have and dig around some more on your own.

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card ($515.99 @ NCIX)
Monitor: Asus - VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor ($356.98 @ DirectCanada)
Monitor: Dell - U2415 24.1" 1920x1200 60Hz Monitor ($400.99 @ PC Canada)
Total: $2960.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-07 16:54 EDT-0400

The Mango
Oct 20, 2003
Anyone have an answer to this question?

quote:

You can upgrade to a new motherboard/cpu/memory without having to reinstall Windows 10 Education, right? Got it from my school.

Reinstalling is a pain in the rear end and I'd rather not have to do it.

WarpZealot
Nov 25, 2005
Yes, I've played Starcraft.

The Mango posted:

Anyone have an answer to this question?

Reinstalling is a pain in the rear end and I'd rather not have to do it.

peak debt posted:

Windows has gotten better at handling unexpected driver stuff, such as when suddenly the entire set of hardware the OS has been used to for years changes, but it's still not perfect. There's a chance that you'll have some weird issues like crashing, hanging apps, performance problems etc that'll be basically impossible to debug.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I'd go with the G4ME ZERO or just go good headphones + mod mic.
Any of those mid-range priced headsets are the worst of both worlds, kinda washy sound and pickup.

The G4ME ZERO ones get recommended because they're actually good sounding and not just a LED lightshow.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TheJeffers posted:

You have a lot of money to play with, but you're probably splurging on a couple items whose budget allocation could be better spent elsewhere.

Unless you regularly edit large image files in Photoshop or video projects in Premiere, 32GB of RAM is not necessary for the average person yet, and it's an especially bad time to be buying large quantities of fast DDR4. 16GB is more reasonable and frees up your budget for more useful things. Accordingly, unless your workload is definitely storage-bound, you probably are better off getting a big SATA SSD instead of a smaller NVMe drive like the 960 EVO. You can add a hard drive later if you discover you're burning through storage space.

I think you're right that I don't need 32GB right now. My worry is that it'll be hard to upgrade if 16GB becomes a limiting factor say 3 or 4 years down the line. It's my understanding that it's best to find the same RAM to run in general, so wouldn't finding the exact same stuff later be a bit of a pain/expensive? I do need a hard disk, as I have about 500GB of media files and stuff that I'll be moving over, mostly music and books. I have been pretty maxed out on my current 750GB hard disk, and I'd be installing more games and so on on Windows.

quote:

That Sennheiser headset is probably nice (I have its open-backed cousin) but it is absurdly expensive. You're already buying a nice pair of speakers, so it's probably worth going with a cheaper headset and putting the savings elsewhere in your build. If headphone sound quality is important to you, it can be cheaper to get a nice pair of cans without a mic built in and just get a separate clip-on mic or something.

It's less quality and more comfort. I'm not too picky about quality (I just use iPhone earbuds for most everything) but I've had problems with large headsets being a pain to wear for long periods (hence using the iPhone earbuds even on my laptop.) If i'm going to Windows, the iPhone earbuds won't work for Skype or whatever like they do on MacOS, and my current gaming/Discord headset (a hand-me-down Turtle Beach whatever) is dying, and I want something super comfortable. The Sennheisers were recommended for that.

quote:

I think you'll be very disappointed in two tiny 1920x1080 screens; the amount of desk real estate that those will take up will not be worth it and the model you've chosen has a rather archaic set of inputs. Looking at Canadian monitor prices suggests a large, high-refresh-rate gaming display is out of your budget, probably, unless you're willing to compromise on the rest of your system's performance. You could spring for a single 27" 4K 60Hz screen and get some flexibility on the amount of usable desktop space you have with desktop scaling while enjoying 2560x1440 gaming that's practically indistinguishable from native resolution.

In terms of screens I'm coming from a 15" IPS 1600x1050 laptop screen as my daily driver for like 5 years. For me, larger resolution means more productivity space, which I also get from two monitors. I'm not too worried about the inputs, the only other thing I'd maybe connect would be like an Xbox 360 or something. I'm honestly not too experienced with HD screens at all - doubt I could pick out the difference between 720p and 1080p for a movie or whatever, and definitely not 4k. The monitor thread said the Asus VG248Q is trash, so I picked the two I did because they gave me a bit more space than I had before, were IPS, and 1080p seemed like a reasonable resolution that would be supported going forward. Desk space is a bit of an issue - I have a 45" wide desk and absolutely no room for overhang to any side.

quote:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($450.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z270XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($179.00 @ Vuugo)

This system should offer great gaming performance for years to come. You might need a bigger CPU cooler to overclock the i7-7700K quietly if it ever gets to that, but its out-of-the-box performance is so good that it's not really a concern at the moment. The case will also need 3.5" drive brackets that are sold separately should you ever want to add a mechanical hard drive, but they're inexpensive.

What's the point of the i7? I have one now, and I'm not sure I've ever done things that necessitate an i7 like movie encoding or other parallel stuff. Also doesn't Gigabyte make bad motherboards these days? (I'm just going by what I've read on the threads around here.) I might be coming from MacOS, but I'm not going to Hackintosh this.

edit: I appreciate all the help, and my apologies if this comes off as combative. This is just a big purchase and I want to make sure I'm making the right choices for me.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 8, 2017

neom
Jun 1, 2006

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
So my poor 7970 has finally reached its limit and I'm looking to upgrade. Are the entry level 1080s worth the ~£100 increase over the tricked out 1070s? I'll be overclocking regardless.
I was looking at the KFA2 1070 HOF for £420 as my sweet spot but there's a fair bit of wiggle room if there's a break point there.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Arivia posted:

It's less quality and more comfort. I'm not too picky about quality (I just use iPhone earbuds for most everything) but I've had problems with large headsets being a pain to wear for long periods (hence using the iPhone earbuds even on my laptop.) If i'm going to Windows, the iPhone earbuds won't work for Skype or whatever like they do on MacOS, and my current gaming/Discord headset (a hand-me-down Turtle Beach whatever) is dying, and I want something super comfortable. The Sennheisers were recommended for that.
Agreed - they get a lot of recommendations here.

quote:

I think you're right that I don't need 32GB right now. My worry is that it'll be hard to upgrade if 16GB becomes a limiting factor say 3 or 4 years down the line. It's my understanding that it's best to find the same RAM to run in general, so wouldn't finding the exact same stuff later be a bit of a pain/expensive?
Matching RAM is not 100% essential. It is however a common source of issues when it is not. Having said that, you can assume 16Gb will last you years. It'll also have some resale value, so at some future point you can buy more, faster RAM, and not spend a lot more.
Generally RAM is more expensive right now, so buying now to need later isn't a great option.

quote:

I'm not too worried about the inputs, the only other thing I'd maybe connect would be like an Xbox 360 or something. I'm honestly not too experienced with HD screens at all - doubt I could pick out the difference between 720p and 1080p for a movie or whatever, and definitely not 4k.
You come from Mac, can you tell the difference between the older screens and "retina" screens? It's a lot easier to see resolution on fonts / games / photos than it is in movies. Alternatively, sit 2ft away from your TV and see if 1080p is really so great.
In your shoes, I would go see some monitors in person.

quote:

What's the point of the i7? I have one now, and I'm not sure I've ever done things that necessitate an i7 like movie encoding or other parallel stuff. Also doesn't Gigabyte make bad motherboards these days?
You don't need it, but it does confer a slight advantage. Drop it as a first item if you're saving money.
I'd still avoid gigabyte, go ASUS.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

neom posted:

So my poor 7970 has finally reached its limit and I'm looking to upgrade. Are the entry level 1080s worth the ~£100 increase over the tricked out 1070s? I'll be overclocking regardless.
I was looking at the KFA2 1070 HOF for £420 as my sweet spot but there's a fair bit of wiggle room if there's a break point there.

Screen resolution?
They're worth the money on a £/fps scale. Whether your monitor needs a 1080 to push it might sway which way you buy though.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

neom posted:

Are the entry level 1080s worth the ~£100 increase over the tricked out 1070s? I'll be overclocking regardless.

I think the general advice around here is that the tricked out Pascal cards are not worth any extra money over the cheaper ones, go for the cheapest that will have the cooling and noise levels you can accept.

neom
Jun 1, 2006

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
1920x1200 for the foreseeable future, and some VR when the game library gets there. I suppose I'll go to 2560x1440 when this monitor finally dies but I'm not really interested in 4K or multi-monitor gaming.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

neom posted:

1920x1200 for the foreseeable future, and some VR when the game library gets there. I suppose I'll go to 2560x1440 when this monitor finally dies but I'm not really interested in 4K or multi-monitor gaming.

An RX480/580 or a 6Gb 1060 will push games just fine at that resolution. A 1070 would work well with a 1440p upgrade.
It's worth mentioning that the image quality difference between (I assume) your aged TN panel and a modern IPS is very significant, even if you don't step up resolution much.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Khablam posted:

Agreed - they get a lot of recommendations here.

Matching RAM is not 100% essential. It is however a common source of issues when it is not. Having said that, you can assume 16Gb will last you years. It'll also have some resale value, so at some future point you can buy more, faster RAM, and not spend a lot more.
Generally RAM is more expensive right now, so buying now to need later isn't a great option.

Okay, 16 is fine then. I should be able to swing $100-150 for a RAM upgrade in a few years if I absolutely need to.

quote:

You come from Mac, can you tell the difference between the older screens and "retina" screens?

Not really. I looked at the current Mac range, the screens looked great but I couldn't really tell a difference from what I had going on already. I liked the productivity of having two web browser windows open at full size next to each other on the 27" iMac, but I could do that on two monitors obviously.

quote:

It's a lot easier to see resolution on fonts / games / photos than it is in movies. Alternatively, sit 2ft away from your TV and see if 1080p is really so great. In your shoes, I would go see some monitors in person.

Okay, I did it. I went to the ~50" 1080p HDTV upstairs, measured two feet from it and watched on a stool. I could see pixels then I realized I was watching SD content (I can't imagine why British archaeology shows for seniors aren't in 4k HDR). Switched over to something in full HD and it looked totally fine. I'm sure it would look even better on a smaller 21" screen because then the PPI would be much higher. Honestly I think it's fine for me, I'm just not that picky.

quote:

I'd still avoid gigabyte, go ASUS.

Okay. The Engrish on ASRock's website kind of scared me anyway. Out of the ASUS Z270 boards, both the PRIME Z270-A and the ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING are in my price range. Is there anything to recommend one over the other? Would either or both be okay for the Sennheiser headset, since apparently that requires a good audio chipset? There's a ton of other ASUS options in that $300 or less Z270 range, just not sure which one's worth it. (I'm presuming that if I bought a motherboard with built in wifi I could just use that and drop the separate wifi card.)

This is where I'm at right now:

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME Z270-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($206.15 @ shopRBC)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($348.00 @ shopRBC)
Storage: Western Digital - Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($113.98 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ Memory Express)
Headphones: Sennheiser - G4ME ZERO Headset ($299.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $2879.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-08 10:11 EDT-0400

Remaining questions:
-Still not sure if that's the right model of 1070. Is getting one with a backplate a better idea? I'm not too concerned about the factory overclock or whatever, just want one that works reliably well.
-Should I get a larger PSU? PCPartPicker estimates the power at 380W, which is 69% of the 550W. Add a bit more for pushing past the estimate and that's a quarter of the PSU's capacity free, which apparently matters for longevity. About the only thing I'd possibly add would be a sound card if the motherboard's sound can't drive the Sennheiser, or maybe a larger hard disk if I run out of space on this one.

e: How's the reliability on say a 4TB hard disk these days? I remembered I have about a terabyte of stuff on a portable external I'd like to have accessible if possible. Would getting a WD Red 4TB be okay? I hate when I have to wait for a hard disk to spin up and it freezes the system for a few seconds.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 8, 2017

neom
Jun 1, 2006

Khablam posted:

An RX480/580 or a 6Gb 1060 will push games just fine at that resolution. A 1070 would work well with a 1440p upgrade.
It's worth mentioning that the image quality difference between (I assume) your aged TN panel and a modern IPS is very significant, even if you don't step up resolution much.

Now that I check, even my 2014 144hz monitor is a TN panel. Perhaps that new monitor will come sooner rather than later...

Cheapest 1070 without a reference fan it is. Cheers.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Not sure if this is the right place to be posting this or if I need to find another thread. About a month or two ago I built this system for my brother, but the CPU seems to be running warmer than I think it should.

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor (Purchased For $64.99)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $26.99)
Motherboard: ASRock - H270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $118.50)
Memory: G.Skill - NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Seagate - FireCuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $99.99)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 470 4GB Video Card (Purchased For $169.99)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $99.99)
Total: $580.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-08 10:46 EDT-0400

Using Speccy to check the CPU temp, it's idling in the low to mid 30°C range, which seems higher than I feel like it should with an ambient temp of around 24°C, for reference my i5-6500 with a Cryorig H7 idles around 23°C. I have tried reinstalling the heatsink along with reapplying thermal paste but it didn't seem to fix anything. Is this a naturally hot CPU/is the C7 just a bad cooler? Let me know if I need to post this question elsewhere. Thanks.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 8, 2017

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I have a dual monitor, a personal PC (yes, I realize what the P stands for), and a docked work laptop that is completely locked down.

I want a KVM switch that will support any combination of monitor display. E.g all laptop, all PC, one of each, etc. Everything should at least be DVI. What are some recommendations?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
What do the load temperatures look like? Because idle below 35°C is pretty meaningless (and you're comparing a full size tower cooler to a small form factor cooler in a tower case) and also depends on other stuff like where the computer is set up, what else you have in it generating heat, what other fans you have in that case etc.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

orcane posted:

What do the load temperatures look like? Because idle below 35°C is pretty meaningless (and you're comparing a full size tower cooler to a small form factor cooler in a tower case) and also depends on other stuff like where the computer is set up, what else you have in it generating heat, what other fans you have in that case etc.

Default fan configuration (one front 140mm intake, one rear 120mm exhaust), blower style GPU, PSU set to draw air from below the case. Load temps seem to be around 60°C in things like Unigine Heaven and the new Hitman game iirc. I'm not with the computer so I can't check right now, but I think I'm remembering it hitting those temps. System is set up in a bedroom with ambient temps that are "cold" according to my brother, I've also not been able to verify this myself, I've only messed with it when I built it in a dining room with ambient temp around 24°C. This is only the second full PC build I've done, after my own, so I'm just not sure if these temps should be considered acceptable.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I think the c7 might be a lovely cooler, my i7 7700k can hit 95C when playing pubg. Definitely looking at replacing it, but it's gonna be a real pain in the rear end to do it since i went with a mini ITX board.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Arivia posted:

Remaining questions:
-Still not sure if that's the right model of 1070. Is getting one with a backplate a better idea? I'm not too concerned about the factory overclock or whatever, just want one that works reliably well.
-Should I get a larger PSU? PCPartPicker estimates the power at 380W, which is 69% of the 550W. Add a bit more for pushing past the estimate and that's a quarter of the PSU's capacity free, which apparently matters for longevity. About the only thing I'd possibly add would be a sound card if the motherboard's sound can't drive the Sennheiser, or maybe a larger hard disk if I run out of space on this one.

e: How's the reliability on say a 4TB hard disk these days? I remembered I have about a terabyte of stuff on a portable external I'd like to have accessible if possible. Would getting a WD Red 4TB be okay? I hate when I have to wait for a hard disk to spin up and it freezes the system for a few seconds.

4TB hard drives have great reliability nowadays. Your PSU and graphics card are fine, but I also have to jump in and say that dropping 3 stacks on a gaming rig and getting two tiny rear end 1080p monitors physically hurts me, as does spending 10% of your budget on a headset. You may think they're significantly bigger than a laptop, but imo that's not really comparable. I'd highly recommend a single nice 27" monitor. Also buying microphone and headphones separately could increase quality for lower price, unless you really need or want a headset specifically.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Variable_H posted:

Default fan configuration (one front 140mm intake, one rear 120mm exhaust), blower style GPU, PSU set to draw air from below the case. Load temps seem to be around 60°C in things like Unigine Heaven and the new Hitman game iirc. I'm not with the computer so I can't check right now, but I think I'm remembering it hitting those temps. System is set up in a bedroom with ambient temps that are "cold" according to my brother, I've also not been able to verify this myself, I've only messed with it when I built it in a dining room with ambient temp around 24°C. This is only the second full PC build I've done, after my own, so I'm just not sure if these temps should be considered acceptable.

'Idle' temps are meaningless, he could have anything running on there keeping the CPU from parking properly. Having said that, the C7 is a low profile. Those temperatures are about normal. ITX is just a hotter format size.
Put it under load to verify it stays within safe temps under stress.

Arivia posted:

Remaining questions:

- The one you picked out is good.
- I actually would. With your budget try a RMx 650w. Bit more overhead, very reliable and well warrantied.
- 4Tb is now fine.

e: Last mention that your budget allows for one much nicer display.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Alright, thanks guys. I'll get with him to do some system stress tests and see what happens. Again, I'm pretty sure I remember it being fine when I did some quick tests after setting it up.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A Bag of Milk posted:

4TB hard drives have great reliability nowadays. Your PSU and graphics card are fine, but I also have to jump in and say that dropping 3 stacks on a gaming rig and getting two tiny rear end 1080p monitors physically hurts me, as does spending 10% of your budget on a headset. You may think they're significantly bigger than a laptop, but imo that's not really comparable. I'd highly recommend a single nice 27" monitor. Also buying microphone and headphones separately could increase quality for lower price, unless you really need or want a headset specifically.

I guess that's kind of the crux of it, eh? Thinking about it, you're all looking at the system I'm getting and going "that's pretty good" but I'm using it to drive something that's pretty underwhelming. Everyone I've shown this parts list to has been like "jesus loving christ that's a lot of computer." Whereas I came at it from a perspective of "I just want to be able to do the standard for the next five years" and just picked what the common parts are that I've been seeing and tying in the recommendations I've seen here or elsewhere. Like I put in the i5-7600k and the Z270 because that's what you are all saying is the current go-to. The WD Red seems a bit overblown to me, I'm not running a NAS, but I'm following the guidelines since that seems to be reliable. I guess I'm still thinking about this from the Mac perspective of "get the standard reliable option and just ride that." Like I did some looking around and the 1070 seems to be noted as the go-to top-end 1080p card. That appeals to me, there's a resolution that works and I get the best card for that resolution and it just goes from there. There's some appeal to bigger numbers because they're the bigger numbers, but I'd kind of rather make choices that get me more efficiency or comfort for what I'm used to doing. I'd rather run steadily and consistently over five years of use than push hard and have to pull back later on. So I guess I'll break it down this way:

-I want at least a 1080p screen. I have 45" width of desk space to put a monitor on. I'd ideally like it to be IPS, since I'm spoiled from my MBP.
-I'd really like to be able to run WoW and Netflix at the same time. That's one thing I was really looking for in this upgrade, so I could fish or do other grindy poo poo while watching some TV. Two monitors did that. In my experience, and it might be outdated, running something like WoW in a window next to another window would be slow and neither would be as good. Is it possible to get a wider/larger monitor that could do those side by side well? The productivity stuff I do do like writing essays and so on would be helped by being able to have reference material and a document open at the same time, too.
-If I do get a screen with a better resolution, how long is that better resolution going to be feasible without upgrades? I'm tired of running games on my laptop and after three or so years or so I'm goosing settings to get 30 fps at medium or low. I'd prefer being able to run 1080p at good settings consistently at 60 fps for the next five years over having to lower settings and drop resolution after a couple years.
-Also Canadian monitor prices are weird and expensive. I could mix around some stuff and go for this, for example: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/LVV48d/asus-monitor-pb278q but probably nothing more expensive than that.

Also I'm open to other headset options (I do listen to poo poo on speakers a lot, so I'd like that still), but my major priority is comfort. I've never found a headset I liked wearing for long times, I just tolerated it. The one I have listed is supposed to be super comfortable, which is what's nice. Currently I use my MBP laptop speakers and iPhone earbuds, the quality isn't so big a deal.

e: I want to build a PC because doing it myself is appealing and sounds really rewarding. But I like the "don't have to think about poo poo, it just works" Mac ethos and I'm still trying to keep that going, just with a better basis for gaming.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 8, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Go see some monitors in person man.

No wall of text is going to answer this for you. I can't imagine anyone accepting generic-1080p after seeing 1440p with G-sync or 4k, and/or 144hz.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, expensive monitors really are a worthwhile purchase if you have the cash. The difference is pretty dramatic. Mine is an ultrawide gsync that only goes to 100 hz, but even the difference between 60 Hz and 100 Hz is very noticeable. It is considerably smoother.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

So I've noticed my power supply ( Seasonic S12II-520) is almost a year past its 3 year warranty so I thought it was time for an upgrade. I figured another 500-550W unit should be more than enough for my usage (overclocked i5-4570k and a 1070), except this time I'd grab a modular one instead.

I remember seeing the EVGA G2 Supernova recommended here, anything else I should look into? I live in Poland so no need to post US sales. The only other thing I would like to have are slightly longer SATA power cables - I have 4 devices currently connected to the PSU (in a Corsair carbide 200R case) and the cables are kind of tense and could loose connection when fiddled around.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
The advice I always give is to splurge on the monitor and sound system as those are going to be the two things you interact with the most and will stick with you across multiple upgrades. Particularly in the case of monitors because a poor monitor can strain your eyes and potentially to give you headaches.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

mmkay posted:

So I've noticed my power supply ( Seasonic S12II-520) is almost a year past its 3 year warranty so I thought it was time for an upgrade. I figured another 500-550W unit should be more than enough for my usage (overclocked i5-4570k and a 1070), except this time I'd grab a modular one instead.

I remember seeing the EVGA G2 Supernova recommended here, anything else I should look into? I live in Poland so no need to post US sales. The only other thing I would like to have are slightly longer SATA power cables - I have 4 devices currently connected to the PSU (in a Corsair carbide 200R case) and the cables are kind of tense and could loose connection when fiddled around.
EVGA G2 or G3 are both good. The G3 is an updated design that is also a little smaller. The corsair RMx units are also fine, and often recommended.

I am not an expert in polish, but these look like them here.
https://www.morele.net/zasilacz-evga-supernova-g3-550w-220-g3-0550-y1-1103092/
https://www.morele.net/zasilacz-corsair-rm550x-80plus-gold-550w-cp-9020090-eu-779365/

Ghostpilot posted:

The advice I always give is to splurge on the monitor and sound system as those are going to be the two things you interact with the most and will stick with you across multiple upgrades. Particularly in the case of monitors because a poor monitor can strain your eyes and potentially to give you headaches.
Monitor for sure. The PG348Q I am using is definitely worth it. As for audio, I like to have a nice set of headphones/headset, but apart from that I am fine with a mid-quality 2.0 speaker set for when I am too lazy for headphones.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I can't emphasize strongly enough how much better the Acer predator is than my old 1080p ultra sync. You don't have to go that ham, but a good high res, high refresh g/free sync is as dramatic as the ssd revolution. You look at the monitor ALL THE TIME. Spend money on it appropriately.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
6GB EVGA 1060 under $200 (without a rebate, Amazon Prime required) for the first time in a while: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IPVSGEC

EDIT: Back in stock, still under $200.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 9, 2017

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Can we stop recommending the 7600K over the 7700K for expensive computers? The performance difference is significant and the added cost is absolutely nothing in a 2-3K build. Hell, it's even worth it in builds worth half that.

The "i7's offer nothing for gaming" meme needs to gently caress off, and surely everyone will have seen that from the massive wave of CPU benchmarking that has come about from the Ryzen launch.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I think my CPU fan has been facing the wrong way all this time.

Huh.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

BurritoJustice posted:

Can we stop recommending the 7600K over the 7700K for expensive computers? The performance difference is significant and the added cost is absolutely nothing in a 2-3K build. Hell, it's even worth it in builds worth half that.

The "i7's offer nothing for gaming" meme needs to gently caress off, and surely everyone will have seen that from the massive wave of CPU benchmarking that has come about from the Ryzen launch.

So Intel recommends that 7700k owners not overclock it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mooktastical posted:

So Intel recommends that 7700k owners not overclock it.

Somehow I've a feeling this is all going to eventually feed into: https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

Death Hamster
Aug 21, 2007
Is this a two-bagger I see before me?
Hi, I want advice on purchasing a desktop.

What country are you in?

United States of America.

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?

Gaming and Software Development/Web Development/Unity Development

What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.

$2000. I only have a laptop now so I'll need a monitor and keyboard. I think that's it because i have a mouse I use with my laptop.

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?

Visual Studio Pro. Atom. Git. NodeJS

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?

1920 x 1080. I would like to run witcher 3 with all the cool graphics enabled without having major slow downs. I don't need a 4K monitor. I'd like to be able to use VR eventually.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finally have a home office to call my own. Before I had to have a laptop because I was using the dining room table and would have to break it down and set it back up again daily, so I got a gaming laptop, which was an overpriced overheating piece of Ibuypower crap.

I mostly will use it for gaming. I will keep my old laptop for going over to friends' houses or if I go on a trip and need some entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

EVGA G2 or G3 are both good. The G3 is an updated design that is also a little smaller. The corsair RMx units are also fine, and often recommended.

I am not an expert in polish, but these look like them here.
https://www.morele.net/zasilacz-evga-supernova-g3-550w-220-g3-0550-y1-1103092/
https://www.morele.net/zasilacz-corsair-rm550x-80plus-gold-550w-cp-9020090-eu-779365/

Cool, thanks for the recommendations!