Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Calaveron posted:

What I'd like to see more of is actual virtual console games because I feel personally offended every time I open the store and see nothing but new neo geo games and no actual classic nintendo games

Why the hell are there so many neo geo games

I mean cool if you like them I dig it but why is neo geo llc releasing all of its games on the switch

Well maybe Nintendo doesn't think you should have to buy those same old games over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
how much is shovel knight like a dark soul. i seek souls

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not in the slightest

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Any time you die you lose half your money but you cam recover it if you get to the spot you died before dying again much like dark souls

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I know y'all wanted the splatoon themed carry case for your entire switch and it's up for pre order with amiami:

http://slist.amiami.com/top/detail/...0%24pagecnt%3D1

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

my new dog posted:

how much is shovel knight like a dark soul. i seek souls

it's a mashup of classic NES - megaman / ducktales / smw / metroid / ninja gaiden etc. It's got a DS-ish death system and it can be difficult but it's not really much like DS at all.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm a giant weirdo because I just can't seem to get into Shovel Knight the way I did with Megaman 9. I don't know why.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I never got into a "retro" game at all before shovel knight but it turns out... shovel knight is good!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Specter of Torment is the Dark Souls of Shovek Knight.

Because you collect souls.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Calaveron posted:

What I'd like to see more of is actual virtual console games because I feel personally offended every time I open the store and see nothing but new neo geo games and no actual classic nintendo games

Why the hell are there so many neo geo games

I mean cool if you like them I dig it but why is neo geo llc releasing all of its games on the switch
There is a company called Hamster porting those NeoGeo games to PS4, Xbone and Switch.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'm a giant weirdo because I just can't seem to get into Shovel Knight the way I did with Megaman 9. I don't know why.

I didn't like it and thought it was a waste until I hit around halfway and it clicked and now I really appreciate it. I found it a little too hard, but once I had the physics figured out it became really fun.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

parallelodad posted:

Specter of Torment is the Dark Souls of Shovek Knight.

Because you collect souls.

But the souls are bright.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Cojawfee posted:

Good news, it will probably be available on computer.

Microsoft would rather Rare be shut down, than release a game as beautiful and chill as Viva Pinata ever again.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Re the comment upthread regarding the fundamental appeal of the hardware:

I agree with this statement. I'm having a grand old time designing and printing accessories for the Switch, and lots of other folks are, too. Being able to play the same games at home as you can on the go with the same state and no special additional hardware is something I've wanted for a really long time. I'll take the reduced resolution relative to other consoles/PC in exchange.

I generally have preferred the DS family to the Wii family of products just library wise and not having to choose anymore is really exciting. I can only hope a new Golden Sun game comes out for it.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

Microsoft would rather Rare be shut down, than release a game as beautiful and chill as Viva Pinata ever again.

Rare actually did that to themselves. The big reason Microsoft has been outsourcing Rare IPs the past 4 years is because they can't get Rare to do anything with them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SilverSupernova posted:

Rare actually did that to themselves. The big reason Microsoft has been outsourcing Rare IPs the past 4 years is because they can't get Rare to do anything with them.

Are you seriously trying to tell me, "Make the game we tell you to make because we own you, and will shut you down if you don't," doesn't apply to Rare?

The only reason they wouldn't be making a game is if they weren't given a budget for one by the guy holding the pursestrings.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 9, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Has Microsoft owned Rare longer than Nintendo did at this point?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only thing that Rare have done since 2008 that wasn't ports or Kinect crap is Killer Instinct and that got taken off them and given to another developer.
I don't think anything has been seen of Sea of Thieves since two E3's ago.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wasn't Nuts and Bolts in 2009? I remember I was unemployed when I played it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Rare got locked in a room till they made a good game but then they all died

rip

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

parallelodad posted:

Wasn't Nuts and Bolts in 2009? I remember I was unemployed when I played it.

Wikipedia days November 2008

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
At this point it's more accurate to say rare owned Microsoft by costing a lot of money and not actually being a good investment in the long run

I miss Scribes and Uncle Tusk

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

"It wasn't until early 2009, shortly before Project Natal hit the stage at E3, that Kinect's capabilities had solidified enough for game development to proceed. "The studio had just completed its restructure at that point," says Price. "We'd just shipped Viva Pinata: Trouble In Paradise and Banjo: Nuts 'n' Bolts, and I remember some new projects were prototyped after those two releases, but everything kind of got pushed to one side. We were told that the studio would focus on the Xbox Live Avatars business, Kinect Sports, and a kind of Kinect health and fitness game, I think it was."
c

Kinect Sports was originally conceived as a more complex sim, Sports Star, built around the idea of being a pro athlete, with gesture controls that were supposedly beyond anything available on the Wii. "But I remember at some point, the feedback came down from Don Mattrick I believe, and it was: 'No, just give us Wii Sports with Kinect.' So internally, yeah, Kinect was very much a reaction to the Wii's success, the fact that they sold millions and millions and always sold out every Christmas.""

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

The only thing that Rare have done since 2008 that wasn't ports or Kinect crap is Killer Instinct and that got taken off them and given to another developer.

Given to Double Helix of Silent Hill Homecoming and Front Mission Evolved "fame" and then eventually given to Iron Galaxy after Double Helix got bought by Amazon of all people. I'd not even consider it a Rare game.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't you remember last year's very exciting gameplay demo that included realtime reaction video of "players" obnoxiously screaming definitely real, definitely not prescripted reactions to each other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQlsN6EO2oU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Is there even anybody left at Rare who worked on the games we're all nostalgic about?

To be honest at this point they sound like a classic rock band whose sole original member is the drummer who joined on the third album. Kind of like Bioware.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 9, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
The trailers and stuff around Sea of Thieves is cringeworthy but I honestly do hope it turns out good. It'd be sad to see Rare continue to whither and die out.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Imagined posted:

Is there even anybody left at Rare who worked on the games we're all nostalgic about?

Maybe one of the sound guys. Most of them bailed before the XBox One.

It's kinda sad seeing how Sea of Thieves turned out given that this was Rare's 3 decade spanning dream project.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The new Donkey Kong games are better than the originals in every way except the visual aesthetic, which I find to be kind of too clean and dreamworksish.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Tender Bender posted:

The new Donkey Kong games are better than the originals in every way except the visual aesthetic, which I find to be kind of too clean and dreamworksish.

To be fair the original dkc look is pretty ugly.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tender Bender posted:

None have really matched the atmosphere of DKC3

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Tender Bender posted:

This is precisely what I don't like about NBA Playgrounds. They just gave them big eyes, big heads, and a really plastic looking aesthetic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Imagined posted:

To be honest at this point they sound like a classic rock band whose sole original member is the drummer who joined on the third album. Kind of like Bioware.

They all jumped ship and started Playtronic, to make the kinds of games they used to and actually want to. Hence, Yooka-Laylee.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Here's the ranking.

1) DKC3: Dixie's Double Trouble
2) DKCR: Tropical Freeze
3) DKC2: Diddy's Kong Quest
4) DKCR
5) DKC
6) DKL
7) DKL3
8) DK64
9) DKL2
10) DK King of Swing
11) DK The other one that was on DS, or the other one that was on GBA? The King of Swing sequel or prequel

I never played the bongo one, can't rank. I'd honestly recommend any of 1 - 8

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ranking DK3 over DK2 should be punishable by being disagreed with ITT

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Are people still seeing issues with slowdown on the Isaac switch port?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Meridian posted:

yup. brimstone beams, and fighting IT Lives! in greed mode are the major choke inducers. Interestingly, you can fill the screen with normal projectiles and it runs just fine.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stux posted:

the number of xbox one exclusives currently announced is 0

I really want to see the Xbox One fail and Microsoft close their Xbox offices, just to see all the think pieces bout how that's bad news for Nintendo

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Meridian posted:

I got the the womb and had like three buddies, the curving shot, and extra large tears or something and it slowed down. That room also had like 50 jumping spiders.

That's the only time in some 35 hours of play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Vita version was a bit rough, but if it's better than that I could look passed a few issues here and there.

• Locked thread