Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

gegi posted:

Isn't it also on Steam for PC?

It's been on Steam and GOG since October, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

gegi posted:

Isn't it also on Steam for PC?

I guess it is. I didn't know that. But it's still the same problem that it's not portable. I have a lot of downtime at work that I can play these things on Vita but when I'm at home I need to prioritize and there's already a queue.

I got my copy of Period Cube yesterday but I haven't started it yet.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Looks like in preparation for Meakashi, the group doing the Higurashi PS3 patches made installers that download the patches for you as a far more convenient process, on top on updating the existing patches to not be a billion GB.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

That's nice of them. Now, about that ugly Umineko pachinko art...

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fru Fru posted:

I guess it is. I didn't know that. But it's still the same problem that it's not portable. I have a lot of downtime at work that I can play these things on Vita but when I'm at home I need to prioritize and there's already a queue.

I got my copy of Period Cube yesterday but I haven't started it yet.

It's only not portable if you don't have a solution for it. There are plenty of apps that allow you to remotely connect to your PC, and latency is hardly a problem with VNs. I personally use Splashtop Streamer.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sea Sponge Run posted:

That's nice of them. Now, about that ugly Umineko pachinko art...
I mean they have one for that too, though not with a fancy downloader/installer.

Also an observation on the new Higurashi patches: you should delete the old content (the StreamingAssets folder), because it doesn't clean out all of the legacy stuff. But after deleting/re-downloading a chapter entirely it went from around ~5 GB to ~1.2 GB, so it does make a difference.

E: Also minor but it caught me by surprise for a hot second, but it looks like they default to the Steam sprites instead of the better PS3 ones. Have to select "Original" to go with the PS3 set. The PS3 set not only looks a lot better, but they have unique/additional sprites for various characters so make sure you select that set instead.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 1, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's Ever17 day! Let's all go celebrate at Lemu and play kick the can!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Mmm, mmm. Let's all subsist on fried chicken sandwiches.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's only not portable if you don't have a solution for it. There are plenty of apps that allow you to remotely connect to your PC, and latency is hardly a problem with VNs. I personally use Splashtop Streamer.

Good to know!

Period Cube is maybe bad. I have gotten one bad ending and one game over so far so maybe some of the good ends will redeem it a little. Of course the first route I landed on was that creeper that shows up in every game so that didn't help.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

From what I heard, the Period Cube visual novel was meant as a sort of companion piece to the drama CDs of the same name, and that it's not a great visual novel on its own. And of course, those drama CDs are untranslated and will likely remain as such, making it a very strange choice of VN for Aksys to localize.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

From what I heard, the Period Cube visual novel was meant as a sort of companion piece to the drama CDs of the same name, and that it's not a great visual novel on its own. And of course, those drama CDs are untranslated and will likely remain as such, making it a very strange choice of VN for Aksys to localize.

The same reason I've always thought Dialovers were a terrible otome and I hope they never localize it :mad:

CxM is good and I'm waiting for BAW's release date (sept?)

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
Done with Period Cube and yeah, it was pretty bad. And also really short since I only started it two days ago. I do not recommend it unless you are really bored and also it was free.

The MC is awful. She is deliberately made stupid so you can fill up your dictionary with words that everyone knows like server and message. She also has no backbone and the only option when confronted with these creeps is to be embarrassed or doki doki. Yuck

And yeah, most of the guys are creeps even on the good endings. And in the bad endings either they are all creeps or in a surprise twist, you're the creep! I think there were about 2 decent endings in the whole bunch (14).

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The Meakashi ps3 voice + graphics patch is out https://github.com/07th-mod/meakashi/releases

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's a hell of a turnaround time. Even has the CGs and everything.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Higurashi Ch 5 is good so far, I haven't had much time at all to finish it yet so I'm still less than halfway through. The music is wayyyyy better than the previous entries.

Also, even five chapters in, any time Rena's creepy-eyes show up I get actual chills (Steam sprites). The tonal shifts in this are great.

E: JFC what the hell Shion please stop beating the sobbing abused children. :stare:

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 5, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

food court bailiff posted:

Higurashi Ch 5 is good so far, I haven't had much time at all to finish it yet so I'm still less than halfway through. The music is wayyyyy better than the previous entries.

Also, even five chapters in, any time Rena's creepy-eyes show up I get actual chills (Steam sprites). The tonal shifts in this are great.

E: JFC what the hell Shion please stop beating the sobbing abused children. :stare:
Meakashi, a touching story about how love can inspire one to accomplish and achieve so much.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 6, 2017

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Meakashi, a touching story about how love can inspire one to accomplish and achieve so much.

:psyduck:

Well, I finished it. I loved it even though the revelation of the murderer wasn't exactly shocking - I guess I never really thought critically about the actual plot murders of the chapter it's answering because it seemed so obvious on the surface that twin shenanigans were occurring, since Mion/Shion kept making mistakes about asking the same thing several times and things like that, and I was way too caught up in figuring out the rest of the curse/how it tied into the chapter before it. I just looked up a translation of this chapter as "obvious" though so I guess that was intended.

In the chapter it's answering, which I'm only spoiling because it seemed so much more like it was going to tie in with Tatarigoroshi until the halfway point and that was cool, how did Keiichi die? There was a dramatic scene but I can't remember if it was followed up with a TIPS clarifying that it was a fever or something, presumably from his wound? Or is it still a ~~mystery~~?

MAJOR WALL OF SPOILERED THEORIES:
The one thing that I really took away from this chapter was that I wasn't looking at the curse on a nearly big enough scale. Really, if I wasn't dense, I should have picked up on that more from Chapter 4, but the whole thing is a long con to kill Rika at the end of '83. We know that. We know that she has some kind of supernatural abilities, at least to the point of living through most of her life (apparently) countless times. So the questions really to be focusing on are:

-How does the 'curse' advance the goals of killing Rika? I don't know. This chapter posits the existence of a "curse system" but it's impossible to prove, almost by nature. Plus, Granny Oryou said that she had nothing to do with it at all, and I'm inclined to believe her because Granny Oryou is way saner than any of the POV characters have been in Higurashi to this point. Maybe it's some kind of indoctrination method - start with killing someone that everyone opposed by nature, then follow up with targets around the periphery of that incident while hiding your true target among those victims. It's no accident Rika's parents were killed, you know? Of course, her mother was a jerk, so it's not out of the question that Rika killed her herself, but barring that possibility it's clear that the true perpetrator is angling around Rika and trying to leave her vulnerable.

-Who wants to kill Rika? Well, it's got to be someone that knows about her status as Oyashiro-sama and presumably her time loops. I think there are three or four suspects here - Takano, with her desire to research the curse and the village's sordid past, kills Tomitake, and ends up violently killed as part of Rika's retaliation? It works, except the whole part where she dies. But maybe once the 'curse' is set in motion it can continue as planned without further guidance. Then there's Ooishi - he seems extremely interested in the 'curse' as well, but it could just be a ruse to figure out who Oyashiro-sama really is. Really, this theory is only because there's something super shady about him AND there's about a million TIPS where it infers that he's the one reading the other TIPS, making him a sort of reader-character. A weak theory but I'm throwing it out there. The most convincing one to me is Rena. She believes in Oyashiro-sama's curse to the point of genuine mental illness. We know that she's practically a genius in regards to reading people and manipulating them, but the only time she reveals how cold and calculating she really is without also getting The Stare and going all freaky is in chapter 2/5 after Rika is already dead. She knows her target is dead so she's just batting cleanup there. She has a mysterious past where she claimed to hear voices and beat some kids up in the name of Oyashiro. Whatever her reasons, the timeline fits - she was a young kid in Hinamizawa when the dam protests were going on and the rumors of the curse got started, so she could have easily been behind that. She definitely spurs Keiichi on about the curse and pushing him further into madness or violence as necessary, and she did the same thing to Shmion and presumably Satoshi. I don't know who was behind the curse while she was gone to another school but I'm insanely suspicious of her. The last option is, of course, Keiichi, just because his entire existence is really suspicious and he's the catalyst for a lot of weird poo poo in '83 that apparently ultimately culminates in Rika's death.

-WHY? Good god I have no idea. If it's a personal grudge between two weird beings outside of normal time/stuck in a time loop it kind of makes sense in its own way.

The other question this chapter raised in my mind was how the other chapters tie together. In Tatarigoroshi when Keiichi calls Mion (I'm pretty sure) before the festival she all weepily asks him why he's acting exactly like Satoshi did before abandoning them. Except...as Meakashi shows, that phone call was between Satoshi and Mion-as-Shion. So normally I'd assume that Shmion had swapped with her sister, possibly violently, like in Meakashi....except that phone call took place the night before the festival, and the swap in Meakashi happened super late the night of the festival itself. It's possible the swap happened, and earlier as well, since Teppei's mistress is found dead at the start of Tatarigoroshi with her hands filled with nails and Shmion is the only one that seems to want to use that (so far), plus she hates the Houjou clan.

Gaaaaah now to wait another half a year :(

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Well, I finished it. I loved it even though the revelation of the murderer wasn't exactly shocking - I guess I never really thought critically about the actual plot murders of the chapter it's answering because it seemed so obvious on the surface that twin shenanigans were occurring, since Mion/Shion kept making mistakes about asking the same thing several times and things like that, and I was way too caught up in figuring out the rest of the curse/how it tied into the chapter before it. I just looked up a translation of this chapter as "obvious" though so I guess that was intended.
What Meakashi is actually answering is not as blatant as some of the other Answer chapters, but it does establish a variety of elements that are useful to keep in mind: with a few obvious exceptions, you now know pretty much the who/what/when/where/how/why of all of the murders, disappearances, and major events that happened over the course of Watanagashi/Meakashi. You know who the main perpetrator was and why she did the things she did, and perhaps more importantly who was NOT involved in her crimes. Watanagashi presents the events of that killing spree as if it were a grand conspiracy, but Meakashi shows that most of it was just the horrific and tragic trainwreck that was Shion, and that her whole spiel to Keiichi was more or less her bullshitting him.

In the chapter it's answering, which I'm only spoiling because it seemed so much more like it was going to tie in with Tatarigoroshi until the halfway point and that was cool, how did Keiichi die? There was a dramatic scene but I can't remember if it was followed up with a TIPS clarifying that it was a fever or something, presumably from his wound? Or is it still a ~~mystery~~?
The "official" reason is stated in the Meakashi end credit roll (these in general are worth reading carefully throughout the series for each chapter they are in for subtle clues).

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 7, 2017

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

The "official" reason is stated in the Meakashi end credit roll (these in general are worth reading carefully throughout the series for each chapter they are in for subtle clues).

Huh? After the final scene of Shion's dream of an ideal school day if she'd accepted Satoko the game just tosses "A Happy Diary" and "Disowned" TIPS at me and shunts me back to the title screen.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure why this is the case but it looks like a TIP that was left out of Hou (the version MangaGamer is using), for whatever reason. I'm fairly sure it showed up in the original release but it'd be too much of a pain to find those installs and check.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I'm not sure why this is the case but it looks like a TIP that was left out of Hou (the version MangaGamer is using), for whatever reason. I'm fairly sure it showed up in the original release but it'd be too much of a pain to find those installs and check.

Weird, thanks. It is kinda redundant to be honest, I just wanted to double check.

I know that Higurashi has a bunch of extra arcs on some releases - is there any kind of non-spoiler overview about what those cover/how they fit in? Also, does Umineko on Steam include all the answer arcs (or is it structured differently from Higurashi altogether?)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Umineko isn't structured too different. The first 4 chapters are still the Question Arcs, but this time the back 4 are the "Core Arcs" instead of the Answer Arcs. They don't really spell the the answers out for you outright, but give you more and more clues so you can reason it out yourself. It's better! Discussing and reasoning out Umineko's twisty plot with people on the internet back in the late 2000's was some of the most fun I've ever had in my life, TBH

The Steam release only contains all 4 question arcs at the moment. You can totally pick it up now and have a blast tho.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Sea Sponge Run posted:

The Steam release only contains all 4 question arcs at the moment. You can totally pick it up now and have a blast tho.

drat. Is anyone translating the rest or is it the same team focusing on Higurashi (in which case, keep working on Higurashi, duders!) I've found a real groove with having a VN autoplaying sloooowly on my other PC while I work but there's only so many unsolved mysteries a guy can handle.

Maybe I'll bite the bullet and give Root Double another shot. Despite loving Higurashi, R:D still feels a little too "anime" and pretty unsubtle.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I think the same guys are translating both higurashi and umineko. the umineko question arcs were released all at once in july of last year, so who knows when the rest will come.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mean, technically the original Umineko patches are still floating around and are what most of us used back in the day. The problem with that would be finding a way to install the original Japanese versions which can't be officially bought or downloaded anymore to my knowledge.

I know that Higurashi has a bunch of extra arcs on some releases - is there any kind of non-spoiler overview about what those cover/how they fit in?
Wikipedia has a bunch, but that whole page is decidedly not non-spoilery so I wouldn't recommend it. The wikia for the series seems better about that but good luck navigating it while also avoiding spoilers for the 8 main arcs.

TBQH the original 8 Higurashi arcs tell a pretty tight narrative with very few hanging threads and I've never had much interest in the extra arcs, outside of Saikoroshi. Everything I would read about them made these extra arcs sound completely superfluous and in a lot of cases completely at odds with the tone of the original story.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Steins Gate 0 is kind of bad, huh? I just got a very-obviously bad ending, but it only took me nine hours to get it and not many of those hours were actually very interesting.

I'm going to complete the rest once I figure out what to do to continue, but what happened to the writing? Doesn't feel anywhere near as strong

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I didn't really like it either, it was just unnecessary.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Little Busters just got approved on Steam Greenlight! Finally my favorite VN is coming out in English officially. Of course I'm a bit biased due to working on the fan translation but it seriously is a great game. See the 2nd post of this thread for more gushing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've always kind of wanted to revisit Little Busters once ME got translated, because the original way I experienced it was kind of frustrating because it was back in the day when fan translations would release partial patches only translating specific character routes. The problem was that every time this was updated the game would forget what text you already read, meaning you'd have to either repeat large stretches of content or CTRL through it all. Without getting into specifics, this is especially problematic for LB. Basically you want to breeze through those beginning parts again quickly BUT if there is new text, you want it to stop skipping to alert you of its presence. So I wanted to replay it all from the beginning, and better to do it with the additional routes/content of ME.

My overall impression of the game by the end was that the "main" story was pretty solid (so basically Rin and Refrain) but everything else was extremely hit or miss, with it being miss more often than not. The way the arcs and routes fit together felt very haphazard and incongruous, as if Key had a bin full of discarded ideas and decided to just throw them into a blender to pad out LB.

Getsuya posted:

Unlike many of Keys other games which relied on miracles or magic to solve some of the problems in the story, in Little Busters the characters face their own problems with their own strength and a whole lot of Power of Friendship, and it makes the amazing conclusion all the more sweet.
I'm sorry but lol what, the entirety of Refrain is a miracle/magic-laden asspull. I mean I kind of liked it just the same because I was used to that when it came to Key but let's call a spade a spade.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
True, I'm actually not sure what I was thinking back when I wrote that.

One additional thing I liked about LB was that the group felt more like a circle of friends and less like a harem.

I'm curious to see how the ME routes are since, as was mentioned above, a lot of the non-main-plot stuff felt like padding. I can't imagine adding more side routes without it just feeling like bloat.

Guess we'll all see once it comes out!

(Bizarre side-story: last time I told someone I worked on the translation for LB the guy rolled up his sleeve to reveal a tattoo of the girl who's route I translated. It was one of the strangest things I've ever experienced.)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'm gonna need to know which girl it was

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

getting a tattoo of Key art, yikes

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Stexils posted:

poo poo, I mean, Kanon is pretty special to me in terms of my fandom but gently caress getting a tattoo of it.

Think it's time to rig a VPN or Tunnel to my house so I can abuse Remotr to play VNs since Vita barely has a few localized. There's more coming but not for a few months.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

lets hang out posted:

I'm gonna need to know which girl it was

Thankfully not Kud.

It was Haruka.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Any opinions on the Utawarerumono games? Atlus is putting out Mask of Deception later this month.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Stexils posted:

yeah I only have tattoos of original Higurashi art

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Motto posted:

Any opinions on the Utawarerumono games? Atlus is putting out Mask of Deception later this month.

They have really good OPs. Japanese consensus is 2-1 is a short, kind of mediocre set-up for 2-2 which is freaking amazing. The one coming out this month is 2-1. You might want to watch the anime of the first game (Utawarerumono, no subtitle) so you know all the returning characters and about the world it takes place in (plus it's a pretty darn good anime).

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Motto posted:

It's been ten years since I played the first one, but I remember it being fine? Decent plot and tolerable gameplay, but not remarkable in either case. Honestly I preferred the anime.

I've not played or watched the sequels.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Steins Gate 0 is kind of bad, huh? I just got a very-obviously bad ending, but it only took me nine hours to get it and not many of those hours were actually very interesting.

I'm going to complete the rest once I figure out what to do to continue, but what happened to the writing? Doesn't feel anywhere near as strong

I sort of like it conceptually but getting the motivation to continue playing it is almost impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The first Utawarerumono game got exceedingly dumb at the end.