Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

a bone to pick posted:

Luigi is better than Mario.

This is not an unpopular opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ditty bout my clitty posted:

The last of us was the best game released for the PS3

It was a good story wrapped around the most bog standard 3rd person gameplay ever which was made worse by having intentionally clunky controls to make it feel more desperate. I hate games that purposefully handicap the player like that in the name of difficulty, but I guess it is easier to make controls more sluggish than it would be to make enemies smarter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jimmy Noskill posted:

1. While Witcher 3 is a great game, Witcher 2 is better because it's a "tighter" experience, the in-game choices have more of an impact, and the plot has no "save the world" elements.

Witcher 2 also feels the most uniquely "Witcher-y" of the three games. The first game has hints of it, while the third game is a great blend of fantasy and distinctly Polish aesthetics. But 2 is on the frontier of society and it has those giant trees, remote outposts and a city built by lizard people.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

It was a good story wrapped around the most bog standard 3rd person gameplay ever which was made worse by having intentionally clunky controls to make it feel more desperate. I hate games that purposefully handicap the player like that in the name of difficulty, but I guess it is easier to make controls more sluggish than it would be to make enemies smarter.

The controls were great, It was awesome not being nathan drake the bulletproof man for a change.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'd place TW2 over TW3, but really, I couldn't stand either of them. But I finished TW2 as it was a gift and didn't want to look like an rear end in a top hat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ditty bout my clitty posted:

The controls were great, It was awesome not being nathan drake the bulletproof man for a change.

But it is so drat boring and dull.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Sonic is objectively the best, coolest video game character of all time, bar none.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Crash Bandicoot games have always been poo poo and the only people who like them were born in the 90s.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Naughty Dog should make more Jak and Daxter games to wash away that lovely rear end PSP sequel Lost Frontier or whatever it was called.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Warhammer Total War is loving awesome and the best total war since the first Rome. Looking forward to part's 2 and 3 to make a super massive world of warhammer

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man
heroes of might and magic V was completely upstaged in every way by King's Bounty the legend. i tried to replay HoMM V again and god what a slow boring lovely slog.

Legacy of Kain Defiance was the last good action puzzle game

Alan wake is poo poo

Alpha Protocol is an amazing game

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Ever since Ive witnessed death and been forced to lead and care for others I have become incapable of enjoying video games the same way I did as a teenager. I'll buy games, I'll try to play them, but I become detached, I "see the pixels". I may enjoy multiplayer games with friends, but it is truly my friends company that I enjoy.

Adult life is often hell, whos few pleasures come the bonds we form with others and not from collecting achievements

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Poco posted:

Alpha Protocol is an amazing game

I want to believe this so badly, but the game is riddled with glitches. It would be one of the best games ever if they just fixed all the issues on PC

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poco posted:

heroes of might and magic V was completely upstaged in every way by King's Bounty the legend. i tried to replay HoMM V again and god what a slow boring lovely slog.

why would you waste your time on this trash, just play HoMM 3. its the best one and has never been surpassed.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Secret of Mana was a poo poo game and secret of Evermore was vastly better both in plot and mechanics.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Blockade posted:

Ever since Ive witnessed death and been forced to lead and care for others I have become incapable of enjoying video games the same way I did as a teenager. I'll buy games, I'll try to play them, but I become detached, I "see the pixels". I may enjoy multiplayer games with friends, but it is truly my friends company that I enjoy.

Adult life is often hell, whos few pleasures come the bonds we form with others and not from collecting achievements

Buddy... Have you seen a therapist? I'm not being cheeky that's just really loving dark

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It really shouldn't be feeling like hell dude. Unless you're playing Doom.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

nullEntityRNG posted:

Secret of Mana was a poo poo game and secret of Evermore was vastly better both in plot and mechanics.

When did this thread turn into "State Objective Facts"?

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

The first post.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tallgeese posted:

Every video game thread devolves into just "discuss your favorite video games" no matter what the initial topic was. It's the same way with movie threads - look at the PYF irritating movie moments (actually don't), for every post that fits the topic there is a full page of one just talking about minutiae about comic book movies.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Burnout Paradise was the worst game in the Burnout Series

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
To the goons that were talking about Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy... thank you. I'd forgotten my new computer could run all those emulators I wanted to try, and Dolphin works great. I downloaded those Mario games and they are both pretty sweet, and now I want to see what other GC games I missed out on. I played Galaxy last night for about an hour and it was p fun.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I think I'm done with PC gaming. I'm gonna get a Scorpio when it comes out, and take a more relaxed approach to video games.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The only time Total War is any good is if you have Europa Barbarorum installed. There's no reason to play any of them past Medieval 2.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Haier posted:

To the goons that were talking about Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy... thank you. I'd forgotten my new computer could run all those emulators I wanted to try, and Dolphin works great. I downloaded those Mario games and they are both pretty sweet, and now I want to see what other GC games I missed out on. I played Galaxy last night for about an hour and it was p fun.

beware of Rogue Squadron, a year ago they would boot up but dolphin could not emulate some of the functions that drew the landscapes or allowed you to orient yourself. You will play as a gray blob flying in a see of blob until you explode on a star destroyer over and over

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
2D zelda games are the only good ones

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Arena death match games like UT and quake 3 are and always have been better than counterstrike.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pawl posted:

this includes Zelda 2

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Tunnel Snakes do not, in fact, rule.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Fallout 4 is good and cool.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Pawl posted:

i used to think this, and still kinda do, but BotW is really good (specifically because it really emulates the 2d zeldas in terms of exploration)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceClown posted:

hey now, lets not go crazy

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I've modified it in a lot of meaningful yet arbitrary ways and it's become one of the best games I've ever played.

A short list of what I've done:

1.) Got a regrowth mod that adds actual vegetation everywhere. Just makes the map more interesting and feels better.

2.) Got a spawn mod that massively increases the amount of patrols and vertibirds that spawn

3.) Got a leveled list mod that redistributes power armor across the factions. BoS deploys T-45 with knights, T-51 with paladins and T-60 with star paladins (when they are deployed with power armor, of course). Gunner colonels are often found in suits of X-01.

4.) Got a raider overhaul mod that adds a ton of content to raiders. Also a lot more raider power armor is deployed.

5.) Multiple weapon and armor mods, specifically centered around adding as much content as possible to the game. I still don't know half the poo poo in these weapon and armor packs and I'm 10 hours into a savegame.

6.) Power Armor mod that makes the wearer invulnerable so long as it's armored. It's imperfect and there are a lot of tweaks I want to do with it, but I just haven't had the time to really mess with it in the creation kit. As it stands though, it makes power armored enemies an extremely serious threat, as they can soak up thousands of rounds of small arms fire before you even put a dent in their armor. In Fallout canon, a single soldier in power armor was capable of liberating an entire town single handedly and this really manifests with this mod. When heavy support rolls onto the scene, it's time for a real change in tactics.

7.) Hardcore damage mod. Everything is lethal, even moreso than on Survival. This is a two way street, no more bullet sponge soft targets. Again, imperfect. Ideally I would like to make Deathclaws, Mirelurk Queens and Sentry bots just as unkillable as power armored soldiers, but again I just haven't had the time to mess with it in the creation kit.

8.) Damage threshold mod, readds the very much loved mechanic of damage thresholds to some armors so that you need more than a pipe rifle to kill a gunner sergeant clad in ballistic armor.

9.) Vertibird enhancement mod that makes them extremely resilient (almost impossible to bring down with small arms) and also gives them a lot of firepower. The sound of vertibirds in the air is an indicator to run for cover before it spots you and lights you up.

That's about the extent of it. Almost everything else is minor cosmetic stuff (like weather mods that make weather that much better) or requirements for other mods.

It's fun to kill an hour or so every so often to play in the sandbox of post apocalyptic hell. I completely ignore quests and just enjoy the gunplay, which is actually really nice once you get rid of the loving terrible bullet sponges. Yes I realize I made power armored units are even bigger bullet sponges than anything in the base game, but it's nice. They feel like bosses and if you don't have power armor with you when you run into some heavy metal ground pounders it's a pretty frantic fight of hit and run tactics to try and destroy some bit of their armor so you can actually hurt them. Or the BoS/Gunners come in and ruin the party with CAS vertibirds laying down a poo poo ton of fire support which blows right through power armor.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

SpaceClown posted:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Arcsquad12 posted:

having intentionally clunky controls to make it feel more desperate. I hate games that purposefully handicap the player like that in the name of difficulty,
In related news, Killer 7 was a terrible game.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Feminasty Slut posted:

Arena death match games like UT and quake 3 are and always have been better than counterstrike.

But like counterstrike they are poo poo if not played on a LAN.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 11, 2017

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Downwell is the best game ever made.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceClown posted:

I've modified it in a lot of meaningful yet arbitrary ways and it's become one of the best games I've ever played.

A short list of what I've done:

1.) Got a regrowth mod that adds actual vegetation everywhere. Just makes the map more interesting and feels better.

2.) Got a spawn mod that massively increases the amount of patrols and vertibirds that spawn

3.) Got a leveled list mod that redistributes power armor across the factions. BoS deploys T-45 with knights, T-51 with paladins and T-60 with star paladins (when they are deployed with power armor, of course). Gunner colonels are often found in suits of X-01.

4.) Got a raider overhaul mod that adds a ton of content to raiders. Also a lot more raider power armor is deployed.

5.) Multiple weapon and armor mods, specifically centered around adding as much content as possible to the game. I still don't know half the poo poo in these weapon and armor packs and I'm 10 hours into a savegame.

6.) Power Armor mod that makes the wearer invulnerable so long as it's armored. It's imperfect and there are a lot of tweaks I want to do with it, but I just haven't had the time to really mess with it in the creation kit. As it stands though, it makes power armored enemies an extremely serious threat, as they can soak up thousands of rounds of small arms fire before you even put a dent in their armor. In Fallout canon, a single soldier in power armor was capable of liberating an entire town single handedly and this really manifests with this mod. When heavy support rolls onto the scene, it's time for a real change in tactics.

7.) Hardcore damage mod. Everything is lethal, even moreso than on Survival. This is a two way street, no more bullet sponge soft targets. Again, imperfect. Ideally I would like to make Deathclaws, Mirelurk Queens and Sentry bots just as unkillable as power armored soldiers, but again I just haven't had the time to mess with it in the creation kit.

8.) Damage threshold mod, readds the very much loved mechanic of damage thresholds to some armors so that you need more than a pipe rifle to kill a gunner sergeant clad in ballistic armor.

9.) Vertibird enhancement mod that makes them extremely resilient (almost impossible to bring down with small arms) and also gives them a lot of firepower. The sound of vertibirds in the air is an indicator to run for cover before it spots you and lights you up.

That's about the extent of it. Almost everything else is minor cosmetic stuff (like weather mods that make weather that much better) or requirements for other mods.

It's fun to kill an hour or so every so often to play in the sandbox of post apocalyptic hell. I completely ignore quests and just enjoy the gunplay, which is actually really nice once you get rid of the loving terrible bullet sponges. Yes I realize I made power armored units are even bigger bullet sponges than anything in the base game, but it's nice. They feel like bosses and if you don't have power armor with you when you run into some heavy metal ground pounders it's a pretty frantic fight of hit and run tactics to try and destroy some bit of their armor so you can actually hurt them. Or the BoS/Gunners come in and ruin the party with CAS vertibirds laying down a poo poo ton of fire support which blows right through power armor.

is ther a mod that makes the story not suck

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

you know how fallout 4 has an entire faction that's supposed to be the good guys, who insanely believe that manufactured automatons deserve human rights?

how about that huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

basic hitler posted:

you know how fallout 4 has an entire faction that's supposed to be the good guys, who insanely believe that manufactured automatons deserve human rights?

how about that huh.

Who also do this under the guise of being the underground railroad of pre-emancipation US

while there are actual, literal human slaves littered all over the setting and even in the DLCs. One of the companions was even a former slave, iirc.