Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

In the UK we say '5th of November' usually.

Australia too.

I love it when yanks panic about things being different, you can hear the brain squeaking sideways. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

Really? In daily speech, do you say "November 5th" or "the 5th of November"?

In :sweden: : "Den 5:e november" Because its the 5th day of that month, which is the eleventh month of that year. From Fastest to Slowest.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Well, we say it "November 5th", and that's why we write it that way.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

Well, we say it "November 5th", and that's why we write it that way.

Yeah and thats wrong, enjoy.

Its like saying 4 hours 34 seconds and 15 mins left until we launch that spaceshuttle guys!!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I usually don't mention dates that often in every day speech, just the actual date number... like today's the 10th.
Which I suppose lends more credence to the rest of the world being right about their way of doing date formats.

Hope that helps!

Boy, can't wait to get some more gameplay footage to tide over this thread for a few hours.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Gejnor posted:

Yeah and thats wrong, enjoy.

Its like saying 4 hours 34 seconds and 15 mins left until we launch that spaceshuttle guys!!

Makes you wonder how they became the world's most powerful country. But yes, the Month: Day: Year pattern is infinitely inferior to the Day: Month: Year pattern. I can only assume they adopted the inferior pattern to try and spite us Brit's after they seceded.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Most of our annoying systems are actually legacy holdovers from when we were as British as you guys, we just never fixed them since the plural noun of American is Argument.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol you're arguing about dates in the warhammer thread

Goodfeila
Apr 25, 2010

I want to see this Lizardmen cinematic

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

lol you're arguing about dates in the warhammer thread

Still not the worst discussion in this thread.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Goodfeila posted:

I want to see this Lizardmen cinematic

That's a bold idea, I think I will too.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
What are you talking about, this is clearly the teaser trailer for the new Battletoads game.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Remember, remember, november 5th.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

shalcar posted:

Australia too.

I love it when yanks panic about things being different, you can hear the brain squeaking sideways. :allears:

hahahha yeah dumb americans, they're so unlike other humans

why can't they just talk what like we talk

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

hahahha yeah dumb americans, they're so unlike other humans

why can't they just talk what like we talk

This but unironically

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

9/11: the worst November ever.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nordick posted:

This but unironically

*is from the only country to somehow out-america America, murders a fuckload of abos*

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

jokes posted:

9/11: the worst November ever.

Election day was November 8 so yeah

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

In the UK we say '5th of November' usually.

Gunpowder treason and plot

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I ended up getting both Beastmen and Wood Elves. The WE start seems very difficult, and Amber is annoying.

Beastmen are everything I've ever wanted in an army, though. Minotaurs and a Gorebull hero make sieges a piece of cake...and also everything else.

Now if only there were a tabletop wargame where I could continue my love of this new army.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Where is the "Old Friend" info, though? I mean I want DINOSAURS RIDING DINOSAURS as much as any red-blooded nerd out there, but what about the Old Friend thing?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Devorum posted:

I ended up getting both Beastmen and Wood Elves. The WE start seems very difficult, and Amber is annoying.

Beastmen are everything I've ever wanted in an army, though. Minotaurs and a Gorebull hero make sieges a piece of cake...and also everything else.

Now if only there were a tabletop wargame where I could continue my love of this new army.

Wood Elves start out stupid but suddenly become stupid easy after you hit the amber-fuelled tipping point

Gorebulls are made of pure fun

*gazes forlornly at metal minotaur hero*

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gonkish posted:

Where is the "Old Friend" info, though? I mean I want DINOSAURS RIDING DINOSAURS as much as any red-blooded nerd out there, but what about the Old Friend thing?

It's gonna never actually be released, it's just used to stoke fervor amongst the consumers. At first we thought it'd be Krell, then we thought it'd be someone else, then it was gonna be blank. It'll end up with us thinking Lord Kroak! for lizardpersons as a LL, then some idiot high elf, then another, etc. all the way till TW:W3 where they'll reveal it to be Franz Ascendant.

This.. is my dream.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

jokes posted:

It's gonna never actually be released, it's just used to stoke fervor amongst the consumers. At first we thought it'd be Krell, then we thought it'd be someone else, then it was gonna be blank. It'll end up with us thinking Lord Kroak! for lizardpersons as a LL, then some idiot high elf, then another, etc. all the way till TW:W3 where they'll reveal it to be Franz Ascendant.

This.. is my dream.

Total War: Age of Sigmar

Get ready

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

shalcar posted:

Australia too.

It's not panic really, we just don't kind of expect it. We sort of expect English words and numbers to work like they do in the Bible. George Washington wrote it that way so we should respect it, you know?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

It was almost over

They had stopped arguing about where to write numbers in stupid shorthand dating systems

We were almost to a new page

And you hosed it all up

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Devorum posted:

Age of Sigmar has actually improved quite a lot as a game. Beastmen are more more viable there then in Warhammer Fantasy.

The setting still sucks however.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What's the setting? Like is there a geography like in WHFB? I feel like it was just a bunch of worlds haphazardly linked together with "magic".

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Just when I'm starting to have fun, the game starts doing that bullshit where I kill Karl Franz' Doom Stack in a frantic, pitched battle and it doesn't matter because literally two turns later he's back with a full stack of triple gold bar high-tier units, despite only holding Altdorf.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Age of Sigmar has actually improved quite a lot as a game. Beastmen are more more viable there then in Warhammer Fantasy.

The setting still sucks however.

I wouldn't know, no one has played in my area since about three months post-release. There's one guy who comes in and forlornly tries to get people to play it while we're playing KoW, but that's about it.

Truth be told, the game could have improved a thousandfold and I'd still not forgive them for blowing up the world and then dumping a watery turd in our hands afterwards and expecting us to be okay with it.

jokes posted:

What's the setting? Like is there a geography like in WHFB? I feel like it was just a bunch of worlds haphazardly linked together with "magic".

There used to be a geography with loads of history and lore.

Now it's just "realms" strung together in a weird dimension, where you can't tell the difference between the Sigmarines and the Khornites and Slaanesh no longer exists because they need the game to be rated G to hook the kiddos.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 11, 2017

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it's extra funny too how they discontinue the setting right when a ton of really good warhammer fantasy video games come out

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I kind of regret not getting into the tabletop version back in seventh and eighth edition. I was playing 40k at the time but even just one army was such an investment in time and money branching out just seemed too cost prohibitive.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

it's extra funny too how they discontinue the setting right when a ton of really good warhammer fantasy video games come out

That's why a bunch of Warhammer Fantasy video games are coming out. They're idiots so they only leased out the IP when they decided it was dead and wouldn't eat into their model sales.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Sigmar, in a vacuum, is kinda middling. It's got a Moorcockian vibe to it, and there's some individual interesting parts (mainly involving the lizardmen) but everything feels super pointless and it's vastly less interesting than the previous setting. Also, Archaon grows even more powerful and recieves a prophetic vision of him killing Sigmar. Yes, he wins the Age of Sigmar

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

RentACop posted:

Sigmar, in a vacuum, is kinda middling. It's got a Moorcockian vibe to it, and there's some individual interesting parts (mainly involving the lizardmen) but everything feels super pointless and it's vastly less interesting than the previous setting. Also, Archaon grows even more powerful and recieves a prophetic vision of him killing Sigmar. Yes, he wins the Age of Sigmar

As a mostly-onlooker, I just really dislike the designs in AOS, and everything I hear about the lore is dull, dull, dull. It's just really generic high fantasy, missing the over the top, ridiculous stuff that 40k has. WFB was a mashup of tropes, to be sure, but they all had a twist to them, such as the way the "protagonist" human faction wasn't some sort of noble medieval analog, it was an early-modern, fractious pastiche of the HRE.

I've heard the rules actually got a lot better and the tabletop game is more playable than ever before, but I don't care because it has baloon-dwarfs with excessive gears and tophats.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

jokes posted:

Kinda I think. But the setting is way way too high fantasy and pretty much impossible to relate to. I like the rule set now, but the setting I can barely understand. Which is why I do hope they bring back the Old World.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 11, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Carnage so thick we're gonna need boats to get through

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Devorum posted:

Just when I'm starting to have fun, the game starts doing that bullshit where I kill Karl Franz' Doom Stack in a frantic, pitched battle and it doesn't matter because literally two turns later he's back with a full stack of triple gold bar high-tier units, despite only holding Altdorf.

Sounds like he hired a bunch of regiments of renown, although I suspect you're exaggerating about the full stack as there aren't enough of them for that. They're special units which you can only have one each of at a time. They're based on a regular unit but get max experience and some kind of special ability or stat bonus and can be hired instantly anywhere in friendly territory and don't require any buildings. It is kind of bullshit how they can give you half a stack instantly but the player can do it too if they have the DLC. I think maybe the AI can do it even if you don't have the DLC, which is also bullshit.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I kinda suspect the AI always had that second stack, he just replaced the general with Franz once he recovered from wounded status.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

Sounds like he hired a bunch of regiments of renown, although I suspect you're exaggerating about the full stack as there aren't enough of them for that. They're special units which you can only have one each of at a time. They're based on a regular unit but get max experience and some kind of special ability or stat bonus and can be hired instantly anywhere in friendly territory and don't require any buildings. It is kind of bullshit how they can give you half a stack instantly but the player can do it too if they have the DLC. I think maybe the AI can do it even if you don't have the DLC, which is also bullshit.

Just 4 RoR. A cannon, a rocket battery, some cavalry and some swordsmen. The rest were all normal troops, all with at least 1 gold bar of XP. Luckily, I was able to distract them with my brayherd while I ran off to heal up from the previous battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the date system in The Rise of Nagash book is confusing to me as I'm v bad at multiples and what nots

Ok book so far btw maybe this battle that began the book will end soon only been like 80 pages

• Locked thread