Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Since the NYC thread is archived and all reviews are from 2016...

I am going to NYC for 4 days, going into Manhattan for sight seeing every day.
We will be eating street food/quick lunches mostly to save time for other activities.
Plans so far:
Momofuku noodle bar for Ramen
Junior's in Grand Central for cheesecake

I would like recommendations for:
- a place near/on the Highline to have lunch in/pick up food for lunch to eat on the Highline (I assume there are benches etc?)
- places near/in Bedford-Stuyvesant (Quincy Street and Broadway, our closest metro is Gates Av) that have good breakfast
- a dinner location in Manhattan, dinner for 2, preferably <100$

Also, are the hotdogs at Grey's Papaya as good as they say? If so what is the best one to order?

EDIT: I am an idiot, shouldn't do math signs when I am tired. That was supposed to mean UNDER 100$ haha

Hopper fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

For your expensive dinner for 2: if you like Sushi and are adventurous eaters, O Ya in Manhattan is delicious and the presentation is some of the best I've seen. I went with my girlfriend and got the tasting menu. It's pricey though - after tip and tax, it was close to $500.

https://o-ya.restaurant/o-ya-nyc/

Here's a gallery of the dishes I had:

https://goo.gl/photos/o5izknT8TBhbCKg36

As for the hotdogs, I like them. There is more than one "Papaya x" place, and they're all basically the same so don't worry about going to the wrong one or whatever. Sauerkraut and mustard is the way I get them. Be sure to compare them to Nathan's.

Do yourself a favor and stop at Bibble and Sip in Midtown and get a cream puff.

If you're near Rockefeller Center and looking for a good place for lunch that isn't too expensive, HAMA punches well above its price point (Japanese / Sushi). Hours are limited though.

Other than that, you really can't go wrong with anything in Hell's Kitchen.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 6, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Sorry I ment under 100 $ for dinner, I am half asleep and mixed the sign up. But thanks for taking the time to recommend that, we both love eating sushi/other exotic food but that's a bit too pricey. I will definitely check HAMA though, as we might do Top of the Rock anyway, so we will be around there. And Bibble and Sip are now on the list as well, I love all things Matcha and the GF will love those cream puffs, too.

Oh yeah: What's a good proper bagel shop? In Germany we only get mediocre bagels and I don't know what a traditional jewish style bagel would be like but want to find out.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 6, 2017

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hopper posted:

Sorry I ment under 100 $ for dinner, I am half asleep and mixed the sign up. But thanks for taking the time to recommend that, we both love eating sushi/other exotic food but that's a bit too pricey. I will definitely check HAMA though, as we might do Top of the Rock anyway, so we will be around there. And Bibble and Sip are now on the list as well, I love all things Matcha and the GF will love those cream puffs, too.

If you don't mind hopping on the PATH to Hoboken, The Cuban has really good food and fantastic service. I've never had to wait.

http://www.thecubannj.com/

Tacuba in Hell's Kitchen isn't mind blowing, but it's pretty tasty Mexican food if a little over priced (like most things in Manhattan).

I'm sure there's good Latin food in Harlem too, but everywhere I've tried is so-so (granted I've only tried a hand full).

Edit: All in all, the food in NYC is mostly above average, but doesn't really live up to the hype except in price.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 6, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hopper posted:

- a place near/on the Highline to have lunch in/pick up food for lunch to eat on the Highline (I assume there are benches etc?)
There's an Artichoke very near Highline. I've been informed in the NYC thread that it wasn't the optimal choice but I thought it was alright. You can easily see it from the Highline. There's also what I remember as a mid-sized cafeteria-type place on Highline itself but, well, once we found that we'd already been to Artichoke...
(this is all based on a 2013 visit so things may have subtly changed)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Hopper posted:

Since the NYC thread is archived and all reviews are from 2016...

I am going to NYC for 4 days, going into Manhattan for sight seeing every day.
We will be eating street food/quick lunches mostly to save time for other activities.
Plans so far:
Momofuku noodle bar for Ramen
Junior's in Grand Central for cheesecake

I would like recommendations for:
- places near/in Bedford-Stuyvesant (Quincy Street and Broadway, our closest metro is Gates Av) that have good breakfast
- a dinner location in Manhattan, dinner for 2, preferably <100$

Also, are the hotdogs at Grey's Papaya as good as they say? If so what is the best one to order?

EDIT: I am an idiot, shouldn't do math signs when I am tired. That was supposed to mean UNDER 100$ haha

You might consider Ivan Ramen as an alternative to Momofuku.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

drgitlin posted:

You might consider Ivan Ramen as an alternative to Momofuku.

I was gonna say this too. Momofuku's ramen was merely okay when I went there. Some other dishes were better executed. Ivan ramen was good.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm on my way to London for a week, staying near St Paul's. My girlfriend is with me and we're looking for a little bit of everything - pubs, high tea, nice dinners, anything as long as its tasty.

Don't worry about cost either way.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I heard good things about the tearoom at Fortnum and Mason from a friend who works in a high class hotel in London.
I haven't had tea there myself, last time I went for afternoon tea was 5 years ago or so. But I had a look at the tearoom last year when I went to F&M to stock up on tea and it definitely looked very nice and they do both classic and high tea. It is on the pricey side though and I think my friend said they have a dress code.

You may need to reserve table some days in advance. But even if you don't go there for afternoon tea, the place is worth a visit. They sell all kinds of traditional English accessories and clothing, and their selection of loose tea on the ground floor is fantastic.

Are you from Britain? If not and you want to try a good pie I recommend finding a Pie Minister. It is takeaway/fast food but the pies are fantastic. They are all over the place.

Also a warning: Beware of Weatherspoons chain pubs they have drinks but their food is disgusting. I made the mistake once and my fish and chips was a square piece of frozen fish that was deep fried and looked more like a Mac McDonalds Apple pie. Don't eat at those chain pubs.

And in case you like Ramen: Kanada-Ya on St. Giles High Street is great.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 7, 2017

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks for the tips. This is my first time in the UK. Any recommendations for a romantic dinner joint?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately I can't help you there, I live in Germany, and since I spend all my free time exploring when in London I haven't been to a "proper restaurant" even though I have been there about 10 times now. I am more into local "street food" wherever I go.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

We do have a thread specifically for London, though, I'm sure someone will be able to point you towards something: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3447751

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Hopper posted:

Oh yeah: What's a good proper bagel shop? In Germany we only get mediocre bagels and I don't know what a traditional jewish style bagel would be like but want to find out.

Ess-A-Bagel. Best bagels in NYC, which means best bagels in the world. Try a few, with different combinations of cured, smoked, and pickled fish. At least in the U.S., nova (smoked salmon) is pretty common with cream cheese on bagels, but sable and sturgeon are very rare delicacies, and priced accordingly. You won't regret trying them, though.
http://www.ess-a-bagel.com/

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have never seen a bad bagel shop in the NY metro area. The level of competition in the bagel and deli world over there weed out the sub-par pretty darn quick. It's like salmon in Alaska. All the bad salmon gets fed to the dogs, and all the bad bagel bakers are sent to New Jersey to pay penance for their crimes. :c00lbert:

Explore whatever's close by. Find a favorite. You're gonna be eating bagels every day anyway, or the trip's been wasted.

Now I want a bagel....

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 9, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Trip Report: austin is great and we didn't really venture off the beaten path for meals

Micklethwait had sublime beef ribs, and pretty good everything else (not a bbq expert but i do have a smoker and enjoy making my own)
Tacodeli and Torchys were both excellent for tacos. I preferred torchy's breakfast tacos over tacodeli, but tacodeli had a really excellent steak taco called the cowboy. Torchy's queso was fuckin amazing and life changing.

snooze AM eatery is fuckin dope for breakfast

Homeslice pizza seemed like a good NY style pizza but again, no expert on how authentic it is.

Shake shack isn't based in austin but makes a tasty burg and we dont have them in seattle which makes me sad.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 10, 2017

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hi!

I'm going out to San Jose, CA for a weeklong nerd convention in June. I've never been before and am looking for good places to eat. I'll probably be staying somewhere near the downtown area as that's where my events will be, but am happy to Uber/take the lightrail places as I'm from NYC and can take public transportation.

I eat everything and am not too concerned with prices. Thank you!

(Also if people have neighborhood suggestions for places to stay, pray do tell)

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

La Victorias is oft hyped up taqueria that I remember being really good.
We have a bay area thread that may get you more recs

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

snyprmag posted:

La Victorias is oft hyped up taqueria that I remember being really good.
We have a bay area thread that may get you more recs

Good to know, thank you!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Yes, La Victoria was the best food I had in San Jose. Make sure you try the orange sauce!

We went to a more upscale Mexican restaurant called Oaxaca (and tried grasshoppers there), but the more casual, cheaper La Victoria was better.

Original Joe's had good old-school Italian-American food, but was a little pricy. I'm sure you can find better in NYC.

We also took a cab to In-N-Out Burger, which lived up to all the hype.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Going to be in East Hampton Connecticut at the beginning of June. I'm interested in any opinions for any kind of food, but won't be there terribly long. I think at least one dinner covered, but probably need to find food for two breakfasts and one dinner (just a weekend trip). I think we are staying just south of the Airport.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 13, 2017

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

Going to be in East Hampton Connecticut at the beginning of June. I'm interested in any opinions for any kind of food, but won't be there terribly long. I think at least one dinner covered, but probably need to find food for two breakfasts and one dinner (just a weekend trip). I think we are staying just south of the Airport.

You can't go to that area and not have a steamed cheeseburger. Check out for that and also for breakfast is O'Rourke's Diner in Middletown. They make pretty awesome breakfast and also do steamed cheeseburgers. If by airport you mean the Hartford airport, that's not really all that close to East Hampton and I may have some other recommendations too. Bear's Smokehouse is just south of the airport and is some drat good barbecue. There's also another good breakfast place in West Hartford called The Quaker Diner. They are cash only though, FYI.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

rockcity posted:

You can't go to that area and not have a steamed cheeseburger. Check out for that and also for breakfast is O'Rourke's Diner in Middletown. They make pretty awesome breakfast and also do steamed cheeseburgers. If by airport you mean the Hartford airport, that's not really all that close to East Hampton and I may have some other recommendations too. Bear's Smokehouse is just south of the airport and is some drat good barbecue. There's also another good breakfast place in West Hartford called The Quaker Diner. They are cash only though, FYI.

TYVM. Really appreciate it.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
My companion and I are major foodies and enjoy active city trips with a big gastronomic part. Commonly, we walk around the city the whole day and go for a very nice fine dining experience in the evening. We try to find local spots and places that are harder to find back home or that are world-known to be superb. In London, for example, we had a world famous ice-cream for lunch (don't judge ;-) ) and in the evening enjoyed a michelin-starred Indian, which we cannot find in our own neighborhood, and managed to do something similar for a couple of days straight. I was hoping to repeat the experience but then for Stockholm.
So, we enjoy unique/known places and fine-dining restaurants with tasting menu's. We enjoy every type of cuisine (Asian, vegetarian, nordic, ... ), nothing is out-of-bounds and more special is generally better in our eyes, so we commonly go for those more unique experiences. Our budget allows for all possible options.
Given the above description, any places and restaurants you would recommend for major foodies in Stockholm? We are thinking of visiting a couple of days at the end of July/start of August.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

I would love to hear if anyone has suggestions for Berlin, Vienna, Salzburg, Fussen/Bavaria, or Munich! We'll eat anything, from food trucks all the way up to fancy restaurants.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

rockcity posted:

I never knew steamed hams were a real thing!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

dead lettuce posted:

I would love to hear if anyone has suggestions for Berlin, Vienna, Salzburg, Fussen/Bavaria, or Munich! We'll eat anything, from food trucks all the way up to fancy restaurants.

Munich:

Weißes Bräuhaus for the best traditional Bavarian food, but must reserve at least 1-2 weeks up front. Located a 2 min walk from Marienplatz (two center).
Alternatively Augustiner am Dom right at Frauenkirche is good.
However, all Bavarian Restaurants should be a safe bet, I haven't been to any that were not good.
If they have it, I suggest Münchner Schnitzel, it is a Schnitzel with Dijon mustard and radish in the crust, tastes amazing.

Türkitch in Humboldstraße for the best Döner Kebap in town. I love the normal meat dürüm or if you are/like vegetarian try the haloumi dürüm or falafel dürüm. As for sauce: ask for a mix of Türkitch and Spezial sauces.

Takumi in Schleißheimerstraße is the best Ramen place in town. Run by an all Japanese crew and hugely popular. They don't do reservations and if you go for dinner, it is best to not go there before 8.30. There may be a short wait but it is worth it.

If you want a good burger, Ruffs Burgers at Rindermarkt.

The best beergarden in downtown Munich is probably the one at Chinesischer Turm in Englischer Garten or Hofbräukeller at Wiener Platz.

Also go to Platzl for Schubecks icecrem. The guy is overrated in my opinion but his ice cream is amazing. Especially the Litchi-pepper-something, can't remember the third ingredient, or Gurke (Cucumber)-Dill flavours.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I never knew steamed hams were a real thing!

They are and they are pretty interesting. The meat itself is just ok. It's very moist but a lot of that is water. However, the key to the burger is the ludicrous amount of cheese on it that is also steamed.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Kalenden posted:

My companion and I are major foodies and enjoy active city trips with a big gastronomic part. Commonly, we walk around the city the whole day and go for a very nice fine dining experience in the evening. We try to find local spots and places that are harder to find back home or that are world-known to be superb. In London, for example, we had a world famous ice-cream for lunch (don't judge ;-) ) and in the evening enjoyed a michelin-starred Indian, which we cannot find in our own neighborhood, and managed to do something similar for a couple of days straight. I was hoping to repeat the experience but then for Stockholm.
So, we enjoy unique/known places and fine-dining restaurants with tasting menu's. We enjoy every type of cuisine (Asian, vegetarian, nordic, ... ), nothing is out-of-bounds and more special is generally better in our eyes, so we commonly go for those more unique experiences. Our budget allows for all possible options.
Given the above description, any places and restaurants you would recommend for major foodies in Stockholm? We are thinking of visiting a couple of days at the end of July/start of August.

Traditional(-ish) Nordic (not necessarily particularly traditional, but does not include waifish blond man whispering to you about foraging): Ulla Winbladh (high-quality Swedish grandma food), Oaxen Slip, Den Gyldene Freden, Rolfs kök, Mathias Dahlgren Matbaren (Predominantly but not exclusively Nordic, used to be the casual alternative to the chef's now-closed fine dining flagship).

New Nordic (may include tall blond hipster): Oaxen Krog (probably the best restaurant in Stockholm until Frantzén finishes relocating), Volt, Gastrologik (pretentious even for Scandinavian fine dining)

Other fine dining (may fall into above category depending on how pedantic you feel): Ekstedt (meat), Rutabaga (not meat)

Fusion (read: modern Nordic but stealing tricks from Japanese cuisine, complementary forest-whispering may contain additional weeb): Frantzén (if they re-open by the time you get here, previously best-in-Sweden), Esperanto

Other things: Green Rabbit (bakery/cafe, get an open-faced shrimp sandwich of some sort), Pharmarium (Cocktail bar first, good generally Nordic food pairings for the cocktail menu second), Fjäderholmarnas Krog (Go some day when the weather is good, the food isn't bad but the view is better. Day/weekend trip to the archipelago is also the most authentic bougie Stockholmare experience you can get).

If you're here in August, try to find somewhere advertising kräftskiva / kräftfestival / crayfish whatever. The tradional-ish places tend to be the best bet. If possible, find a sufficiently drunk swede to teach you to sing.

For cuisines other than Nordic, Sushi Sho and Imouto are good (by the standard of sushi not in Japan), but not really anything you couldn't get elsewhere.

Waci fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 19, 2017

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Thank you, this is perfect! Weißes Bräuhaus looks wonderful and we were looking for kebab recommendations too.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

dead lettuce posted:

In Berlin, Reinstoff is absolutely amazing. It's got two Michelin stars so it won't be cheap, but it's well worth it. They do two menus; near (local ingredients) and far (foie grad etc). Get the former.

Horvath is also amazing, also has two stars, also worth a visit.

For cheap eats, get a currywurst.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

dead lettuce posted:

Vienna: Fourth-best meal of my life was at Pizzeria Valentino Restaurant. Berggasse 6, 1090 Wien, Austria
My best-meals list is, obviously, intensely subjective and depends very strongly on how I was feeling that day and everything else that was going on for me at the time. But the spinach lasagne was excellent. Sit at the front and watch the chef use the big wood-fired oven next to the bar.
Three years ago I had a few good meals (and more than a few good beers) at Krah Krah, just off Schwedenplatz. I follow them on Facebook and occassionally I get to see pictures of bar-parties full of body-painted people.

Munich: I had a good time at the Augustiner Bräustuben. Landsberger Str. 19, 80339 München, Germany
It's an old beerhall that supposedly has been in operation more-or-less continuously for hundreds of years. It's not very big inside and I ended up sharing a table with a group of middle-aged Russians and the waitress' English extended to recognizing that my German was non-existant and finding me the English menu so I could point at what I wanted. I was there on a very rainy day in April, last year, and it was basically perfect for me then.

Somehow, and unfortunately I managed to avoid getting any recommendations from Hopper before my visit to Munich, but I survived. Listen to Hopper, he knows his stuff.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm going to be in Melbourne for a week and a half, and want to spend as much time as possible eating good food. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm open to all cuisines, and anywhere up to AU$150 or so.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

Munich: I had a good time at the Augustiner Bräustuben. Landsberger Str. 19, 80339 München, Germany
It's an old beerhall that supposedly has been in operation more-or-less continuously for hundreds of years. It's not very big inside and I ended up sharing a table with a group of middle-aged Russians and the waitress' English extended to recognizing that my German was non-existant and finding me the English menu so I could point at what I wanted. I was there on a very rainy day in April, last year, and it was basically perfect for me then.

Somehow, and unfortunately I managed to avoid getting any recommendations from Hopper before my visit to Munich, but I survived. Listen to Hopper, he knows his stuff.

Thanks for the praise, I try my best. I strongly believe you can learn a lot about a country and its people by what they eat, however, I am therefore more interested and knowledgeable in everyday food than Michelin star dining.
Though I may soon be able to provide insight on Dallmayr's 2 star kitchen, as I have an outstanding invitation to go there in July or August.

As for Augustiner Bräustuben in Landsberger Straße, that is a very solid tip. I usually do not include it as it is a bit further from downtown and Augustiner am Dom is essentially the same.

Slight warning:
There is also Zum Augustiner directly in the pedestrian shopping mile Neuhauser Straße but I do not recommend that one any more. They have decided to only serve Käsespätzle on Mondays which is an unforgivably stupid decision when it THE traditional vegetarian Bavarian dish. This severely limits proper vegetarian options aside from "salad" and all the other vegetarian options (only one per day) are either not traditional or have an air of "we just left the meat out".

More Munich tips

A traditional Bavarian street food is Leberkässemmel, Schlemmermeyer on Viktualienmarkt has some of the best. If they ask you what you want on it say Süßen Senf (sweet mustard) do not go with hot mustard or god forbid ketchup.

If you like to try unusual things, there is also Pferdemetzgerei Kaspar Wörle on Viktualienmarkt near Schlemmermeyer. This is the only place that sells horse meat in Munich I know of. Horse meat is more popular in northern Germany, so if you go to the Cologne area you may get better and more choices there, but this one also has a daily snack like horse Currywurst or horse Gulasch as takeaway option. Over here horse meat is legal to sell and is regulated as strictly as if not stricter than beef.

A very cheap and tasty snack can be had at Kohinoor in Adolf Kolpingstraße near Hauptbahnhof. This is actually my Indian grocery store of choice but they also offer hot vegetarian Samosas at 1€ a piece at the counter. These are about palm sized and I usually get 2 as a snack when I am in the area as they are great to pick up and eat on the go.

Picnic in Barer Straße is great for vegan/vegetarian exotic food. This restaurant is run by a German with an all-Asian kitchen crew and they serve vegetarian/vegan Asian dishes like dals, curries etc. (They did offer addons like a chicken or lamb skewer when I was there.) I met the owner Markus in Thailand by coincidence when he was looking for new inspiration. We had a long talk about food and his idea behind the place is (in my words and severely condensed) to offer asian/asian-inspired vegetarian/vegan food as he believes we eat too much meat (which in Bavaria is definitely true, see our limited choice of vegetarian Bavarian dishes). However, he is totally not anti-meat nor a militant vegan. I decided to check his restaurant out when I came home and me and my friends were not disappointed. The dishes here are not inexpensive but not overpriced either.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 22, 2017

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Hey, I'm flying out to Cleveland this week to visit family, any good places to visit? I'd actually like to check out a couple non-terrible (if they exist, I have no idea) Midwest chains in addition to any "good" resteraunts since I haven't been out there in 15+ years.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Most popular chain would probably be Melt for some reason, B spot is Simon's burger chain. Will you be West/downtown/East?

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Wow, thank you Hopper, ExecuDork, and drgitlin! Who knew there were so many Germans ITT, just my luck :)

Berlin - I will definitely try a currywurst. I visited Cologne and Bonn last year and didn't get a chance so it is on my list, and should be easier to find in Berlin. The 2 Michelin-starred restaurants look great. I may make a reservation, but will need to weigh if I have enough bag space to pack a set of nicer clothes for a single meal. And if I really ought to spend $400+ on a single meal...

Munich - I have never tried horse meat and as an American am a bit (irrationally) afraid of it. I may try it just for fun. It turns out we will be having dinner with a relative one night so we might not have as much time as I'd like but we will definitely try Weißes Bräuhaus or Augustiner am Dom.Thanks also for the recommendations on the Biergärtens! We plan to ride bikes around town so I think we will be fortunate enough to stop at both.

I also appreciate the Asian food and vegetarian options, as it's possible I might start to get tired of traditional German food towards the end of the trip. Thankfully we will be visiting our vegetarian friends in Freiburg as our last stop!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I'm not German, just been to Berlin a couple of times recently and like fancy schmancy food. ;)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Oh, another good thing to do in Berlin is book a table for cake and coffee (or drinks) in the revolving restaurant on the TV tower. The view is amazing.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Most popular chain would probably be Melt for some reason, B spot is Simon's burger chain. Will you be West/downtown/East?

Believe the family is east but will be spending at least one day downtown. Thanks for the Symon tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Melt is popular for the novelty and because it was on Man vs. Food. I would've happily recommended it before they expanded everywhere though.

talktapes posted:

Believe the family is east but will be spending at least one day downtown. Thanks for the Symon tip.

Do you have a budget? Some other places downtown would be Greenhouse Tavern and the Butcher and Brewer. Lola is also downtown but it's a bit pricey. The West Side Market isn't far from downtown and has a lot of nice places like the Great Lakes Brewing Company ( I recommend taking a tour of the brewery if you have time). There's also a stand inside the West Side Market that's famous for their gyro's, Steve's Gryos. They're huge. The West Side Market itself has limited hours so double check before you go. There's tons of restaurants around there if the market itself is closed. Clevelanders love corned beef and without a doubt the best restaurant for that would be Slyman's. Another popular place would be Happy Dog. They have lots of different toppings for hot dogs and you can get as many as you want. There's one on the East and West Side.

Unfortunately, I only really know downtown and the West Side. You may want to check out the coventry area near Little Italy. There's a lot of trendy restaurants in Cleveland these days.